Arrow Under the Moonlight

by Lightsong

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

We roamed in the forest, Haka and I. The sun stayed fix above our heads. I wiped the sweat above my eyebrow. Haka walked beside me, switching his attention between the surrounding and the map.

‘We’re close,’ he whispered. He took my arm.

And praised Lio. His touch sent electricity to my bare skin. I let him drag me to wherever the cave was, suppressing my reaction to his physical contact.

We went through trees without leaves, chirping of birds accompanying us. Then, we arrived. An ascending path led to the cave, which was dark inside.

Haka let go of my arm, which left me both relieved and longing for more. I grabbed the arrow behind my back and readied it along with my bow.

Haka held his sword in a defensive position. He didn’t need to, but having a weapon at your side was useful when you encountered enemies to which you couldn’t cast the spells fast enough. The cave was a mystery to us, so we couldn’t know what was inside it.

A frosty breeze kissed our skin as we entered. That was unexpected. ‘Can you cast a fire spell, Haka?’ I whispered. ‘In this darkness, I’m not surprised if we fall into a trap hole.’

‘Yeah, I think I can make some, though they’re not useful for offense. Ignis selis.’ A ball of fire appeared on his palm.

Now that I could see what was in front of me, I gasped. What lied under my feet was no rocks or soils, but flat ice which felt like a tarred road. What was this place? Perhaps magical artifacts required magical keeping place.

‘Interesting,’ Haka said. I noticed his intonation changed a little bit. He seemed pleased.

We walked deeper into the cave, relying on our instincts now that we had ventured into a place about which the map had no details. Haka hooked his arm around my shoulder, pressing me towards him. I cursed inwardly again. I could tell he wanted me closer to him; between the two of us, I needed protection more thant he did. But this still rocked my sea of emotions.

‘Don’t you think our school isn’t fair, sometimes?’ he asked.

I raised my eyebrow. ‘What do you mean?’

He shrugged. ‘It’s all boys, no girl. Maybe girls can survive living with each other, but boys can’t.’

This was weird, and I startled to tingle with alarms. What was his point? We continued walking, but somehow we did it with no purpose now. The cave reeked with silence, and I wished to get this test done. Finding a ruby sword shouldn’t be hard. Perhaps it glowed in the dark.

‘We have to socialize with girls. Talk to some of them, have them as our friends. But that’s not the most important part. We have needs, and only girls can satisfy us.’

I wanted to vomit right there. How could he be talking about girls at this moment? A beast could suddenly jump at us, and we’d never know because of this useless conversation. What was so arousing about girls, anyway? They only had holes, no swords. I couldn’t tell that to Haka, of course. He might accuse me of being a sinner and our years-long friendship could be over in the worst possible place ever.

His face moved closer to my ear. ‘But you’re not like us.’

His whisper raised the hair on my neck, and before I could react, he shoved me to the ground, and in the process, I lost hold of my weapons. He kicked them away and pointed the sword to my neck before I could stand. The fire illuminated his face, and I could see how his eyes were black no matter how much light they were exposed to. He smiled. I never saw that kind of smile from him before.

‘I knew you peeked at me every time I undressed in the room, pretending to be asleep. I wanted to report your blasphemous action to the school, but I gave myself some time to think about it. At the end, I thought, maybe it wasn’t a sin you were committing after all. Perhaps this is just Lio’s way to end to my - our troubles.’

I gulped. ‘What are you trying to do, Haka? Lio doesn’t want you to be like this. The God of the Sun wouldn’t want you to use your strength to force someone.’

He scowled. ‘Shut up, sinner. I knew your arrival is just to please us. That’s the reason of your existence.’ He raised my face with the tip of the blade. ‘You don’t belong to the magic academy.’

His words cut deep through my heart. He was right about that. I shouldn’t be in Quasar Magica Academy. Unlike the others, I couldn’t use magic. My soul wasn’t attuned to any kind of element. The principal accepted me because of my knowledge of magic, and I knew at some point that wouldn’t be enough. What good would the knowledge give you if you couldn’t put it into practice?

‘Mrs. Venaria said I wasn’t like the rest,’ I said, trying to convince Haka as much as to myself. ‘She said I am a late linker. An element would react to me eventually.’

Haka sneered. ‘That old woman’s delusional. There’s no such thing as a late linker. She lied to you.’ The tip went closer to my throat, bringing me pain. ‘Now, do as I say. Turn around.’

‘Please, Haka, don’t do this. We’re friends!’ I hoped he realized what he meant to me and shook the demon out of his body. I didn’t want to imagine what could happen if he went through with his plan.

He spit at me. ‘You’re not my friend the moment you’re a sinner. You don’t even worth to be treated like a human. Turn around, or I swear I’ll chop off your head.’

I stared at him, wondering if there was truth in his words. His held on the sword didn’t falter; his pose was rigid. His eyes… I looked away, unable to bear see the determination reflected in them. He wasn’t the Haka I knew, the one whose laughter always lingered at the tip of his tongue, who brushed away insults and profanities like they were dirt sticking on his shirt. No, this was a different Haka, and perhaps the truest one I had ever seen.

I refused to accept this version of him.

In a swift movement, I took out my dagger and clashed it with the sword, forcing the sword away from me. I stepped closer to Haka but he regained his stability so fast I had to retreat from the swing he made. I took a quick glance to the surrounding and realized this place was perfect to hide. I retreated deeper into the darkness, away from Haka’s fire.

I couldn’t tell the spot I was in, but I could see him. He was now turning his head around, trying to locate where I was. I stood still and breathed slowly. My tears had dried. In front of me was an enemy who wouldn’t hesitate to do whatever he wanted from me.

‘You can’t hide from me, Gael,’ Haka said loudly, uncaring of what the volume would attract in this silent cave. ‘You need my fire to get out of here. Just surrender. It’s not worth it.’ He paused in his effort to find me. ‘Terra magna.’

I shut my eyes, expecting for the ground to crack open and release earthly hands which would pull me towards him. But for the next few seconds, nothing happened. I realized, then. The ice was too thick. It blocked the sand and soil. His magic was useless. It was all melee.

I noticed my bow and arrow next to him and the thought of striking him with those flashed into my mind. But that was impossible; I couldn’t even pass him to go there. I cursed inwardly and continued keeping my distance away from him. Every time he moved towards my direction, I stepped back, careful not to make any sound.

In the moment of danger, I prayed. Not to Lio, God of the Sun, Father of Justice. No, he wouldn’t be able to help me with this. Someone like Haka didn’t deserve justice. The flowery feeling I had on him vanished the moment he shed his skin to reveal the blackness behind it. Enough was the suffering I would receive if the followers of the Naturals knew I had committed the sin of liking the gender forbidden to me.

I directed my words to the Natural who would side me, Sera, Goddess of the Moon, Mother of Revenge. I needed her cold anger, the determination to bring punishment to those who had treated me wrong. Give me the miracle I need to save myself, I thought. Give me the weapon I need to destroy my enemy.

Then, I felt it. Coldness seeped into my body, the sensation of being thrown into a land of snow. I could hear the sigh of the ice beneath me, above me, and at my sides. The ancient cave, made to keep the ruby sword, vibrated to me. In a single second, flashes of the past rushed towards me, of those who had dared to venture here and failed to come out alive. The cave was ruthless, protecting what was its from outsiders.

And it connected to me. I wanted to protect my life, and to do so, I needed to be merciless. Grab your weapons, it whispered to me. They are the link.

I frowned. Was the cave mad? If I stepped into the light Haka’s fire had provided, I would be dead for sure.

Grab your weapons, it repeated. It’s the only way.

I took a deep breath and emptied my mind as a functioning one would scream to me to not start this craziness. I ran towards Haka and passed him, getting the side of my stomach sliced in the process. Pain pierced me like a hundred of needles, but I threw myself to my weapons, the bow and the arrows. I gritted my teeth and took a look at my stomach. It had a wide gash on it, blood flowing from it. Then, I turned my weapons.

They were encased in ice, and from them, a tiny stream of water ran through my hand, my arm, and to my stomach. I could feel ice being put there and realized it was healing me.

I heard Haka cursing and his steps. I looked at him and ran through my memory for ice-based spells. Ice was a rare element only a few could attract, but I was grateful with my passion to remember everything. ‘Aria erfanta,’ I whispered.

The ice ground moved. It was as if it broke into many parts, each of them having a mind of their own. The one under Haka moved him away from me, just as the one under me moved myself away from him. His fire was still lit, enveloping his hand, and now that I had my bow and arrow, I knew what I had to do.

But I wasn’t him, and I wouldn’t turn myself to darkness so easily. I cried out to him. ‘Throw away your sword and admit defeat! Enough with this nonsense!’

Hearing that, he laughed. ‘Gael, my family has been hunting for sinners like you for centuries. I aspire to be an example of Lio, and for that I must kill you, or turn you into something that is worthy of life.’

He was a lost cause, and as evil as he was right now, I was reminded to the good times we had together. It was amazing how a test changed him drastically. My Haka was gone. I needed to get rid of this, not just for my sake but for people like me.’

I let go of the arrow, and before it reached Haka, it turned to dust. I gasped. Light suddenly filled the cave, not orange like Haka’s but pure white. The surrounding was open to view, and I saw someone behind Haka wearing a spectacle. Mrs. Venaria, the principal herself. She was the one who supervised our test?

‘Interesting,’ she said, moving towards us. ‘Your soul has found its element, Gael.’ She glanced at Haka. ‘For someone who is expected to be the top in our school, I’m disappointed in you.

‘The test is canceled. I’ve decided both of you are no longer able to be partners, and a new one would be assign to you. Follow me.’

Haka was speechless, and so was I. I was glad he was no longer my partner, but as we exited the cave, I was reminded by the horrible events that had unfolded. All this time, Mrs. Venaria had been watching us, and she didn’t make a move when Haka tried to rape me. But she stopped me from killing him. She was just like others who believed the Naturals taught them love only existed, and only permitted, between men and women. She didn’t care about me at all; perhaps I was still alive because of my rare magic.

As we went to the academy, I didn’t look at Haka even once. I knew now my purpose, and why my magic had been awakened at this moment. Sera had given me a message, and I was to be her hero. The one who lurked in the darkness and bring harm to those who had wronged me. Perhaps this was her way to tell me their interpretation was wrong. Perhaps I had to make everything right.

The sun was setting as I looked up to the sky. Soon, the moon would rule it, and I knew, that would be my time.

A/N: Ah, finally, a short story. I'm back with the fantasy genre, and while I think this is a typical story line for someone like me, I like the religion aspect of it, and how the magic works. My only concern is Haka, the villain, because I think I make him the stereotypical bad people. What do you think?

Kazumi wrote a review...

Hey, Light.

I try to keep my promises, even though they come in months later lol. Let's proceed with the notes I got.

-I noticed from the beginning that the setting game is weak. When the settings were described, I had a hard time painting it in my head. The cave, for example, I could imagine. It was dark, it was cave-y, but the image in my head felt incomplete and bland.

That really hurt the story, especially because this was supposed to be of fantasy genre. One of the biggest selling points of fantasy is that it pulls you into a whole new different world, and I was expecting that to be done to me, but it didn't happen. It would have been fun though.

-Another problem was the lack of mood. Going into a cave is pretty damn scary, or at least that is how I imagine it. It's just you and your partner, entering a dark, confined space, facing who-knows-what. It's cold, it's claustrophobic, its darkness hides the dangers lurking about. It's spooky stuff. However, I don't really feel that fear creeping into my soul when they enter the cave, or in any point of the story. It hurts how gripping the tensions can be.

-The third thing on my notes is the stakes. This is where my last two points intersect with a new one.

In the fight scene between Haka and Gael, the thing that is at stake in the narrative is life. If Haka wins, he lives. If Haka loses, he dies.

Enhancing the setting and mood can help sell the idea of a life-or-death situation. I had a hard time believing that the cave the test was held in had no environmental hazards, aside from ice. The story even said that many who tried to enter the cave die. Maybe you could add details that prove this. A pit of spiky rocks, perhaps. Or ice that drives you insane when you get cut by it. Or maybe corpses rotting along the path of the cave. That increases the danger Gael is in, upping the stakes, giving him more of a reason to win, and giving us readers a reason to be at the edge of our seats.

Intensifying the mood also helps. For example, making Gael's heart pound like hell whenever Haka takes a step, or taunts him, can grind in this atmosphere of fear. In turn, we the readers also get scared.

The last one for this section is raising and establishing the power of the villain. The principal character says Haka is one of the best boys at school, but that's not very apparent. All he has shown in the story is a fire that isn't good for combat, earth magic that's useless in the cave, and a sword. That don't feel like much mang. Maybe if you give him greater powers, or let him show off more of his abilities, then that would up the stakes, make it more intense. I'd be scared for our main man if Haka turned out to be a master swordsman, or if his fire magic can be used for offense.

-While we're on the topic of the villain, you asked after the story about him, if he feels a little too tropey.

Yeah, he does. However, there's an easy remedy to that.

I had a hard time buying into the idea he totally wants to kill Gael. I mean, it would be hard to harm someone you like, hang out with and are invested in, right? Add an ounce of sadness to him, then maybe he'll feel more human.

-The last thing I have on this story is how the main character becomes driven by vengeance by the end of the short. I quote from the story:

"Sera had given me a message, and I was to be her hero. The one who lurked in the darkness and bring harm to those who had wronged me."

That last sentence unsettled me and warped my entire understanding of this character. I, and probably many others, are of the belief that vengeance is a terrible thing. If I gouged one guy's eye out, he'd gouge mine out, then I'd gouge his other one out, then he'd do the same to me, and, since I have no eye to gouge out from him, I'd pull a tooth of his out, and, since he has no eye to gouge out from me, he'd pull out a tooth of mine, and this would go on and on until we're just two, stumbling, bumbling bloodied masses of meat, desecrated and deformed versions of what we were before.

I would totally be on board in this idea if this story was a dark story like Game of Thrones, but it wasn't until now. From the beginning, this story felt and was written like those good old YA fantasy books, and all throughout the story I saw Gael as an admirable hero we could root for.

But damn, that perspective has been screwed over now because of that one sentence near the end.

-When I first read the story, I liked it very much. I ain't gay, but I rooted for the main character anyway as he got up from the low points in this story. If I had reviewed this story back then, I would have had no problems about it. It was only upon coming back to it when I realized its flaws. Hey, maybe it's just enough for some people to be entertained for a while, but you're not going to settle for just that, right?

Anyway, that's the review. I have a few more notes but I got other stuff to do. So, yes. Have a pretty nice day, man.

Lightsong says...

Aww, thanks for the review! You're back, b0ss! <3

Mea wrote a review...

Hai! So I haven't reviewed since the beginning of April, so I may be rusty. You have been warned.

The good:
This story has so many ideas packed into it and so much potential - I'm really impressed, honestly. I really like that you have two conflicts here - his attraction to Haka, and the problem of him not being linked to an element.

What was so arousing about girls, anyway? They only had holes, no swords.

OKAY so this made me laugh out loud, but it's also really suggestive and honestly feels kind of out of place in the story. But it made me laugh. A lot. And then feel slightly guilty because it's so suggestive. :P

I really liked that moment when he grabbed his ice-crusted weapons and the link was made - I could feel the power of that moment. (Honestly, it really reminds me of some of Brandon Sanderson's climactic scenes, though that might be because I'm re-reading Mistborn at the moment.)

To improve:
So, you have 2 conflicts, and that's great. It also means you need to decide which is slightly more important in the story. From the way the climax played out and the way your ending was, it felt like the discovery of the magic was the "main" plot (which makes sense, this being fantasy), with the powerful subplot being the attempted rape/homophobia, thus driving the main character through his changes and motivating his actions at the end of the story. Personally, I think it works really well.

The problem is your beginning isn't nearly as well set up for the ending. I think you spend a little too much time on his attraction to Haka, and not enough time talking about the academy, how the magic system works, and how Gael hasn't been linked and how that affects his status there. I think the biggest thing is that you open with the conflict of Gael's attraction, when to me it would feel better paced if the first conflict introduced was how Gael isn't linked, and then you introduce the homophobia, etc.

The other thing is the exposition. I can tell you're trying to have it mostly in dialogue so you don't have too many long paragraphs of information, but I think in this case you've swung too far the other way. As other people have pointed out, sometimes it winds up being awkward, and on the whole you just aren't revealing enough information for it to properly set up the climax. In this case, I'd go ahead and have a couple paragraphs near the beginning that explain about the academy, Gael's role there, and that they're doing a supervised test right now. (The other main two things that I felt weren't well enough explained were the stuff about the linking magic and different gods, and why homosexuality is considered a sin.)

Something I'd like to see explored/explained more is why Haka thinks it's okay to rape Gael if homosexuality is considered a sin - wouldn't he then be a sinner too? I mean, it's obvious he's a pretty twisted guy, but what's his justification? That might be something you could dive deeper into.

But yeah! I could really feel the power in this story - it was intense and I enjoyed it a lot. I think you can make it a lot cleaner and better foreshadowed in previous drafts, but I think this is one of my more favorite stories of yours.

papillote wrote a review...

Hi, Lightsong.
Am I completely off or is your main protagonist, Gael, a boy? Because I thought so and, then, the other reviews made me wonder if I had missed something.
I really hope that Gael is gay, though because I loved this part:
«  What was so arousing about girls, anyway? They only had holes, no swords. »

As for Haka being too much of a bad guy, the problem is that his 'badness' comes too suddenly, rather. He was okay while they entered the cave, then he began acting like a bastard. He was a little too friendly, maybe, I wondered if we were about to get some yaoi action. Then, there was the "we need girls" speech. I loved that bit, thank you. I could just imagine how crushed Gael felt. And then, boom, attempted rape. Maybe Gael could notice some outward signs of lust in Haka instead of getting all excited on his own.

I liked the bit about Sera and Lio. I want to know more about those 'Naturals'.

But what I appreciated most was how you portrayed male rape. It's a little exploited subject, except maybe in gay fiction where it's often described like it's romantic. I think it's just as shameful as romanticising female rape. I think it's good that you made it clear that, even though Gael had a crush on Haka, the sex would have been rape.

So thank you, Lightsong.

Lightsong says...

Yeah, Gael is a guy and he's gay. :P

Atticus wrote a review...

Hey there Lightsong,

MJ here for a super quick review (I mean it this time, I need to study for finals). First, some things that could be improved (in my opinion, don't feel obligated to make changes):

So firstly, I felt that Haka's change was a little too sudden, if you know what I mean. He shifts from a caring and friendly guy to a very accusatory and harsh interrogator, and the MC's reaction to this wasn't quite as strong as it should be for a change this strong. She seems to have known him for a long time, and possibly has a crush on him (at least some sort of feeling, as implied before). So just taking that change with a mild surprise doesn't really seem believable.

Another thing I wanted to address was wording. Sometimes you were unclear, like when you said in the first paragraph "The sun stayed fix above our heads." It should be 'fixed' instead of 'fix', and normally when a small mistake like that is made I would overlook it, but in this case it was consistent enough I felt that I should address it.

I have one quote here that I'd like to address:

In the moment of danger, I prayed. Not to Lio, God of the Sun, Father of Justice. No, he wouldn’t be able to help me with this. Someone like Haka didn’t deserve justice.
So she didn't pray to Lio, but who did she pray to? Is there a separate god for cases like this? And that last statement seems to be a bit unclear- Haka didn't deserve justice. That's not really a hateful remark, since when a criminal is found you wish that justice is done as a punishment for their crimes. Everybody deserves justice, especially wrongdoers. Does it mean that she isn't praying that he does justice to her, because if so that's not what I first thought. These two sentences are confusing, and since they are pretty essential to the story, I would adjust them so they are less ambiguous.

And my final quote before I move onto praises-
She was just like others who believed the Naturals taught them love only existed, and only permitted, between men and women. She didn’t care about me at all; perhaps I was still alive because of my rare magic.
I think I understand what you're saying here, if you mean that she didn't give importance to females and prioritized males because in that culture, males were seen as the more important ones. But what's the point of the first sentence? To me it reads as if it wasn't permitting gay or lesbian behaviors, but from the context it seems to make more sense to make a comment about the permission of rape- was it highly frowned upon, as in many modern cultures, or was it something where people gave half-hearted attempts to stop it but wouldn't inconvenience themselves to stop it?

Other than those few sections, I thought this was a wonderfully written and captivating story. It had a little bit of a slower start with several typos that I do encourage you to fix, but once we got into the action it was written very well and held my attention. Two specific spots of praise-

I really loved how you described Gael's rejection of Haka's behavior, how she said "I will not accept him this way" and then decided to fight. Your description of the fight was also beautifully written and built up enough suspense and then relieved it appropriately, which was one of the strongest points of your book. The entire plot was well set-up-for, complete with some foreshadowing and good descriptions of the characters' emotions as well.

And finally, I thought the culture was well done because it had its own set of rules and expectations, something that wasn't just some haphazard rules thrown around here and there so that the story makes sense but a clear thought process that the creators of the land used to shape the culture. It's hard to express, but the way you created a separate culture that seemed feasible was well done, especially because of how the different characters responded to it. You are pushing the limits of some stereotypes, but I think that your unique usage of magic combined with the culture helped to give it a different feel than the typical fantasy novels. Overall, great job here and I look forward to seeing more works from you!

Now I'm off to finals! Please. Send. Help
if I die I'm leaving all my drafts to @ChieRynn

Best wishes,
MJ

what

Lightsong says...

Thanks for the review! Gael is a gay guy. :)

Atticus says...

@ChieRynn everyone else would probably publish them in 'loving memory of MJ Tucker' but really they're not good enough to be published.

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Hi there, nit-picks first:

And praised Lio.

This is a little unclear. Did Haka praise Lio, or is this an exclamation, like "praise the lord".

He didn’t need to, but having a weapon at your side was useful when you encountered enemies to which you couldn’t cast the spells fast enough.

This sounds a bit technical, not like how people naturally think. I'd imagine something more like: "He didn't need to, but a weapon at your side was useful when you couldn't cast spells at enemies fast enough".

though they’re not useful for offense

This also sounds a bit technical, like a player coming out of character when another player asks them a question about their characters' spellers in Dungeons and Dragons.

But this still rocked my sea of emotions.

This is a bit tell-y. Show me by the character's thoughts what they're feeling.

They only had holes, no swords

Uh so this is a bit crude. This is not where I was expecting this to go at all. It makes sense given where it goes afterwards, but just now it was very jarring as the tone had not been like this. If you have teenager-like thoughts more often before this, it would help.

I hoped he realized what he meant to me and shook the demon out of his body.

"realized" should be "would realize" and "shook" would be "would shake".

His held on the sword didn’t falter

"hold"

committed the sin of liking the gender forbidden to me.

This is a little clunky. Like, if someone in our world was having this thought, they'd think something like "committed the sin of homosexuality". It seems likely that the fantasy world would have its own word if it cares about it so much, or even also say homosexuality. Also, if your world concept is hyper-homophobia, that sounds quite interesting!

not just for my sake but for people like me.’

Doubt that speech mark's meant to be there.

a new one would be assign to you.

"a new one will be assigned to you"

I was reminded by the horrible events that had unfolded

"by" should be "of"

she didn’t make a move when Haka tried to rape me.

Wait that's what he was doing? I thought he was trying to stab him in the back. Maybe have him say something like, "If you like it up the arse so much..." (or ass, think I saw US spelling). Also, I forget what the description was for this but if you don't have a trigger warning you should probably add one.

Character: I get a great sense of Gael and Mrs. Venaria, but you're right, I am a little concerned about Haka. I think it's difficult because the reasons why people are homophobic are so stupid, but they do have things that they call reasons, so it's probably good to give homophobic characters some sort of followable motivations. Maybe Haka feels betrayed because his best friend isn't who he thought he was (he is, but that's not what Haka thinks). Maybe other people have noticed Gael's sexuality and have been making jokes about Haka and Gael as a couple, and it's got too much for Haka. Also, why has he chosen to confront him now in particular? I think there's scope to get some of this into the argument.

Setting: This is done well, I think. I might be biased cos I like fantasy a lot so I can picture the settings easily. Maybe ask other reviewers about this.

Plot: I like the idea of simple homophobia in a very different world. And homophobia plus schoolkids plus magic seems like a recipe for disaster. I think the conflict is revealed at a good pace and this was enjoyable to read.

Flow: Generally good except for the couple of phrasing nit-picks I pointed out. I think the ending is good and makes it work as a short story, which I was worried it wasn't going to do. It did seem like the start of Gael's adventures in being discriminated against for being gay, while also no longer being discriminated against for not having magic. If you were to write this as a novel, I'd be interested in reading more of it... *nudge nudge wink wink*

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)

Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
— G.K. Chesterton