z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Veil - Chapter 32

by megsug


Obi sat in the room alone. Conya had left shortly after Lekan had slammed out of the house. He had tried to follow her, but she had waved him away before running up the stairs.

What had Lekan been talking about? Murder? Surely Conya hadn’t done anything purposefully to his brother. Wouldn’t she have said something?

Blinking and shifting uncomfortably in his chair before standing up, he frowned. Was there any credence in what Lekan was accusing Conya of? Did it matter? He growled, pacing without being truly aware he had started moving. Conya had told him that his brother hadn’t been good to her. It still meant that the man he had practically worshipped was dead, and she may have killed him. Now Obi loved her though.

He rubbed his face hard. Whatever his feelings, murder was wrong… Wasn’t it? He had killed men as a soldier and wasn’t deemed guilty. If his brother had been hurting her -- the mere thought of that made Obi’s teeth grind -- hadn’t she merely acted out of self-preservation? Not to mention, if his brother was still alive, he couldn’t rightfully be acting as he was around Conya, and he certainly wasn’t sorry that he was able to do so now.

What Lekan had said probably wasn’t even true. The boy always got carried away with himself, and his emotions had been high. The stress was definitely getting to him now. Conya was probably-

Mr. Fughi cleared his throat, standing in the door way. “Mr. Eshe, there is an issue that needs your attention.” His demeanor didn’t change when his master started.

“What is it?” Obi stopped pacing, attempting to wrestle his expression into a calmer façade.

Turning away, Mr. Fughi said over his shoulder, “You should just come, Mr. Eshe. The issue is very close to drawing attention to itself, and that is something that would be very unfortunate for your household.”

Obi frowned in confusion and disapproval at Mr. Fughi’s manner before realizing what issue he had failed to attend to in the madness of the day. Hurrying after Mr. Fughi, he felt his heart sank as they approached the basement.

Ihenya.

Pounding could be heard on the other side of the door.

“We’re lucky the staff is not currently in the entryway. I think this would have alarmed a few of them. I’m not sure how long the animal has been there, or how it got there in the first place. It needs to be taken care of immediately.” Obi could not miss the sharp disapproval arming his butler’s every word. Forgetting the child down there when he had told her he would find better living conditions for her was unacceptable, and Mr. Fughi was letting him know it.

“I’ll take care of it. Thank you for letting me know.” It was strange to be meek and play the role of master in the same few words. He unlocked the door and opened it just enough to get in before slamming it shut.

Immediately, he sympathized with the girl as annoyed as he felt. The lightbulb must’ve gone out at some point because the stairway was pitch dark, and the room it led down to it was even worse. There wasn’t even the crack of light that slipped through the bottom of the door. “If you continue this,” he hissed, kneeling down, “You and I are going to be in a lot of trouble. I am sorry I didn’t come get your before now, but you need to stop this insanity.”

Iheyna sniffled. “I hate it down here. It smells, and I can’t sleep. The floor’s too hard!”

“I know it’s uncomfortable and scary-”

“I am not afraid!” Her voice jumped in pitch, shaking. She swung her fist into his shoulder. “I’m not.” She rubbed her cheek. “I just hate it down here, and I won’t stay.”

“I’m not going to make you stay down here, but I can’t get you out right now. My staff would see you, and I would be turned in, and you would be returned to the castle.”

She shook her head. “I can’t go back. I’m sorry I hit the door.” She started sobbing. “If I go back he’s going to hurt me.”

“Shh.” He hesitated and finally put his hand on her hair, petting it gently. “I’m not sending you back. I’m just asking you to be quiet for a few more hours, so I can make sure the coast is clear when I move you. I’ll get you some more pillows and a blanket and a candle.” He felt himself smile at her outraged intake of breath. “Maybe it will diffuse the smell down here, yeah?”

She nodded under his hand. “Thank you, Obi.”

“You’re welcome, Princess. Tonight. I’ll get you tonight. I promise.” He stood and left.

Mr. Fughi was standing at the door, expressionless.

“I need a blanket, a pillow, and a candle. Tell the staff I appreciate their hard work. I’m sending them out tonight, my treat.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:17 pm
View Likes
Rydia wrote a review...



Hi megsug!

Okay so this time I know I've read part of this before, see! Totally remembering these characters. In fact, I got curious and it turns out the chapters of this I've reviewed are 17 part 2, 18, 23 and 31. So that's it for the fun trivia, but if I point out something you've covered in one of those chapters I didn't read, feel free to ignore me.

Specifics

1. The first sentence doesn't grab me. Not every sentence of a story needs to have a pull and in fact it would be hard to read if they did but first sentences are pretty special. I think perhaps if we knew which room this was or had some significance attached to the room, it might be more interesting that Obi is there alone. Or more if there was something to immediately give us Obi's mind set at this moment. Is it a relaxed alone, or on edge, or sad? Emotions are a good hook, especially coming from a character who the reader is fond of.

A quick example would be something like 'The library felt colder now Obi was alone.'

2. Would it maybe be more interesting to start from Obi standing in the doorway to the room? Why does he go sit back down after failing to run after Conya and then get up again? He doesn't seem restless or rather his thoughts don't express the restlessness that his actions seem to imply? Maybe it needs to be emphasised more if that's part of his personality/ mind-set?

3.

It still meant that the man he had practically worshipped was dead, and she may have killed him.
This seems to trivialize what was clearly a strong emotion. I don't feel like this is the way we feel in our head. Like if I was to think about the person who I love most in the world, I think of her in terms like 'the person with the most incredible strength' or 'the person who could be the greatest light in the world'. I think of what she is, not how I acted around her. This feels like the way an outsider might describe the relationship looking in, but it doesn't feel like the way Obi would express how he felt.

4.
Turning away, Mr. Fughi said over his shoulder, “You should just come, Mr. Eshe. The issue is very close to drawing attention to itself, and that is something that which would be very unfortunate for your household.”
The character comes across as pretty posh so while 'that' is more natural in speech and what most people would say, I feel like he would be more likely to use the grammatically correct term 'which'.

5.
Immediately, he sympathized with the girl as annoyed as he felt. The lightbulb must’ve gone out at some point because the stairway was pitch dark, and the room it led down to it was even worse.


Overall

So there's not a lot of setting description in this chapter and that's a shame because I feel like they must be in a big castle or a manor or somewhere equally as exciting! there's a reasonable feel for how awful the room the princess is in at the end but not really enough of anything to quite satisfy my hunger. I know this is quite a thinky chapter for Obi because he's got a lot on his mind right now, but it would be nice to have a few descriptions. Maybe you can even use them to show us how he is thinking - maybe his eyes linger on a book which his brother once gave him or he recalls how his brother once sat in that chair. I don't know, but it might be nice to have some thinking back to his brother and more emotion and a stronger sense of missing him or being confused and upset about not missing him.

Basically I feel like this chapter could be padded out a bit more. At present it's a lot of 'he was thinking this, then that happened, then he had to go deal with this problem' and the action is nice and has a good pace, but I just really want more detail and more suspense.

Hopefully that was somewhat helpful and I'm sure I'll see you again a few chapters down the line!

~Heather




User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:13 am
Deanie wrote a review...



Heya Megsug!

I am all caught up! But that might just be because you haven't posted for a while. I hope you are still intending to write and post some more of this because I will definitely be waiting and eager to read more of this novel. It just continues getting all the better. Make sure you let me know when you do update!

I think this is going to be a mini review because I don't really have much to say. Obi seems to be very calm about this situation but emotionally confused. And I did think he would react this way because although it might be murder -- only might -- his brother is dead and has been dead for a while so I doubt he would feel too alarmed. I like that he has actually put some belief in Lekan's words and I wonder if he is going to confront Conya about it at some point. I'm also really glad that you brought in the princess again because in all honesty, I was so caught up with everything that includes Lekan, I had completely forgotten about her as well. I guess that's just what you need for this part of the story to have much of an effect, so it is good on that side of things.

What I do want to see is more of the princess. So far we have only seen her be dragged away, hidden and now again she causes a little bit of a fuss and then is hidden again. So far, she is the character I feel like I know the least. I want to see something more from her than just fear. I mean, she is allowed to be afraid, and she is young as well so I can understand her conflicting emotions she is going through here. But she seems to go back and forwards so fast I almost get lost in it. Slow down, let them talk a bit more and let her personality shine through a bit.

Other than that, I really don't have any complaints for this chapter D: I am going to make two tiny nitpicks and then I have to wait. :3

Now Obi loved her though.


When it comes to writing I think the more sentences that don't end with the word though the better. It usually seems a bit out of place. In this case you could rephrase the sentence to read as 'But Obi loved her now.' and it would simply sound a bit better.

Immediately, he sympathized with the girl as annoyed as he felt


I didn't know which you meant because this was worded awkwardly. You either meant the 'girl who was as annoyed as he felt.' or 'with the girl despite how annoyed he felt.' Careful with the wording there because it became hard to understand.

Pretty please update soon?

Deanie x




User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Sat May 23, 2015 4:20 am
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Egs!

Look at that. Another chapter with an Obi scene, also in the Green Room for a disgustingly long period of time. Sounds fun. ;)

Conya had left shortly after Lekan had slammed out of the house.
~ I think I understand what you're trying to say here, but it's not very clear. How, exactly, does one "slam" out of a house? What does it look like? To slam? Slamming? Having slammed? I'm not sure exactly how to propose an edit, but I think one might be in order, to make this a bit clearer what you mean he did as he left the house.

Surely Conya hadn’t done anything purposefully to his brother. Wouldn’t she have said something?
~ Why in the world would she say something to her new love interest if she'd killed her former lover? Especially when the two are brothers. Doesn't seem realistic. Maybe put a bit more internal struggle about how Conya cares about him yada yada yada to really establish his viewpoint if he's a deluded lover at this point.

Blinking and shifting uncomfortably in his chair before standing up, he frowned.
~ What's uncomfortable is this sentence. You have 4 different actions here, and the frankly don't flow very well, at least not in this tense. Maybe "He blinked and shifted uncomfortably in his chair, frowning before he finally stood up" or something might be better. Not sure. I just have an inexplicable dislike of the way you have it now.

Conya had told him that his brother hadn’t been good to her. It still meant that the man he had practically worshipped was dead, and she may have killed him. Now Obi loved her though.
~ Conya telling him that his brother was a jerk meant that he was dead and she might have killed him? Maybe try rephrasing the "it" to be more clear, so it doesn't sound like those two sentences are supposed to be directly linked. The third sentence also seems a bit tacked on as an afterthought, which doesn't seem to be what you're going for.

Maybe something more like "Conya's relationship to her husband didn't really matter now, though. Whether she loved him or not couldn't bring him back regardless. All that mattered was that the man he had practically worshiped was dead, and possibly by the hand of the woman he now loved" or something. That's probably not a fantastic edit. My mind just decided to jump ship, but I'm continuing this review anyway.
~ ~ ~

...Well that's intense. And it makes me wish I'd actually read the previous chapters before reading this. An extremely interesting turn of events, to say the least. Another good chapter. The internal conflict of Obi was beginning to seem a touch overdone, but the interruption of Mr. Fughi tied it off nicely and caused a "wut?" moment when those of us who cheated and jumped in mid-story a nice shock. Well done.

Sorry if this review was too harsh overall. I went from mostly cognizant of societal acceptabilities to jerkward misanthrope INTJ at the drop of a hat (I believe somewhere around the "uncomfortable" situation above, ahem). I think my points were generally valid, but I suppose the morning light will be the only thing to truly reveal whether my review was valid or too cynical. xD

Good story, Egs. Keep it up~

~Shady 8)




User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 879
Reviews: 47

Donate
Fri May 15, 2015 10:03 am
View Likes
Moalex wrote a review...



Hello! Moalex here to do a review on your work. I think you have a strong understanding to this already but because there are so many chapters it demotivate readers to read your work. Of course you have been a member of YWS for almost 5 years already so I can't say I blame you. I will try my best to understand the plot of the story without needing to go through the other 32 chapters. Therefore I will try to focus on grammar and personal changes that I feel would make the story "sound" better.

"He had tried to follow her, but she had waved him away before running up the stairs."

You don't need the "had" in "He had tried to follow her," double past tense.

"Surely Conya hadn’t done anything purposefully to his brother."

Just a personal suggestion. I feel you can change it to "Surely Conya hadn't done anything on purpose to his brother." I read it out loud to myself and thought it sounded better but up to you.

“You and I are going to be in a lot of trouble. I am sorry I didn’t come get your before now, but you need to stop this insanity.”

your -> you "I am sorry I didn't come get you before now,"

“You’re welcome, Princess. Tonight. I’ll get you tonight. I promise.” He stood and left.

I'm sure you already know this but any dialogue that isn't the end of a sentence should end with a comma. just putting this out there so you know what needs to be changed.

That's all the nitpicks from me. Honestly there wasn't all too much that needs to be changed. Some sentences tend to have double past tense in it but I think I only spotted two. I didn't really absorb your plot too much from this one chapter. I'll be honest and let you know how I feel about your work so far.

I actually kind of like it. According to the details in this chapter, I'm guessing the girl wasn't exactly raised in a rich environment. Assuming the dialogue is exactly as she says. The settings seems to take place somewhere in present time? The word "staff" isn't really used in historical settings but perhaps the future? I assume it's present because the "castle" doesn't seem to contain any futuristic fantasy devices.

I'm going to assume that this is some sort of battle over an item or title called "The Veil" as the title of your novel says. Perhaps not the type of battle where chosen few are acknowledged and duke's it out with the other chosen. But a set of terrorism laid out between people who have intel on "The Veil." Overall, I would love to go to chapter one and read, but I am just a college student who has limited time on my hand.

Keep up the great work!





You can cut all the flowers, but you cannot stop Spring from coming.
— Pablo Neruda