12+

Close Your Eyes

by acm

Lie down with me,
Lie down forever,
Close your eyes,
Open them never,

Don't you want relief?
An escape from this pain,
Close your eyes,
You'll never open them again,

I know you're weary,
You want to go to sleep,
Close your eyes,
Come to me!

There's a bed of earth,
Calling for you,
Close your eyes,
You know what to do,

Let it seep into your blood,
Don't deny you want rest,
Close your eyes,
It's for the best,

Darkness smothers all,
Life takes its final breath,
Forever in peace,
The peace of death.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:22 pm
ShaBird wrote a review...

I think everyone tends to get at that place in life were everything is wrong and you wish you could just have the easy way out.... death. Life gets really hard to bare and people will look down on you if you get depressed. Like you don't have a right to be depressed, that your lifes trails doesn't quilify for you to be depressed. I feel I am in this part of my life right now so this poem really reflects what I feel right now about life. Great read keep on keeping on.

Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:51 am
Swordfish wrote a review...

Hey acm (what a short name, eh)
It's Review Day and I'm MergSword here with a review!

So first of all, a poem about death. It all seems the same, although I do take a liking to yours compared to several other poems about death on Young Writers Society.

Here are a few memorable lines.

Lie down with me,
Lie down forever,
Close your eyes,
Open them never,

Yup: The Introduction itself. It's always about what's a good intro and what's not because it's the magnetic opening that makes readers intrigued and wanting to read on, and in this case, you did a great job!

There's a bed of earth,
Calling for you,
Close your eyes,
You know what to do,

I don't exactly know why but this stanza is stuck in my head. It could be the possible rhyme scheme, or the way it's descriptive, but realistic at the same time.

The things that I didn't like: I spent a long time looking for one thing you could call a flaw.
I guess this might be one.

I know you're weary,
You want to go to sleep,
Close your eyes,
Come to me!

It just doesn't stand out compared to the other stanzas, but other than that, you did a great job!

steampowered wrote a review...

Hello, steampowered here for a review! I can’t promise that this review will be very helpful, but I’ll try my best to leave you with some really in-depth feedback. :D

So firstly, I noticed some grammar mistakes. They should be easy to fix, however, so I’ll just point them out to you now:

Lay down with me,
Lay down forever,

This should be “lie” not “lay”. Find out why here.

Life takes it's final breath,

This should be its, not it’s. Again, this is a helpful article. Just scroll right down to the bottom of the first post, and there you have it. :D

I really liked this poem; it was very gothic-y and I could almost picture it as a song with a sweet, haunting lullaby-like melody designed to lull the reader into a false sense of security.

However, I feel like sometimes your rhythm was a little off. For example:

Turn your back to this disdain,

This was quite long and didn’t really fit with the “beat” of the poem, so to speak. Also, the rhyme seemed a bit forced. How about alternatives, like “turn your back with disdain”, “don’t open them again” or something like that? Just a suggestion though, obviously. I’d recommend you tap out a beat and try and fit all your lines into that rhythm. If they don’t fit, I’d tweak the phrasing until they do.

Other than that, I thought it was a really good poem. :D Feel free to PM me or post a message on my wall if you have any questions, or if you ever need anything else reviewed!

acm says...

Thank you for the review and the websites! Your review was very helpful.

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:29 am
AndrijanaTaseva13 wrote a review...

I simply loved every single word of this poem. I enjoyed reading it!
I think that the part I liked the most is the imagery used here and also the rhymes!
I love rhymes and rhyme patterns have always fascinated me.
I can say that you did a pretty good job here and let me just say, SIMPLICITY ABOVE ALL!
I liked your ideas and how it goes smoothly with no need of long lines or complex rhyme patterns.
I would love to read something else from you as well, and maybe, take it as a bit of advice, maybe you should try something with run-on lines. They give a nice flow to poems with really emotional ideas.
:)

acm says...

Thank you for the review! I'll try that.

You are welcome! :)

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:24 am
Becky2421 wrote a review...

mmm...wow! I can see your trying to convey a message of the grave, coffin or maybe the dead welcoming a newly dead person. Interesting choice of exclamations and questions. Very pleasing to the ears when recited too! But the part where you wrote 'I wait for you, my love' that just went off track a bit to me but it was a excellent work of art! bravo!

acm says...

Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:29 am

This was cool and unique, I enjoyed reading it!

acm says...

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk