Saints and Sinners

by EllieMae

They say a saint

Is a sinner who keeps on trying.

Who am I

If I am a sinner who wants try,

But can’t.

A sinner who keeps on sinning.

I was a saint,

And maybe that’s the name

You know me by.

I was also a child,

And maybe that’s who you

Remember me as.

-

They say a sinner

Is a saint

With too much pain.

Who has been blinded from truth.

But all I feel is freedom.

To use.

To choose.

To sing.

And cry.

You see me as a sinner,

But in death

I have found my will to live.

My reason to stay.

-

They say I will never find happiness,

As a sinner.

Even as a saint,

I didn’t fear death.

I was already dead inside.

You see choices as a noose,

As did I.

But maybe taking these first steps

Is what gets me out of the cave.

-

They say a saint is a sinner

Who keeps on trying.

I am trying,

harder than Hell.

And if this is Hell,

Maybe this is all I need.

miablue24 wrote a review...

I. love. this. poem. It is very intricate yet delicate, if that makes sense. I personally love the first stanza. I like the way you use the words sinner and saint a lot, contradicting them.

(I didn't fear death, I was already dead inside. You see choices as a noose, As did I.)

I think this is my favorite part of the poem. I feel like it's relatable and the word play is definitely very strong.

Keep writing! Loved this :)

Kelisot wrote a review...

I love the paradoxical sentence in the first line of the poem. Saints and sinners are words with religious connotations that are the polar opposite, which I'm amazed how the concepts of two dualities were "merged" in poetry about two opposites (ok, I honestly don't know what I'm saying but you get the point... right?).

I'm not sure what exactly your background is or your opinions on religion, but I can see you expressing from someone who either had received a so-called "epiphany" in life. It reverses the ideas of what people claim religion to be, while in some eyes, it is the opposite.

I wouldn't go into much detail before I accidentally ensue an argument about religion, but you made a very obvious point: Diversity had created such a mess that even something that seems "simple" but is complex became a mess. Sometimes, these messes can be bloody, proven through history repeating itself, sadly. I will be honest-- even my real self struggles with accepting that everyone experiences and perceives things differently.

Thank you for this poem. I believe that your small action of positing this, perhaps it will raise awareness of accepting each other.

And to people who are religious out there, don't worry. I am not quite a religious person (I think I lean more as an agnostic person), but I believe religion is cool and people should practice it! Although, when people's ideas start to contradict, it's hard to balance things out. But yes, tuning each other and keeping in harmony is the "ultimate" goal of peace, I believe.

Thebroken021 wrote a review...

“A saint is someone who wears a mask or plays the fool. A sinner is someone who fights for individual freedom in society or one who doesn’t want to be chained down.” That’s what I used to think. But it is not just black and white. A “saint” can sin and a “sinner” can be a good person. I like this poem because it motivates me to change. Even if I have become the worst of the bunch, even if I’ve doomed myself to an eternity of hell, keep on trying. The last stanza gets me.

Amazing work! Keep at it and stay hydrated!

-thebroken

EllieMae says...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! They are very appreciated! Have a lovely day :D

"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein