Romanian Fairy Tale

by Buranko

Awaken my master!
Draw your sword, grab a shield,
Clean the spear, sharpen the arrows,
A great battle is dawning.

Rivers of blood we shall pass,
Mountains we shall destroy,
Defeat the guards we will
And get our stolen beauty back.

A dark cloud kidnapped
And took her into unknown worlds
However, be it at the end of the world
We shall get her back.

Come on master
Feed me fire
So I can be fierce
Feed me ice
So I can be ruthless.

Should we succeed
Great riches await us
A beauty to be wife
And kingdoms to rule.

------------------------------------

A.N. 

So to give you guys some context. In romanian folklore fairy tales 90% of them follow the same action: hero gets magic horse in order to save a princess kidnapped by a strong monster, some sort of ogre but a lot smarter. The horse is the most important aid in completing this quest. He is fast,strong, with useful powers and the hero is just rsally physically strong and durable. In  a way the horse  does everything.

MoonIris wrote a review...

Hi Buranko,
I'm MoonIris and I'm here with a review. Let me start by saying that I am Romanian and I grew up with these stories so reading this is extremely exciting for me, mostly because it's not about Dracula.
I will start with the context that you gave us. I love how you summarised the stories, and you are right, that's how they go. The horse is the most important. We compare the beauty and the courage of the horse to people on a daily basis. Furthermore, kings are pretty much always represented on horses in statues and paintings. Also, a fun fact we rarely call them fairytales. Fairytales are normally the stories that aren't Romanian. The Romanian stories are called immortal stories.
As for the poem I really liked it. To be fair the dramatic beginning illustrates well the stories. The fourth stanza was my favorite. My first folklore story was the one where the horse eats coal which I guess it's the one you illustrated here. The poem was vivid and took me back to a few years ago when I discovered these stories.
That's all for my review. I hope you have an amazing day/afternoon/night,
MI

Buranko says...

I am also romanian kekw, I don't like the idea of calling them immortal stories just because I can't see them as a story. A fairytale is much more magical than a story.

MoonIris says...

I totally agree. :)

Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:19 am
Euphory wrote a review...

YES FOLKLORE POEMS THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING! And I have to say this is a freaking good one. One thing that stood out to me was the poem opener.

"Awaken my master!"

I got really pumped up the moment I read that. (And I continued reading it loudly with a British accent just because I was so thrilled with it!)

My favourite stanza was:

"Feed me fire
So I can be fierce
Feed me ice
So I can be ruthless."

And the fact that it's from a horse's POV makes this all the more unique to me! Go horses! It's awesome to read something that isn't from the hero's view.

I'm not the best poet so take my suggestion with a grain of salt, I think if the second and third stanzas were interchanged (that is, if the rivers of blood stanza came after the dark cloud kidnapped stanza) it would be more orderly: we understand that the problem is that the beauty was kidnapped first and then second we see the journey the horse and hero have to go through to get her back. (Not sure if I was able to explain it well lol)

All in all, absolutely adore this. Thanks for sharing and keep at your poetry! <3

Buranko says...

Yea chronologically the monster takes the girl first, usually disguised as a cloud, then the hard journey comes. Your suggestion is good, i am too lazy to change xD

Euphory says...

XD

Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:03 pm
yumkit wrote a review...

i'm a sucker for folklore and fairy tales and i cannot express how excited i was to find a poem about it.
i loved the overall rhythm of the poem, the way the lines are separated give the whole flow a really great beat. and the fact that it was from the point of view of a horse (if i understood correctly, if not, i'm so sorry for sounding dumb) just made it so much more better.
the only part of the poem that was a little bit off beat to me was the "Clean the spear, sharpen the arrows /
A great battle is dawning."
but i'm not an expert at all, and if it was purposeful, ignore me.
all in all, i absolutely adored the ideas and the feeling of telling a story through a poem. good day!

Buranko says...

God damn dude don't apologise that much. Any opinion is accepted. Yep I did make it from the horse's perspective. Thanks for reviewing have a great weekend

So verily with the hardship, there is a relief, verily with the hardship, there is a relief.
— Quran Ch 94:5-6