z

Young Writers Society

Squills 8/9/23

Reviews: 0
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:28 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns. And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editor-in-Chief
Shady
(they/them)

General Editor
Omni
(she/her)

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot
(beep/boop)

Literary Reporter
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporters
looseleaf
(she/her)

lliyah
(she/her)

Creativity Reporter
FruityBickel
(he/him)

Poetry Enchantress
lliyah
(she/her)

Resources Reporter

Roleplay Reporters
winterwolf0100
(he/she/they)

Shady
(they/them)

Code Master
Spearmint
(she/her)

General Reporters

Staff Chef
LadySpark
(she/her)

Ghost Reporter
IcyFlame
(she/her)

Liminality
(she/her)

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff -- we also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, you can apply to become a journalist by submitting a sample article to SquillsBot today!

Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:33 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

CLEAR THE GREEN ROOM RECAP
written by alliyah < PM: >

This Summer we've been working towards our Clear the Green Room Challenge. And on July 8th the challenge was officially completed, and the Golden Goose found! @Rook was the lucky reviewer to knock the last 3 reviews out the Green Room and caught the first sight of the Golden Goose. But all of us got to celebrate this victory at the Social Week August 1-7 being hosted by the Golden Goose and the mods.

If you've never experienced a Social Week / Social Month before, it's a week full of different hashtags, challenges, and activities to just celebrate our community together! There were many fun ways to get involved. This year as part of the Golden Goose prize we also featured three days of free-literary work posting (5 per user) - on August 4, 5, 6.

As a last little Goose-Related-Shoutout, be sure to read through the now completed Search for the Golden Goose Tagbook - I think it ends on a heart warming note and features plenty of YWS humor. I think you'll enjoy it!

Overall, I'm really impressed that we were able to complete this challenge, and I'm going to be honest, I had some doubts - I thought we did an incredible job reviewing that first week, but anticipated energy would be cut in half the next week, but instead people just continued getting to the Green Room and turning out reviews. If my calculations are correct (and they might not be!) I don't think we've had the Green Room completely clear since June 2020 though it's been a goal of the last Review Months for sure. That makes this achievement even more remarkable for us as a site! The After Watch also gave it their very best effort and were able to keep the Green Room under 15 works for a full 27 days, breaking our last record! I do hope we're able to at least keep the Green Room from ever having a situation where there's works that are 6 months old still lingering in. Hopefully the energy towards Green Room Reviewing launches us into Review Month this September!

Congratulations to everyone who participated in the Clear the Green Room Challenge.

Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:37 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW: FOXMASTER
written by looseleaf< PM: >

There are many, many places you may have seen this FM: the people's tab, in roleplays, the green room.. basically everywhere! They're super active in the randomosity tab and have taken part in several of the games there. They've written 165 reviews since January, many of which were written for the KotGR's Afterwatch, and have published numerous works with the points they've earned. Oh, and they're also super obsessed with foxes. For this edition of Squills, I had the pleasure of interviewing @foxmaster about their time as FM! Read it here:

Squills: How did you feel when you logged on and found out you were the featured member?

foxmaster: Well, when I logged on I actually had no idea I was fm. I actually learned about it when I checked out my notifications, and I was like, AWESOME! And then I bragged about it to my friends (they can change the subject pretty quickly, I learned,)

S: What do you think you did to be FM?

F: I suppose that in that time period, I had been, you know, review leaving, publishing a whole lot of stuff. So you probably have to be on here a whole lot if you wanna be fm.

S: I would agree with that! You seem to be pretty active in almost every part of YWS, but what part is your favorite (the one you spend the most time in, like the most, etc.)?

F: The area on here I am most active on is probably the books page, because 90% of what I write are novels. Buuuut my favorite is probably roleplaying, which I have just gotten into.

S: I noticed that you started a new series called "Many Perspectives" a couple of days ago! What's it about? Is it like your other works? Why should people read it?

F: So, Many Perspectives is based off thus long slideshow-book series I made which was suuuper confusing. It was like this girl and she travels between her planet and some random magical world getting attacked by a giant lizard. Many Perspectives is a slightly less weird version of that. So, like Katy is a kitsune, and she travels between these THREE worlds, and the school she is currently in is haunted. There will also be some elements from Mrs Fowell's school of Witchcraft and Mayhem in here, too.

S: That sounds awesome! Are you working on multiple things at the same time? Or are your other projects on hiatus as you work on "Many Perspectives"?

F: I'm probably going to work on all my works while this is out, too, and most likely start like 100 new ones, too. The thing is, on YWS, I have too many ideas, though.

S: That's relatable. So, what's your favorite review you've written OR have been given so far?

F: The best review I have written was probably for Strength my FlameCatcher57. I think I really helped out there to the story.

S: Do you have any advice for people who want to be FM?

F: My advice for if you want to become FM, is review a lot, write a lot, and be active on here.

If you want to congratulate foxmaster on being a Featured Member, you can do so on her wall and on their featured member thread ! You can also read the first part of Many Perspectives here .

Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:38 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

PIGPEN
written by Spearmint < PM: >

The cipher featured today is a fun one! Instead of shifting the alphabet like Caesar Cipher or replacing each character with dots and dashes like Morse Code, Pigpen replaces each character with a symbol. It's still a substitution cipher, though! (Meaning a cipher where each letter corresponds to, or is substituted by, a different letter or symbol.)

Here's the standard version of Pigpen:

The letters correspond to the symbols they are in. So, for example, 'A' would look like a backwards 'L.'

To make it a little harder for others to decode, you can use a keyword! If you did, you would start filling in the grids with your keyword, making sure not to repeat letters, then fill the rest of the spaces with the rest of the alphabet.

Try decoding this message, which has been enciphered with the standard Pigpen cipher. ;)

Spoiler! :
You should get: "Thanks for reading"!

Happy enciphering and deciphering!

Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:43 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

CONTEST WINNER FEATURE: ORABELLAAVENUE
written by alliyah < PM: >

Last month, as part of the Great Tortoise Race festivities I hosted a "Great Tortoise Literary Contest " for users to participate, with one of the prizes being a Squills feature article! A newer user to the site, @OrabellaAvenue answered the call for tortoise works and won my contest with her lovely and intriguing poem Dear Human NOT a Turtle . So I stopped by Orabella's inbox for an interview! Let's get to know one of our newest YWS members!

alliyah: Hey Orabella, congratulations on winning the Tortoise Literary Contest - I loved the poem you wrote, what was your inspiration?

Orabella: Hi alliyah! Thank you so much for choosing my poem! In my opinion, @alpacaboss's The Tortoise should've won. To those of you reading this on Squills, please go check it out! It's seriously so good! My inspiration... inspiration... hmm... Well, to be honest, I'm not quite sure? I don't exactly remember what was going on in my head at the time. I might've been thinking about a poem I had read weeks before about a dog talking to its human. (It's by Gail Carson Levine in her book Writer to Writer) Or maybe it was just from the prompt of the contest: write about a tortoise.

a: Sounds like some fabulous inspo, speaking of writing, what's your favorite thing to write and do you have a current writing project you could tell us a little about?

O:I don't know if I necessarily have a favorite thing to write about. My likes often change, and so does my writing. At the moment, I'm really into realistic and historical fiction, but fantasy used to be my main. My current writing project is a novel based on a short story I wrote called "Shadow of the Orange Tree", which I'm basically trying to expand on. So far, though, I hardly know anything about what I'm going to do. I don't even know what character/s I'll be following... so...

a: Oh! Good luck with that project! You're a newer user to YWS - how did you find the site?

O: My story isn't very exciting. I've always liked writing, and before YWS I was on Night Zookeeper, which is another writing site for ages 5 to 12. Eventually though, I was more than 12, and it felt wrong to stay there for much longer. So I did searched Google for writing websites, or something of the like, and I stumbled on YWS. I actually discovered it long before I joined, but it took me forever to actually set up an account.

a: Well we're glad you found this place! What have you enjoyed most about the site so far?

O: The people. Hands down, the people. Everyone I met was super kind and encouraging, and it just sorta felt like I belonged. Here were people that liked to write, that liked to read, that actually cared about what I and others had to say. It was not a chore to them; they were on YWS because they enjoyed it. And I felt safe posting my work here because there would be people that would read and care about it, even if it was horribly written.

a: What's on your writing-bucket-list or what are your writing goals?

O: I want to finish a story. Not like a short, less than 1,000 word story. More like a novel. I never get more than a few chapters in any story I've tried, so this is a bit ambitious for me. But that's why it's on my bucket list. I'd also like to compete in NaNoWriMo, even if I don't get far. It just seems so fun.

a: You'll love NaNo on YWS! YWS hosts so many fun events throughout the year! June might have been all about the tortoises, but July has been about the goose! So speaking of gooses... what's your favorite type of bird?

O: I've always been torn between owls and hummingbirds. Do I really have to decide? Owls are quick, silent hunters, and I think it's silly and sweet how they're always considered wise, old birds in media. Hummingbirds are fast and love flowers, and their colors are often beautiful. I might choose hummingbirds just because I feel sorry for the creatures that owls eat, but I love both.

a: Good answers, good answers. And as we wrap this up anything else you'd like to share - life motto / advice / favorite quote?

O:In my life, my number one writing mistake was that I hardly ever wrote. I thought I wouldn't be able to write it, or it wouldn't be good, or it was a stupid idea. Maybe I even wanted to write it, but it seemed too cliché or it had been done before. This is one of the worst things a writer could do. Yes, sometimes it's nice to review each sentence and make them better, but almost never in a rough draft. Rough drafts are for spilling your ideas onto the page, not to create a bestselling masterpiece. You need to sketch before you paint (or draw or write). My advice? Write as much as you want. Write as much as you can. And never stop writing unless it truly and honestly isn't what you want, and not just because of frustration or writer's block. That's why I end almost every review with "Keep writing!"

Thanks so much Orabella for sharing more about yourself, your writing, and your advice! We're happy to have you as part of YWS and hope to hear from you again soon!

Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:45 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SOCIAL WEEK RECAP!

written by IcyFlame< PM: >

After clearing the dreaded Green Room , YWSers from around the world came together to celebrate in the best way we know how – a week long social event!

Social Week ran from the 1st to the 7th of August, and it was full of exciting activities and tags for everyone to take part in.

At the start of the week, we kicked off with some colouring pages from @Spearmint who shared some wonderful doodles with us and gave us the chance to colour them in! We also had a wordsearch, with some YWS themed words. The Egg featured prominently, but #classified was mysteriously omitted… a conspiracy perhaps?

Then we had three full days of free literary work posting! Posting a work usually costs 200 points, so this was an opportunity not to be missed. Eight users took advantage of this limited time offer, and suddenly the Green Room was starting to fill back up. All in time for Review Month later this year.

@Spearmint and @alliyah also shared some hashtags for us to participate in, tagging users for shoutouts, interviewing one another and a truth or dare activity were included amongst others. YWSers took to the people’s tab to share their responses and if you’re looking for some wholesome content, I can highly recommend scrolling through the shoutout tag.

Don't forget you can still participate in all of the week's activities today if you haven't had a chance yet! You can find all the activities listed in the Social Week thread.

Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:45 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

No Shameless Plugs this week :(

Please send us yours!

Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:46 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@Shady@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen@crossroads@neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha@Rook@Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau@wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@KaiTheGreater@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia@Omni@Morrigan@AfterTheStorm@BrumalHunter@Arcticus@Wolfi@Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505@ExOmelas@SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian@TinkerTwaggy@kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake@rainforest@Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback@Que@BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity@BluesClues • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings@TheLittlePrince@TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123@Mageheart@Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim@Kazumi@inktopus@OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat@Mathy@Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor@fishsashimi@TheWeirdoFromBeyond@shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess@Starve@JosephHGeorge@Amabilia@Fantascifi66@paperforest@alliyah@Lib@Dossereana@atlast@EverLight@AlyTheBookworm@mckaylaam@JesseWrites@lillianna@IcyFlame@writingbright@RadDog13579@Euphory@LUNARGIRL@yosh@momonster@rida • @starshipgirl • @ForeverYoung299@MailicedeNamedy@RandomTalks@QueenMadrose • @Phillauthet@MC • @Zyria • @OrabellaAvenue

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal biweekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let them know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Some twenty years from now, users will ask a similar question about world famous Chicken poetry and Google will tell them about alliyah.
— Hkumar