z

Young Writers Society



Balloons in Winter: Nightlife /P

by Incandescence


Removed.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
459 Reviews


Points: 10092
Reviews: 459

Donate
Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:08 pm
Poor Imp wrote a review...



Hey Incan.

The detail and depth of the character's voice is immediately involving. Though first-person, and even sometimes vaguely conversational, the images and description never get bogged down in silly, kitschy 'conversational' devices. Not only that, but it seems very present, even as it pulls through memories.

Trident noted the beginning. I loved the beginning. My first impression was that it dragged though--only for the structure. The sentences that become long, with dashes interjecting, make it a difficult follow. The second read through, I had no problem. My first inclination is to advise sentence structure change-up in the third paragraph; but it is this tone and voice that make the piece itself; they compliment.

An easy read's no goal in itself to aim for writing. If you want more simplicity, look at those--second and third paragraphs.

There’s always that moment when you wake in the middle of the night and you don’t know where you are, what strange city or room or bed; what stranger is lying next to you, the way people stay strangers even after you’ve gotten to know them; and those are the times when what you remember is more real than you are—you’re floating on the surface of these vivid memories and they’re the only things buoying you up.


One of the aforementioned sentences. Here, in particular, I felt as if the length and semi-colon use gives an excellent stream-of-consciousness feel, without being entirely formless and incomprehensible.

For being memories, and dealing with a certain dream-like uncertainty, there's nothing uncertain about this character--in voice, in emotion, in senses.

And that's all the Imp has got to say. I've only skimmed the preceding chapters; no point in going deeper without better knowledge.


IMP




User avatar
376 Reviews


Points: 16552
Reviews: 376

Donate
Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:54 am
Trident says...



Well I just found the other chapters. They weren't listed on the Other Fiction page so I assumed this was an isolated piece. That would definitely change what details I have access to.

I wouldn't say this isn't "to my standard". I wasn't trying to express a superiority. It was just a crit. Gosh, you're reminding me of your avatar right now. ;)

I still stand my comments about the beginning though. The whole concept that "somebody" did it is irrelevant unless of course it was a somebody in your other chapters that I don't know of.




User avatar
915 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 915

Donate
Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:01 am
Incandescence says...



trident--


I appreciate the effort you took to read and respond. My first thought is that if you haven't already read the rest of this story, it probably coagulates in an unfavorable manner. Your question as to a change in Leigh's character, I think that's covered in the preceding chapters. At the very least this was intended to give an idea as to why he is the way he is.

I understand that the beginning is lame or what-not, but I think it paints a fairly decent picture of what's going on here. The form is itself already the content. The purpose, again, is buried in the story preceding here.

Sorry this wasn't to your standards.


Best,
Brad




User avatar
376 Reviews


Points: 16552
Reviews: 376

Donate
Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:56 pm
Trident wrote a review...



First of all, you should have some sort of rating on this story. It's pretty graphic.

In the middle of the dark building there’s an air shaft that plunges down to a narrow courtyard, and someone’s lined the floor and walls of the courtyard with brilliant blue tiles.


The beginning isn't very interesting and lacks anything that will grab a reader's attention. I wouldn't use the word "someone", I would just go with "the floors and walls of the courtyard were lined..."

I’m looking out a fourth- or fifth-floor window down in this courtyard that’s more like a well than a courtyard, it’s so narrow and deep.


Kind of redundant in the middle there. Try to eliminate a "courtyard".

Someone, maybe the same person who put down the blue tiles, has strung a net of wire mesh


someone would have put them down there


Again I would get rid of someone, and just make it descriptive. Unless the someone is important, which it's not, then we don't need to know that someone did it, just that it is there.

our families, such as they are, live in barracks apartments whose rows look exactly alike, a jaundiced yellow color, and though they’ve been standing there fifty years or so nobody’s bothered to plant any trees—as if whoever built those apartments forgot them as soon as they were built, put them out of their minds as something shameful


I really like this line. They tell a story outside of the story and give us some background on the characters and their family.

We both think this story is very very when we’re stoned together


Very very?

or from the nearby toxic waste dumps that are the reason she got cancer in the first place according to the doctor


This seems lame and added at the last moment. A sort of "woe is me", "life is unfair". Perhaps if you introduce the toxic dump site earlier, you can refer back to it when talking about his mom's cancer.

Ever since that I could tell my mother preferred Billy over me, and I know my father must have recognized that it’s only because of Billy that she ever felt like a person in those last couple of months before she died.


This seems like a weak ending to me. It seems wordy and tries to pack too many thoughts into one sentence. Maybe break them up. The father is a minor character, so why does he realize it was Billy. Shouldn't Leigh, as the main character, have some sort of revelation?


This piece is depressing, in a good way. I think it just needs a little more in the way of purpose. Is it Leigh, Billy, the father, or mother that you're trying to elicit some sort of change. It shows in the mother, but where is it in Leigh? Shouldn't he change from this experience too?





"She doesn't even go here!"
— Damian Leigh