z

Young Writers Society



Byzantine music

by Buranko


When God banished the
First humans from the Divine Garden
He left them in great sorrow and despair.
Bitter tears worn out their faces.
Everything seemed lost.

But the Almighty God
Always merciful, who loves
Even the worst sinner
Couldn't just take everything away from his creation.
So, besides hope, He left music
As an infinitely small taste of heavens themselves

Here I sit in an old wooden chair.
Livid steam along with joyfull bells
Call us to pray.

In a small corner five men
With gray beards that float gently
Over their chests,
Dressed in long black clothes,
Humbly bow their heads.

A shy humming starts
The divine hymn- The Trisagion.
It gently melts on our souls,
It embraces them and it holds them tight.
Angels bring the prayers
To the All Mighty Lord.

Listening to these
Time just stops,
The space around revolves around this small church.
Ahh Lord, if this is only a small taste of the Heavens,
How much greater can it be out there?
God have mercy on our sinful souls.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1228 Reviews


Points: 144350
Reviews: 1228

Donate
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:54 am
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



Ah I was going to review this when I first saw this but am just getting to now!

I love spiritual poetry so was so happy to see this, and then Byzantine Music?? Are you Greek Orthodox by chance? I studied the Greek Orthodox church for a year and actually wrote a chapter for a interfaith book on an Orthodox-Christian community so am very excited by that - they have such an immersive, meaningful liturgy that I have very deep respect for.

So let's get to the poem!

Bitter tears worn out their faces.

There's something that doesn't quite work for that line, I think "wore" out their faces? or "worn on their faces" would fit better.

Couldn't just take everything away from his creation.
So, besides hope, He left music

If you capitalize "He" you should capitalize "his" -> you can definitely do either depending on your preference for referring to the Divine, but it should be consistent within the piece.

Similarly in one place you use "almighty" and later you say "all mighty" and I think it feels a bit inconsistent, so I'd choose one or the other rather than flip flop.

Livid steam along with joyfull bells

"joyfull" should probably be "joyful" or if you were going for a pun "joy-full". And I'm not sure "livid stream along with joyful bells" makes sense? Are you using "stream" as a verb? Is "livid" being used as a noun? I'm not sure what's going on in that line.

How much greater can it be out there?

I'd choose something a bit more specific than "out there" something more vivid and descriptive.

Overall you did a nice job highlighting this idea that music is a gift from the divine for us to have a foretaste of heaven ~ you also were able to weave in Biblical, modern, and eschatological implications for music which was a neat progression that I really enjoyed.

I'd love more descriptions of the music throughout the piece; I know music in particular is hard to describe, but I bet if you work at it and really brainstorm you can think of some descriptions. There is the echo of the sanctuary, the hums and stops, the out-of-tune congregant who joins in too soon, but just as joyfully as the chanters! You did a lovely job describing the clergy or chanters? not sure what they were in the 4th stanza but I think could fill in a bit those descriptions of music because it is the focus of the poem afterall!

Lovely theological reflection of God's mercy throughout the piece by the way, that was nicely bookended in the poem with it at the beginning and end.

I think another think you could take a second look at is the line breaks and line-length consistency. For a poem about music, you definitely want your poem to flow nicely, and making the line lengths more consistent will assist that!

Overall, this was a lovely happy little poem to read. And definitely reminded me of both my own church and my experiences listening to the ancient melodies of Byzantine chanting.

All the best,

~alliyah




Buranko says...


Yup I am a Orthodox, really proud of it and my parents bringing me up in its spirit. My father is a priest, my mother a religion teacher and out of three children I am the only one passioned about it.
You said you didn't understand the phrase livid stream. Well you read it wrong it is livid steam, no r between the letters. And the thing with not capitalizing every pronoun related to God is my bad, I forgot about it. Thanks for reviewing !



alliyah says...


Ah very neat! I'm also part of a clergy family, so know how that goes. :) And yep you are right I totally misread steam/stream there, whoops!



Buranko says...


Heh congrats on gold user. I had no idea there is such a thing as Greek Orthodox. Gotta check this. Fun fact this poem is related to Greece, Athos Mountain, so maybe I am Greek Orthodox



User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:01 pm
View Likes
Elinor wrote a review...



Hi Buranko!

Welcome to YWS! I hope you've been enjoying your time here so far. My name is Elinor, and I thought that I would drop by to give your poem a quick review. I quite liked this poem, as I'm a sucker for poems and songs with biblical imagery, and because the story of Adam and Eve is my favorite from the Bible.

I'm not as familiar with Byzantine lore/culture, but overall, I really like what you do and how this story unfolds, and especially how you bring in the idea of the music into this poem. Overall, I thought this had a nice rhythm and flow. If I had a main comment, it would be that
I wanted more of a sense of imagery. This poem already has a narrative feel, and I think it could have been longer. Bring us back to the exile from the Garden of Eden. Make the reader feel like we're there.

Overall, I thought you did a nice job, and I'm curious to see what you do with this poem.

Hope this helps! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions, and keep writing.

Best,
Elinor




Buranko says...


Well I am certainly enjoying my time here. Thanks for reviewing. I didn't work with imagery as much as some wanted because I tried to talk about the byzantine music. It was a poem where I tried my best to describe what I felt listening to it. I incorporated the myth of Adam and Eve just as a support for the main idea, not focus on them. I disagree with bringing the reader into the Eden Garden with imagery, and get you as a reader even higher. Eyes cannot perceive everything if you know what I mean. Music isn't something visible, it is something you listen to and has a certain effect on your soul.



User avatar


Points: 133
Reviews: 2

Donate
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:21 pm
Divyansh Dubey says...



Hi, Buranko
This particular peace of work creates a certain type of peace in the reader's mind. The imagery you have used is just adorable.
It has a soothing effect on the reader.When you read a bit of it you come in a flow and wish it goes on for always.I look forward to reading more of your work. Keep writing.
Divyansh




User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 911
Reviews: 62

Donate
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:37 pm
View Likes
ThePatchworkPilgrims wrote a review...



Ave Buranko!
We were just strolling through the Green Room, when this poem popped up (actually just refreshed the Green Room a couple times, but let us dream) Being a fan of Byzantine/Ecumenical/Chanting music, we were drawn to the name, and decided to drop you a short review.

Since there's not much to correct, we'll keep this relatively short.

infinitely small taste of the heavens


We think you may have forgotten a "the" here (especially seeing as you refer to it as "the Heavens" near the end) We'd suggest either adding a "the" (if you stick with plural "heavens"), or capitalizing a singular "Heaven" (small taste of Heaven itself/small taste of the Heavens themselves)

The space around revolves around


Double "around", which reads very odd. This may be alleviated by changing the second "around" to another preposition (like "in"). Revolve already implies that it's surrounding/circling, so the second around isn't necessary.

On to interpretation and flow.
This poem had a reasonably nice flow to it, leading nicely into the next lines where necessary, and the breaks feeling natural. It's not a standard "verse poem", so it can't really be critiqued for following a unique flow and rhythm, which actually benefits the content, yet still retains that lyrical nature of poetry, which adds to this music/prayer imagery.

As a deist (meaning we believe in a higher power, just not any religious interpretation of such a being/s) we can't really speak about any religious significance, but the imagery you used is simple yet elegant, and adds a vivid depiction in our mind, which makes reading the poem a joy. Your choice of verbs, and adverbs/adjectives, lends a serene/tenderness to it, but not too wishy-washy to make it feel... uncomfortable to read as a non-Christian (meaning this can be read easily by most, if not all religious denomination individuals, and they feel a familiarity with their own faith in your words. At least that's our opinion)

All in all, this was an elegant, and sincere short poem, and we're glad we refreshed our webpage when we did to read it.

Until we meet again,
The Patchwork Pilgrims




Buranko says...


Ayy thanks for the kind words! One question: your user says Pilgrims and throughout the review you used the 1st person plural form of the pronoun. Is it a stylistic choice or are you more people under the same account?





Hey Buranko. We are actually one physical body, with several people (we have a disorder known as OSDD, which basically one of the two disorders that used to be called Multiple Personalities Disorder)
If you're interested in it a bit more, you can either go read our post on our wall about it (was around the start of September 2020), or you can PM us directly :)




Stupid risks make life worth living.
— Homer Simpson