z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

​Your trauma made you stronger.

by EllieMae


Your trauma made you stronger.

-

No.

-

My trauma made me traumatized

and it gave me everything

that I never wanted.

-

My trauma is an inheritance

of every weakness

that you cannot control.

-

My trauma didn't make me stronger.

I made myself stronger

because I had no other options.

-

And now I'm older

and I hate every single piece of the person

who I have been forced to become.

-

I am not dead,

I am alive without freedom.

All I am is a result of every hard day

that I have survived.

-

Your trauma made me,

make me 

stronger.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 780
Reviews: 13

Donate
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:42 pm
View Likes
Lucian wrote a review...



This is an amazing poem, so heartfelt. I'm sorry about whatever happened to you.

The wording in this is good, there is a lot of repetition of phrases. This poem is a really good example of trauma and being forced to grow up too fast. I sympathize with your poem on the level I think you may have written this in. It reminds me of a post from Tumblr "What doesn't kill you doesn't actually stronger, but healing does. And if you feel like healing hasn't made you stronger than you were before, you're probably not done healing," (from Luulapants on Tumblr)

I felt like the poem fit with the quote a bit, but not completely. You said in the poem "And now I'm older
and I hate every single piece of the person
who I have been forced to become."

It seems like you have healed but not completely, like a wound, instead of waiting for it to close on your own, it got sautered together to stop the pain sooner. But the pain didn't go away, it stayed just not as bad or as frequent as it once was. I hope you are able to find a way to become the person you want to be not the person you were forced to be.

Good luck and may writer's block pass you by.




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 364
Reviews: 6

Donate
Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:16 am
View Likes



This is very realistic and meaningful. The words are simple, yet empowering. It relates to how people act like the trauma isn't as affecting as it is. That people are merely overreacting about traumatic situations they never experienced themselves. Great work. i love your writing style.




EllieMae says...


Thank you, your kindness is so appreciated :D



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 38
Reviews: 10

Donate
Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:23 pm
View Likes
aaliyahlaurier wrote a review...



Wow this is so real. I love this so much. This is the perfect poem for kids who have been parentified/forced into adult situations at an early age. I always hated it whenever people said that "trauma made you strong" like you have to be traumatized to be strong. I really hope you keep writing poetry, I love this so much. You're very talented. I will now like and follow :3




EllieMae says...


Awe, thank you so much, my friend! Your kind words mean the world to me! I%u2019ll follow back :D



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 2904
Reviews: 34

Donate
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:30 pm
View Likes
Coffeewriter wrote a review...



This is so accurate and people always say ‘what doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger’. From parents, to children, teens, adults and everyone basically. We’re always told this even if it isn’t true, trauma and pain doesn’t make you stronger it instead takes away your chance to experience childhood whilst you can and experience friendships without gossiping and racism and all the unnecessary baggage society has created. Unnecessary trauma and pain brings unnecessary baggage and nothing else, overall wonderful work!!




EllieMae says...


Thank you, Ari, for your wonderful insights <333 Means a lot!



Coffeewriter says...


No problem I was on break and bored out of my wits!%uD83D%uDE02



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 842
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:12 am
View Likes
Isbah wrote a review...



Hi! I love this poem because it perfectly represents what it's like to have no choice about who you've become. And how you sometimes live not because you want to but because you have no other option. And there's also a hopeful, determined tone because you're saying that surviving isn't something you can choose to do. It's something that you have to do.

"And now I'm older

and I hate every single piece of the person

who I have been forced to become."

I especially like this bit. Because it's about how you can become someone you have to and hate that person at the same time.
Thank you for this poem!




EllieMae says...


Thank you for this, friend!



User avatar
231 Reviews


Points: 40897
Reviews: 231

Donate
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:10 am
View Likes
RavenAkuma wrote a review...



Hello, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review your new poem using my Familiar method! Since it's review day, this'll earn Team Potato some points too ~ Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh…

What The Black Eyes See...

This felt like an incredible poem for someone suffering from depression, or another mental health problem that may leave them feeling less than themselves. Each new line really made me pause to think about what I was reading, what it really meant, and how it could relate to both the narrator and the reader. Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

I have no complaints I could possibly make about this piece. It definitely errs on the side of being a "freestyle" type of poem, with the lack of a rhyme scheme or consistent structure, but that was clear from the beginning -and frankly, when dealing with this tone and subject, this style feels very fitting. Just your thoughts, as they are, put to page.

Why The Grin Widened...

This is what I can interpret: what I really love about this piece is how, despite the somberness, there is a tone of power throughout. The poem may be relaying a story about a difficult past and its accompanying trauma, but the firm language shows how the narrator is also saying "I took this into my own hands, I made this my story, no one else can take credit for it." And I believe that not only the experiences described could connect with someone, but the sense of empowerment carries through and really rubs off on the reader.

The final stanza captured this incredibly well:

Your trauma made me,

make me

stronger.


Incredible statement all around. It leaves me with goosebumps.

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, this was a very powerful piece. Thanks for sharing it with us! :)

Image




EllieMae says...


Thanks as always! Always appreciate your wonderful reviews :D



Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:43 pm
View Likes
FelixMwiya says...



This is a great poem for someone suffering from depression. Kindly give your next poem a little emphasize on meter and perfect rhymes. Your is great it can help to motivate people to use their trauma in a good way. Keep writing more poems.




EllieMae says...


Thanks, friend! Have an awesome day! Hope to read some of your poetry soon!




I will not condemn you for what you did yesterday, if you do it right today.
— Sheldon S. Maye