A Writer

by LUNARGIRL

A steady hand flies across the pages,

delicate lettering smeared,

the pages glimmering with fresh ink.

The lines grow without hesitation,

for she is a writer,

unlimited to the power of her pen.

Where imagination grows,

and flourishes,

when a pen touches paper.

She is a writer,

and that is her inspiration.

Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:28 pm
Hijinks wrote a review...

Hi there LUNARGIRL! I'm here for a review on your sweet poem :)

I'm going to divide this review up into a few sections ~ imagery, repetition, meaning, and flow ~ to help organize my impressions/suggestions.

Imagery
So first off, imagery! This is one of my favourite aspects of your poem. The descriptions and tone is very graceful, lovely, and elegant, which matches the subject quite well. I especially like your choice of words such as "delicate", "smeared", and "glimmering". My only suggestion would be to go into a bit more depth on some of the descriptions - really dig into them, give the reader all those juicy images to picture in their mind.
Two possible examples of parts you could expand on:
A steady hand flies across the pages, -> how does it fly? like a bat through the night of ink, ducking and weaving between words? like a paper-white swan, gracefully lifting itself into the air?
Where imagination grows,
and flourishes,
-> does it grow and flourish like an unkept hedge? like vines of creativity crawling recklessly through her mind? like an overflowing river?

Repetition
While you do use some beautiful phrases and words, there are some verbs and nouns that you repeat unnecessarily. Sometimes repetition in poetry can be used to emphasize or make a point, but in a poem like this, that doesn't seem to be the case, and I'd recommend just trying to cut back on repetition where possible. A couple of places that jumped out at me:

A steady hand flies across the pages,

delicate lettering smeared,

the pages glimmering with fresh ink.

The lines grow without hesitation,

for she is a writer,

unlimited to the power of her pen.

Where imagination grows,

and flourishes,

when a pen touches paper.

Meaning
This poem is definitely relatable; I know a lot of people on this site will agree with you that writing is beautiful and powerful. I think your meaning is simple, clear, and well conveyed ~ but I do think it's lacking a bit of punch as you aren't making a moving point. What's the reader supposed to take away from this, other than that writing is a beautiful process? Why does it matter that writing's a beautiful process? How does that affect the writer, the reader? You don't necessarily need to outright answer these things in your poem, but thinking about them while writing can help you convey one strong message that the reader can take away from it.

Flow
This is another thing I really, really love about this poem! The flow is very smooth and graceful, which again, matches the imagery, tone, and subject of the poem super well. Your use of line breaks works well, I think -> you don't use much enjambment (breaking lines in "awkward" places like mid-sentence, so that it has a jolting effect), and I think that's a good choice in this poem. Instead, many of your lines end in commas, which sometimes I'm not a fan of, but it works nicely here.

Overall, this is a sweet poem. I really like your imagery and flow, and two things I'd suggest you take a look at are repetition/word choice and deeper meaning. I hope this review is helpful, and if you've got any questions feel free to ask!

Keep writing <3

whatcha

LUNARGIRL says...

LUNARGIRL says...

Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:17 pm
Avis wrote a review...

This is beautiful and I really think it captures the beauty of writing. <3

I especially liked the first few lines and the imagery was great (I know I very rarely write by hand, but the image of ink on paper was just gorgeous).

I'm not exactly sure how to phrase this, but the flow of the poem is fantastic. It just feels like the words fit together so perfectly and reading it feels smooth and effortless.

Just one typo I think in the third-to-last line, you wrote "tuches" which I'm pretty sure is supposed to be "touches."

Overall, great job! I really enjoyed this poem, it was beautiful ^-^

LUNARGIRL says...

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:21 pm
penngreen4776 wrote a review...

Oh, hello there! I'm penn.

This is nicely done! The way you describe how this writer, well, writes, is full of potent imagery and wonderful empowerment. I think my favorite line in this cool little thing is "Unlimited to the power of her pen," if only because it feels so true. Most of the time, anyway.

Short and sweet, a beautiful little piece about writing and how great and almost magical it can feel. Two solid thumbs up!

LUNARGIRL says...

Thanks so much for the review!

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:01 pm
FlamingHomosexual wrote a review...

From what I’ve seen from you so far, you are an amazing writer! Also, imma write you a quick (and awkward) review.
To get the bad out of the way, you made a small mistake in the second to last line.
“Where imagination grows, and takes hold.”
I’m unsure if this is a fragmented sentence or figurative speech. Either way, it irks me haha.
This poem is really beautifully formatted, and doesn’t need stanzas. That’s new. Most poetry I see needs to be broken up. Not this one, so.... uh... nice job! Keep writing!

LUNARGIRL says...

Put me in the fqluote generator. I say wise things.
— RigoTheHacker