The Beeping Sound

by Lightsong

The reminder from being someone who arranges
to someone who scans (forcefully, no less!) is none other than
the beeping sound. The monotonous, short beeping sound.
Every adjective he throws to describe the sound ends up
being unpleasant to others' ears (definitely for its meaning!).

One would think the ponder a waste of time,
an irrelevant topic for some others much bigger in necessity.
It is a tiny detail in his life, but a part of his life, nonetheless
(it is the one he hears every time he scans the item!).
He has to hear it (like it or not!) because if he doesn't,
something is wrong with the scanner and his job and his salary.
It does not make it bearable, however, after some time.
The catchy pop songs dancing around the people's ears
in the spacious bookstore would not even able to drown
the beeping sound, placing itself so close to his being.

At the very least, the beeping sound is his company
when her superior utters thunder to his ears, purposefully
bleeding them for the the faults he has made
('Wrong scanning! Slow work! Low voice!').
It reminds him he does this for the money, and he should not
care less about others, no matter how important they are.
So he endures the thunder, and also, the punishing gestures
when his superior shows to him a small paper timetable
with the word 'think before you act' behind it
(as if he does not know it yet!)
and another with 'ask if you do not know'
(again, as if he does not know it yet!)
and those words are for him to read, for him to know
they are the reminders before he makes another list of mistakes
(in front of the customers, fully aware this is not their business!).

At least the beeping sound produces an effort
to distract him from the barking, albeit failing the moment it starts.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:45 am
seeminglymeaningless wrote a review...

Heya Light,

Thanks for requesting a review! Like I said in my shop, poetry is definitely not a forte of mine, so please understand that this is your wheelhouse and I may trip and stumble from time to time.

That said, critique sandwich time.

1. What did I like about this piece?
> The premise is interesting, if not a little confusing. In fact, as I'm Australian, I didn't even get this poem at all until I read it a second time. In Australia the person who scans the goods at a grocery store is the same person who bags the goods. In fact, many shops now have their own check-out system, where you can scan, bag and pay for your goods at your own station. So as you can imagine, this poem did not relate to me at all. So I liked reading something new and broadening my perspective of the world.

2. What specific points need improvement?
> Unfortunately, I had to read the poem a 3rd time to realise the above stuff I wrote wasn't even correct in a way. I'm guessing he's just a check-out-chick at a book store? If so the snippets of instructions he hears is just strange. No "superior" says "wrong scanning" - it's so awfully vague. It just sounds like a terrible work environment.

> The main character sounds like a rude person who only cares about money and not the customers around him. When the voice is unlikable, the piece can easily become unlikable too.

> I didn't like the brackets as they interfered with the narrative instead of adding to it. What do you lose if you remove the brackets around most of the work? Pretty much nothing.

> I also disliked the overuse of exclamation marks. Are the comments really that exciting, moving, wondrous or horrific? Are they shocking, delicious or outrageous? Do they need the reinforcement of this punctuation that dictates they are an important, very important, part of the narrative?

> Overuse of words like "however", "again", "nonetheless". Each time you use them it's a bit like, "I'm not racist, but..." - ie, everything said before is forgotten.

> The use of "superior" instead of "boss". This might be an Aussie thing, but we rarely talk about higher-ups as "superiors". When I was a cashier, the older and more experienced colleagues were just colleagues. Only the manager was a manager/boss. As this guy works in a book store, he doesn't encounter "super boss magnates" like you would in a successful law firm or publishing company, so he shouldn't really be calling them "superior". Unless this was a sort of sarcastic title, in which case, it did not come off as sarcastic at all.

> Some bits and pieces I noticed throughout:

To me, this doesn't make any sense at all. If you were being cryptic or vague about what is more important to others, it just came off as odd, not clever.
when her superior utters thunder to his ears

His?

3. What are my concluding thoughts?
> Overall, I did not really enjoy this poem. If your goal was to turn a beeping noise into something interesting, you tried valiantly, but it is a difficult topic to succeed with. I felt as if because the voice was not interesting and the topic was not interesting, the poem ended up as a multiplicative of not interesting.

I think you can reword and restructure your poem to include some figurative language that will liven up the pacing and imagery. Make it something alive with description and actual thought as opposed to the passive voice you've got going. See if you can use repetition, onomatopoeia (I'm surprised there is none for a poem about sound), metaphors, similes, anything to enrich this piece.

For example...

A tiny aspect of his tiny job in his tiny life, but
still a part of his tiny existance
for the tiny beep is something he hears
for every tiny scan
is like the breath of a tiny new start
abruptly silenced
only to start again

^Not saying the above is a masterpiece, but I've deliberately used poetic devices to further a point.

Again, poetry is not something I write or read, so I do have a sort of romanticised view of it. Poetry to me has to cause me to feel something when I read. It needs to have some sort of meter involved for it to flow. It needs to be enlightening, I need to learn something valuable from it. I don't feel as if you've achieved the above things.

I hope my review helped in some way!

All the best,
Jai

OurManInHavana wrote a review...

Hello,

First of all I do not entirely agree with Keep writing. You are the writer and if you say it is poetry, it is so. But I too cannot say that I very much enjoyed it as a poem. Of course, one of the themes of the poem is monotony, but that does not mean that the poem should not be interesting and inviting to read.

I like some of the sentences, but overall it takes some effort the get through it.
I really don't know what to say. I like the poem and the idea behind it, but did not enjoy reading it. If that makes any sense.

RubyRed wrote a review...

Hello, Lightsong. I can't really say I enjoyed this. It wasn't what I expected especially since it wasn't poetry. Poetry has a rhyme and beat to it. It doesn't have to rhythm but there has to be consistency, which this is missing. I'm sorry to sound so negative but I just didn't like it. I think it needs to be improved upon. Keep writing and never get discouraged!

~Keepwriting

RubyRed says...

rhythm and beat to it*

Lightsong says...

No, poetry is more than that.

RubyRed says...

Then you'd know this isn't poetry.

Lightsong says...

No. This is. I'm not going to explain to you poetry isn't specific in definition.

RubyRed says...

Then what you're saying is, is that poetry is no different than just plain writing.

Lightsong says...

What I'm trying to say is that there are many forms of poetry out there, and mine is simply free verse.

RubyRed says...

It looks like common writing to me.

How can I be king of the world? Because I am king of rubbish. And rubbish is what the world is made of.
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane