An Arrival Later Unwelcomed

by Lightsong

Your presence was a reflection
of wounds you gave to me.
They had healed but
the scars remained.
A mirror of nightmares.

I was surprised at first of how
you had lost the menacing laughs
and chuckled at your innocuous jokes now.
But I realized then that your eyes
still maintained their mischievous gleam -
I shuddered at that, recalling the past hells.
Some of the words you spoke were
missiles that didn't care where they headed too.
A mix of angel and demon.

I could only think of and feel pain
when they hit me at the part
that was never healed.
My wounded heart had
no hope left.

You had changed from bad to good
and yet you didn't learn from your
horrible past mistakes - why?
You didn't remember my essence was
as fragile as melting candle, burning
as you set fire to it without thought.
History when forgotten
repeated itself.

I tried to let my smile stay and
overlooked your little needles,
threatening to let it fall and shatter.
But I was made from living flesh,
susceptible to mortal injuries and
eventually the needles passed
my pain threshold.
Even the greatest wall
would collapse.

Tending my broken spirit,
I needed to stretch a distance between you and me,
let you be at at the North Pole where you belonged,
and I would recover at the South Pole where I belonged.
Everyday I hoped there would be a time when
we met in between where we belonged.
A hope for a better arrival.

Mon May 16, 2016 6:06 am
Rook wrote a review...

Heyyyy
So you asked for a review on this way back in September, and I sorta completely forgot about it till now sooo here I am.

Okay, so I think the main problem I have with this poem is its cliche-ness. Most of the images that you relied on in this poem are cliche. I've read them so many times. Shattering, angels/demons, various injuries or pain, putting dramatic things in italics, Nightmares, scars... All these things are pretty cliche to me on their own, but I can overlook them if they're on their own. But all of them thrown together in the same poem? Add onto that a sort of sense of vague-ity about what's really going on (like, I get that someone came back and we didn't like them then and we don't like them now, but I as a reader don't really understand /why/ we don't like them or why or how they're causing us this very vague pain described as needles, but is this person really stabbing needles into your heart?).

I also get from all this cliche-ness a sort of feeling like you're just trying to be poetic, and so you're writing in a way that you think is poetic, all dramatic and feelings, but I think poetry is really about capturing concrete images that in turn capture emotions. You have some concrete images, but in general, they were cliche, and your other images were all muddled, and not very concrete at all, but more abstract, "it's all in my mind" sort of images.

Also clunkiness. I agree with past reviewers about the poles lines being clunky, and some of the other lines, when read aloud, just don't really sound nice or flow well.

I hope this helped!
Let me know if you have any questions, and Keep writing!
~fortis

Elinor wrote a review...

Hi Lightsong!

I'm Elinor, and I'm here to give you a quick review. I think that this is a really interesting poem, and that it has the potential to be really great. You're a good writer and I think your descriptions so far are strong. But I agree with Meandbooks in that I don't think this is quite there yet.

I think where you lost me the most is that this does not feel very poetic. Your descriptions are full and rich but, as I said, at the expense of a poetic flow. Take, for example, this line:

It's clunky. If you want you might be able to make this into a short story and not change around too much, but if you want to keep this as a poem, considering those things are important. I would read this aloud once through and just focus on how it sounds. Does it roll off your tongue?

It's also a bit too descriptive right now. To me, the best poetry that I've read has always described things more abstractly, and let the reader fill in the blanks.

I hope I've given you things to think about! Let me know if you have any questions.

Best!

Amnesia wrote a review...

Hey there, I'm here to review this piece you've written.

I love the first Stanza, someway it kinda grasped my attention so good going keep this up.
Maybe in the second stanza could have more description of this Angelic and Demonic laughter.
Third Stanza,

I could only think of and feel pain
when they hit me at the part
that was never healed.
My wounded heart had
no hope left.

After the last two lines I caught on that you were talking about your heart but I think you should add some more descriptive words in there to make it more clear. Otherwise Great job here.

Honestly I think is more of a lyrical work rather than a poetry work, that's just the way it sounds to me, the way it sounds to you is what really matters. You did a great job other than what I mentioned on descriptions I think there should be at least one more stanza explaining more in depth but that's at your own discretion. Otherwise great job and I look forward to seeing more.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:40 am
Mea wrote a review...

Hey there! I'm here for a quick review on this interesting piece.

So, I call this piece interesting, because I can see you've got the makings of a great poem here. But I don't think it's quite there yet, and I'll just give you a few pointers.

There are parts of this that I love, where the imagery is great - the "fragile as a melting candle" for instance, is a really nice image. However, a lot of this was a bit too much telling. There are lots of rather passive verbs, like "I was surprised" or "I realized then that your eyes." Instead, have that happen during the poem. Say something like "but in the shadows your eyes still sparkled/ with the mischief that had birthed my past hells."

During the second half of the fifth stanza, when the narrator succumbs, have that be immediate as well, so we can feel the pain. Random example: "but flesh can be mortally wounded/and your needles passed my pain threshold." Basically, take out things like "eventually" and other words that distance the event from the reader. You want it up close and personal, so the reader can feel what the narrator feels.

You had changed from bad to good
and yet you didn't learn from your
horrible past mistakes - why?

Here is another example of you being overly direct. Don't be afraid to layer your meanings. Maybe take this opportunity to bring back an image you used previously, like the missiles, and say something like "you never learned/that unguided missiles still hurt." Also, words like "yet" are another thing that make your poem sound slightly pretentious and distant from the reader, which is usually not a good thing.

I feel like I'm explaining this really badly, and for that I'm sorry. This is kind of an intuitive thing that you learn over time, and I'm not sure how to explain it. I'm trying to provide examples, but I'm not sure if you'll like any of them. Please don't feel like I want you to use them! I was just trying to demonstrate the principle. Rework it at your own discretion.

I hope that, despite my terrible explaining skills, this could be a bit helpful. Good luck and keep writing!

The only way of knowing a person is to love them without hope.
— Walter Benjamin