Home » Literary works » Other » Realistic

18+ Language Mature Content

my pronouns are "it, it's"

by manilla

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

when you're objectified, the first thoughts in your brain aren't

'fuck off, stop touching me you fucking dickhead."

you wish they were, though, because after

you've left, when you cannot

change anything

you simply

regret.

-"You know that he was only trying to make money, right?"

"I know...

It makes me realize, even though this situation is nothing near this...when girls are raped, they feel powerless. They become animals; the man, the hunter, and she is the prey. She cannot run, fight or hide. She can only freeze. You lose control."

-"You should tell the person 'no, stop.' You should do those things.

But 'should' is not 'can'."

i was twelve years old

when i skipped down the stone steps,

and happened to run into you.

you called me a name untranslatable in my mother tongue,

大美女。

you snapped the picture as your shells of friends watched

as my covered face burned with shame, fear, merely laced with fury.

my voice is small as i am rendered mute

i listen to my aunt tell me what i should've said: 别照我。

"don't take a picture of me."

but what if, in the eyes of these subhumans,

my pronouns are "it, it's"

because i am an object for viewing, seeing,

and later, for feeling,

for what i have done does not matter,

for what i can do is stripped away,

along with every fragment, every broken, bleeding piece

of who i am.

4revgreen wrote a review...

woah, this was so hard hitting. It was so brutal, truthful and full of the kind of raw emotion and expression a lot of people are too scared to put it into words. It was somewhat beautiful, and made me feel very uncomfortable, which is a good thing because it really made me think.
However, like Kostia said before me, i'm not really sure if this is a poem, or just a train of sort. It reads more like a poem, but regardless, i think it is really beautiful, and really flows well :-)

manilla says...

Thanks for the review! I clarified a few things below Kostia's comment if you'd like to see it.

kostia wrote a review...

Hello there manilla and happy review day!

This is Kostia dropping by for a quick review on your work!

The content of this is very strong and brutally honest. It is rich in emotion and protest. Your vocabulary is simple and easy to understand, anticipated for the most part.

I don't know what to say about structure since this is not a poem or a chapter. I am not sure what this piece of work can be called but for the most part I liked it.

It was very heavy and emotionally charged. It is a good read but not an easy one I will tell you that. However I would like a positive element somewhere in it, maybe in the end. A glimpse of hope and strength in it would make it more conclusive and easier to read.

Also I was confused with the pronouns thing. Would you mind explaining? I don't realise how that part was relevant to the theme.

I believe it would be better without it. Some further use of simile would also be beneficial.

Other than that I liked your ending lines, beautifully expressed, well done.

If you decide to edit this, I would love to read it and review again! Keep up the good work!

Have a great review day!

Best regards
Kostia

manilla says...

Thank you for the review!

The pronouns denote that the speaker is an object, not a human being (eg. him, her). I didn't know where to put this, either, because the dialogue stream kind of threw off the genre, along with the fact that there were several separate poems in...one.

Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.
— Roy T. Bennett