12+

Resuscitator and Virulent Air

by Lightsong

I clawed into my chest and held my heart. I could see its beating but not its sound and yet others in the house could. It went back to where it belonged and yet, I was still suffocated.

I looked at every inch for a resuscitator only to meet despair. And then He pulled my ear and whispered the truth: this was my prison and I was not supposed to breath freely.

He who owned this place filled the space with a virulent air. The urge to do what had been told me replaced the precious oxygen. After hundred years of inhaling, my brain was steaming and my sight turned blurry.

I looked into the mirror to find another truth. There was a puppet in it with black-rimmed eyes. Its body was made of wood and cracks. I knew the place it would go once the cracks became too much. I closed my eyes and cried, hoping blood was my tears.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:45 am
Virgil wrote a review...

This is Kaos here for a review!

So I always like to see attempts at prose poetry, and this is no exception. Jumping right into the poem, it seems to suffer from what a lot of prose poetry happens to end up doing, and that's that it starts to self-indulge a lot and it starts to ramble on and on that we don't really get to see much else outside of that. Sure, we get the third stanza that talks about what seems to be the significant other in the poem, but not much else. I can agree that this poem happens to fall into something that is "emo" and we'll jump right into that with the first stanza, but first, some explanation of what I mean by it rambling. The only thing that really comes out of the poem happens to be the thoughts of the speaker and we don't see outside of this, which is what's called navel-gazing. I'm going to leave a link to an article that I've found to be helpful, which is here: Navel-gazing

We jump into the first stanza and I would have liked to see more of the process of the speaker "clawing into their heart" rather than just one line of it. I liked the imagery that you gave off there but it's weak at connecting to the other stanzas, I think. The second stanza kicks off with the speaker feeling like their body is a prison and everything of that sort. I liked the part about the resuscitator, but the wording in the second stanza could use some help as well as the flow.

The poem in general feels a little awkward in its flow and it starts to feel choppy. It would be beneficial if you focused more on fixing this and the wording so that the poem gets along clearer. The imagery is something that I liked in the poem and I didn't really have too much of a problem with it, but the execution as a whole didn't really strike me as something really powerful with the ending line feeling just sort of generic and nothing more. Focus on the flow of the poem and the rest will sprout out from there.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:31 pm
Apricity wrote a review...

Hello Sir Light, I don't think I've reviewed any of your works before, let's go. You labelled this as poetry, it sort of borders on prose/poetry but anyways. I feel like this piece would have actually worked better, if you did it in the standard stanza form partially because you can play around with line length, rhythm whereas if you put it in paragraph form less room to explore.

The general mood here I think you have achieved, a sense of asphyxiation, your word choices combined with the well-placed fullstops I think contributes to the sense that the narrators's breath is being constantly truncated. That being said, whilst I read this, something felt lacking. You have some wonderful, evocative lines here

I could see its beating but not its sound and yet others in the house could.

Ugh, that sense of alienation and isolation. I feel it. However, your next line
It went back to where it belonged and yet, I was still suffocated.
doesn't quite do the sentiment you've built up earlier justice. 'where it belonged', where exactly is this 'it' you're referring to here the last line seems like a general conclusion, as opposed to the specific, concrete details you offered earlier on that gave the readers the room to draw their own conclusions. 'Still suffocated', what kind of suffocation is it, can you illustrate that via concrete imagery?

The ending to your second paragraph is what you want to aim for I suppose, it packs a metaphorical punch to the gut. Well done.

I'm unsure about the switch to third person in the third paragraph, you've kept it to first person throughout the entire piece. The constancy would be good there as well, on top of that, who is this 'He' you're talking about. It disrupts the flow, makes the reader stop and question who this new person the narrator is referring to.

The last paragraph, I'm on the fence about. For two reasons, 1) Weak word choices here. Puppet and black-rimmed eyes, the adjective is too weak here, I feel like you could expand on the idea of black-rimmed eyes, what does it symoblise, what are you trying to convey here, is the black desperation, when you say black-rimmed eyes I immediately flash to sleepless nights, insomnia because that is what it is usually coupled with. So, beware of using cliche terms like these. As for the ending, whilst beautiful in its own way feels like the echoed ending of another poem.

All that being said, you have a good piece here, reedit, repolish it and it'll shine brighter. Hope this reviewed helped, if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or comment. :)

-Apricity

Lightsong says...

Thanks for the review! :D I have difficulties in operating the inner organs of this imagery, so it's only on the surface that I show. :)

Apricity says...

Hey, no problem. Operating the inner organs...(is that a pun on the poem), ah I see. Ok, take your time and dissect it then, it's worth the time. ;)

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:32 am
shahinaz says...

Very powerful piece! I love the way you speak of mans internalization of social ideals to the point that his own physical autonomy comes into question. raises very important questions about truth, freedom and originality. Incredibly well illustrated point!

The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you're made of, not the circumstances.
— Unknown