New Age

by Anamel

Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:14 pm
FlamingHomosexual wrote a review...

This looks like something I’d find in a spiritual poetry book. I love your use of an extended vocabulary, and the italics really give it some style.
I’m very spiritual myself, so this was refreshing to read on a sight with a lot of people who don’t know what these things are.
Idk about that last line tho...seems kinda random.

Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:18 am
izzywidgeon wrote a review...

I don't really know what to quite say about this. I'm not sure if this is in reference to today's society, or the past, but I understand what you mean, I think? Culture is often stripped by Americans, and reformed into what it isn't. It's always apparent in today's society, causing a lot of tension. That much is true. Your language is very, very mature, and I was pleasantly surprised by the boldness of this line in particular;
"Bow to the white-tongued Westerner whose stolen our language."

It's unapologetic, and bold, along with the rest of of this, but I picked this one specifically because it, (at least in my eyes) shows how history is often pushed down, like a skeleton in the closet and the centuries worth of anger and pain by generations of those who were discriminated again, and the entirety of this poem is an anthem of strength.
In all, I really, really liked this piece. I'm not one to like poems that use flowery language, but you use it in a way that gets to the point. You certainly do have a gift, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. As a person of color, I stand with the message you're trying to convey. (I hope).

I hope this review managed to help you in some way, though there was very little that I thought needed a thorough critique.

Cheers!

-MintyLeaf <3

I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
— John Cage