z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence Mature Content

For Anyone Who Wants To Die

by EllieMae


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence and mature content.

This is a transcript of a spoken word poem I made. I would love for you to listen to this recording as you read along. I am looking for feedback on the recording and how well it conveys the message I am trying to share, over the text below :) and yes, this is my voice.

Listen to the audio here (I recommend you listen with headphones/earbuds): https://youtu.be/UnkODLlwGmQ?feature=shared

or here: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM6PAmNv9/

TW: Heavy mentions of suicide.

For Anyone Who Wants To Die

There have been 4,466 suicides this year. As of January 2nd, at 12:30 pm.

It is said that a person dies by suicide, on average, every 40 seconds.

As I write this, we are 68,401 seconds into 2024. Statistically, there should only be 1,710 suicides so far this year, but we have passed that by 2,756.

This poem is not a motivational speech. It is not a rise to action or empowerment. Instead, it is an inscription for the gravestones of those who are unnamed, unknown, unheard, and forgotten.

This is not a cry for help. This is not me bringing down the mood with my never-ending fascination with death and those who have lost their lives. This is not conforming to social norms to be seen as polite, this is taking away the silence and speaking for all of those 4,466 friends. Mothers. Fathers. Grandparents. Children. Lonely, outgoing, shy, bubbly, angry, patient, narcissistic, stable and unstable. And everything in between.

Statistically, another person has taken their life as you have listened to me speak these words. And as we sit here, in this space together, there is another who will be dead in approximately 20 seconds.

I only share my story online, with those who do not not know me personally. I do not scream with instability, rather I cry in the darkness and pray to be heard. I do not beg for a permanent solution to temporary problems, because these are not temporary problems.

Suicide is not working towards a quiet rest at a long day after work, it is quitting the job that has had you working overtime for as long as you can remember. The thing is, I don't even want to quit the job, I just want to go on vacation but that's not an option.

Suicide is not only putting a gun to your head but it is also not looking when you cross the street, even though you used to. It’s seeing if your closet is strong enough to hold your weight and not being able to remember the last time you told the truth. It is hating yourself for the habits you cannot control and the person that you have become because you know that you could try harder but you don't.

But all I can think about is the phone call my father would get and how that would break him. And I think about my friends who would never hear from me again and the teachers who would be told I would not be coming to class anymore and the people who smiled at me on the bus who would not have anyone to smile at anymore.

The truth is, as you look at your phone screen right now, there is someone, somewhere, who is bleeding out. As you watch TV there is someone suffocating and as you do your homework there is someone overdosing on the street. How loudly do I need to cry before you hear me? How loudly do you need to cry before someone hears you?

If today is the last day you ever want to breathe, listen to my words, just for a minute.

I see how hard you cry.

I have spent nights lying on the bathroom floor sitting in puddles of tear and blood, uncertain of what was going to drain from my body faster.

I see the letters you have deleted and the scars you have, even though you hide them.

I have screamed at a God who I have asked to kill me more times than I have asked for strength and more times than I have said thank you for my privileged life.

Listen to me.

I can't take away any of your pain, but I promise you that if the words people say hurt enough to make you want to end your life, then there are words out there strong enough to save it.

Don't give up. Hold on a little longer, my friend. Rise, for the 6 people who took their own lives as I spoke to you today.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 78
Reviews: 8

Donate
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:43 pm
AkiraEliza wrote a review...



I can't really say this is touching. I kinda felt nothing while reading this, sorry. But I will say you caught my attention, and that doesn't happen often. I was actually reading this instead of skimping over each line.
In a way, I guess it is slightly touching. Might I just add that I, for one, don't see anything wrong with having a fascination for death. Death has never startled me and I grew up watching shows about it, and yet even my own mother says I look too into it. Do I know it is not normal? Yes, I do. But do I care? You bet the cat on my lap that I don't. It'll happen anyway, so isn't it better to enjoy learning more about it and understanding it rather than be terrified of it?
.... After reading into more of the passage, I have to admit, it struck hard. I like the idea that you understand someone crying silently, afraid to speak. It's hard to see something from someone else's eyes unless you've seen it, too.
This is just plain beautiful.
Have a good day. Thank you for letting me stumble upon this.




User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 339
Reviews: 21

Donate
Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:45 pm
Fleur says...



Wow. I can’t believe I just found this now. Great job Ellie <3




User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 373
Reviews: 31

Donate
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:29 am
View Likes
herbalhour wrote a review...



Hello ellie! i'm here to review your work with the YWSeption review. Lets get into it!
Image
Register On To YWS
huh...? what's YWS?
I REMEMBER WHEN I FIRST LISTENED TO THIS!! i was sobbing it was so touching!! a lot of logical appeals --> your data could be backed up <--- i felt so seen

Hop On To Forums
woah! this is really fun!
Welcome Mat

how loudly do i have to cry before you hear me?

THIS MADE ME SOB YOU HAD NO RIGHT TO BE THIS INSPIRATIONAL (no but seriously. this was so heartfelt and you made a stamd for what you believed in.)
The Lounge
the flow was on point!! definitely this part:
Suicide is not working towards a quiet rest at a long day after work, it is quitting the job that has had you working overtime for as long as you can remember
LIKE PREACH ok but srs: this encapsulates the feeling you have when you have those thoughts perfectly
Art & Photography
sitting in puddles of tear and blood
OH NO WHO DID THIS YO YOU hoe CAITLYN?? great imagery!!
Will Review for Food
The best part was the ending.
Rise, for the 6 people who took their own lives as I spoke to you today.


First Review
huh? whats a review? how do i do one?
huh... no critiscisms! i loved this so, so much.

Read Some Works
hmm...  I like these poems by alliyah... and these stories by Spearmint!
poems about suicide... I HAVE SOME! my first act of my poetry book! idk what else to give ya.

Staying On YWS
I think I like it here!
Spoiler! :
wanna learn a new word? yawp- a loud, raucous noise.

i really liked this poem- dare i say loved it. it invoked so many feelings and agdisgwgeu thank you for making this

sincerely, herb





fun fact i hear my evil twin once wrote a story about a hacker who used the name fyshi33k bc there are 33k-ish species of fish and she liked phishing so fyshi-33k made sense but then she got super embarrassed when someone forced her to explain
— VyperShadow