To Cupid I Belonged

by Lightsong

My eyes he froze,
my stammering heart he clutched,
my body he made still like someone
struck with a spell.

His laughter?
It carried around the room
like a vibration of a guitar,
prompting a heartquake to those
who were not prepared.

His eyes?
A pair of microscope lens
able to see the dirtiest germ
and the hint of lavender scene.

Able to bypass my hard-built skin.

Me?
Almost fell to the ground
and exposed the black-brown disease
on my back.

Diverted my gaze to others who were too far
and built back my protective cocoon, hoping
no one noticed my smile and sigh.

His presence?
Too huge a mountain,
too majestic a king,
too -

He embraced me,
pulling every shard of my body to him,
providing a warmth I had felt for the first time,
comforting me with his breath.

He saved me.
It wasn’t his laughter or his smile
or his presence (although those three
were more valuable than golds)
but his hand, rescuing me
from the suffocating room and people
wearing sinister wigs.

He brought me to open land
to breath with my eyes closed,
to stretch my arms wide.

I opened my eyes and saw
shackles in his hands, rope around his neck;
bruises on his back, plaster on his mouth.
I see myself in him, but

he smiled. He didn’t break like a log
when it was chopped into two.
Sparkles in his eyes; he hugged me again.

I hugged him back.

Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:51 am
Bloo wrote a review...

Hey I'm Gonna Look At Your Poem and Say Things

my body he made still like someone
struck with a spell.

So, this line breaks the flow rather early for me. You seem to have intentionally made the first stanza symmetrical in format, but the closing line is more a fragment, while the opener feels like finished thought. It might look prettier, but the words come first. Now, a bump to the flow is not inheriently bad, but it should be carefully placed, to highlight the words of the lines. In this case the bump would be best utilized before "struck" to better represent the speaker's stun.

The second stanza is solid, the flow is great, but a bit simple in the imagery. To capture the level affection the subject has on the Speaker, you might want to make the stanza a bit more vibrant, or add another brief one. Heartquake works and I love the combination, but the thought it conjures is a bit muddled. Still, it fits so snugly into the lines around it I would hesitate to advise change.

Able to bypass my hard-built skin.

The descriptors here are on the clunky side, and the line break isolating it really only serves to make it feel more out of place. Hard-Built sounds like its trying too hard not to be "Thick skinned" or similar sounding, which isn't a bad choice, but it feels forced in this iteration.

I assume of the previous line about lavender is in reference to plantations? Adding to it with the brown-black skin being considered "diseased", and some other bits picked up re-reads.

These aspects of the poem are standouts, but at the same time they're used too infrequently to make much sense early on. (I'll touch more on this when I talk about a later stanza, and the poem as a whole).

Me?
Almost fell to the ground
and exposed the black-brown disease
on my back.

Carries a similar issue to the first stanza. The ending line feels incomplete, feeling more like a run on sentence trying to disguise as two lines.

Ah! Now the next stanza is actually a great example of how to fix the problem in the last.
The thought runs on in a similar way, but it divides far more natural, each line feeling complete on its own. The second line especially, as the breaks around "Hoping" are perfect to emphasis the longing feel of the emotion.
You could easily make that a single word its own line, because in context it has far more power than any six letter word has business to. So, when I talk about a line feeling incomplete, it doesn't have to do with the length, but the content. Hoping itself may not be much, but it a complete thought in the context, because it conveys larger ideas, bringing action, emotion, and reflection. (A momentary pause, an acknowledgement of circumstance before pressing forward.)

Next two Stanzas pair toghther great, and also work fine on their own. The imagery of the shards is especially A+, but I'd make a slight change to

comforting me with his breath.

Nothing major, just the phrasing of the last line could flow better, some of the words are a filler; unneeded to get the image across. Example in this, off the cuff, edit:

"Providing a warmth I had felt for the first time,
His breath comforted me"
Cutting right to the action, and focusing on the Him, as he is the one taking action. (If the intent is to focus on the speaker's reaction more, then the same idea follows, just swap out the Him) (But as the stanza before cuts off the speaker with His actions, it would be more consistent to keep the stanza's focus on him)

were more valuable than golds)
Just gold sounds far smoother, but you could also go the other way and instead be more specific with the gold/valuables. But the S is awkward for the phrase.

but his hand, rescuing me
rescuing sticks out as rather bland among the much more interesting word choice s around it. Something like Grasping, Holding Close. Or the use of something that brings to mind an almost divine act. Anything that shows what the Speaker displays more of how the Speaker feels during the rescue.

The next stanza suffers a bit for the same reason, try to bring a bit more variety to the words.

I hesitate to comment on the Open Eye stanza, as until there is a bit more of an established mood in the previous stanza, it would be hard to make it not feel out of place. And it seems like the intention is to be jarring, but mood shifts like this should still be tethered to something.
The use of plantation/slave imagery does attach these lines to the rest, but they are a bit sparse and inconsistent at the moment to link this stanza properly.
While focusing on the imagery may defeat the intended mood whiplash of the Speaker returning to reality, some of the more simple lines could be opportunities to bring the Shackle-related themes into the poem more.

The the last stanza feels...forced? Sorry, its hard to pin down. The metaphor of a log splitting isn't a bad one, but the way its broken up makes it read like its setting up to compare to something else. Instead of imagery describing him, we get imagery of one thing he isn't. Sparkles in the eyes are a step close to that, but its a little generic, and not nearly connected enough to the previous lines. If there is a significance to his eyes, or to them sharing direct eye contact, then it needs to be established for the emotions to translate.

Overall: The poem is good, but the ride from point A to B can be a little bumpy at times, but they're not problems, just holes to go back and fill in on reflection. There is a lot of potential in the ideas you present here.

The use of repetition fits the tone of the poem well, the Speaker sounding similar to when someone is fixing/expanding on the details of a story lost in the memory of it. But towards the end, as the story moves from the more dreamy-locale to an actual location, it begins to hinder the poem. The focus of the poem is changing, but the format makes it feel like more of the same.

To go more into the Location note, its mostly the lack of specific descriptors that make it feel jarring when the scene changes in the blink of the Speaker's eyes.
When I say simple language, I mostly refer to the lines which use It followed by a rather bland action or adjective. Think of it as telling vs showing through the use of more expressive words.
Tying into this, I touched briefly on how that shackle line came a bit Out of Nowhere (especially on the first read), but you can use these simpler parts to add in stronger connections by making more use of words that appear to point toward slave/plantation-esque imagery
Most of it reads like it's taking place in brief moments which feel like a lifetime, using their love as an escape from their damned fate. However, without much focus on the location, the environment of that doomed fate, it's hard to feel the full weight on the reveal of the Shackle Stanza. Which is a great narrative, but it needs more focus to be properly told, and part of that requires settling the setting.

Have a Good One

Aley wrote a review...

Hey Lightsong,

Compared to the other poem, you worked on clarity and improved a lot of it in this poem. I really like that you changed up your style to something more like this where it's more direct, like a person telling someone else about an experience they had. I think it works very, very well.

I would suggest that you use some more variety with the types of sentences you write however because this poem, despite being very pretty with how it sounds, and clear about what is going on, is still missing something. I think what it's missing is variety of syntax. What I mean is that you started every sentence by saying [object] [active verb] and not in the 'sentence' type of way but like "My eyes, bleeding down the drain" where it sounds like you're missing a word, or like you're just commenting on how those parts are affected rather than actually talking about them. "My eyes are bleeding down the drain" you've taken out all of the auxiliary verbs.

This style makes the poem a little halting, and after the first list of things, it gets too repetitious for my taste. In a poem, when you're doing something repeatedly, a good average number is 3. You do it enough to make people know it's a pattern, then stop for a while, then you can go back to it. Here, we don't really have that stop, and you don't have the commas, so it sounds like a lot of really broken sentences.

However, I am okay with having the style start off the poem because it is a unique way to say things, but you may want to add in some of the "were, had, are," verbs later.

I like this poem more than the puzzles you were giving me the other night. It's a lot more direct, but there are still things that are vague. For instance, the comments about disease and germs, is this person a germaphobe or something? Why does it come up so often?

Also, I don't really understand the comments about shackled hands and so forth, or how that's like the speaker. It seems out of place almost, so if you could clarify that by adding it in as a metaphor earlier describing the speaker, I think that could clear it up, something like "my hands are shackled by [insert whatever it is]" or however you want to add it.

Overall, keep moving forward, you're doing a great job. You still have a little clarification to do, and make sure you use some variety in your sentence structures, but this is going very well.

Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:19 am
Rydia wrote a review...

Haaiiii! Poetry!

1. Good title - it's a strong, clear statement and its got some intrigue.

2. I think the first and second line are strong but the next two don't have the same flow and feel a bit stumbling, especially because I read 'my body he made' and then have to realise it's actually 'my body he made still'. Maybe try something like:

My eyes he froze,
my stammering heart he clutched,
my body he stilled
like a spell had struck.

or

My eyes he froze,
my stammering heart he clutched,
my body he stilled, like someone
spellstruck.

3. Instead of not prepared in the next stanza, I think 'who were unprepared' sounds better.

4.

His eyes?
A pair of microscope lenses

5.
and the hint of lavender scene.
I'm not sure I understand this line. Lavender grows really thick so it's not usually a 'hint' or maybe that last word was meant to be scent? A scene of lavender just seems an odd phrase. Lavender stalks are such a vibrant colour as well and also pretty tall (can you tell my dad had it in our garden?).

6. Lovely descriptions in the next few stanzas!

7.
I opened my eyes and saw
I see myself in him, but
I'm not sure if the plaster here is like the bandaid or the kind of plaster you get on walls? I think it's hard to grasp some of the context of your words.

8.
he smiled. He didn’t break like a log
when it was chopped into in two.

I think there are some pretty descriptions in this poem and the later stanzas especially have a really nice, drifting flow but I'm not sure I've understood half the context. I don't know if cupid represents a real man or if it's metaphorical and I don't know why the title is past tense - belonged - the poem seems to end with the persona still belonging to this cupid figure? Smaller details like that gave the poem a slightly fuzzy/ disjointed feel but it's a nice read and it definitely has potential!

Best of luck with this and sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Maybe I'm just missing some obvious allusions.

~Heather

Lightsong says...

Thanks for the review! I'm going to take as much good in it as I can. :D

Hmm, I think cellophane tape is better than plaster, I've just remembered the term. xD

And yes, it's scent! :3

Rydia says...

No problem and yes, cellophane brings a much stronger image with it and scent makes more sense now xD

You are in the wrong land even if the roosters recognize you.
— Nathalie Handal, "Noir, une lumière"