z

Young Writers Society

Squills 12/27/23

Reviews: 0
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:34 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns. And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editorial Team
alliyah
(she/her)

IcyFlame
(she/her)

Liminality
(she/her)

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot
(beep/boop)

Literary Reporter
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporters
looseleaf
(she/her)

alliyah
(she/her)

Creativity Reporter
FruityBickel
(he/him)

Poetry Enchantress
alliyah
(she/her)

Resources Reporter

Roleplay Reporters
winterwolf0100
(he/she/they)

Shady
(they/them)

Code Master
Spearmint
(she/her)

General Reporters

Staff Chef
LadySpark
(she/her)

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff -- we also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, you can apply to become a journalist by submitting a sample article to SquillsBot today!

Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:38 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

A LETTER FROM THE EDITORS

written by SquillsBot< PM: >

Hello dear readers! Squills has been on hiatus for a little bit here, and we are ready to fully launch again! And by "we" we mean Liminality, IcyFlame, and alliyah - who are your new co-editors, who will be taking the reins collectively as Co-Editors in Chief going forward. Together, we'd like to thank @Shady for holding the EoC spot while Squills was in interim and would encourage our readers to like and share our upcoming issues as we get started again to encourage our hard-working writers.

If you would like to join our reporter team, we have space, just apply by PM-ing Squillsbot or one of the new editors for details. We always love to welcome new writers to the team. And to introduce us a little bit, we'll be answering a few questions from @SquillsBot.

Squillsbot:How long have you been involved in Squills?

alliyah: I joined the Squills team in March 2018, first just as a guest reporter covering NaPo and then got hooked! I have written over 150 articles since then, it's been a lot of fun!

Liminality: I became a Squills columnist in late 2021, so that would make it about 2 years now!

IcyFlame: I've been writing for Squills for just over three years, reporting on just about everything from NaNo to new members. I've loved it all!

Squillsbot: What's your favorite article you've written for Squills?

alliyah: Oh! Hard to choose! I'll share two of my favorites: the first is my You didn't hear it from me from 2022 which was a YWS gossip column I was dreaming up for a while and might bring back at some point, and then the other would be my This Month in History; Birthday Month Edition article. That's always been one of my favorite columns to do, and the YWS-Birthday one was extra special!

Liminality: Hmm, I'd say it's either my article on reviews versus literary comments or the one on the origins of the modern haiku. The latter of those was actually the first poetry history column I had drafted for Squills, although it did not end up being the first one I published. It's on a cool topic I often wish I had more time to delve into (even after all the research I did for that article).

IcyFlame: I love sharing book recommendations, so any of those have been my favourite to write. I loved doing the reading for my Cosy Autumn Reads recently, and researching for Festive Reads was great fun too.

Squillsbot: Anything you're excited about implementing now that you are part of the co-editor team?

alliyah: I always love themed editions, so I'm hoping we are able to bring back some of those! I also am just excited to see what creativity and ideas our reporter team has too!

Liminality:I'm hoping to get more YWSers interested in contributing to Squills! Running reader surveys might also be a neat idea at some point.

IcyFlame: I'd love to get more guest articles from users who aren't full members of Squills staff. Sometimes you just want to submit an article or two without committment and that's great too.

Squillsbot: How is this going to work having three editors versus one?

alliyah: Great question! At different times Squills has had different numbers of editors dividing the responsibilities betweeen the bunch and that is what the three of us plan to do too. The most important job of course is making sure that Squillsbot is well taken care of!

Liminality:It's kind of like assembling Legos. One of us makes the base, then another person puts a layer on the base, and then the third person completes the building.

IcyFlame: We must engage in gladitorial combat if we disagree, and the victor gets their way.

We're all thrilled to take up the mantle for Squills, and can't wait to share all the plans we have going forward. If reading this has made you excited for the next era of Squills, please do message SquillsBot to get involved!

Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:40 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW: KAIAJERSAGA
written by Liminality< PM: >

You’ll know this FM for their activity and community presence this past year. @KaiaJersaga is a wonderful YWSer who frequents WFPs. They were our FM in September 2023. Recently, I had the chance to chat with them about becoming FM and about writing.

Squills: Hi there! I'm Lim, reporting for Squills - the YWS newsletter. Squills does a column where we interview Featured Members about becoming FM, their time on YWS and about writing. Would it be okay if I asked you a few questions?

KaiaJersaga: Sure! Ask away :)

S: Awesome! What was your reaction when you first found out you were FM?

K: I think my first reaction was probably a shocked smile when I saw people congratulating me on becoming FM. It was an honor I was not expecting at that moment for sure!

S: On reflection, is there something that you think earned you FM?

K: Hmmm. I think it was probably because I am a rather active member and back before the time that I started college I was heavily involved in a lot of YWS events.

S: You definitely have a great presence on the site! What areas of YWS do you enjoy participating in these days?

K: Due to college, I cannot commit to events like I used to. But I enjoy hanging out in WFPs and encouraging people.

S: WFPs are definitely fun places to be! Could you share a bit about what inspires you to write or what kinds of things you like to read?

K: Sure! So for my characters, the inspiration is often based on parts of myself. I'm naturally quite introspective and am aware of my different moods. Because of the complexity of how my brain works my personality alone has inspired three characters in my latest novel. Other characters may be based on other people I know or may just have been created for plot purposes.

As for setting and plot, the multiple trips I have taken with my family have inspired me in various ways. Additionally, I would say internet searches, and daydreaming have been helpful to spark inspiration.
My favorite genre to read is definitely dark realism, as that's my personal favorite to write.

S: That's super interesting! Finally, what advice would you like to give to your fellow YWSers?

K: Honestly, my greatest piece of advice is to just keep writing and not give up. I hold to my theory that the best of writers are not the ones everyone has heard of, but the ones no one has heard of. Just because you have never seen your works published or fanned over or given tons of likes doesn't mean that they don't deserve them. The only way you will get better at writing is through writing and accepting advice.

This piece of advice is a RULE: Don't compare thyself to thy neighbor. You are a unique individual. Your story is unique so don't worry about what your friend says or how your writing compares to your favorite novelist. You are where you are and that's fine. You don't need to be a great author to still be really, really good. Don't raise your standards to unreasonable heights. Just take it where you are and one day you will be wonderful at writing! I promise.

Also handy tip for novelists: if you are about to make a major change to your book and aren't 100 percent sure you will like it, first make a copy of your work as it is before making the change. That way you will have both editions in case you need to go back.

Also, don't be afraid to rewrite. People look up to me as having worked on my current novel for three years straight, but that's only because I did not accept first draft writing. What you read from me is fourth, sixth, tenth, and twentieth editions of the same scene, and I'm not even close to finishing. So, DO NOT BE AFRAID to have to write a new draft or edit something. Change can be freshening and good, and remember you can always save a copy of your work as it is before revising so that you can compare both versions and choose which one you like better.

And I think those are probably my top pieces of advice. Hope someone finds them helpful!

S: Those are some amazing tips - thanks for sharing! The one about saving different copies of your work so you can always revert a change sounds super helpful, and the advice to just keep writing is so true.

Thanks so much for doing this interview, and congrats again on becoming FM!

K: Thank you so much!

If you haven’t done so already, join us in congratulating KaiaJersaga on their FM thread or on their wall!

Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:43 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW YEAR, NEW ME: SETTING REALISTIC WRITING GOALS FOR THE NEW YEAR
written by alliyah < PM: >

Well, it's 2024 (well almost 2024, depending on when this article gets posted) and you know what that means! New Year's Resolutions and a fresh start of goals! I am big into New Year's Resolutions, sometimes I achieve them, sometimes I miserably fail, but at least I always know what direction I'm heading - and as writers, it's good to have some resolutions to direct your writing journey too! So here's some tips for writing... realistic, helpful, energizing goals for your writing for 2024!

Realistic - My first tip, make sure your goals are realistic. Sorry Bob, but you are not going to be able to complete writing an entire novel series, bump to the top of the Review Leader Board, and also publish your 100 poem manuscript in Latin. A realistic goal can be a stretch but it still is in the realm of possibilities given your life situation. That being said, don't be afraid to dream big!

Example of realistic goals: Writing one poem a week and submitting 24 poems out to publication contests.
Example of some typically unrealistic goals: Write five poems every day, lead the poetry leader board every single month, edit an publish a new poetry book every quarter and become the US Poet Laureat for 2025.

Helpful - In addition to being realistic, at least some of your goals should be demonstrably achievable or concrete in some way or else, how do you know if you're achieving them. I always struggle with this for my New Year's Resolutions, because I want to be ambitious and philosophical ~ but usually the goals that are measurable are the most helpful in the long-run. They don't all have to be that way, no matter what productivity experts say, but at least some of your goals probably ought to include numbers or something that will let you know you've achieved them.

Example of a helpful goals: Try a new poetry form, post 10 poems on YWS during the year, complete Team Tortoise at least once, share a poem with a friend, read 3 new poetry books, read a few articles about poetic flow and then practice what I learn.
Example of some okay but unmeasurable goals: fall in love with line-breaks, become a review legend, write regularly, become courageous with seasonal imagery, go in depth with learning about reviews.

You also might consider breaking some of your goals into more manageable bites. Rather than putting "Complete Novel in a Year" - what about breaking that into chapters you'd like to complete per month, or stages of writing per month or week. Sometimes that sort of break down will give you a better chance of gauging where you are going.

Energizing - Good goals should be... exciting! Don't be afraid to add a few silly goals in there or some light ones that you know you can achieve. The first item on a to-do list is always the hardest one to do, because of the pain of "just getting started" so add a light one to the top. Look for opportunities that excite you and make you smile and throw them in there!

You will know what goals excite and challenge you, which ones you find as fun or compelling, which contests or challenges you'd love to reach for!

Other Resources

- Need a few other ideas about Goal Setting, here's some good resources on YWS you can check out!

BluesClues - yes I am listing an entire person as a resource, they are also an amazing human. But do you know that @BluesClues has several poems, short-stories, and a novel published, and that she answers questions about her writing and publishing process over in her Blue's Crew's Club? Check out her posts and especially this post about the revision process which is full of good tips and ideas for actually doing the work of revising. Do not be afraid to reach out to some of the talented authors of YWS for advice, even advice on setting goals! Check out their process and develop it to work for you! Don't be afraid to reach out to your other YWS Moderators too - there's a lot of wisdom and experience on staff, if there is someone whose writing or process inspires you, why not ask them for some tips?

Inspo For NaPo - This resource was created by the poetry crew of 2018 and still has some great insights for goal setting, theme picking, and some of the concrete aspects of poetry writing that are good for NaPo but also good for the writing process in general. Check out what @/Aley has to say about setting goals and @/Brigadier's post on creating challenges for yourself.

New Year's Resolution Thread - Another resource available to you, is just to shout your goals into the New Year's Resolution Thread , so you have somewhere to look back and reference them, and also the pressure of extra eyes to keep you accountable. Check back into the thread and let us know how it's going if you like, or share updates on the People Tab - we're a society after all, and it's one of the best benefits of writing together is we can help encourage each other in our goals and successes!

Have a wonderful year of writing, YWS! I am rooting for you!

Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:45 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

DECEMBER HOLIDAY THREADS 2023

written by Spearmint < PM: >

Every December, our beloved site dons its holiday attire and a special forum pops up with various holiday events. This year, we had a wonderful selection, including the classic yearbook thread and gift exchanges, as well as some new things, like the YWS Family Picture! Now, let's take a quick stroll through the Holiday Forum.

Secret Santa 2023
@IcyFlame and @OrabellaAvenue co-ran Secret Santa this year. Participants signed up and posted some of their preferences, then were each assigned one other person to make gifts for. If you signed up, make sure to PM your gift to one of the event hosts by January 6th!

Worst Gift Ever Exchange (2023)
@alliyah brought back the Worst Gift Ever Exchange for another year of exchanging hilariously bad gifts! If you signed up, make sure to PM her the gift you made for your assigned ywser by January 4th.

A Big YWS Family Picture to Remember 2023!
@AmayaStatham headed this one: she encouraged ywsers to submit their profile pictures and combined them all into a beautiful family picture. Look at the festive tree and ornaments!

Draw Me a Holiday Avatar 2023
For the third year running, @Spearmint opened up her holiday avatar workshop for custom orders! You may see some of her avvies in the family picture above, or around the site. (Psst... it's not too late to order an avvie!)

The YWS Express
@Spearmint, @LuminescentAnt, and @AmayaStatham started off the Holiday Tagbook this year. Ywsers met a strange chicken-batfish-elf creature named Holl Lee Joll Lee and boarded the YWS Express, then set off to experience whimsical adventures!

Winter-Themed Poetry Workshop
@DreamyAlice and @alliyah co-hosted this workshop, featuring snowman text art, winter-themed prompts, and lots of poetry!

YWS Yearbook 2023
@looseleaf continued this YWS tradition, which has been running since 2007! Make sure to grab your spot or fill it in if you haven't already. Take a look at your year on YWS in review, celebrate accomplishments, shout out cool people, and more.

2023 YWS Best and Most Awards
The Best and Most Awards were also run by @looseleaf this year. The categories range from "Best Poet" to "Most likely to accidentally step into an alternate universe." Get your nominations in by January 1st!

New Year's Resolutions: 2024 Edition
@creaturefeature kicked this goal-setting thread off! Post your New Year's resolutions here to keep yourself accountable.

Feel free to check out these threads and participate in the ones that are still open. If you missed the deadlines for any, no worries-- many of these will be back, so if you missed them, set a reminder to look out for them next year! Happy Holidays and here's to a great 2024!

Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:47 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

MY FAVOURITE READS OF 2023

written by IcyFlame< PM: >

This year, I set myself the slightly lofty challenge of reading 52 books over the course of 2023. I'm pleased to say that I've just finished the books, and as the year draws to a close, reflecting on the literary adventures that have unfolded over the past twelve months brings me a sense of fulfillment and joy. So I thought I would share my favourites with you!

In 2023, I delved into the world of words with great enthusiasm, exploring a diverse range of genres and immersing myself in the narratives crafted by talented authors. Among the 52 books that graced my reading list, I've read fantasy, contemporary fiction, crime, thriller, mystery and more. Here are five that I've loved.

(A side note: please check the rating of the book if you choose to read it. I'm a full adult human, but if you aren't, or if certain topics trigger you, please make sure to check out the rating before reading!)

Keeper of Enchanted Rooms by Charlie N. Holmberg:
Charlie N. Holmberg's "Keeper of Enchanted Rooms" takes readers on a magical journey, weaving a tapestry of enchantment and wonder. The novel combines elements of fantasy and mystery, creating a world where imagination knows no bounds. A magic house, and a seemingly vindictive ghost? This is a cosy fantasy perfect for winter. Possibly my favourite of the whole year.

The No-Show by Beth O'Leary:
Beth O'Leary, known for her heartwarming and relatable storytelling, delivered yet another gem with "The No-Show." This contemporary fiction novel explores the intricacies of relationships and the importance of communication. Three perspectives and a twist I didn't see coming (which is saying something!)

Mad Honey by Jodi Picoult:
Jodi Picoult, a master of tackling complex and relevant issues, presents "Mad Honey," a thought-provoking exploration of the human condition. This gripping novel delves into the moral and ethical dilemmas surrounding a controversial topic, challenging readers to confront their beliefs and question societal norms. This is quite a heavy one but as well written as it is heart breaking.

Carrie Soto is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid:
Taylor Jenkins Reid is no stranger to creating characters that resonate with readers, and "Carrie Soto is Back" is no exception. This contemporary novel follows the journey of a compelling protagonist, offering a nuanced exploration of identity, resilience, and the pursuit of happiness. Reid's writing is both poignant and empowering, making "Carrie Soto is Back" a standout addition to my 2023 reading list.

The Island of Missing Trees by Elif Shafak:
Elif Shafak's "The Island of Missing Trees" is a literary masterpiece that transcends time and borders. The novel weaves together a rich tapestry of history, love, and loss, set against the backdrop of an enchanting island. Shafak's prose is poetic, and her storytelling is immersive, making this novel an unforgettable exploration of the human experience. This was a different one to what I would usually choose, but it was a beautiful read.

As I bid farewell to the literary adventures of 2023, these five books will definitely hold a special place in my heart. Each one has left a lasting impression, reminding me of the power of storytelling to inspire, provoke thought, and transport readers to worlds both familiar and fantastical. Here's to another year of discovering new literary treasures - can I manage more than 52 in 2024?

Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:49 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW: ROSE

This FM is well-known for their positive presence in the community – and for being one of the winners during this year’s Review Month! @Rose joined us in January 2023. On October 6th this year, they were selected as Featured Member. We interviewed Rose about becoming FM and about what inspires them to write.

Squills: Hi Rose! I'm reporting for Squills - the YWS newsletter. Squills does a column where we interview Featured Members. Would it be alright if I asked you a few questions?

Rose: Aloha!

But of course, I'd love to answer them! I'm looking forward to it!

S: Great! My first question is: what was your reaction when you found out you were FM?

R: Well, it was a while back, but I distinctly remember opening the site and seeing the New Featured Member post staring back at me like I had just won the lottery.

I must've looked like a statue for a good five seconds, I was just so surprised!

S: That must have been quite a memorable moment! Is there something that you think earned you FM at that time?

R: Oh, you've hit me with a thought-provoking question there! To be honest, I'm still trying to crack the code on that one.

But I can say that that token of appreciation made me feel extremely grateful and it definitely gave me a boost of motivation to do better.

S: It's great to hear that it has been motivating :D Speaking of motivation, could you tell us a bit about what inspires you to write?

R: A lot of things, really, but mostly it's just a book. There's just something magical about getting lost in a story, experiencing its twists and turns. And that same feeling keeps me company when I write.

When I start reading something fascinating, I can't put it down, and I wish it were the same when it comes to finishing a story. I love writing novels, but they take time, so I usually turn to filling in my plot holes or experimenting with different scenes and titles. I'm currently putting together a plot for a thriller titled "Can You Keep A Secret?" and I'm gathering ideas for a short story.

S: Books really are magical! Would you like to share briefly what your basic idea or premise is for "Can You Keep A Secret"? Is there something about that story that you're particularly excited to work on?

R: Sooo, since I'm still cooking up the plot for my thriller, I can't spill all the beans yet. However, a teeny tiny spoiler here: the idea for the book emerged at this year's Halloween, and I'm not talking about the usual haunted house, but something completely different. Think childhood friends, a terrible incident, and a reunion full of secrets.

S: Oh that sounds fascinating! Finally, what advice would you like to give to your fellow YWSers?

R: Well, I'd say, cherish the tales that you read because they inspire, enrich and offer a wonderful escape from blank pages.

And don't forget, "it's not the destination so much as the journey". As much as we dislike it, writing takes time and effort, but keep writing, write with patience and passion.

S: That's awesome advice! :D Thank you so much for doing this interview, and congratulations once again on FM!

If you’ve yet to congratulate Rose on FM, join us in doing so on their FM thread or on their wall!

Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:51 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE HAIKU TRAIN MAKES ANOTHER COMEBACK

Earlier this month, YWSers made an enthusiastic return to the Haiku Train , a thread in Writing Activities with a fun and collaborative concept. In this thread, you take the last line of the previous poster’s haiku and make that the first line of yours.

The haiku is a Japanese poetic form that is also well-loved by poets in the English language. The Academy of American Poets website describes it as a three-line, seventeen-syllable poem that usually includes nature imagery. On YWS, haiku make an appearance in May with the #MayHaiku hashtag, where poets challenge themselves to write haiku during that month. We also have this in-depth KB resource by @Kale on the nuances of haiku.

While there are multiple Writing Activities threads that involve Japanese poetic forms, lately the Haiku Train has been the most active. This thread was created by YWSer @BarrettBenedict all the way back in 2009. Here is a quote from them on how this writing activity works:

This is pretty simple and can be lots of fun. The premise is you take the last line of the haiku before yours and make it the first as yours. It doesn't necessarily have to be the exact line either. If you can cleverly change it in subtle ways so that it rhymes or sounds the same that is also cool.

After the first set of posts, there was a period of time where there were no further contributions to the Haiku Train. In 2018, the thread was revived by @alliyah and enjoyed some activity in that year and the next. However, in 2020, the Haiku Train became extremely active, more than it had ever been before. That year, the haiku contributions went on for around 7 pages in the thread. Since 2020, contributions per year have lasted at least that many pages, with 2022’s Haiku Train activity going for around 30 pages.

This present spike in haiku contributions began with @Plume's poem on December 5th. At the time of me writing this, the Haiku Train has grown by 4 pages over two weeks and quite consistently, too. The most recent poster (as of December 17th) was @APoltergeist.

If you’re looking for some poetry writing practice, why not hop on the Haiku Train? The thread accepts any short poem in English with the 5-7-5 syllable pattern. You don’t need to write traditional nature-focused haiku to participate! Imagery, themes and style can wander widely as one post builds upon another.

If exploring haiku as a form is also of interest to you, there are plenty of resources to browse online. You might start with this article by the haiku poet Madoka Mayuzumi, or this article on haiku by a Japanese sociologist. Both are fascinating articles that show the relevance of poetry to individuals, communities and societies!

Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:53 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

POETRY WINDOWS: ‘FIRE AND ICE’ BY ROBERT FROST

Even if you’re a poetry novice, you’ve very likely heard of Robert Frost. Robert Frost was a famous 20th century poet writing in the English language. His poems often use simple, everyday language in comparison to his contemporaries. Frost has definitely been talked about on YWS a couple of times: for example, @alliyah once started a Poetry Discussion thread on a different Robert Frost poem called ‘Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening’.

In this edition of Poetry Windows, we focus on a poem of his called ‘Fire and Ice’. Comparatively, it is a shorter poem, but it packs a punch.

The poem

[See the original source here on Poetry Foundation. ]

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Structure

There doesn’t seem to be a formal structure to this nine-line poem overall. It is not a sonnet or a haiku, for instance.

The rhyme scheme as a whole is ABAABCBCB, but note that the lines about ‘fire’ all end with words that rhyme with fire (desire, fire), and likewise for ‘ice’ (ice, twice, suffice), with the exception of the hate/great rhyme.

Many of the lines are mainly iambic, meaning that they have a pattern of unstressed-followed-by-stressed syllables. For example, I would read the following lines this way, with stressed syllables in all-caps and unstressed syllables in small letters:

from WHAT i've TASTEd OF deSIre,
    i HOLD with THOSE who FAvour FIre.

However, I think “Some say” may be pronounced as an iamb or a trochee (stressed followed by unstressed) depending on how you choose to say it: SOME say, or some SAY.

“fire” and “desire” obviously end in an unstressed syllable. This makes the lines about desire share the same stress pattern in their ending. The opposite also seems to be true for the lines about hatred which always end in a stressed syllable. I'm not sure if that has a specific effect or meaning, since the poem might be too short for people to hear the pattern without explicitly looking for one, but it definitely is a cool detail that emphasises how the elements of 'fire' and the elements of 'ice' are linked and contrasted in the poem.

Language

Something interesting about the language used to me are the use of hedging and qualifiers. Unlike a lot of heavily rhetorical poems, this poem begins with the speaker citing other sources with the vague “Some say”. When it is time for the speaker to give their own opinion, they hedge it with phrases like “I think” and qualify it with phrases like “From what I’ve tasted (of desire)”. This creates the observational and distant tone of the poem, which is unexpected given that it is a poem about strong emotions.

Themes and Meaning

While the subject of the poem is the end of the world, I think its meaning extends to the broader themes of desire and hatred. Frost characterises both emotions as being intense enough to destroy the world, which says something about people and their emotions.

The exact message is left up to interpretation. The last few lines of the poem are particularly interesting in this regard.

Deirdre J. Fagan writes that the speaker in the poem shows a “complacent” attitude towards the world’s ending. This complacency apparently occurs in the tone of the last few lines. That hate will “suffice” to end the world, in their interpretation, suggests the speaker wants to world to end.

My interpretation of the final lines of the poem is different. Frost writes “To say that for destruction ice/ Is also great”. The word order here is unusual. Even putting aside that he may just be doing it for the rhyme, the line foregrounds the phrase ”for destruction” by putting it before "ice". Meanwhile, there is no such emphasis made about desire/fire. This to me implies that hate/ice can only destroy or has destruction as a salient purpose. Meanwhile, it implies that desire/fire does other things.

I agree with Fagan where they write that the poem has a deeper, non-literal meaning beyond the question of ‘how the world will end’. Ultimately, I think the focus of the last lines are less about what the speaker thinks of the world ending and more about what the speaker thinks of desire and hatred.

Overall

There is plenty to think about even with as short a poem as this! I would characterise it as an observational poem, taking a hard look at the emotions of desire and hatred and how both have the potential to be destructive. It leaves off with a sense of ominousness, as though humanity is trapped between two options of destructive feeling.

What do you think ‘Fire and Ice’ means to say? Let us know on the People’s Tab using #PoetryWindows !

Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:54 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

No Shameless Plugs this week :(

Please send us yours!

Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:55 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@Shady@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen@crossroads@neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha@Rook@Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau@wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@KaiTheGreater@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia@Omni@Morrigan@AfterTheStorm@BrumalHunter@Arcticus@Wolfi@Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505@ExOmelas@SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian@TinkerTwaggy@kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake@rainforest@Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback@Que@BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity@BluesClues • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings@TheLittlePrince@TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123@Mageheart@Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim@Kazumi@inktopus@OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat@Mathy@Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor@fishsashimi@TheWeirdoFromBeyond@shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess@Starve@JosephHGeorge@Amabilia@Fantascifi66@paperforest@alliyah@Lib@Dossereana@atlast@EverLight@AlyTheBookworm@mckaylaam@JesseWrites@lillianna@IcyFlame@writingbright@RadDog13579@Euphory@LUNARGIRL@yosh@momonster@rida • @starshipgirl • @ForeverYoung299@MailicedeNamedy@RandomTalks@QueenMadrose • @Phillauthet@MC • @Zyria • @OrabellaAvenue

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal biweekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let them know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it.
— Olin Miller