Rimier

by rhiasofia

The forecast said sleet, with 
80% chance of self-inflicted loneliness.
Just cold enough, it said, to
ice the tears in the corners of my eyes
and set my hands to aching
at the bones. The frigid air shifts
closer to me on the bench with
each shiver, but 
doesn't quite bump shoulders.

I draw my hands together in a slow, grating
motion and hope for some warmth
in the face of this sharp company, then
remember how little I touched you today;
for retribution, each hand is ostracized
to shake and whimper alone on either side
of this quivering body of mine that
likes to play at resilience.

The leaves rustle out a prattling- it is cold, but,
you are more, you are more-
and so I crush their still-living greeness
between stiff, metal hands to hear them
crackle out in brash awe, like they spent
so long trying to freeze those
rivers of their cells and now cry out
at the ease of my injust destruction.

but when each touch destroys,
I can't bring myself to tear you down,

yet I would let you ruck my own frozen skin,
leave it creased and peaked,
to see if it would sound the same
(for surely my blood must
run cold to freeze me up in 
indifference)

Demeter wrote a review...

Hi there Rhiasofia!

I thought that in general this was beautiful, but you use a lot of words - more than necessary, I'd say! For example:

motion and hope for some warmth
in the face of this sharp company,

I thought this was quite a mouthful. I'm not going to try to rephrase it because a) I don't feel I'm able to meddle with your work like that and b) I have no idea what I'd change it to anyway. But in general I think especially "hope for some warmth in the face of this sharp company" is much too many words to basically just say that "I'm cold but don't want to be". I mean, of course I know that poetry is all about saying thing in new ways, which you've obviously done, but I think you've done it in a too explanatory way - your readers aren't (hopefully) dumb. I guess my advice would be just to see how few words you can say what you want to achieve and then just use those words?

I'm also not a fan of the tears bit in the beginning for similar reasons what Pengu has already stated. Perhaps you could see if there's a way to weave the tears into the weather in a way that is not overly used and chewed (like "rain/mist in my eyes" etc. etc.)

However, I like how the poem seems to get stronger towards the end. All in all, you've kept to the poem's theme well throughout the poem, which makes everything seem together and composed and relevant. I can see how everything has a place in this poem - rather, every idea, because a lot of the words you could easily cut out. But the ideas behind them seem necessary and I'm not suggesting you remove any of those. :)

Hope this helped even a little!

Demeter
x

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:11 pm
PenguinAttack wrote a review...

Hi Rhia!

I hope you're having a lovely day. So I think this poem is a little too cliched at this point. Your imagery is a bit stagnant and we're stuck going over the same concept (cold and loss) in a way which isn't conducive to enjoying your poem.

"remember how little I touched you today;" At the moment I'd say this is your best line. It's hidden in there among the slightly melodramatic chafing cold, but it says what you want in a simple but evocative way. When I read that I am reminded of the times where I spend a day without making any physical contact, and those days are sometimes weird and empty because of it. "set my hands aching at the bones" is also a really solid line. Good, simple but moving!

If you can consider the rest of your poem in this light, then I think you're going somewhere. Solidify your image, what is the forecast for real? Is it snow or sleet or hail? You having a strong metaphor will help the rest of your poem fall in line, allowing you to start linking your images in a way which can build on your concept without dragging it down. Think of how you might give your images in a more cohesive way.

"The forecast said cold, with a chance
of self-inflicted loneliness.
Just cold enough, it said, to
sting tears into the corners of my eyes"

Could turn into something like "The forecast said sleet,/80% chance for loneliness,/just cold enough/to ice the tears in my eyes." or some such. It's still a little melodramatic, because I think you can use images to show the loneliness and sadness without actually stating them and that might up the 'production value' of the poem, the look and the feel of it.

I think you've got a good start here and while it needs work, you have the base to build upon, which is really the harder thing! Good luck with any changes!

- Penguin.

BlackFish wrote a review...

That was pretty beautiful, not going to lie. I'm a crap poet, so I tend to like most poetry, but trust me when I say this is a lot better than many I've read (who weren't like, you know, published poets). I envy great poets because my own is lacking, and you, friend, are a great poet. It's short so there's not much to say other than it is skillfully crafted and evocative. General terms, I know, but I'm a crap critic as well.

Wow, thanks for this. Keep up the great work!

rule #1 of being a potato: potatoes gotta defend their friends from negative self-talk
— Spearmint