What does YWS means to me?

by Pinkiegirl13

Before I know about YWS, I used to go to many websites to write my stories. I went to Wattpad, Figment, Writerscafe, and etc. for my love of writing. I enjoyed reading people's stories on there and writing things for fun. People loved my stories and always told me that I am a great writer. Also, my friends have accounts on those sites too. They always enjoyed my stories that I wrote for them online. They sometimes wrote stories on there which they were very good as mines. I really loved those sites very much, but I wanted to go somewhere else to write my stories.

While searching for another writing site in Google, I saw a site called Young Writers Society(aka YWS). I went into the site and signed up without a second thought. I had three hundred and fifty points and saw some another users greeted me. I politely told them thank you and all that until they all stopped saying,"Welcome to YWS!" . Now I was ready to write with a thought saying, "Now to show them my love of writing."

While being here after my first day in YWS, I didn't know that this site will be too much. You have to review to get more points and people reviewed your stories or poems like you are some famous writer. I thought this site is just to write stories for fun, not to treat people like they are in school. I can improve in school with a teacher, not with a random stranger. Also, I can be mistreated by experienced writers. I was like, "Dude, I know I need help with fixing my sentences and stuff, but you don't have to be mean to me." 

However, I enjoyed getting along with people. Some of them can be rude, but most of them are nice. Even though I don't have to continue conversations, I can think of something to talk about. Also, one important about me liking it is SB(aka storybooks). I always wanted to act like my characters and become an actress. However, I have a shy moment and sometimes 'don't-know-what-to-say-for-my-character' moment in SB. I always wrote one thing for my character and then never write it again. I know that I am shy little butterfly who will get out of its shell.

Overall, I kind of like YWS. It can be too much for me, but it can be fun. I will give this site a 'B' because it seems like a great site. Anyway, have a nice day!

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:14 am
Lucia wrote a review...

I like your honesty on your feeling about YWS, and the way you get right to the point.
Before I go on to the nitpick section, I'll just mention that I'm not saying this to be mean at all, I'm saying it to give advice, and/or call your attention to something you may have missed. Not that I'm a super experienced writer, or anything like that.

There are some grammar and sentence structure mistakes which, with just a bit of polishing, could be easily fixed.
I don't understand why you made certain words (for example: "teacher", "continue" and "talk) into hyperlinks.

While I can't account for every member of YWS, I genuinely think that those members who leave seemingly harsh reviews are just trying to help the writer improve.
If you only received reviews that said, "OMG! You were so awesome!" it would flatter you, but it wouldn't really help with anything.
So, while I can't agree with you on the point of reviews, I'm glad that you expressed your honest feelings.

I hope you keep writing!

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:49 am
wtppowers wrote a review...

OMG PINKIE HEY! It's Mr. Powers here, for another fun and exciting...review? I don't want to call it a review, because you so clearly stated that you don't like reviews. I don't blame you, I hate reviews too, they all seem to be negative. And I see some people being negative here, so I'll be nothing but positive here for you.

Why will I be so nice to you? Because everything you said here is 100% true. The storybooks are fun, because you get to collaborate with other people, who can in turn inspire you. The "shy moments" you have are something that you personally will have to get over.

People can be mean. In fact, most of the reviewers do seem mean, because they're tearing up something you put your heart and soul into. But, seeing as though you've reviewed 138 works, you know that already.

I, too, hate that you've got to use "points" to submit work. But hey, what can you do?

I'm so glad you seem to be enjoying yourself here.

Cithara wrote a review...

Hey Pinkie! Thewriter13 here!
This work looks like it belongs in the blog section, because it's not a story or a poem, or anything. It's just you explaining why you like YWS and how you found it. That belongs in a blog post :)
Overall, I like it! You're honest and you give good reasons as to how you feel about this website.

People loved my stories and always told me that I am a great writer.

Should be: People loved my stories and always told me I was a great writer.
That works better with tenses.

They always enjoyed my stories that I wrote for them online. They sometimes wrote stories on there which they were very good as mines. I really loved those sites very much, but I wanted to go somewhere else to write my stories.

Lots of repetition here, you say "write" and "they" a lot. I would use synonyms to avoid so much redundancy.

Anyway, you're mostly right. But you need to understand that the purpose of reviews and CC is to make us stronger in our writing and to improve. :)
Great job!
Keep writing :)

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:08 am

It is true that some people can leave harsh reviews, but the important thing to remember about this site is that, while we write for fun, we're here to improve our skills, as well. Someone saying "Omg, this is so good, keep writing" is nice for the self-esteem, but if you don't find out what isn't working then how can you ever get better, right?

That's why I try to leave reviews that point out something that was well-done as well as some things that need improvement (or, the YWS Review Sandwich). I find it helps young writers improve without smashing their sense of worth or their dreams of being a writer. Yes, your story or poem may have some serious flaws, but every writer had to start small. It's hard to remember sometimes, when you see how famous they are now, or when you read a book and it's so good that it makes you feel like a worthless piece of crap in comparison...but that writer started out by sucking, too, and was rejected by agent after agent after agent and publisher after publisher after publisher before they became who they are today.

Some reviewers just don't like the critique sandwich because they think pointing out good things isn't helpful--good things don't need improvement! While they're right about the latter point, I disagree with the former. Pointing out good things is helpful because it's just as important to know what does work in a story as it is to know what doesn't work. They mean well, though. There are very few people on the site who review something with malice and make it a personal attack against the author--and if you ever come across one, you can report them to a moderator, and we'll take care of it.

As for the point system, I love it! I tried other sites too, a few years back, but it was hard to get reviews unless you were site-famous. (How do you even become site-famous? I had no idea then, and I have no idea now. Bad at social media because I'm bad at "social.")

Here, because you have to write reviews to get points to post your own works, people actually read each other's works and give them feedback. It's fantastic. It gives you first-hand interaction with a potential audience. Oh, I love it. Friends, mentors, mentees, and readers, all in one place--often, all in one person.

Not to mention all the cool activities and forums around the site. I've never done Storybooks, myself, but I'm glad to see you enjoy them so much.

Just have fun, and if you ever feel like someone's attacking you in a review, go ahead and contact one of the mods!

Blue

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:33 am
cleverclogs wrote a review...

I totally understand where you're coming from with all of this, even though I don't agree with some of it. I, for one, was delighted to find a site that had active reviewers. On my music website, I consider myself lucky to get a few favorites on my pieces, much less a comment. The review system was a little annoying to me at first, but it's grown on me now.

I love to hear that you love writing. I am astounded at all the ideas that you brew up in that head of yours. Just look to the right of this comment. That's a mighty big list of works. You have so many stories, so many thoughts that you put down on paper that it's amazing. I'm just over here struggling to come up with an ending for my short story! You're so creative, I have to say I'm kinda jealous. :)

On a different note, have you ever considered using your blog for things like this? They're very difficult to review (I can't exactly tell you that your characterization or plotting or whatnot is off, it's your thoughts, they aren't wrong), and they end up being in the Green Room for a while until someone decides to mark their comment as a review to get it out. Also, putting it in a blog would save points for other things.

Never stop writing! <3 :)

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:33 am
recreating wrote a review...

I can kind of agree with some of things that you've said. I remember one of my first comments basically said that in order for it to be a good poem you have to change everything about it. It said that in a way that could seem kind and helpful, but in the end it seemed more useful to give up on the poem. Though, it's nice to get some critic on work, and also for people to say why the like it. Even on another site that I am on, I ask people to say what they like about what I write. I still get responses like, "it's good. I like it."

Never use your shield as a dinner plate, for that is when the enemy is most likely to attack.
— The KotGR Commander