z

Young Writers Society



Balloons in Winter C1 /P

by Incandescence


Deleted.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
376 Reviews


Points: 16552
Reviews: 376

Donate
Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:31 am
Trident wrote a review...



My first thought was that this was going to be an angst story, but you put enough realism into it that it wasn't. There was less bitching than actual action going on, which makes this much better.

I'm unsure what audience would be attracted to this. Sure, you have us at YWS, but we're not the typical reader. :D There was enough drive to pull me through it, but overall I found myself going back and re-reading things. Snoink is right, you can't just skim over this and know what is going on.

I also found that the dialogue (plus the sex scene ;)) was the major force in that drive to continue reading. The dialogue seemed real enough, sometimes a little awkward, but I didn't find the cursing at all obstructive. Some of the inner-dialogue and observations of the narrator were a bit tedious though.

Some of the scenes I thought were rather random (ie. when he met the other kid in his program in the hall) but I'm sure those will pan out. At least they better!

Chapter Two next, be there shortly!




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:18 am
Snoink wrote a review...



Yay! I didn't skim it this time!

It's not one of those things that you can skim, understand.

I think it's weird, but in a cool way. I also think that it's ironic that Donny is introduced, first as Jesus (that's what Janet opens up with) and then Stalin. Was that intentional, or am I just reading into things too deeply?




User avatar
488 Reviews


Points: 3941
Reviews: 488

Donate
Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:15 am
Meshugenah wrote a review...



"sulfuric acid " eh? I'm partial to NH3, myself ;)

This morning was particularly stifling: the kind of morning with crisp oxygen (once you purged yourself of the sulfur) that fluttered into your lungs, that kind of haunting, romantic sensation of being alive.

Damn you and your poetic-ness.

Ok, I'm going to second KJ on dilaogue not seeming quite right. You curse more regularly than I'm used to hearing in normal speech (ok, so my friends and I are AP geeks, so I'm not an expert, there..), but it seems a bit crude, almost.. at least the repetitive use of "fuck". Maybe.. use a few different ones? Varity never hurt anyone (at least in this case, I don't think).

"Psh. You're nuts."

"My nuts what?"

"Huh? Oh my God, I cannot believe you just said that!"

“You know you’re just jealous.”

:D *acts innocent*

Stalin, eh? Intesting, very interesting.

“Class, I want to thank you all for your participation.” We squeaked our chairs back, all of us preparing for our dart into the hall.

"Squeaked"?

lying to the teacher, eh? Nice.

Thermo? Thermo what? Thermochem? Also, I didn't find the dialogue here that confusing at all, but I can see how it might be. I'd leave it be, but that's me.

“Fine, let’s go.”

“Yes!” I kissed her on the forehead.

“God, boy. You don’t see me for three days and you’re already horny.”

“Huh? Oh psh, I thought we could discuss the intricacies of Hawthorne…”

“Oh fuck you too.”

The one thing that annoys me.. in this case "fuck" makes sense, in other places (I pointed out a couple of them..), other four letter words might work better. Plus, it's more gratifying to use more than one ;)

Oh, one thing I had a question about. Everyone I know calls "Calculus" "Calc", so seeing it written (said) out sounded funny to me.. is this just a regional thing, then?

Anyhoo, no other nitpicks, and now, onto the next chapter!

Ta, Brad, this is good.




User avatar
324 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 324

Donate
Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:48 pm
-KayJuran- wrote a review...



I think this was well-written, and it had an interesting storyline. I don’t really think you need so much swearing though, and there was a lot of slang. That doesn’t matter too much though, so don’t worry – after all, you’ve written it in a way which shows how people talk. That’s a good thing. :)

Another thing is that it is sometimes hard to tell who’s speaking. You may want to go through the parts with large pieces of dialogue; it won’t take long to correct. Basically, you just need to make it obvious who’s speaking. That doesn’t necessarily mean you need to put ‘said [name]’ after every piece of dialogue – you just need a bit more in places.

“Hey, tiger!”

“Donny! Donny!”


Well, this bit is one of the parts where it’s hard to tell who’s speaking.. I like writing like this, but it makes it a little hard for the reader to understand. Obviously, it’s better not to confuse the poor reader. ;)

“Aw, it’s just Thermo. The professor’s a nut anyway.”


Thermo, I’m guessing, is the name of the subject that the professor teaches, right? That part doesn’t seem too clear to me, but then maybe that’s an American thing. If not, you may want to think about re-phrasing. I don’t think this is the proper name, is it?

“What? I am!”

“Yeah…right.”

“Do you really want to go to Thermo today?”

She stopped, turned to face me and took a deep breath. “Hmmm…”

I ran my hand through my hair and bit my bottom lip.

“We really probably should, Donny.”

“Aw, it’s just Thermo. The professor’s a nut anyway.”

“Yeah, and it’s probably just that TA again.”

“Probably.”

“Lazy fuckers.”

“C’mon, what do you say we go back to my room?”


Right, this is an even better example of dialogue that may need some work. You don’t need to change it much, so don’t worry.

By this time Janet had already removed my clothes. I let out a soft moan.


Okay, quick question.. are Janet and Donny doing this in front of Donny’s roommate..? Heh, if so, then I’m fairly worried..

The faded, pink vinyl siding across the walls mixed with the brown-gray cement on the floor and ceiling (I had a first-story room, thank goodness) to form an almost-gloomy aura of erudition.


Just a personal preference really, but I don’t much like brackets in fiction.. It’s up to you, but I always think hyphens look so much prettier. :P

As I got near the science building, the temperature seemed to drop dramatically. I looked around to see if anyone else had noticed this awkward depression in temperature, but, alas, I was the only one suddenly shivering with my teeth chattering. I thought I must be catching a cold of some sort, but I wasn’t so sure colds came on to their victims so unexpectedly. I opened the large, industrial-grade glass door and lurched into the bathroom. I was overcome with nausea and vomited into the closest sink. A professor-type, washing his hands at the same time I was blowing chunks, scowled and quickly dismissed himself from the restroom. Prick.


Hm, I have a question.. what’s wrong with Donny? Is he ill generally, or is it something more sinister..? Maybe we’re not supposed to find out yet, but I’m intrigued..

sitting on one of the decrepit picnic benches.


I think I may have found a spelling error / typo here. Decrepit, I think, should be decrepid.

Anyway, I’m going to stop now.. at least with the quoting. :wink:

I’d like to see where this story is going. It all seems fairly interesting so far, though it’s very different from some of the stuff that I usually read. Partly, ‘cause it doesn’t start out with some huge cliffhanger or whatever.

Anyway, good luck with it, and tell me when you get more up!

Cheers,

~Kay





First you broke my moustache, now you break my heart.
— MaybeAndrew