let's get drown

by Lightsong

[start of light]

face ready
with a frown
and a curled
downward mouth

drown it in
a tube full
of many
active ants

neon lights
in the tube
burn and blind
open eyes

suck it in;
all of it.
freedom's fade
hope has gone

[end of light]

Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:53 am
KingQueenKnave wrote a review...

Another poem with a reference to drowning, yet doesn't quite have the same power and doesn't carry over the same punch. First of all, the title appears grammatically incorrect. Maybe this is a typo, or a deliberate inclusion. If this was for a reason, it's gone way over my head and onto the walls close by.

You begin the poem and end it with "light" in brackets. Again, I am unsure of what this actually adds to your piece. Perhaps an extension will be in order. Unless, of course, you are creating the image of a concert. Or a dramatic performance. Or...something of that nature.

I liked your first stanza. It is only a sentence, stretched out over four lines, but it is effective because it is disjointed. The imagery you create with the curled downward mouth is also effective in in establishing the character's mood. Perhaps they are sad, or maybe lost. It certainly seeks approval from the ambiguity department, though is it too ambiguous? I'm just trying to make heads and tails of it, and my efforts seem to be dwindling. Yet, it makes me want to read on to the proceeding stanza for an answer.

Your second stanza doesn't answer that question, at least to my expectations. Then again, my personal expectations are irrelevant to the author's intentions, but the sudden emergence of a tube of active ants really threw me off. In fact, I laughed out loud from the absurdity of the image. I hoped it would reveal the character's feelings, not a vivid, almost nightmarish stanza which a reference to ants eating someone's face. By all means, it's an entertaining image and one I am not totally opposed to. It just seems like a left hook and too sudden a contrast. It escalates at a velocity of a 1000 miles a second.

The third stanza, again, adds another random piece of imagery with neon lights. The same lights at the beginning and end of the poem? I think not, though it wouldn't surprise me if it was your intention. Once again, I actually like the imagery with the burning and blind eyes, but it seems a bit too out of place to have maximum impact.

The fourth stanza reveals an inconsistency in punctuation. You lack any form of punctuation in the other stanzas, which had some effect on its reading- i.e. I could live without it. However, your inclusion of a semi-colon and a full stop seemed incredibly random, and led me to speculate, "there must be something important about these lines". To some extent, it makes for a sudden stop, but then I saw the proceeding two lines lacked the finality. There appears to be confusion or a meaning I am missing.

Also, your ending is too depressing, in my opinion. I don't mind dark, depressing works, but I like it when there is even a little bit of flickering light through the darkness. It just seems to be hopelessly forlorn and just dull, and contrasts to the rest of the poem.

Overall, a good effort, but there appears to be a muddle of intent.

Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:48 am
TahaT11n says...

Hi, Light ( reminds me of Light Yagami) I am not really a 'poem' person, but I have loved this one... few lines are describing many things..Last two words were awwweesome..

I have loved "active ants"

I will try to get drown...

Lightsong says...

Lol thanks.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:52 pm
RagingLive wrote a review...

Hi Lightsong! RagingLive here with the promised review!

First of all, I think that you have a very nice poem here! I'm guessing from the below comments that it is somehow related to a strange poem that I just can't place at the moment. The title was a bit confusing, but considering it might stem from other influences, it isn't a huge deal.

drown it in
a tube full
of many
active ants

I didn't get the reference of ants unless you're comparing ants to people? I'm not really sure, but I do know that you missed a step in your syllable count above. You kept a steady three count on every line throughout you poem except for the paragraph above where the next to last line quoted has two syllables instead of three. I'm not quite sure how you could remedy this, but I will try to give you an example:
"drown it in / a tube full / of many red / active ants" I said red referring to fire ants, but I'm sure if you used your creativity, you could come up with something even better!

freedom's fade
hope has gone

[end of light]

I think the ending was my favorite. I felt as though it was executed just right! Bravo!

As I said, this poem was a bit hard for me to understand. I kept feeling like the meaning was like a word on the tip of my tongue that I just couldn't figure out. Overall, I thought that this was a very nice piece! Thanks for giving me a chance to review it!

Keep writing and keep on smiling!! :D
~RagingLive

Lightsong says...

Nah, I'm just borrowing the other poem's title - the context is different. ;)

"Of many" has two syllables? How can I not know this? I thought it's three! :o

Thanks for the review. :(

RagingLive says...

Oh, drat! For some reason I read it as two! My bad! (I even have a trick for counting syllables and missed it!) *facepalm* Sorry about that, hehe!

Lightsong says...

Lol okay. I've checked with the Syllable Counter and it said two tho. Whatevs. xD

RagingLive says...

Well, you're the author so it's ultimately up to you! :D

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:58 am
Becky2421 says...

Interesting choice of words...(pleasing to the ear, maybe haha)
Hate to say this but... i have no idea
what you are trying to convey.
Well maybe i do... but just not sure ;)

Lightsong says...

To be honest, the "light" in the first and last line is a last minute change for "life"...

Becky2421 says...

Haha... your nasty! Jokes :)

Becky2421 says...

Haha... your nasty! Jokes :)

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:38 am
ScarlettFire says...

Is this supposed to be a nod to another poem I've read? Hmm.....

Lightsong says...

Purely a coincidence. ;)

Willard says...

It isn't, haha.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:28 am
Willard says...

Reminds me of a poem.

Lightsong says...

Sure it does. ;)

Lightsong says...

Sure it does. ;)

GET ON IT PEEPS
— Nate