Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » General

Medical or Engineering or Law?

by Ishan212

Doctor, Engineer, Lawyer, Psychologist, Author, Actor even the President! These were some of the many vague dreams, I had as a kid or throughout my teenage years. Watching a movie in which a psychologist treats a split personality disorder patient( Indians, you can name the movie in the comments!), I would declare, “I want to become a psychologist”, or after being glued to the tv series, telling the tales of an adventurous lawyer(Indians, again!), I would go in saying, “It is a lawyer ,that I wish to become,or after reading an Ambraham Lincon biography, where on being asked by an old woman, and then later being laughed at, about his future aspirations, a young tall average American replies,” The President of the United States.”, I dreamt of assuming office in the Rashtrapati Bhavan. And after finishing off a diary titled, “Best Stories I ever Had”, a collection of stories, written by me, I was sure that I was going to be the next Nobel Laureate.

Well , this was what our lives go through all our childhood. That one question,

“ Beta Bade Hoke Kya Banoge”

(What do you wish to become in the future?), has been asked to us more than a million times, growing up.

So what was that I needed to pursue? Be a doctor, I was good in biology anyways, or go for Engineering, after all they have to study less than doctors, and earn much more!, or be an Advocate, fight cases, bring people justice, uphold the truth, but what was wrong in CA, work in company and make millions!!

Trillions and billion and millions of options available and a lot of advice! It was during my Class XII, school leaving Board Examinations, I realized that the field I needed to pursue was not that I was doing then. Finding the speed of an electron in an electromagnetic field, using the Lorent’z Force formula, F=qvBsinx, or predicting the name of the enzyme that will be used to get a compound with double number of atoms, than the reactant, in the reaction named, Wurt’z Reaction, was something I never really cared about,. It was then, after two years of hardwork, after dwelling into the subjects of Physics, Chemistry and Math, I was pretty sure, I’ve taken the wrong flight.

A little bit of introspection and looking back at my yester years, and reflecting on my personality, argumentative, keen for debates, critical, witty, highly opinionistic ( Oh My gosh, I just love praising myself!!), I decided to go for my childhood dream.

Wear a black coat, instead of a white one, determine the intensity and magnitude of crimes, not of a force applied on a photon in an magnetic field, predict conclusions, not the formulae of complexes made by the intermixing of “ two or more chemically non reacting substances, quote the Constitution, not some nineteenth century Western scientist, whose name is more difficult than his concept, I decided to pursue, guess what, you read it write neither Medical( I still get calls from biology group friends, asking for my NEET score!), no not Engineering( Well.. I sill cant spell it!), I decided to pursue LAW.

http://ishanthinks.home.blog

fraey wrote a review...

This is an interesting thing to read, but I don't think it reads quite as an article on academic terms. Maybe this would fit better under the "Other" category. ^^ Besides that, I figured I would try to give you some kind of review for this, but I'm not sure what kind of feedback you would like. I'll try a hand at a little bit of a few different things to go over.

First, in terms of formatting/coding. I'm not sure if you intended to make this whole essay bold, but I would suggest maybe limiting your use of bb code, primarily because it distracts the reader and detracts from what it's meant to be used for. In this case, if everything's bold, it reads as maybe something more argumentative or angry rather than something to celebrate, as you've figured out what you want to do in your life, which is great. Putting this as regular text would relax the reader's mind and eyes.

If this is meant to read as a personal essay, I would suggest changing the hook to perhaps the examples you give instead - as in, all of the ways you've been influenced by shows or films during your childhood. I think that's really sweet and probably pretty relatable on account of kids usually feeling like they want to do everything and anything once it gets into their mind. I do like seeing how your process worked, going through what you didn't like about a science degree/classes and then realizing what you really did want to do as a younger child. I'm a science major myself, but I can understand not enjoying all of those physics equations.

However, there are a few typos here and there, and some rather long sentences that are a bit harder to follow than shorter/neater ones. I think the biggest change to fix that would just turn your run-ons into shorter pieces, and flipping those commas into periods.

Good luck in your pursuit of a law degree. Hope things work out for you.

Ishan212 says...

Liberty wrote a review...

Heyyyy Ishan!

It's me, Liberty! Hope you've been doing well so far today or tonight, depending on what side of the world you're on. I'm here to give you a review! I think this is the first ever review I've given to you... Maybe. I'm not quite sure. But oh well. Let's start!

“It is a lawyer ,that I wish to become,or after reading an Ambraham Lincon biography, where on being asked by an old woman, and then later being laughed at, about his future aspirations, a young tall average American replies,”

Just one teeny weeny thing here, you spelt Abraham Lincoln's name wrong. I already gave you the correct spelling right there, lol. Anyways, that's it for this little bit. Onto the next part:

OH MY GOOOOOOOOSH SOOOOOOO TRUUUUUUUUUE. My parents, my mom's friends, my uncles, my aunts, my friends, my sisters too, they all ask me: What do you want to be when you grow up? And I'm like... C'mon, gimme a break! You've asked me literally five seconds ago! o.O

Lol, I can relate to that, and I love it so much.

Be a doctor, I was good in biology anyways, or go for Engineering, after all they have to study less than doctors, and earn much more!, or be an Advocate, fight cases, bring people justice, uphold the truth, but what was wrong in CA, work in company and make millions!!

A little thing here, related to your punctuation... You've got two punctuation marks there. It kinda confused me, because I didn't really understand how to read it. There were two ways I could've read it like.

1. ...and earn much more! Or be an Advocate...
2. ...and earn much more, or be an Advocate...

I'm pretty sure you meant to write it in that first way, but it's your article, so whatever you think is right, is right. Alright, moving on wards:

Wear a black coat, instead of a white one, determine the intensity and magnitude of crimes, not of a force applied on a photon in an magnetic field, predict conclusions, not the formulae of complexes made by the intermixing of “ two or more chemically non reacting substances, quote the Constitution, not some nineteenth century Western scientist, whose name is more difficult than his concept, I decided to pursue, guess what, you read it write neither Medical( I still get calls from biology group friends, asking for my NEET score!), no not Engineering( Well.. I sill cant spell it!),

I SWEAR TO GOD I ADORE HOW YOU SAY EVERYTHING HERE. Like, especially the first few words. Gosh, I couldn't have put it in better words! It's perfect, I tell ya! And then that last bit of humor at the end is so cute. Anyways, last thing:

I decided to pursue LAW.

:smt023 GO FOR IT, ISHAN!!! :smt023

That's it for today. My review's over. I hope this helped in one way or the other. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me whenever. Also, this was the first ever article/essay that I ever reviewed, so if I said something I shouldn't have, I apologize.

And as always...

~Liberty500

Ishan212 says...

Thank You Liberty500

Liberty says...

Not a problem. :)

I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart; I am, I am, I am.
— Sylvia Plath