z

Young Writers Society

Squills 1/28/24

Reviews: 0
Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:29 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns. And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editorial Team
alliyah
(she/her)

IcyFlame
(she/her)

Liminality
(she/her)

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot
(beep/boop)

Literary Reporter
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporters
looseleaf
(she/her)

alliyah
(she/her)

Creativity Reporter
FruityBickel
(he/him)

Poetry Enchantress
alliyah
(she/her)

Resources Reporter
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Roleplay Reporters
winterwolf0100
(he/she/they)

Shady
(they/them)

Code Master
Spearmint
(she/her)

General Reporters
foxmaster
(she/her)

Isbah
(she/her)

Staff Chef
LadySpark
(she/her)

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff -- we also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, you can apply to become a journalist by submitting a sample article to SquillsBot today!

Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:31 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

REVIEWING PERSPECTIVES: INTERVIEW WITH PKMICHELLE
written by alliyah < PM: >

Reviewing has been on my mind this month! And as I was checking out the leaderboards, I noticed a new name had taken the top spot the last couple months. A newer user @PKMichelle was able to complete 41 reviews in December and complete Team Tortoise and has stayed atop the leaderboards in January too. Not only are they at the top of the leaderboard, but their reviews are top notch as well. I thought it'd be a great idea to check in with her and see what she had to say about reviewing that might be helpful for the rest of us as we try to start this year on YWS strong!

alliyah: Hi PKMichelle, so first I was curious if you could share how you found out about YWS, and what motivated you to join?

PKMichelle: I found out about YWS through a website that listed a bunch of writing websites for teens. I can't remember what the exact website was, but I ended up here and decided to stick around!

a:Well, we are sure glad to you decided to stick around! I cannot help but notice you have been dominating the Review Leaderboard for the last couple months - what has motivated you to stay on the top of the leaderboard and to complete Team Tortoise?

P:The only motivation to stay on top of the leaderboards is the leaderboards. I'm really competitive by nature, and I like to see how many points I can get in a single month. And as for Team Tortoise, I just decided writing reviews every day would be my way to keep writing, and it's worked so far!

a: I see! What is the hardest thing about staying in Team Tortoise?

P:The hardest thing about staying in Team Tortoise is finding the motivation to review something every day. Some days, I really don't want to... but I've been using the #24in24 group to help keep myself motivated. I would be devastated if I missed a day, so it's a great way to keep me going!

a:You've developed your own unique Review Style - what was the process for you developing this format, and why do you tend to use it?

P:There was a very long process trying to come up with my review format. However, it was mostly looking at what other reviewers' styles looked like and basing it a lot on that, as well as the S'mores template . And the reason I use it so often is because it helps me pick things out of a literary work that might actually be useful to a writer. Without it, I kinda just write a bunch of random stuff all willy-nilly.

a: It definitely helps to know what direction you're going with a review I'd agree! What advice would you offer to other users who want to become more regular reviewers but aren't sure how?

P:You really just have to commit to doing it every day. I also have a pretty regular time that I sit down and write a review, and that sort of routine can be helpful too! I also think wanting to stay on the leaderboards can be helpful as well. But it simply comes down to how much you want it, and I want it pretty bad! But writing reviews every day isn't necessary. Whenever you have time and think you can write a worthwhile review, that is the best time to do it! There's no need to pressure yourself!

a:Great advice. What has been your favorite piece to review in the last couple months?

P:This is a tough question. I love most of the stuff I review and hate to single anyone out. But if I had to pick, I've loved reading and reviewing The Forsaken Race by @RavenAkuma so far! It's been a great read, and the story just keeps getting better and better!

a:Anything else you'd like to share?

P:I guess, do whatever's right for you! There's no need to overwork yourself to be on a leaderboard if it's seriously stressing you out or causing issues. Everyone should work at their own pace, and amazing things will happen to them regardless!

Thank you for giving me this opportunity, and I hope you, and whomever reads this, has a magnificent day!

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions PKMichelle!

I think she has offered some good tips for all of us when it comes to climbing the review leaderboard and some good considerations for organizing reviews too. Thanks for reading!

Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:32 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SURVEY: WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE IN SQUILLS?
written by Liminality< PM: >

Hello Squills readers!

Welcome to 2024, and welcome also to the year’s first reader survey. This is a call for you to send us your ideas for Squills.

Is there a part of YWS that you think could use more Squills coverage? Is there an old column you’d like to see revived? A new column you’d like to see written?

PM me, @Liminality, all your suggestions. I’ll share them with the Squills staff so we can keep in mind what our readers are interested in. While we can’t guarantee your idea will take effect right away, we are always working to create the newsletter YWSers want to see.

If you don’t have an existing idea, feel free to answer the following multiple-choice questions and PM your answers to me instead:

1. Pick one.
    a) Chickens
    b) Ducks
    c) Geese

2. What writing-related topic among these would you most like to see covered in Squills? Pick three.
    a) Building a writing habit
    b) Characterisation
    c) Descriptions
    d) Plotting a story
    e) Poetic forms
    f) Interpreting stories and poetry
    g) Tips for reviewing on YWS
    h) Book and poetry recommendations
    i) Writing resource recommendations and lists
    j) Other (feel free to elaborate via PM)

3. What part of the site would you most like to get YWS news on? Pick three.
    a) The Forums
    b) The People’s Tab
    c) The Literary Center (Literary Works)
    d) The Green Room (specifically!)
    e) Art and Photography
    f) Contests
    g) Welcome Mat (aka updates on new arrivals to YWS)

Remember, you can also send an open-text answer with your suggestion for a Squills article.

If you would instead like to bring your dream articles into reality yourself, join us as a reporter by PMing @SquillsBot with your application!

Happy writing, and happy reading!

Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:34 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW YEAR, SAME SURVEY: QUIZ ACTIVITY
written by alliyah < PM: >

Back in 2017, YWS Blogs were a bit more popular - not as popular as the People Tab of course, but posts would pop up in there every now and then. One of my favorite blog activities has always been the "Year-End Survey" - which is a series of questions meant to help you take stock of what went on in the last year. I've actually been doing these surveys since 2017, so for 7 years now if my math is correct and not only is it fun to complete, but it's fun to look back on previous years when completed.

If you feel like doing the survey that I typically do, here it is under the spoiler:

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]1: What did you do in 2023 that you’d never done before?[/b]

[b]2: Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?[/b]

[b]3: Did anyone close to you give birth?[/b]

[b]4: Did anyone close to you die?[/b]

[b]5: What countries did you visit?[/b]

[b]6: What would you like to have in 2024 that you lacked in 2023?[/b]

[b]7: What dates from 2023 will remain etched upon your memory and why?[/b]

[b]8: What was your biggest achievement of the year?[/b]

[b]9: What was your biggest failure?[/b]

[b]10: Did you suffer illness or injury?[/b]

[b]11: What was the best thing you bought?[/b]

[b]12: Whose behavior merited celebration?[/b]

[b]13: Whose behavior made you appalled?[/b]

[b]14: Where did most of your money go?[/b]

[b]15: What did you get really, really, really excited about?[/b]

[b]16: What song will always remind you of 2023?[/b]

[b]17: Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) more tired or energized? (c) richer or poorer?[/b]

[b]18: What do you wish you’d done more of?[/b]

[b]19: What do you wish you’d done less of?[/b]

[b]20: How did you spend Christmas?[/b]

[b]21: Did you fall in love in 2023?[/b]

[b]22: What was your favorite TV program?[/b]

[b]23: Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?[/b]

[b]24: What was the best book you read?[/b]

[b]25: What was your greatest musical discovery?
[/b]

[b]26: What did you want and get?[/b]

[b]27: What did you want and not get?[/b]

[b]28: What was your favorite film of this year?[/b]

[b]29: What one thing made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
[/b]

[b]30: How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2023?[/b]

[b]31: What kept you sane?[/b]

[b]32: Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?[/b]

[b]33: What political issue stirred you the most?[/b]

[b]34: Who did you miss?[/b]

[b]35: Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2023.[/b]

[b]36: Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.[/b]

If you do complete the survey go ahead and post over in the YWS Blog Section if you feel like it! And while you're there don't be afraid to check out other blogger's posts too! There's a great amount of variety in what YWSers post over there and it's fun to read updates, analysis, rants, and posts that usually go a bit more long-winded than over on the People Tab. Who knows? Maybe you'll even be inspired to try out writing your own blog entry!

Happy reflecting, and happy New Year!

Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:35 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

BOOK REVIEWS
written by Isbah< PM: >

SIX OF CROWS BY LEIGH BARDUGO

Six people with different nationalities attempting one impossible heist. Will they manage to win thirty million in money? Or will they end up in prison?

Set in Grishaverse, this story will have you hanging on to every word.

Grisha are people born with the ability to manipulate nature at its most fundamental level. While this is a blessing for some, others consider it a threat to the way things 'should' be done. The Fjerdan government is dead set on killing the Grisha, calling them 'witches'. They train druskelle and set them on Ravka, the homeland of the Grisha.

But now, rumours of something far more dangerous has reached the island of Ketterdam, the center of trade and commerce. Van Eck, a prominent and rich merchant hires seventeen-years-old Kaz Brekker, a criminal mastermind and gang owner of the Dregs to breach into the Ice Court in Fjerda. The Ice Court is holding Bo Yul Bayur prisoner, a Shu scientist who has discovered Jurda Parem, a drug that enhances the ability of a Grisha multifold, allowing things that should never have been possible, all the while wearing the Grisha out, resulting in addiction and eventually death of the Grisha.

Brekker gathers the best of the best and plans the heist into the Ice Court to bring Bo Yul Bayur to Van Eck.

This is a brilliant and engaging plot, balanced out with just the right amount of romance, suspense and magic.

CROOKED KINGDOM BY LEIGH BARDUGO (Second part of Six of Crows)

no mourners, no funerals

With their faces on wanted posters plastered everywhere on the streets of Ketterdam, Kaz and his team must figure out a way to rescue Inej, their spy, from the clutches of Van Eck.

Every government in the world is after Kuwei Yul Bayur, the Shu scientist's son, who is with the Six. They must get him safely to Ravka and reclaim the treasure which belongs to them. But will all of them make it out?

The character development and personal struggles of the Six will leave you speechless.

Kaz as he faces his childhood trauma and struggles to let Inej in despite acknowledging their newfound relationship.

Wylan battling feelings of worthlessness and trying to find an identity that is different from that of his cruel father, Van Eck.

Jesper, learning to take pride in his identity as a Grisha.

Nina and Matthews as they let go of biases and find their new purpose.

Leigh Bardugo will have you falling in love with each of these characters.

Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:36 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

CLUBS SPOTLIGHT JANUARY 2024

written by Spearmint < PM: >

Hello hello, dear ywsers! As you may know, there are quite a few fun clubs on YWS. Anyone can start a club or subscribe to one, and you can update your own forum threads, discuss in other threads, or make wall posts in them. In this article, I'll highlight a few clubs. PM me if you'd like a certain club to be highlighted in the next edition of Squills!

24in24 Support Group

This club challenges you to write for 24 minutes every day in 2024. Those 24 minutes can include brainstorming, planning, writing, revising, doing written homework, roleplaying, and more! #24in24 has a lovely community of members who cheer each other on as they aim to write 24 minutes each day. (And as a bonus, there are some shiny badges you can earn for each month!)

Conlangs

Conlangs: constructed languages! If you're interested in linguistics, making up your own languages, or learning other constructed languages, why not check out the Conlangs club? Some of the current conlangs under construction are @herbalhour's bise gewi, @FluorescentAnt's Onumotupēu, @Spearmint's minapet, and @spottedpebble's N'V'ɛcɛ ďl N'N'æl'ɛ.

Stitchcraft

Do you knit? Crochet? Sew? Do any kind of craft with fiber? Then Stitchcraft may be the perfect place for you to vibe! Show off your creations, admire others' projects, share cool patterns, and discuss all things stitchcraft-related. (P.S. Guess what @AilahEvelynMae made with her colorful crocheting! )

Book Lovers Club

If you're on the Young Writers Society, chances are that you enjoy reading. ;D Why not join the Book Lovers Club? Start your own thread to talk about what you're reading, or discuss fun questions such as your favorite length of book with the rest of the club.

Feel free to check out the full list of clubs here!

Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:36 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

POETRY WINDOWS: ‘THE BEAN EATERS’ BY GWENDOLYN BROOKS
written by Liminality< PM: >

The poem we’re looking at this time is ‘The Bean Eaters’, by Gwendolyn Brooks. I’d recommend you give the poem a read via this link before browsing the rest of the article!

This poem had me changing my initial interpretation of it. I think it’s normal to have different interpretations of poetry at different times, especially if you read comments by the author or literary criticism. The change in interpretation is an interesting and enriching part of the poetic experience.

My Initial Thoughts

Initially, I thought the poem was mainly about ageing. The poem portrays an “old” couple who experience their old age as a time of monotony and melancholy reflection. In the phrase “twinklings and twinges”, the alliteration highlights the contrast of the two words, kind of like saying ‘the ups and downs’ of life. However, “twinklings and twinges” is a ‘weak’ descriptor. It doesn’t sound nearly as intense as ups or downs – as though those life events were just slight, unremarkable things. This, combined with the parallelism of “putting on their clothes/ And putting things away”, makes it seem that the couple’s experience is something fairly dull.

However, the last three lines seem to change the narrative, as the room is “full” of a variety of seemingly interesting knick-knacks. They have “dolls” and “vases”. At first, it seemed to me to imply that the couple were once wealthy enough to afford those things. In any case, I thought they had more in their store than “chipware”, “flatware” and beans.

Later Realisations

After reading the poem, I read an interview with Brooks. I found that interview via the further reading recommendations on Lit Charts. There, Brooks explained the phrase “bean eaters”, which was not just the title of this poem but also the title of a collection of her poems. She said that it referred to those “who don’t eat lobster as a rule but chiefly resort to beans”. This made me focus more on the social class aspect of the poem.

The last three lines mention that the old couple live in a “rented backroom”. Re-reading that made it click it my head that the things in the backroom likely don’t belong to the couple. Instead, they are in a way ‘sharing’ their living space with someone else’s trinkets and clutter, which makes the poem sadder rather than being an objectively observational one. Brooks seems to contrast the plain and sparse possessions of the poor tenants with the more lavish trinkets kept by whoever who owns the building.

That was an interesting experience, because I’d thought I’d read the poem quite carefully, even on my initial interpretation. However, I hadn’t thought much of the “rented backroom” phrase until a later re-reading, helped along by focusing on the theme of social class.

The Poet

The poet, Gwendolyn Brooks, was born in 1917. She was the first African American to win the Pulitzer Prize. Her poetry covered a broad range of topics, from social concerns to personal life experiences. You can read more about her on this Lift Every Voice website (a project organised by Library of America as well as partner institutions).

. . . And onto you!

What did you think of ‘The Bean Eaters’? Have you had an experience where your interpretation of a poem changed? Share your thoughts on the People’s Tab under the hashtag #PoetryWindows !

Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:37 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ICY'S READING LOG: JANUARY

written by IcyFlame< PM: >

Last year, I set myself the challenge of reading 52 books over 2023. This year, I'm back with an even more challenging task: I'm going to read 60 books in 2024 (that's more than one a week!). I thought I'd use our monthly Squills issue as a bit of accountability, but also to keep you all updated on the best (and worst) of the books I'm reading so far.

I'm not a very consistent reader, and most months my book count will depend on how many times I've commuted to work on the train. I usually manage about two thirds of a book in the two hours it takes me to get in and back from London, but some months I go five or six times, and then others not at all.

(If you're looking to read these books, please make sure to check the ratings and trigger warnings if you need to).

In January, I've taken the chance to get ahead.

Books read this month: 7
Total book count: 7/60

1. None of This Is True by Lisa Jewell: A book about two 'birthday twins', Alix and Josie who meet one night. Josie convinces Alix to interview her on her podcast, telling her she's on the cusp of making some big changes. Slowly Alix starts to realise Josie has been hiding some very dark secrets. This one got 4.5 stars for me and was so close to getting a 5. The premise was creepy and I spent the whole book knowing something was wrong but not quite knowing who is telling what lies! The ending felt a bit rushed, but the rest of the story was definitely worth the read.

2. The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave: This book is a mystery about a woman named Hannah who is trying to uncover the truth about her husband’s disappearance. The story is told from Hannah’s perspective, and we learn about her husband’s past through a series of flashbacks. I guessed the ending from pretty early on, and this book was overhyped for me, so only gets 3 stars.

3. Not a Happy Family by Shari Lapena: This book is a thriller about a wealthy family who is torn apart by greed and jealousy. The story begins with the murder of the parents, and the rest of the book is spent trying to figure out who did it. The three siblings are all suspects, and each of them has a motive for wanting their parents dead. Another one with a disappointing ending as I thought we were building to a bigger twist but still gets 4 stars.

4. Meet Me at the Lake by Carley Fortune: 3.5 stars for this one. The vibes were vibing and the characters were great but this whole book hinges on the main characters meeting for one day and then obsessing over each other for ten years. It's a no for me. I found it hard to root for the characters ending up together because it was all based on such a tiny piece of shared history. Enjoyable read, but I wouldn't read again!

5. The Ex Talk by Rachel Lynn Solomon: This book is a romantic comedy about two public radio hosts who pretend to be exes in order to host a new show about relationships. The main character, Shay, is a producer who is tired of being stuck behind the scenes. When she gets the opportunity to co-host a show with her crush, Dominic, she jumps at the chance. However, things get complicated when their fake relationship starts to feel a little too real. I went into this with such low expectations - it was literally just one I'd bought on a whim - and I think that's what made me enjoy it so much. 4 stars!

6. A Kind of Freedom by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton: This novel tells the story of three generations of a family in New Orleans. The book explores themes of race, class, and identity, and how these issues have affected the family over time. The story is told from the perspectives of three different characters, each of whom has their own unique voice and perspective. This unique method made it a bit harder to read, and harder to connect with the character but the messaging felt poignant and the writing was good. 3.5 stars.

7. The Book Lovers’ Retreat by Heidi Swain: This is where it went downhill. 2 stars. Three friends plan a trip to a place that inspired a book but one friend (who is nearly thirty I might add) is cut off by her dad and can't go. A stranger joins them so they can afford it...cue an epic romance between the stranger and our main character. The trouble is none of these characters were likeable (they also don't talk like real people), and I didn't particularly care what happened to any of them. They all seem so obsessed with this book and from the snippets of it you get through the novel it seems underwhelmingly average. There are also no stakes here, so drama is created out of practically nothing. Not the best end to my month!

So there you have it, YWS, a round up of my reads for January. Let me know if you check any of them out, and if there are any I should add to my list for next month. I look forward to updating you in February!

Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:37 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Do you like words?

More importantly, do you like language? Why not join the club conlangs , here on YWS? You can make your own language, have fun, translate shtuff... and also go in a pad... mysterious.... Anyway! Hope ya join!
-@herbalhour

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:40 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers! On behalf of the Squills Editorial Team and Writers, thank you all for reading!

Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@Shady@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen@crossroads@neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha@Rook@Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau@wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@KaiTheGreater@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia@Omni@Morrigan@AfterTheStorm@BrumalHunter@Arcticus@Wolfi@Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505@ExOmelas@SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian@TinkerTwaggy@kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake@rainforest@Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback@Que@BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity@BluesClues • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings@TheLittlePrince@TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123@Mageheart@Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim@Kazumi@inktopus@OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat@Mathy@Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor@fishsashimi@TheWeirdoFromBeyond@shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess@Starve@JosephHGeorge@Amabilia@Fantascifi66@paperforest@alliyah@Lib@Dossereana@atlast@EverLight@AlyTheBookworm@mckaylaam@JesseWrites@lillianna@IcyFlame@writingbright@RadDog13579@Euphory@LUNARGIRL@yosh@momonster@rida • @starshipgirl • @ForeverYoung299@MailicedeNamedy@RandomTalks@QueenMadrose • @Phillauthet@MC • @Zyria • @OrabellaAvenue@Rose@AmayaStatham

Do you want to join our exclusive list of Subscribers to get a notif every time that Squills posts? Just send a PM over to your friendly @SquillsBot and we'll make sure you're on the next list!

I know history. There are many names in history, but none of them are ours.
— Richard Siken