12+

Endless Descent [Part6]

by Tenyo

Day Eight: The Patchwork House

Luci:

'I'll heading off in the afternoon, probably before you get back from school. Big fancy wedding in Rigon. Lunch, dinner and breakfast, the whole jobby, I'll have a team of eight and my own kitchen! It's a good few miles so I'll be gone for three days, can I trust you two to get along?'

'No,' I said. He glared at me. 'What? Honesty is a virtue, Uncle.'

'Behave,' he warned us. 'Mele, remember what I taught you? Grab it as close as you can to the earth, then pull.'

She clasped her fingers around the stem and leaves and slowly pulled it out of the ground. She was getting the hang of gardening, slowly. I imagined that there were no gardens in cities, only tiny, wilting flowers sitting on windowsills. She no longer flinched when her fingers got scratched by the thorns, and it wouldn't be long until she built up a few callouses. Until then she'd have to deal with it.

'You and Valeo are looking close,' I said once Uncle was out of earshot. 'He hangs around more now that you're here. Three years isn't too much of an age difference. It could work.'

'There's no point to that stuff.'

'You mean boyfriends? Does that mean you've never even kissed a boy?'

'Never.'

'Do you want to?'

She flinched and stared at me. I looked. I glanced at her lips. Only once. I wasn't thinking about it. You know, when someone says 'don't look behind you' and you just have to look, or that button you're not supposed to push, and you have to do it. The door you're not supposed to open that you just have to peer through. The flame that you know will burn but you just have to touch it anyway.

The forbidden fruits you have to taste, even when it's for our own good.

Okay. Maybe it crossed my mind for a second. I could blame the male condition- I was fourteen and hurtling through puberty and there are things that crossed my mind during those times that I was completely oblivious to just a few years before. I could, but I won't.

In this instance I blame that dark fascination we hold with things that we're not supposed to have. To love things that we're not allowed to love.

Philosophy aside, we had stopped working and now and stared at each other, and I did think about it. Just for a second. Trust my childishness that I couldn't hold a straight face for long after that. I smirked.

That was the first time she ever took a swipe at me- a punch, straight to the gut.

I curled forwards and reached for a weed, trying to do the manly thing and pretend it didn't hurt when her knuckles had caught me right between the ribs.

She sat up straight again, drew a deep breath and stared dead ahead, in that way she always did when her thoughts were spinning. It usually accompanied that flat tone in her voice that was never quite a question but never quite a statement.

'You've seen it, haven't you?' She asked.

'See what?'

'Valeo.'

Valeo. There could have been a thousand things she meant then. Did you see his shoe laces where knotted strange? Did you see him walk into that lamp post and pretend it didn't happen? Did you see him whistling to birds? Of course that's not what she meant.

'He guards himself well, but every once in a while he slips up.'

Sometimes during the summer the older kids would persuade Busman to take us down to the river on days off, where we'd escape the heat by diving in beneath the icy water.

Valeo always wore a tee-shirt when he went swimming, and he'd always retreat to the shade of the trees and bushes while he dried off and changed into a clean shirt. I thought it made sense, because if we stood too close to the river then just when we had dried off someone come and push us back in again.

One day I'd climbed up into the branches to get some peace when he came to sit beneath. When he leant forward to peel off the damp shirt I saw the ripples and lines, like fissures in his skin.

'How do you get scars like that?' She asked.

'I don't know. We all have our secrets. Right?'

'Right.'

'Some people just have bigger secrets than others.'

I hated the atmosphere. For some reason it felt gloomy even though the sun was shining. 'So, what are you reading these days?'

'Duka Pala. He's a love poet, you won't have heard of him.'

'Duka Pala... We five break dawn all in time, but by night all but two are left behind.'

'Show off.'

'Which one are you reading?'

'I can't remember what it's called. It's in my schoolbag.'

I stood up to go in search of it while she yelled from the garden. 'Where are you going? Don't you dare get muddy fingers on my stuff!'

I rummaged through her bag. Work books. Poetry- not that one. I'd never admit to her that the space she used to curl up in the library was the same place I used to hide myself years ago, or that the reason I could recite some of them was because I'd sat pondering the same ones over and over. Perhaps we'd finally found something we could share.

A notebook. A diary? No. Just random doodles, paper folded in the back, some scribbled out notes...

A pulse of hot blood ran through me before I had even realised what the word was. Greenwood, in hurried, swirling letters.

I opened the pages at the back; print-outs of various newspapers.

Ale Greenwood. Twelve year old dead, the local newspapers said. The ones printed in other regions weren't so reserved. Nobody had even heard of our little town until that day.

She'd even made notes on it.

Louten Road- near Bakers Hill. Twelve year old classmate last to see her alive- took in for questioning. Suspicion dropped because of age. Road covered in blood, body torn up, only pieces found. Local police send word to other towns, watch out for suspicious travellers. Killer never arrested.

June 8 '13 / Aug 6 '25 = 12 years 10 months

She had asked my birthday when we were on our way home from school. I thought it was just a random question. How could I be so naïve?

Why was it that every time we started to get along she had to go and do something stupid like this!

I turned on the stove and held the edges of the paper in the crimson flame until the paper burst and smoked, then dropped it into the soot bucket, as Uncle called it. Mele came running in and stared, wide-eyed, at the burning papers.

'What the hell are you doing?'

'Me? Why are you even looking that stuff up? You're so messed up.'

'Put it out! Everybody whispers and tells ghost stories, there's even a memorial. Of course I'm going to look it up. Now stop being such an idiot and put it out!'

'You can't leave anything alone, can you?'

I stamped as hard as I could the whole way up the stairs and closed my door over, left ajar just enough so that I could smell the burning pages and hear Uncle come in and turn on the tap. When I heard his footsteps coming up the stairs and towards my room I locked it tight and closed my eyes.

Why couldn't she just leave it alone?

Sat May 31, 2014 6:39 am
Iggy wrote a review...

I am here and I'm sorry it's taken me so long >_<

Perhaps it's been too long since I read this, but the ending confused me, where Luci gets mad because she has some articles on a kid that died. What? Refresh my memory for me? What's the problem? xD

One big thing I noticed was your dialogue, which would read smoother if you cleaned it up. Read this and see if it helps. :)

Moving along, I love that you included Luci's age in this. And seeing stuff from his point of view is so odd. I'm used to Mele and her hatred for Luci and her somewhat likeness for Lan. But on the other hand, Luci's point of view is a nice change of pace. I like that he's such a boy. Wondering what it'd be like to kiss her. Such a boy. T_T and Mele punching him was funny. Shows me that she was getting serious about it and then he smirked, which made her mad.

These two have got the oddest relationship. They can't stand each other, yet they talk and converse and have a lot in common and if he has the balls to go through her stuff and she doesn't immediately get up and go after him, then that shows me that they must have some affection for each other. A love-hate relationship, apparently. Ah, those are the best, aren't they?

The comment about Valeo's skin was curious as well. I'm a bit disappointed with the reaction Luci had to remembering that. Does that not freak you out? Well, Mele didn't give much of a reaction to Valeo's eyes, either. Which is, again, disappointing. You'd think they'd be freaking out and scared and wary of him. I suggest you take a look at that, because it's a bit odd. Any other person would be.. well, something other than their calm.

I hope the next chapter explains the burning of the news article further, because I am still so confused xD it's been too long since I read your works, Ten. Nag me more often!

Off to read the next chapter.

~Iggy

ExOmelas wrote a review...

"'You and Valeo are looking close,' I said once Uncle was out of earshot. 'He hangs around more now that you're here." - comma not full stop before second speech because you have only described the character's speech.

"we had stopped working and now and stared at each other" - take out one of the ands. It really doesn't matter which one.

"'See what?'" - seen not see

"Did you see his shoe laces where knotted strange?" - were not where

"just when we had dried off someone come and push us back in again." either 'someone would come and' or 'someone came and pushed us'.

"'How do you get scars like that?' She asked." - no capital letter needed at the She

"yelled from the garden. 'Where are you going?" - comma not full stop.

"took in for questioning." - taken not took.

Okay, that's all the nit-picks. On to plot stuff. I'm very intrigued by the character and the setting. There is a whiff of plot beginning to form and I really enjoy when the plot is developed gradually rather than dumped all at once. I think the protagonist is very honestly portrayed and I'm very worried about Valeo.
I got a little confused about what was going on when. I'm not sure who it was that was reading the poetry or when the flashback to Valeo trying to change his shirt ended.

Other than that, Well done! :)

SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hello Ten, Wolf here for a review.

So I'll look at some people's work and be like, "Oh that's cool." Then I stumbled upon works like yours and then say, "How is it humanly possible that people in this world can write this amazingly?" This is beautiful, and I love your characters. It's seems so easy to relate to them.

Though, I would like to know exactly where they are. By that I mean, what are their surrounds like? So they're outside in a garden. You briefly mention that they're pulling weeds (or so I think), but what does it look like? Is everything so humid and they're dying of sweat? Is it so freezing that their thumbs are loosing feeling? Are there birds around? Can they see a fat squirrel lazily hopping aross the lawn?

Now this is the only chapter of yours that I've read, and I must applaud you, because for the most part I understood what was going on. There were bits and pieces that I stopped and reread (even then not able to understand it), such as when Valeo is mentioned.

Also, why is Luci looking through the other girl's stuff? (Mele is it?) It might seem like he's looking for that poem book, but he doesn't even come across it. Anyway, I still thought it was very nice, and I especially loved the flow of everything. I definitely need to go and read the rest of the chapters! Can't wait to see more, Keep Writing,
~Wolfare

Ventomology says...

I was going to leave a review, and then I read that anaconda down there and realized Pies had picked out practically everything. Soo... good job mostly.

PiesAreSquared wrote a review...

Noms Tenyo! I am here! At last! One thing. Losty hasn’t told me I can review her work, she said to hold till she says not to hold, so I’m waiting on her for over a week! I’m going to be the master nitpicker here. Watch out for petty reviewing!

I believe the what here is like a what of disbelief and sarcasm mix and not "he" aka LAN talking. Make the middle tag a single sentence and use a preposition after said to keep Luci the "owner" of the sentence.

Is he giving advice here for when he goes off or is it to be used right now? You have to add an action. What does Luci see just when/before Lan says that to Mele? Does he turn to her, shake his fist, his head? What?

Wait. Uncle just left? Where are thy? Standing in the garden right? Describe his feel of the lawn. How his soles tickle in the grass? The hot cobblestones? Maybe a nail stuck somewhere just to give Luci pain?

It is said that a picture says a thousand words.

Random paragraph break appears! Awesome! Love random stuff! You have to taste forbidden fruit "even" when it's for your own good? Some forbidden fruit!
Philosophy aside, we had stopped working and now and stared at each other, and I did think about it.

And I thought, aren't there too many ands in this nest?

What? No surprise on his part? He didn't even startle? Has his reaction time become as bad as the director of 300? Or Mele wickedly fast? Even for a sucker punch, he should react in some way. He almost certainly wouldn't avoid the blow, but will notice before the blow hits, and start moving away, or if he's trained, to block.

She? Sat up? I can't believe she was lying down when she threw that sucker punch. Is Luci a dwarf? Or a super short guy who happens to be a jerk? Or a jerk who happens to be a super short guy? There is endless decent possibilities here!
Valeo. There could have been a thousand things she meant then. Did you see his shoe laces where knotted strange?

Where? I don't know! On his shoes, most likely.

This line comes well from either of them. Let's just take it that they said it both at once?

Was Mele sitting by Luci? I think so, but why would Luci and Mele sit together in a tree?

Then again nope. Does sound like Luci morphed into Mele for awhile. Also is this a memory or the "present" of the story? From the tone above, I take it this is an older Luci wriing about his younger self reminiscing about an even older memory. You need a "had" there to emphasize the doneness of the memory.

Not only a shapeshifter but a time traveler too! This must be a time lord! I thought he was talking to Valeo on the tree? I found a perfect gif, but I can't find the perfect place to put it in this review, yet.
I rummaged through her bag.

I take it they are back in the garden. Not at the swimming hole. Why would Mele allow him to rummage through her bag? She's the kind to offer resistance?

They had the conversation in the garden for a full three days waiting for uncle to come back. Awesome! Now I feel like Image

As usual, your dialogue is just mindbogglingly good. You have great characterizations in it!

Keep it up!

i am neither a loose leaf nor do i like loose leafs. really, i am a piece of wide-ruled looseleaf paper
— looseleaf