z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Every INDIAN 00'S KID Will Relate To:

by Ishan212


  • Every 00’s INDIAN KID would relate to:
  • Childhood is the most beautiful part in one’s lifetime. These ten-fifteen years of our life witness the acceptance of our very existence and act as a road to the realization of the cause for our being on this planet This is the time when we cry, make friends and foes, fight, learn, discover, make mistakes, correct them…. and ENJOY LIFE THE MOST.
  • This is 2018. Most of the kids who dawned the second millennium are going to turn legally “mature” this year, at least in my case, I need to wait till December. So if you are another 00’s kid, living in India, tighten your seat belt and get ready for an emotional roller coaster ride. Here we go:
  • 1.AGE
  • (This came first to my mind, when I thought the uniqueness of our generation)
  • Well… seen your parents and uncles, thinking hard to remember how old they are?
  • In our case, we never faced and will never face this problem. A quick glance at the calendar tells us what our age. You know we 00’s kids go hand in hand with the millennium.
  • 2.Music:
  • Remember the old black slightly heavy cassette players, you had in your house in the early years of your existence. A typical example of the 90’s hangover.
  • Then came the CD players. We used get VCDs and DVDs of cartoon movies and sometimes some other from those CD Shops in the neighbourhood.
  • o“ ENTER DISC”

  • This was the message we all had seen on the box TVs we had during our growing years
  • Then we had the pen drives and everything changed. We are the generation, which has witnessed the transition from those radio like music players to pen drives and now to the indeed very smart smartphones.
  • Now almost everybody had this song on their lips, half of us not knowing what it meant.
  • o“Why this Kolaveri Kolaveri Kolaveri di”
  • Songs like “Jeene ke hai char din”, “Main hoon na”, “ Kal ho na ho”, “ Maa Tujhe Salam” penetrate deep into our soles enough to make us sing along.
  • And who can forget “Lungi Dance”, which became a national rage due to some cause I’ve still not figured out.
  • T.V Shows
  • The 00’s was the time in which Indian television undergone a complete metamorphosis.
  • From the old sarkari channel of Doordarshan, focus shifted to more appealing and by far more entertaining tv channels.

  • We can never forget this T.V show.
  • “Kuch to gadbad hai DAYA”
  • And this Crorepati Show had everybody glued to their TVs with their phones on, answering Big Bs questions on “Ghar Baithe Jeeto Jackpot”

And how can I miss cartoons:

  • Remember this old Cartoon Network Logo? Hu?

  • And Tom and Jerry….
  • HATS OFF TO THEM

`

  • And this bunny. He was so smartness, wit, humor and cleverness all packed into one. The Hindi voiceover made it even better.
  • And everybody had been scolded for watching this little five year old kid.
  • “Mera naam Shinchan Nohara hai aur mujhe shimla mirch bilkul pasand nhi hai”
  • It is a great mystery that he was five years old when we were five years old and now we are almost ready to vote but he is still a little five year old kid? Strange. Isnt it?
  • And this spectacled boy

  • This blue 22nd century robot.

  • o
  • Do you remember how was it?
  • “Doraemon. Doraemon Mujhe gadget do na”
  • {I assume you can imagine the voice, the original voice of Nobita}
  • And this guy.

  • Wait. Weren’t these two related.
  • One spectacled guy, a pretty girl he has a crush on , a robot to help him, a fat neighbourhood bully and a spoilt rich brat. A perfect recipe for a Japanese animation.
  • Those people took Pokemon off air when we were toddlers. Brought it back when were teens. Cruel. But you all remember the song don’t you?

“Ek Safar pe Nikla hoo main

GHoomonga charon disha

Har pokemon ki shakti hai khas

Usko hai samjhna”

  • And these lines.

“Duniya ko tabahi se bachane ke liye

  • Sabhin logon k eek saath lane ke liye

Sab ko batane ke liye hum kya karv skte hain

  • Poori Duniya ko apni muthi mein kar sakte hain.
  • Team Rocket

……………………………………………………………

………………………………………………………..

  • ………………………………………………………
  • (Fill in the blanks)
  • Who was this Octopus?

  • And this little guy who used to drive a taxi and sometimes even a plane?

  • And Bob The Builder. The song was something like this-

  • “Bob the Builder kar ke dikhayenge
  • Bob the Builder ………………………………….”(Fill in the blanks)
  • Toys and Games
  • Having this phone at our times was far too valuable than owning an iphone now.

  • Addicted to Clash of Clans or Candy Crush or Hay Day or whatever game you like. I bet this you’d played this game with more concentration and shiddat( I can’t find the correct English word for this).

  • True? Right?
  • Ever had a family game of carom?

  • Remember using talcum powder on the board?
  • Smiling? I know it!
  • These WWE cards.

  • Khali was rank 1 na?
  • And these cricket cards

  • Having a Tendulkar was like a golden chance to win.
  • Cricket in the neighbourhood

  • Ever collected money to buy a tennis ball? It costed Rs. 3O earlier then Rs. 40 and then Rs. 50.

  • Badminton.
  • The coolest kids on the block used to have these Yonex racquets.

  • Pretty expensive…

  • Politics and Cricket
  • For most of our growing years this face was the one recognized as the Prime Minister.

  • He was very shant. Quite. It’s the reverse now…….

  • And this man rose to prominence in front of our eyes.
  • I hope his khansi is a bit better now.
  • OMG! I wont say anything about him.

  • In fact no one can .
  • We are the generation fortunate enough to see God play and retire.
  • Also supported Captain Cool get this.

  • And this.

  • And this.

  • We were the ones who cheered for

  • And this

  • And this too

  • No matter in which part of India we lived, which language we spoke, we enjoyed the 00’s to the maximum we could. We are the generation that has seen the era without technology and are the firt ones who turn to Google for everything. The social media generation. But not mad after it like our predecessors. We are not the best. No not the best. But the most unique generation of all.
  • Ishan212


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 1788
Reviews: 20

Donate
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:16 am
maishaywca wrote a review...



Hey there!

I live in your neighboring country, Bangladesh! And you don't know how much the article matches with me!

I think you are right. I have seen the era without internet and smartphones. But my little brother can't think of a day without internet!

People's lives were different then. Pokemon, Bob the builder...uff...tumne to bachpan yaad kara diya.(Yes...I know Hindi!)

It was a wonderful article.

~Maisha




Ishan212 says...


Manisha
Same here!
I too have a younger brother who can not live without Google!
Glad to know you know Hindi.
Ammee Khushi Hoti...
(I'm rather too week in Bangla!)
Love from India



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:17 am
Mea wrote a review...



Hey there Ishan! I thought I'd drop by for a quick review on this Review Day. I'm not Indian, but I am a 00's kid, so we'll see how much I relate to this. :)

Reactions
-This is really interesting and I really like the idea. I do relate to some of these, but some of them I can't tell because I can't see the pictures, and others I don't know at all.

-Haha, it's so true that we don't have to do any work to remember our age! Unless we haven't had our birthday yet that year.

-I didn't know you had Bob the Builder in India! I definitely grew up watching it, but in English. The song went "Bob the Builder, can you fix it..." and now I have it stuck in my head. :P

-I'm not sure what you mean by "pen drives," but I think you mean the little portable storage things, we called them "thumb drives" or "flash drives."

-I unfortunately don't understand any of the lyrics not in English. Since you're writing this in English, you could consider providing a translated version of the lyrics, just for anyone else who might read it.

The biggest problem I had with this is that none of the pictures appear to be working! I don't know why they aren't working, but the article doesn't make nearly as much sense without the pictures. I don't know how you tried uploading the pictures, but check to make sure the link still works, or try re-uploading them. The best way to put pictures on here is to click on the little picture icon in the editor and upload the pictures directly.

Some smaller things I didn't understand:

He was very shant. Quite. It’s the reverse now…….

"Shan't" is a contraction of "shall not," which means pretty much the same thing as "will not", and doesn't make sense in this context.

Addicted to Clash of Clans or Candy Crush or Hay Day or whatever game you like. I bet this you’d played this game with more concentration and shiddat

More concentration than what? Than normal? Than people do these days? Also, I don't know what shiddat means, but I realize you couldn't find a translation.

And I think I'll leave it at that! This was definitely pretty interesting and I think it fits in well with the Buzzfeed type article that are just a cool way to look back on what makes us nostalgic. I hope you get the images working so I can see them. Good luck, and keep writing!




Ishan212 says...


Translations arriving soon...
And 'shant' means quite.
You'll get a pm soon.



User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 11482
Reviews: 351

Donate
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:47 am
Kanome wrote a review...



Hello, Ishan212. I am here to provide you a review in honor of Review Day. Let's get started, shall we?

Overall Opinion
I like informative essays. It helps me learn new things. Like, in your essay, India. I learned a little but about India. And I don't know really know what you're saying when you are speaking the language in your essay but it looks cool. Makes me want to learn the language. Also, I remember the old cartoons too! Haha, see? We have common ground here! And VHS tapes and all that! AMAZING.

Nitpicks and Stuff
For some reason, the images won't load up. You should fix that?

Conclusion
Amazing read! Reading essays is okay for me as long as it's informative. And I do relate to this in a way since I know some of the things you were talking about. Keep up the great work!
Keep writing ~

- Kanome




Ishan212 says...


Hindi is the language!
Fantastic review!




Alexa, are there European frat boys
— Carina