Home » Literary works » Poetry » Spiritual

Trust in the Lord

by WinnyWriter

Trust in the Lord with all your heart -

With all your heart, not just a part.

There's no need to doubt or fear,

God cares about each falling tear.

He knows the way you're taking.

-

Trust in the Lord with all your heart -

With all your heart, not just a part.

Never fear to trust in Him,

He's a true and loving friend.

He knows the way you're taking.

-

Trust in the Lord with all your heart -

With all your heart, not just a part.

God's not out to confuse or scare you,

He wants to strengthen and prepare you

For the way He's making. 

-

Trust in the Lord with all your heart - 

With all your heart, not just a part.

We may think we know the way,

But it's God who has the final say.

Lean not on your own understanding.

-

Trust in the Lord with all your heart - 

With all your heart, not just a part.

We see obstacles in the way,

He sees beyond to brighter days.

Lean not on your own understanding.

-

Trust in the Lord with all your heart -

With all your heart, not just a part.

In everything say yes to Him,

For He only gives what's best in the end

In the beautiful plan He's making.

-

Trust in the Lord with all your heart -

With all your heart, not just a part.

Our job is to do our best,

His job is to do the rest.

Our pathway He's directing.

Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:27 am
Phillauthet wrote a review...

Hi WinnyWriter! I'm here for a quick review.

Firstly, I have to say, the theme was relatable. I'm not Christian, but the idea of Faith in God is pretty much the same in religions. Also, the idea that God cares about us a lot was portrayed beautifully.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart -
With all your heart, not just a part.

I liked the repetition, it helped stick with the theme.

The rhyme scheme too, was good.

Overall, the poem was great, keep writing!

Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:21 am
AlmostImmortal wrote a review...

Hey, WinnyWriter! I'm Lord, and I really like your poem. Your poem style is actually pretty close to the style that I tend to use for my own poetry. I really enjoy your use of repetition to convey your goal message: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart - with all your heart, not just a part". A big part of the Christian faith is trust, and it's really refreshing to see someone talk about it. Repetition is a great way to remember something, and it gives the poem a sort of mantra feel to it. Like something you could use to ward off the devil. I also really love how you lean into scripture for some of the lines. Such as "lean not on your own understanding". It makes your poem more impactful because you are using God's words and not just your own. All in all, it was a great poem, and you'll only get better with time. Happy writing!

chikara wrote a review...

Hello WinnyWriter!

Ah I never really see poetry with focus on religion on YWS that much? Even when I do, it's from the perspective of a follower and their actual thoughts on whatever the topic is and not a general view from the definition of what people see Christianity as like this one here, or it's focused on someone who has previously followed a religion and left for whatever reason they have had instead of something like this one here.

Now, this is simple. It sticks with a specific theme throughout and is consistent in rhyme and tone. If I were to look at any stanza without having any previous context of what has occurred, I believe I would have enough of an idea to form some thoughts on the content. That's always a good sign because consistency is hard to keep in poetry because of many things, small little details like writing time to bigger issues.

There's a consistent idea throughout in these lines too~

He knows the way you're taking.

Our pathway He's directing.

I believe this comes from the generally agreed on idea that God has a path for everyone to find their place and become a better person, but I'm not that knowledgeable and confident on that idea. If I'm correct, it's a good place to work with for poetry because there are so many ways to describe something like that. What you have in the lines above is proof of what I mean because of the slight yet obvious changes to wording.

If I'm remembering correctly, people use that connection the most because of Proverbs 3:5, 6's saying of "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths," which fits with the rest of the poem and how it stays true to everything.

This was a nice read! I hope to see more!

Cheers!

WinnyWriter says...

Thanks! And yes, you're right on!

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:49 am
CluelessJay wrote a review...

Hi... there, I'm Jay and this is just a brief review.

I like the way you started each stanza the same way though I would've personally ended the last one in "And with all your heart, not just a part." something like that. So that you audience knows you are coming to a conclusion.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart -

With all your heart, not just a part."

Overall I liked it, it's a beautiful poem.

-zsml8

#longlivebigbrother
— alliyah