I Smashed My Mirror

by WinnyWriter

I smashed my mirror today -

I didn't like what it told me,

the way it demanded so much,

and never left me feeling good enough,

how it said my hair wasn't right because

it isn't smooth and silky,

and curly hair isn't "in."

I shattered my mirror because

it told me my figure wasn't attractive,

my shoulder-to-hip ratio

isn't what catches the eye,

though I know this should not be my goal;

My mirror taunted me, saying that

my body was not beautiful,

nor my face lovely,

my eyes too small, their color

unidentifiable, unlike other girls

whose eyes like jewels glitter,

pulling boys in by their luster,

like wells of liquid gems.

I broke my mirror to pieces because

it laughed at my smile,

telling me all that was wrong with it,

never upbuilding,

never encouraging,

that mirror was my enemy,

so I threw it out, declaring

that beauty is in the eye of the beholder,

Society doesn't get to set the standard

for me,

I choose to believe

that I am beautiful, and true love

will find beauty in me when it comes along.

Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:47 am
Hereticteen wrote a review...

Woah... By the 2nd verse had already flipped my expectations. I really like how the poem evolves from "smashed" to "broke to pieces". And it went from depressing at first uplifting by the end. The only reason why I clicked on this poem to begin with is because I am pretty self-conscious, and when I read the poem, it blew me away. I managed to hit every marker and then some. Your descriptive language is simply insane. And the line, " I broke my mirror to pieces because it laughed at my smile is GENIUS! In this poem you blame the mirror (which is open to perception) more than you do your own eyes (the perceiver). If I had to rewrite this I would make it a lot darker by gouging out my own eyeballs after destroying the mirror because I still hated the way I looked or was looked at. This poem is brilliant, honestly 10/10. Please keep up the amazing quality of your work.

WinnyWriter says...

Thanks. I'm amazed at the positive impact this poem seems to make on people. I hope it's helpful, because I know a lot of people have self steem troubles (including myself).

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:03 pm
Siena wrote a review...

Wow. This poem is absolutely beautiful. It shows the harsh reality of how society can tear us down if we let it but also how we can choose instead to rise above it.

I especially love the line ¨I smashed my mirror today¨ because is so empowering. It shows that we have the choice to simply say no, we will not let society rule over us. So many people need to know that they do not need to let society have that power over them.

My only suggestion would be to get rid of some of the punctuation and instead add stanzas. I think this would help organize the poem more and make it easier to read.

Overall, I think this poem is magnificent!

-Siena

Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:32 am
Zaibae wrote a review...

Hello there!

This is a very beautiful poem, i absolutely love it. I love the flow of it, even though it is a bit sporadic at times. The thing that stands out the most is the visual imagery, i really love how you've described the scenes.

"my eyes too small, their color

unidentifiable, unlike other girls

whose eyes like jewels glitter,

pulling boys in by their luster,

like wells of liquid gems."
i love the description here too, like wells of liquid gems is a wonderful line. Your poetry is a visual treat.

I like how you speak of insecurity, and how it is so relatable for the audience. But i love how you've countered it by saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we are all beautiful in our own way.

"I choose to believe

that I am beautiful, and true love

will find beauty in me when it comes along."
The ending is lovely and soulful, and makes me feel very warm, happy and hopeful inside.

I think you've done a lovely job. Keep up the great work! i hope to read more from you in the future.

Much love,
Zaibae

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:49 pm
crow514 wrote a review...

This is a really good poem! There is clearly a lot of emotion behind it, and it's talking about something that a lot of girls can relate to. I think the way you used the mirror to show society's standards was really creative, and I especially like how you show you are breaking society's standards even in the first sentence by saying, "I smashed my mirror today". Although the tone seems relatively somber, that opening line immediately showed that the speaker was being positive.

There are only a few things I would change, and most of it is just to make this look nicer and be easier to read. 1) remove the punctuation at the end of each line. It looks a little cluttered. 2) break up the poem into stanzas with roughly 4 lines in each. This would make it a lot easier for the reader to keep it's place. 3) have the first letter of each stanza either be a capital or lowercase. This shows uniformity and makes the poem look a lot better.

Overall, I really liked this and I think it was creatively written. Keep writing!

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:24 pm
KaiMoon says...

I love this. I love how you use the mirror to show how society judges people. This shows how hard society can be and that you don't need to fall into the lines. The ending is amazing.

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:32 am
alittlelost says...

Absolutely love this! Your descriptions are vivid and impactful. I love concept you’ve chosen to describe and especially the words you’ve chosen to use. The lines,
“that mirror was my enemy,
so I threw it out, declaring
that beauty is in the eye of the beholder”
are definitely my favourite, as I find them to be incredibly powerful. The only thing I would suggest is to put your poem into stanzas as that may make them seem easier on the eyes and may enhance the quality of your poem’s message by making it easier to read. Nonetheless, that is only my opinion but your poem was a beautiful read, hope to see more :)

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:32 am
alittlelost wrote a review...

“that mirror was my enemy,
so I threw it out, declaring

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:45 am
lyrically19 says...

Reading this reminded me of just how much control society has on my thoughts. This was very freeing to read. Thank you, for reminding me that beauty is so much more than what we are forced to believe.

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:45 am
lyrically19 says...

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:16 am
abachmann wrote a review...

Oh My Goodness! Gave me shivers!! Not only was this beautifully written, but I love it because I personally relate to this.
I think the idea you have here is really neat. The metaphors and similes you used were very creative, and allowed me to really SEE your poem, not only in my mind, but in my heart. Your last sentence is my favorite,

"I choose to believe

that I am beautiful, and true love

This is gorgeous!

No Critiques on my part!

You have a talent for poetry, and I urge you to write more like this!!

-abachmann

I wish literally anything else I ever said made it into the quote generator.
— CowLogic