z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The War in Their Eyes

by Lightsong


i.

A scholar and a shepherd arguing with each other about what is black and white, about the sword of judgement and the wings of protection. The scholar points to the badges of achievements he has received while the shepherd points to the flock of sheep he has led. The scholar, firm with his repository of knowledge while the shepherd, firm with his repository of experience.

ii.

A flap of pork’s meat hung on the wall of temple with a dash of chicken’s blood for the slanted eyes to witness, for an uproar to erupt. It is morning when the adults wake up to go to work and they pass the temple only for some to see their food have been tainted, painted and murdered, reading how they are represented by the animal in ways that would trigger their scowls.

iii.

A caricature painted on the wall of the mosque depicting a woman hidden by her clothes, all except her face and hands, tied with a silver and gold rope, shown to those who followed the One, for an uproar to erupt. They read the writing on the wall: ‘A female soul trapped in a rope of rules and punishments, everything about her hidden from the world view.’

iv.

The upside down, a mockery of the symbol for the Sacrificed, made from hot metal at the top of all churches shown to those who followed the Son, for an uproar to erupt. The enraged crowd yells, ‘This is a land exclusive for one religion despite what has been written on paper and what has been declared in the television.’

v.

The person holding a planet of information in one hand and a galaxy of greedy motivations on the other watches the yelling from multiple screens, smiling. The war of blood has over, the greater war has arrived. There is no reason to kill a body when one can control him through his brain.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:41 am
View Likes
Aley wrote a review...



Hey, here's my review.

I'm writing this while we're talking. First off, I love how the scenes individually are full and created in their own space. I can get a sense from each one what is going on, and the setting of each motion and what happens in each one. I really like that. You have a very smooth voice, and that makes these easier to read. I also like how short the paragraphs look because of them being paragraphs.

I do think that you're actually getting a little long winded in some sections with extra words because of the style. You need to make sure that you only have what is absolutely necessary for the poem, exactly what is driving towards the end, but I think you build nicely from place to place. I think the real point of this is the way the war is nothing to the person at the end, and yet, someone did all of these things to create the chaos.

Overall, I love the perspective in this poem, but I think I'd like to see more of the interactions between the people than we actually see in the poem. I want to feel the poem, feel the anger they're feeling, or at the very least, see it. Engage my senses, my sense of taste, my sense of smell, and develop these things in the poem so that when it comes down to the end, I'm so wrapped up in what's going on above it, that I'm astounded by the cause.

I'd like to see that out of this poem, I'd like to have it at that next level up, and I think you can do it if you develop your skills of clarity and emotion by trying to evoke feelings through describing them with metaphor and symbolism. Really get into what you want to say, and say it. Don't be afraid to call people out. Don't be afraid to make it fantasy, or reality. Writing is about taking chances and getting your hands dirty, so dirty your hands! It's not about being politically correct. It's about getting it out.

I'm sure we'll talk about it more later.




User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 174
Reviews: 22

Donate
Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:39 pm
TheOneNamedZoe wrote a review...



Review time!

A story about modern life? Or ancient conflict? I really cannot tell, but from what I'm reading it's rather creative.
I enjoyed the talk of feasts and war, considering that is like my own story that I am working on, but that is a personal and selfish comment, not relating to your story.
I would like a better explanation of this however, if you would like to reply to this.
Thank You.




User avatar
91 Reviews


Points: 1937
Reviews: 91

Donate
Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:13 am
View Likes
Kazumi says...



reading how they are represented by the animal in ways that would trigger their scowls.

in ways that would trigger their scowls.

would trigger their

trigger

keyboard warriors incoming huheuehuehueheuheuheuheuheuheuheuhe





If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind