Balloons in Winter C5 /P

by Incandescence

Deleted.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:54 am
Trident wrote a review...

I agree with xanthan gum, there is something a bit off in this chapter. There are some parts I found to be rambling, and others were intriguing. This chapter is mostly Donny's inner thoughts, I feel there needs to be something more.

Why didn’t I move out of Lindon in the first place? I needed to get away from this city where I’d hurt too many people. It’s something I can hardly think about, that year in highschool with John, that summer with John and Michelle and John’s dad’s big, bare house. If you can bruise a soul, then that’s what happened. And now, three and a half years later, I’m afraid it’s started to happen all over again right here, in different circumstances, with different people—but still just the same. After everything I told myself I’d learned painfully, disastrously, how can I have let it begin again?

I did not like this paragraph. Not at all. You introduced John (who?); if he was a character in a previous chapter, he wasn't significant enough to remember. It seems to ramble on. And I can only take so many instances of the narrator asking himself questions.

But to glimpse her reflected in Chris—he was thinner, sharper in definition—well, It made me see her in a new light. Her relation to Chris changed her, it enlarged my sense of her. If I could see her in him, I could also make out, just barely, him in her.

This is brilliant. It really shows a magnificent and intricate thought process. You bring us along for the ride, and assumingly, a transition.

The ending seems rushed, a bit abrupt. It felt like you were trying to make your whole point in that last statement and hurriedly wrote some filler to get there. Plus, I wasn't really wild with the last sentence anyway. It was very frank, a style you haven't been using in past chapters. Perhaps that was your intention?

Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:33 pm
xanthan gum wrote a review...

A lot of description for Donny, and he muses a bit. I'd rather have seen the huge web between the three of them in a less direct way. It was understood, assumed, and I understand that Donny is dwelling on it - but was Donny ever one to dwell so much?

It's your work, but from what you've told me about the characters, the style feels slightly off.

We are great at fearing the wrong things.
— Hank Green