z

Young Writers Society


12+

We Are the Cowards

by Biluata


Look at this heart shaped wreckage, what have we done?

We all have scars from battles nobody won.

Heart are breaking, tears are falling,

All this hope is slowly dying.

Nobody helps the broken, the burned,

These nightmares we have, these nightmares we earned.

Pretend to be proud of stripes of blood,

Never our own, but the never ending flood.

Cowards, we know, cowards we are

Responsible for every death, and every scar.

Too afraid to stand, too afraid to fall,

So here we stand as cowards, straight and tall.

The blood of the innocent, we miss the purity,

We lose our imagination, lose our security.

The worst ideas come true, the air filled with scream after scream,

All that sorrow, utter sorrow, ripping, tearing through every dream.

We tell ourselves, it’s for the good of the people,

To fight and kill, raise the cry from every steeple.

We with our commanders, we with a gun,

Hiding, to shoot down those who dare to run.

We are the monsters, we know it all too well,

To the devil, our souls, we always sell.

Pretend to be proud of stripes of blood,

Never our own, but the never ending flood.

Cowards, we know, cowards we are,

Responsible for every death and every scar.

Too afraid to stand, too afraid to fall,

So here we stand as cowards, straight and tall.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
111 Reviews


Points: 8421
Reviews: 111

Donate
Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:07 am
MissLyricz wrote a review...



I must say, you are extremely talented, my friend. You are clearly a deep thinker and can express that through the very insightful words you write.

This was an incredible writing piece and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! It was well written and the fact that you repeated a couple of previous lines at the end only added to the theme of the poem and the vital message you were trying to send to your potential readers.

Well done with the composition of this poem, it was a wonderful read!


MissLyricz x




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 965
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:01 pm
catmuffin wrote a review...



Hi there *waves* it's muffy (or cat or catmuff)

First off, Love the idea in general. And for someone your age to be able to write something like this? Outstanding.

Of course I see quite a few mistakes (which Ashkitten83 already fixed) but I love how you talk about how they feel. People always see the germans during that time as heartless and souless monsters but in fact, most of the german population didn;t even know about the concentration camps til the end of the war.

And of course let's not forget about that one general who saved a pregnant woman because he knew that one day everyone would judge them for following orders.

Anyways I'm probably boring you with the history talk. You have quite the talent for poetry and I respect that you use it properly. The only advice that I can give to you is to keep on practicing, keep on writing and of course, always ALWAYS proofread over and over again.

Now that that's done, let us thus eat cookies :D

(::) (::) (::) (::) (::) (::)




catmuffin says...


sorry
(::)(::)(::)(::)



Biluata says...


lolz, thank you, of course, I'm really bad at proofreading . . I need an EDITOR! :(



User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 194
Reviews: 38

Donate
Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:07 pm
Ashkitten83 says...



I don't have a bunch of time to make this grammatical review but you requested it so here it is...

Heart should be hearts.

I'd put a period after burned.
I'd change pretend to pretending because you use ing on falling, breaking, and dying.
I'd put quotation marks on "its for the good of the people" because it's something they are telling themselves.
A period after we know it all too well.
And again I'd change pretend to pretending. I didn't want to be so harsh on the grammatical errors because this is such an amazing piece that even if it were missing punctuation completely, it would speak to me, which a poem can rarely do that just so you know.




User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 194
Reviews: 38

Donate
Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:38 pm
Ashkitten83 wrote a review...



Ok so let me just tell you that you have the most talent I've ever seen in a 14 year old. I'm amazed at how flawlessly it flowed and the words pierced right into my heart. I wrote a piece like this once a long time ago, it was more of a lament really but I LOVE that you saw an event that most people write about a lot even to this day, from a different perspective. Keep thinking like this and you will go far!!! To have written a poem about the holocaust in the nazi guards perspective, just blows me away. let me tell you, the fact that you made me tear up and feel sorry for a nazi guard says something. Enter this into a school contest. Writing is your gift. The fact that you executed the poem with such verbal ease yet pulled out every emotional response possible, it really radiates brilliance!!! I can't believe, this amount of pure talent came from a 14 yr old. I'm just speechless. Wow!!




Biluata says...


Oh geez, you're making me blush! Thank you for your amazingly nice comment! I have entered other poems in several competitions, but never won anything . . . but that's okay!



Biluata says...


Oh geez, you're making me blush! Thank you for your amazingly nice comment! I have entered other poems in several competitions, but never won anything . . . but that's okay!



User avatar
73 Reviews


Points: 26
Reviews: 73

Donate
Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:34 am
Authorian wrote a review...



First of all, woah.
Second of all, WOAH.
This is simply beautiful, it really feels like the Nazis speaking. Not just one, but as a collective. It fits with many scenarios, but is definetely made for World War Two. It was enjoyable, but not to difficult, to piece apart the meaning of each line. And it makes you think. I love these pieces that make you think about the war(s). It shocks you into the horror that humanity thrust upon the world.
Overall, lovely to read, well written. Not any nitpicks, except it did seem a little long. Maybe remove some of the necessary lines, but that may just be me...
Thank you!!!!
~~Authorian




miholder says...


Thank you so much for your comment! I've been part of this website for a little bit, not long, but this is the first piece I have submitted and to get such an encouraging comment is . . . amazing. Thank you again! :D I will gladly take into consideration the length of my poems!



User avatar
61 Reviews


Points: 1155
Reviews: 61

Donate
Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:03 am
hermione315 wrote a review...



This is very beautiful and realistic, the best work of literature I've seen written about the Nazi's in World War Two by far. You brought out the point that not all of the Nazi's were supportive of killing people in concentration camps. Many of them were just frightened, doing what they thought they had to do to survive. It was their cowardice, not necessarily hatred, that killed millions of people. You did an excellent job describing this in your poem. My favorite line is the one you repeat several times.

"Too afraid to stand, too afraid to fall, So here we stand as cowards, straight and tall."

Much of the time, when people stand for an evil cause, they stand straight and tall. They're trying to convince themselves that what they're doing is the right thing. It's cowardly, and quite tragic. Very sad. I enjoyed your poem a lot and I can't wait to read more by you. Keep writing! :)

There was one thing that I saw you might want to edit in your poem.

"Cowards, we know, cowards we are Responsible for every death and every scar."

After the word 'are' you should put a comma. Whenever I read it I found myself naturally pausing at that place, and when you look at the lines side by side, it just looks like there should be one there. Other than that, I couldn't find a thing wrong with your poem. Good job!




miholder says...


As in my reply to the comment before yours, thank you for such an encouraging comment and thank you for pointing out my grammatical error. It is very encouraging to get such nice comments!




The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451