Yet Another Day

by Ishan212

“So you said you that you will get the presentation done” I sipped the coffee. “Yeah, Ishan I’ll be bringing it to you by tomorrow” there was a different kind of sweetness in her voice. Why was she being sweet? What did she want from me? Moronic questions. Why’d I care if she is sweet or bitter or sour or salty or …..whatever it means. I need to focus in my goals. And right now my goal is to get the highest marks in the class. And for which, I need to get minimum ninety nine, if not hundred in this foolhardy chemistry project with people like Kavitha and Akash in my group. Horrible. Really horrible.

“ Okay” I said “We’ll catch up tomorrow evening” I was about to rise up, but Kavitha spoke up, rather abruptly and this time she was not sweet at all.

“Can you be a bit normal? Why not chat with me for a while”

Another foolish question. But I knew how to tackle such witches.

“Well… Kavitha,” I said, in a tone that resembles one of those HM guys, you meet at a restaurant or a hotel “I’d loved to chat with you but you know my coffee is finished and I can’t sit in a café, without having coffee. It feels… undignified”

“Oh I’ll order you some” the witch was clever.

“Kavitha, don’t you know coffee has caffeine, that is seriously very dangerous for your throat. My doctor strictly forbade me coffee and related products” I smiled at her.

Due to some unknown cause, she looked at me with an expression, that is seen easily when your favorite batsman returns to the pavilion at ninety nine because ethe other lad at the runner’s end was too busy staring some pretty cheerleader.

Great.

I smiled at her and traced my footsteps outside the café. My phone said 4:30 pm. I still had thirty minutes to reach home and have something great. Probably a samosa or a bread pakora would do. Yes with imli ki chatni or I’ll have to adjust with tomato ketchep.

But on the way, I was extremely fortunate to meet my old old friends. The Cows. They were walking towards me in those groups, people call herds, but to they looked more like a troop of soldiers marching to attack somebody.

I looked if there were any herdsmen. No. They are never.

I had to change my way, turn right from Maharaja Agrasen Marg.

Bovinophobic.

Okay okay, turning right was not a good idea. I encountered my even dearer friend the barking black dog there. To my greater relief he( I presume him to be ‘he’, if he is not ‘he’ then he should not be called ‘he’ but ‘she’) was chained.

Poor dog. Animals should not be treated like objects. But as equals. The Sharmas at 9-B AK Khanna Marg are real real creeps. I decided to inform the environment ministry and the animal rights NGO, my mom works for one about this inhuman and ruthless treatment by the Sharmas!

Having had the samosas and lecturing my younger brother about the ill effects of having junk and oily food, I bullied Aakash, texting him that if be did not get me the presentation tomorrow, I was going to hack his email and all other social media accounts and then decided to write a strongly worded letter to the authorities.

Section Head

Ministry of Environmental Affairs and Ecology

North Block

Rashtrapati Bhavan

New Delhi

Sir

This is to bring it your notice that there has been an alarming increase in the crimes against pet animals in our locality of Maharaja Agrasen Nagar in the past few months.

For instance, the Sharmas of 9-B AK Khanna Marg have been subjecting their pet dog to cruel, severe and excruciating atrocities. Scarry, as he is known to be called is a black coloured beagle who is starved not allowed basic freedom that a dog is entitled to and can be found chained to the Sharma’s garden pole in heat cold and rain all round the year.

As a responsible citizen and an animal lover, I would request you to take appropriate action against the defaulters and rescue Scarry from the tormental conditions, he is presently in.

Thank You

Yours respectfully

Ishan

Student

***

“Coming to your project” Mrs Kapoor said, “Ishan, Kavitha and Aakash have received the highest marks in class. I’m proud of all three of you. I think I’ll be putting you three together for all the projects the rest of the year.

Neither Kavitha nor Aakash looked happy.

The same evening I was sipping coffee with dad, when he handed me the local daily. The front page had a photographs of Sharma uncle hiding his face and Mrs. Sharma glaring at the Animal Protection Squad. There were loads of PETA volunteers, with playcards saying “ STOP CRUELTY AGAINST PETS” and “ PETS ARE YOUR FRIENDS NOT SLAVES” Who would have called them there?

“Dad , I don’t really understand, what are these animal rights groups upto? Means can’t we just chain animals, as after all they are animals not humans. Dangerous to be lived with. “

Dad frowned.

PeijiRestoration wrote a review...

Hello,

Peiji here for a review!

I only saw two things I thought were confusing about the story that weren't already mentioned by another reviewer. One was the fact that the protagonist mentions finishing coffee, which suggests he had coffee, and then immediately says he can't have coffee. This could be just his bad lie to escape the situation, or it could just be a writing error. The other thing was the ending. The protagonist seems shocked that PETA and the Animal Protection Agency were called, despite the fact that he called upon the authorities. He then seems completely unaware as to why they would be there. The way the next line is written implies that he said animals were dangerous to live with, and should be chained. Was this a mistake, or was he actually saying this?

Anyway, moving on to grammar.

In the line "'So you said you that you will get the presentation done' I sipped the coffee"
The dialogue should be punctuated by a question mark.

The line "'Yeah, Ishan I’ll be bringing it to you by tomorrow' there was a different kind of sweetness in her voice." should be, "'Yeah, Ishan, I’ll be bringing it to you tomorrow.' There was a different kind of sweetness in her voice."

"I need to focus in my goals" should say "I need to focus on my goals"

"'Okay' I said 'We’ll catch up tomorrow evening' I was about to rise up, but Kavitha spoke up, rather abruptly and this time she was not sweet at all." should say "'Okay,' I said, 'We’ll catch up tomorrow evening.' I was about to rise up, but Kavitha spoke up, rather abruptly, and this time she was not sweet at all."

"'Why not chat with me for a while'" should be punctuated with a question mark.

The line:

should say:
“Well, Kavitha,” I said, in a tone that resembles one of those HM guys you meet at a restaurant or a hotel, “I’d love to chat with you, but you know my coffee is finished and I can’t sit in a café without having coffee. It feels… undignified”

The line:

Should say:
“Oh I’ll order you some.” The witch was clever.

The line:

Should say:
“Kavitha, don’t you know coffee has caffeine? That is seriously very dangerous for your throat. My doctor strictly forbade me from having coffee and related products.” I smiled at her.

The line:

Should say:
Due to some unknown cause, she looked at me with an expression that is seen easily when your favorite batsman returns to the pavilion at ninety nine because the other lad at the runner’s end was too busy staring at some pretty cheerleader.

The line:
Yes with imli ki chatni or I’ll have to adjust with tomato ketchep.

Should say:
Yes, with imli ki chatni, or if I have to, tomato ketchup.
or
Yes, with imli ki chatni. No, I'll probably have to settle for tomato ketchup.

The line:
But on the way, I was extremely fortunate to meet my old old friends. The Cows.

Should say:
But on the way, I was extremely fortunate to meet my old, old friends, the cows.

The line:
They were walking towards me in those groups, people call herds, but to they looked more like a troop of soldiers marching to attack somebody.

Should say:
They were walking towards me in those groups people call herds, but to me they looked more like a troop of soldiers marching to attack somebody.

The line:

Should say:
I looked if there were any herdsmen. No. There are never.
or
I looked if there were any herdsmen. No. They are never there.

The line:

Should say:
Okay, okay, turning right was not a good idea. I encountered my even dearer friend, the barking black dog there. To my great relief he( I presume him to be ‘he’, if he is not ‘he’ then he should not be called ‘he’ but ‘she’) was chained.

The line:
Poor dog. Animals should not be treated like objects. But as equals.

Should say:
Poor dog. Animals should not be treated like objects, but as equals.

The line:
The Sharmas at 9-B AK Khanna Marg are real real creeps.

Should say:
The Sharmas at 9-B AK Khanna Marg are real, real creeps.

The line:
I decided to inform the environment ministry and the animal rights NGO, my mom works for one about this inhuman and ruthless treatment by the Sharmas!

Should say:
I decided to inform the environment ministry and the animal rights NGO my mom works for about this inhuman and ruthless treatment by the Sharmas!
or
I decided to inform the environment ministry and the animal rights NGO (my mom works for one) about this inhuman and ruthless treatment by the Sharmas!

The line:

Should say:
Having had the samosas and lectured my younger brother about the ill effects of having junk food and oily food, I bullied Aakash, texting him that if he did not get me the presentation tomorrow, I was going to hack his email and all other social media accounts.I then decided to write a strongly worded letter to the authorities.

The line:

Should say:
For instance, the Sharmas of 9-B AK Khanna Marg have been subjecting their pet dog to cruel, severe, and excruciating atrocities. Scarry, as he is known to be called, is a black coloured beagle who is starved and not allowed basic freedom that a dog is entitled to, and can be found chained to the Sharma’s garden pole in heat, cold, and rain all round the year.

The line:

Should say:
As a responsible citizen and an animal lover, I would request you to take appropriate action against the defaulters and rescue Scarry from the tormental conditions he is presently in.

The line:
There were loads of PETA volunteers, with playcards saying “ STOP CRUELTY AGAINST PETS” and “ PETS ARE YOUR FRIENDS NOT SLAVES”

Should say:
There were loads of PETA volunteers with placards saying “ STOP CRUELTY AGAINST PETS” and “ PETS ARE YOUR FRIENDS, NOT SLAVES”

Sorry for leaving such a lengthy review, but I hope it helps!

sorry, my review was submitted twice

AnimalQueen says...

This was a good story. I love to read from the point of veiw of someone in another country. Plus, I'm a total nature loving tree hugger, so this story is definitely for me! Please write a sequel!

Ishan212 says...

Thanks a lot AnimalQueen

Holysocks wrote a review...

Hello there!

It's certainly always nice to see short stories being posted. I feel like they're underrated and for some reason not as common these days. Though maybe I'm wrong.

Ishan is an interesting boy! I'm not entirely sure how I feel about him, to be honest. From what I understand of this story, he was doing a group project but didn't do his part, all he did was push the other people in his group to finish the project for him- under threat, even. On the other hand, there were some things I could relate with him on- namely the cow incident! :P Don't get me wrong, I grew up on a ranch with cows and all sorts of animals. But when you're out walking and a herd of strange cows are walking towards you... it can definitely be anxiety inducing, to say the least!

And right now my goal is to get the highest marks in the class.

This was kind of out of the blue. The project was never introduced, it was just stated as though we were already supposed to know about it. This happened a fair amount throughout the story actually, things would just be thrown at us without being introduced or explained, and we just had to figure it out for ourselves, which is not a great way to hook people into your writing. :P

“Yeah, Ishan I’ll be bringing it to you by tomorrow” there was a different kind of sweetness in her voice.

'Her'? Her who? This is a really good example of what I just mentioned above. We have absolutely no idea who is talking. Before you can use "her" in a story, the name of the character needs to be used (unless the MC doesn't know the character's name, in which case the character still needs to be introduced as 'some random lady the character doesn't know' or something, before 'her' is used).

with people like Kavitha and Akash in my group. Horrible. Really horrible.

Who are Kavitha and Akash? We never really get any information on them at all. We need some kind of information of how the MC knows these people, what their relationships are to the MC, etc! Otherwise they are literally just random names on a page. Who are they? And why is Ishan saying they're horrible? Thee things need to be made clear within the story, I'm not asking you to clarify out of the story.

But I knew how to tackle such witches.

Why is he calling her a witch? It kinda seems a bit dramatic for ishan to use that phrasing, unless it's a joke- in which case it needs to be a little clearer I think that it's humour! c:

she looked at me with an expression, that is seen easily when your favorite batsman returns to the pavilion at ninety nine because ethe other lad at the runner’s end was too busy staring some pretty cheerleader.

This is a very confusing paragraph. I didn't understand it at all the first time I read it! I have a real problem with making confusing sentences and stuff myself sometime, so don't worry- it's not a huge deal, it's just something to be aware of when you're proof reading. I'm not sure how exactly to fix that paragraph, but I think it could definitely use some re-working.

( I presume him to be ‘he’, if he is not ‘he’ then he should not be called ‘he’ but ‘she’) was chained.

This I found rather strange and irrelevant to the story. Most people know that if it's not a 'he' puppy, it's going to be a 'she'. We don't need that explained! It just slows down the story and makes us wonder why that's in the narrative.

Also, I found this story really meandered a lot. Random things would just pop up that didn't seem to fit with the original plot-line of the whole project thing being due. I guess ask yourself if theses things really add anything to the story and what it is you wanted to convey to the readers!

Anyway, keep it up! The world needs more short stories! :P

-Holysocks

More than anything she wanted the world to be uncomplicated, for right and wrong to be as easily divided as the black and white sections of an Oreo. But the world was not a cookie.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes