The Veil - Chapter 10

by megsug

Obi was woken from his sleep in the early hours of the morning. At first he believed he had been woken by nightmares that were already fading and had already pulled the linen sheet covering him up and closed his eyes when he heard the knock on his door. His blood ran cold, and he slowly sat up. “What is it?” His voice was a rasp as he ran a hand over his face.

“The king is calling for you.” The door opened, and Conya peered in. “My room is closer to the main door. I heard the banging and intercepted the butler on his way to let you know. I thought a less stuffy face might be better for so early in the morning.” Her soft smile woke Obi up a bit as he stood. Her nightgown didn’t show much, but it was thin to make the hot summer nights more bearable. The candle she held in her hand created provocative shadows that made it hard for Obi to look away.

“Thank you for telling me.” He paused on his way to his closet and flashed her a grin. “You are far more appealing than the butler. Why don’t you…” His voice drifted off as he caught the nervous edge of her laugh. He had been about to send her away, but now that he was more awake, he could see the hand that held the damnable flame shook ever so slightly and her smile was on the edge of breaking. “Don’t worry, Conya. Believe it or not, this is rather normal behavior for Rufolu. He doesn’t take much time to consider what other people are doing. When he’s awake, everyone should be.” He pulled clothes out of the closet, studying traditional robes as he stifled a yawn.

“But…”

He looked up from his clothes at her wavering voice. “You should know you can talk to me.” He tilted his lips up. “I’m a friend, right?”

She set the candle down on his bedside table and ran to him. “The king’s call has not boded well for us lately, Obi.” Her face was nearly in shadow as she took the clothes from him and put everything on the floor but the heavy robe. “No one will know what’s under these. Don’t put the heavy underclothes on too.”

Laughing, Obi took the robe. “You’ve become the little rebel.” He pulled it on and left the front open though he’d have to do it up in the car. Even in the relatively cool room, he could feel the foreshadowing of a sweltering day. Conya was smart to suggest that he leave the sui in the closet today. Perhaps the men like Lekan who had begun to mimic the native's dress were the smartest of all. he pressed a stiff hesitant kiss to her cheek, trying to be as natural as possible which, he discovered, was quite impossible. "Maybe I'll be able to catch a breeze now."

Smiling softly, she patted his arm. "Be careful. If you get a bad feeling get out as fast as you can. I've already sent the butler to wake the chauffeur. He should be waiting out front."

"I don't know what I would do without you," Obi called as he hurried out the door. It wouldn't do to keep the king waiting.

The chauffeur sat in the driver's seat in the idling car parked at the curb, his head at his chest in a doze. He jumped as Obi opened the car door and tried to nonchalantly wipe some drool off of his chin. Clearing his throat, he started the car.

The car was silent as dark houses slid by. In one or two, servants began to flick lights on to get a start to their day while masters slept for a few hours more. Nervous and tense, Obi broke the silence. "You must think I have strange hours."

Never moving anything but his hands as he made a smooth turn, the man said, "You won't let me drive in the afternoon, but as soon as I'm having a good dream, you can't drive yourself."

It was a bold statement for a servant. The barest hint of condescension hung in the air after his words.

Obi paused for a second before laughing. It was the broken laughter of a fearful man. "Some occasions a man needs to be alone, and others a man needs to show off the fact that he doesn't have to walk on his own two feet to get somewhere. Those times have been inconvenient."

"I would say so." The palace was dark in the predawn sky and loomed above them while they were still blocks away. "This is my job though," he added grudgingly, "and you pay fair. I can't complain too much about that."

Watching the approaching monstrosity, Obi nodded vacantly. "Remind me to give you a bonus for this." He opened the door while the vehicle was still rolling and jumped out onto the sidewalk before the palace. Already, several steps away from the car, he turned back when the chauffeur yelled.

"Your... over... thing is undone, sir!"

Looking down, Obi waved. "Thank you. I shouldn't be too long. If I'm longer than half an hour, leave. I'll make my own way back." He turned and jogged to the entrance, tying as he went.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:19 am
Pretzelstick wrote a review...

Heya sugar, pretzelsing here for another review, I saw that this had only 5 reviews(and one of them was short and another one was from a newbie), so here I go.
Let's begin, shall we?

First of all, I was very surprised that the King called Obi at such an early hour. I was really wondering this: When did the king last talk with Obi?If it was sso long ago,(as I think I recall that you wrote that they lost contact) then why did he call him now?

At first he believed he had been woken by nightmares that were already fading and had already pulled the linen sheet covering him up and closed his eyes when he heard the knock on his door.

Why do you have two "and" in this sentence. I don't know why but it just doesn't seem right. What if you wrote:
"At first he believed he had been woken by nightmares that were already fading. He had already pulled the linen sheet covering him up and closed his eyes when he heard the knock on his door."

So then since I divided those sentences, only one "and" remains!

Perhaps the men like Lekan who had begun to mimic the native's dress were the smartest ofthem all. hHe pressed a stiff, hesitant kiss to her cheek,

A couple of things here(that I will try to show in the text above-it's the easiest to explain)Remember to put a comma between two adjectives that describe one thing(or the same thing).My English teacher gave me a great tip for the comma between two adjectives rule. If you can say and between the two adjectives,then put a comma there.Let me use your sentence as an example:

"He pressed and stiff and hesitant kiss" -That does make sense therefore it needs a comma
"She wore the whiteand abercrombie shirt"-That doesn't make sense therfore you wouldn't put a comma there.
Do you understand what I mean,sugar?

"Your... over... thing is undone, sir!"

Why are those two ellipsis in one sentence needed?Ellipsis or used when someone is trailing off or there are missing words directly in the dialogue. I don't think that either of these ellipsis are necessary here.

I didn't really understand what the big deal was and why you emphasized about the clothes that Obi was wearing. Whether you meant it or not, there was a lot of detail with the clothes.Go back in your writing and see how many times Conya mentions which clothes he should put on, and then he puts them on, and then he mentions the clothes again, and then the chauffeur tells him to tie his outer garments, and then he ties them. There was so much about the clothes that it was literally taking away from the content of the whole chapter,in my opinion.

At first he believed he had been woken by nightmares that were already fading

Nightmares actually don't exactly fade, sugar. You either remember them or you don't. ;) Because when you wake up, they just suddenly full-turn stop and go away. Do you see what I mean?

Overall, I kind of feel like this is a filler chapter. How do I test filler chapters? Personally, here is my way. I see if I could write this whole chapter ^^-describe the main points and important things in one paragraph. Do you think that you could do that, sugar?Fillers have usually no important action, or suspense,etc.

Uhh, Obi and Conya relationship is kind of developing <33. When Obi says this:

I thought that the first sentence is something that you say to someone that is verrrrrry close to you,if you see what I mean. That's brings their relationship closer in my perspective. Also if you look at the second sentence I think that you could insert a word there to make it flow better: It wouldn't do good to keep the king waiting.
Another side note, in this whole chaapter, I think that it's grammatically correct that you capitalize the k in King, since this is the proper name of the kind and what you are reffering it too.

Anyways, that's it from me. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. I hope that this review helps and I truly encourage you to keep on writing!

Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:55 pm
Shady wrote a review...

Yo Egs!

Shady back with another review! :D

Obi was woken woke from his sleep
~ Passive voice. Kill it.

At first he believed he had been woken by nightmares
~ I don't know why this chapter is turning me into a grammar snob (like a really ridiculous, unjustified one-- beyond normal :P) but it is. I think this might read better as "At first he believed it was the nightmares that woke him", to put the emphasis on nightmares rather than woke. *shrugs* I recognize that's an anal nitpick, so feel free to disregard if you disagree. :)

His blood ran cold
~ o.o But Obi seems so levelheaded normally. I mean, I would be highly annoyed if someone woke me up in the middle of the night (especially right after a nightmare), too, but... this sudden rage seems a bit out of place. Not even a concern for what's wrong? Or a curiosity about who's waking him?

"Your... over... thing is undone, sir!"
~ Teehee. :)

~ ~ ~

Hm. Overall, I like this part more than I did the last. I guess I'm just not feeling Conya. :P She seems really needy and clingy and overly emotional. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I mean, F's are necessary... I guess. I just... I'm very bad at anticipating their reactions, and I tend to get bewildered in real life, too, at their emotional outbursts. I just can't feel like she's overly believable. But that's all my opinion. Feel free to disregard if you feel otherwise, obviously. :)

~Shady 8)

Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there! Noelle back again for another Review Day review!

Well, honestly I don't have much to say about this chapter. And I mean it this time. It's a bit short, which makes sense really seeing as the chapter as a whole is broken into 3 parts, which doesn't give me much to say. This is like the transitional part of the chapter, where something new is happening and you have to introduce us to it, show us what's going on.

I do agree with Deanie. Conya really doesn't have a need to tell Obi that her room is closer to the door. It just seems like mindless chit chat. While in the real world that's okay, it's a bit mundane in the literary world. Everything you write should have a purpose.

The one thing that I got out of the most from this part of the chapter is the tiny hints of the character development of Obi. We get to see a bit more of her personality come out here. First it's with Conya. We can really tell how much he cares for her based on how he responds to her. I think anyone would be beyond annoyed to be woken up so early in the morning. But he's nice and chipper no matter how early it is. The conversation with the driver was great as well. Despite the driver making that comment that was "out of place", Obi still treated him nicely. He could've gotten angry and upset, but he didn't. And that shows his real character.

Again, no grammar or spelling errors so you're good with that. Your writing seems to keep getting better and better. I applaud you for that. Not many people can do that.

**Noelle**

Deanie wrote a review...

Hey there Meg!

Happy Review day! (again)

As these chapters go on, it's only getting harder for me to review. Honestly, you're leaving me with next to nothing but nitpicks, and I hate that, because I think reviews should go beyond that. I will try my best though ^.^ You, on the other hand, just have to keep up this awesome writing.

Would Conya really have to tell him that her room is closer to the door, so she heard it first? I think Obi would know this, seeing as he must've been living there for quite the while from the sound of it. Maybe you she is mentioning this just because she is nervous, and that is how Obi picks up on it? Or maybe just have Obi figure this out in his own mind, so it doesn't feel like Conya is giving him information that he should already know from living there.

I found this sentence to be fairly confusing. You mention that he was being woken by nightmares but then you make them disappear, then he's handling sheets and then the door knock and I feel like there are too many things in one sentence. I suggest you change this up a little bit. Here's my rewrite:

At first he believed he had been woken by his nightmare coming true. But as he opened his eyes, the dreams were already fading. He closed his eyes and pulled the linen sheet to cover him up just as there was a knock on his door.

I changed it a bit because I felt like the idea of the nightmares didn't linger around long enough. And then I reshuffled the last sentence a bit. Out of curiosity, I am wondering what Obi could possibly be having nightmares about? He seems like a pretty tough cookie himself, and something breaking through to scare him enough seems like it could be interesting in getting to know his character. So, let us know what he is dreaming about!

If you get a bad feeling get out as fast as you can.

Put a comma after the word 'feeling'.

Also, if the whole household is eventually waking up to see this happening, to see Obi leaving, then wouldn't Lekan as well? Unless he went out, I am curious to know what he thinks of the King sending for his uncle and all. I know you are mostly focusing on Obi and Conya as characters here, but don't be afraid to briefly have Lekan pop up, seeing as he lives there and would've been woken to the drama as well.

Going to read more!

Deanie x

Snowery wrote a review...

Yo, yo I'm back! :D

Main Points

There are none. XD I couldn't find anything.

Alrighty, this is going to be a really short and pathetic review. I can't find much wrong with your story in all honesty, except for what mentioned previously about the whole setting issue, I really have nothing else to complain about. :D

I think character development is one of your strongest attributes for sure. I love Obi, you've given him such depth in character that he feels almost real. His thought processes are always consistent and I never feel like he loses any of his traits or does something unObi-ish :D
I'm starting to feel like Lekan's mother is really starting to take shape as a character aswell. I especially love the chemistry between her and Obi. It's so much fun to watch and Obi's awkwardness is just adorable :D

Hopefully I'll have more t say in the next chapter :D Great job! Keep it up and happy writing! :) :)

Silverlock

Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:31 am
JayeCShore wrote a review...

Hi, J.C. here for a review!

"Some occasions a man needs to be alone, and others a man needs to show off the fact that he doesn't have to walk on his own two feet to get somewhere. Those times have been inconvenient."

I've always felt that the dialogue in a work of writing is the most important thing, as it really establishes the characters, which are the life and soul of the story. Sometimes, though, writers attempt to "spice" up their dialogue by writing things that the characters never would have been able to say, or think of, in those moments. This is not the case with your writing, and I really enjoyed that part of it.

Because I haven't read any of the other chapters, and this one is so short, there's not much that I can say about the plot of the story, except that I enjoyed the little bit that I got. It seems, original.

I have to be honest, though, this sentence, right there at the beginning, was a huge turn off point. It's fairly run-on and there are no punctuation marks to separate out the different parts, so I was worried that the entire thing would be like this.

His voice was a rasp as he ran a hand over his face.

He looked up from his clothes at her wavering voice.

I love these abstract lines. You don't say things in the traditional manner, and you break the laws of physics, but it's not like something magical. You're voice can't be something physical, and you can't look at someone's voice. But yet, here they are. This makes your writing stylized, and it goes beyond being unique. I really like it.

Also, from the way you write, you explain very little about the actual story line and what is happening, which leaves the reader in the dark a bit, which is often a bad think, but not here. Of course, I haven't read the other chapters, but I was intrigued and wanted to see what happened to Obi when he went in to see the king. At least, I believe that's what's going on?

In any case, this was a breath of fresh air. Clean, crisp, and well defined.

Thank you megsug!

#D65F54 ">- JC -

“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing