z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Always mine; never yours.

by EllieMae


The words I say to myself,

Scrape plaque off  my teeth.

Looking in the mirror,

The unsettling thought invades my mind.

I have only been yours,

And never mine.

-

Yours; not mine.

You love me; you hated me before.

I see your texts.

I see your money.

I see you trying to win me back.

Or at least the idea of me,

A daughter who loves you

As much as the mother I always wanted

To love me.

-

This mother was always mine.

And she will never be yours.

Never you.

Always mine; never yours.

-

Beauty; pain; recovery.

The coexistence of you and me,

Yours and mine,

Mom and daughter,

Well, they make me scrape

that plaque off my teeth.

-

Looking in the mirror,

I see

Only you;

And never me.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 2904
Reviews: 34

Donate
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:05 am
View Likes
Coffeewriter wrote a review...



That’s so deep and it’s short and sweet but in the circumstances of the piece I guess short and bitter? I love this since parents can be our best friends or people who hold you back. I have lovely parents, strict but kind but some people aren’t so fortunate and in reality even though we hate our parents as teens, we don’t realise how lucky we are in reality compared to other children our age and younger. This is including me. I think it’s pretty natural to hate your parents at points of days but this poem is clearly describing much more than that and is much more deep and reflects like the thoughts of all the teens and children that feel like this! Overall, love it!




User avatar


Points: 57
Reviews: 3

Donate
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:38 pm
View Likes
Gentechian wrote a review...



Parents hold an abnormal control over us that the human mind was never meant to experience. Our lifetimes were meant to be individual. Your poem, especially the repetition of "plaque off my teeth" speaks to that. To try and remove that which will always come back and claw at you. Your word choice is also quite special. When you talk about an unsettling though invading your mind, it never feels like an attempt at bombast or dramaticism. It is quite simple and quite personal. You are not held back by anything that might've contained you. Fear is a mechanism and you have not succumbed to it. This is a beautiful poem.





Poetry lies its way to the truth.
— John Ciardi