You Still Kiss Me

by EllieMae

I am holding your shirt right now.

You know, the one you gave me for Christmas.

-

It smells too much like you,

For me to wash it.

And it feels too much like you,

Because I know you were the last one to touch this,

Before me.

Before I took it and I left,

Everything you gave me,

Everything that made me safe.

-

I am surprised how I can still smell you in this shirt,

Though my tears have soaked it through and through.

-

I see you in the sunrise,

Feel you in the breeze,

And hear you in the ocean.

-

You still kiss me,

With the cool air, I breathe in,

As I leave a trail of footprints in the sand,

On the beach, we used to play on.

-

I will never not see your smile.

You only hide.

Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:52 am
Cozmo2024 wrote a review...

Greetings fellow writer, I'm here to give a short and sweet review!

What a lovely poem about love, loss, and comfort. Extremely passionate and heartfelt, the emotion is astounding. It makes me feel sad in a way, almost like the speakers lover passed away and they are remembering them through the shirt. Like that was the only thing that they had left of them- the water works are starting! Oh boy!
I can really feel it through the lines, "I am surprised how I can still smell you in this shirt,/Though my tears have soaked it through and through."
I'm really impressed with this! Awesome job!

Have a lovely day!
- Cozmo :)

MannyPLator wrote a review...

This poem is a beautiful and heartfelt expression of love and loss. The poet is holding onto a shirt that was given to them by someone special, and they are struggling to let go of the memories and emotions that it represents. The imagery is vivid and evocative, with the poet describing how the shirt smells and feels like the person who gave it to them. The poem is full of sensory details that help to create a sense of intimacy and connection between the poet and the person they are missing.

The poem is also notable for its use of repetition and parallel structure. The speaker repeats the phrase “I see you” several times throughout the poem, creating a sense of continuity and connection between the different images and emotions that they are describing. The repetition of this phrase also emphasizes the poet's sense of loss and longing, as they are constantly searching for signs of the person they miss.

I found this poem to be a moving tribute to the power of memory and the enduring nature of love. It captures the complex emotions of grief and longing with sensitivity and grace, and it is sure to resonate with anyone who has ever experienced loss or separation.

Hang in there, time will heal all.

Maybe I should say something quote-worthy, like, I dunno... "You can only be happy if you decide to be happy?"
— Necromancer14