z

Young Writers Society

Squills 9/3/23

Reviews: 0
Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:30 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns. And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editor-in-Chief
Shady
(they/them)

General Editor
Omni
(she/her)

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot
(beep/boop)

Literary Reporter
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporters
looseleaf
(she/her)

lliyah
(she/her)

Creativity Reporter
FruityBickel
(he/him)

Poetry Enchantress
lliyah
(she/her)

Resources Reporter

Roleplay Reporters
winterwolf0100
(he/she/they)

Shady
(they/them)

Code Master
Spearmint
(she/her)

General Reporters

Staff Chef
LadySpark
(she/her)

Ghost Reporter
IcyFlame
(she/her)

Liminality
(she/her)

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff -- we also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, you can apply to become a journalist by submitting a sample article to SquillsBot today!

Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:32 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FUN AND GAMES: ICON PUZZLE
written by alliyah < PM: >

Recently, @Spearmint introduced YWS to some newly discovered icons that can be used on the site with the [*icon*] tag! You can read more here or consult the Big Book of YWS Codes for more information. Icons are an awesome way to add some personality to your posts and comments - so they're definitely fun to check out. I even started a cute little hashtag that you can jump into if you want to practice leaving a few icons on your friend's walls (#LeaveAnIconOnSomonesWallChallenge) and yes the spelling mistake there is totally intentional... <.< anyways! I thought a good chance for us to use these new icons would be to use them with a little puzzle to solve! Check out the icons below and see if you can solve the mystery message - if you let me know the message successfully before the next Squills issue is out I'll send you 150 points for your efforts!

CODE KEY

A
B
D
E
F
G
I
K
L
N
O
P
R
S
T
U
V
W
Y
(space)

SECRET MESSAGE

Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:33 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW: GENGARISBESTBOY
written by Liminality< PM: >

You likely know @GengarIsBestBoy for their funny wall posts, their reviews, or their literary works. They're active in many areas of the site, including the Art and Photography forums, the People's Tab, the Randomosity forums - and more! Gengar joined us at the beginning of this year and was selected as FM in June. We had the chance to chat about being chosen as FM, their favourite parts of YWS, and their writing projects.

Squills: Hi Gengar! Hope you're doing well! I'm reporting for Squills, the YWS newsletter, which does a column interviewing Featured Members. Would it be alright if I asked you a few questions?

GengarIsBestBoy: Sure, it'd be okay!

S: That's great to hear! Could you tell us about your reaction when you first found out you were Featured Member?

G: I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least; I didn’t really see it coming at all!

S: On reflection, is there something you think that earned you FM?

G: I think it may be my ability to make people laugh; people have told me that they love my people’s tabs posts because I always make them laugh!

S: You certainly have a great sense of humor! Would you say you have a favorite part of YWS?

G: Besides the people’s tab, I like Randomosity threads such as Last Person to Post Here Wins and Baiting Mage into Playing With Us. You just never know what’s going to happen next!

I also like seeing people’s art over in the Art & Photography forums, and even have a thread of my own where I show off my paper dragons!

S: That's awesome! :D Would you like to tell us a bit more about your current art and writing projects?

G: My current novel is called Not My Circus!

It’s about a guy named Keith who, due to an incident at an abandoned factory, mutates into an adorable clown! Now he’s facing all sorts of problems: wacky powers, an annoying sidekick, and a rift in the space-time continuum. All kinds of creatures from across the multiverse have become misplaced; space criminals have escaped from space jail; and, worst of all, there’s a powerful cyborg on the loose who conquers dimensions and wipes them of all originality.

Keith has to fix this somehow, but he’s no superhero; he’s just a regular guy who wants to live a regular life!

S: That sounds like a fascinating story! Finally, what advice would you give to your fellow YWSers?

G: I’d like to say this: you oftentimes see discussion forums on other sites like “which tropes do you dislike?” or “which tropes get on your nerves?” And sometimes you may see people talk about tropes that you like to read/write. Don’t get discouraged; people often like to focus on negatives more than positives, and people may not go out of their way to say “i really like when people do [thing]!”

Write what makes you happy! You should enjoy writing and not have to limit yourself because of doubt!

S: That's a great piece of advice! Thank you so much for doing this interview, Gengar!

If you’ve yet to do so, congratulate Gengar on their FM thread or on their wall!

Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:35 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

COSY AUTUMN READS

written by IcyFlame< PM: >

As (for most of us on YWS) the wind chills and the leaves prepare to change, there’s no better time to curl up with a good book. Whether you're seeking cosy mysteries or craving spooky novels for Halloween, this list of books will be a great place to start. Embrace the warmth of the season and delve into these pages. Hot drink mandatory.

The Night Circus
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Unlike other books, this one will leave you stunned when you reach the end and you'll have to go back and start it again! Through it all, there's magic and beauty and strangeness and we want to marvel at its impossibility.
All around him, lights are popping to life along the tents, flickering like fireflies

The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches
A warm and uplifting novel about an isolated witch whose opportunity to embrace a quirky new family - and a new love - changes the course of her life. This book is like a giant hug, with plenty of potions, spells and a healthy splash of found family.

The Thursday Murder Club
In a peaceful retirement village, four unlikely friends meet up once a week to investigate unsolved murders. If you've a love for unconventional heroes, or you've ever read one of @BluesClues' novels, you'll love Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim and Roy as they find themselves in the middle of their first live case.

Under the Whispering Door
A ghost who refuses to cross and the ferryman he falls in love with. Welcome to Charon's Crossing. The tea is hot, the scones are fresh and the dead are just passing through. When a reaper comes to collect Wallace from his own funeral, Wallace begins to suspect he might be dead. And when Hugo, the owner of a peculiar tea shop, promises to help him cross over, Wallace decides he's definitely dead. An uplifting and wonderful story that's just so wholesome it's perfect for this list.

The Keeper of Enchanted Rooms
1846. Merritt Fernsby gets a shock when he learns his estranged grandmother has left him a remote estate named Whimbrel House. The property has been vacant for more than a century, but with no choice, Merritt moves in. However, he soon learns his new house has locked him in and has no intention of ever letting him out. Charming characters, a simple but sweet narrative and two timelines! The characters make this one, and the vibes are ideal for autumn.

The Princess Bride
A classic for a reason. William Goulding seamlessly blends adventure, romance and humour and if you haven't read this one before put it at the top of your list! Within these pages you'll be transported to a world of swashbuckling pirates, daring rescues and true love that transcends time. It's an epic quest with a witty narrative that has enchanted readers for generations for a reason.
As you wish

Are you planning to read any of these this autumn? What others are on your list? Let us know!

Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:36 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

QUIZ: SNOW POEM RECOMMENDATIONS
written by Liminality< PM: >

Growing up near the equator, I’ve never seen snow in person before. Most of my experience with snow comes from novels, video games, movies and, of course, poems. Allegedly, snow is white and rather magical. It is made from tiny ice crystals, and might sometimes be soft, and other times, not so much. Take this quiz to have a poem recommended to you that involves a description of snow. (Loosely based on the kind of person you are, or the mood you’re feeling.)

1. Do you write New Year’s Resolutions?
    a) Yes, but I keep changing them.
    b) Yes, and I put on them to be more honest about the way I feel.
    c) Yes, and I put it on them to treasure the people I love.
    d) Yes – I’m very consistent with them.
    e) No, thanks.
    f) Yes, but it feels like such a chore.

2. What’s your favourite thing to do on YWS out of these?
    a) Take care of the Egg.
    b) Talk about life on my wall.
    c) Chat with people in pads or in the forums.
    d) Log my writing.
    e) Send hugs and <3s.
    f) Participate in rhythmic poetry Writing Activities.

3. Many poems involving snow are nature-focused. Which of the following nature motifs appeals to you?
    a) Mountains
    b) Rainfall or snowfall
    c) Melting snow or ice
    d) Night time
    e) Clouds
    f) Forests

4. What do you prefer to write? What strikes you as fun at this moment?
    a) Microfiction
    b) Concrete poetry
    c) Tragedy
    d) Any prose
    e) An allegory
    f) A song or ballad

5. Pick a non-snowy colour with its connotations.
    a) Red: danger, fear, action
    b) Brown: earthiness, natural, muted
    c) Orange: passion, sunset, warmth
    d) Black: death, darkness, mystery
    e) Yellow: clarity, positivity, hope
    f) Blue: depth, tranquility, understanding

Answers

Tally up the number of each letter you answered. The highest one (or highest two) will be the poems you should read for a snowy season.

a) Tess Gallagher “Choices” (nerve-wracking but also nature-loving)
    Read it here.
    You could be feeling like you’re constantly in motion, thoughts moving this way and that. This poem, with its focus on a realization amidst working in nature, may suit your tastes.

b) Henry Wadsworth Longfellow “Snow-Flakes”
    Read it here.
    You may be feeling a little sad and reflective. This poem sighs like a snowy morning in a film. You might enjoy it.

c) Claude McKay “The Snow Fairy”
    Read it here.
    You could be a little bit Romantic with a capital ‘R’, or just in the mood for something a little dramatic generally. You might find this piece to your liking – it is more than meets the eye.

d) Mark Strand “Lines for Winter”
    Read it here.
    Maybe you’re a determined person, or a relentless one. Perhaps you’re also feeling a little morbid. If so, this poem may be the right one for you.

e) Mary Oliver “White-Eyes”
    Read it here.
    You may be in the mood for something hopeful, more of a bright winter morning than a dark silent night. For an airy poem, read this one.

f) Robert Frost “Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening”
    Read it here.
    Perhaps you’re tired, feeling a little melancholy, thinking things over. You might find this piece soothing or relatable.

Have a quibble about your result? Just want to let someone know what you got? Come talk to me on my Author’s Page.

Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:37 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

No Shameless Plugs this week :(

Please send us yours!

Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:38 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@Shady@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen@crossroads@neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha@Rook@Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau@wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@KaiTheGreater@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia@Omni@Morrigan@AfterTheStorm@BrumalHunter@Arcticus@Wolfi@Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505@ExOmelas@SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian@TinkerTwaggy@kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake@rainforest@Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback@Que@BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity@BluesClues • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings@TheLittlePrince@TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123@Mageheart@Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim@Kazumi@inktopus@OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat@Mathy@Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor@fishsashimi@TheWeirdoFromBeyond@shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess@Starve@JosephHGeorge@Amabilia@Fantascifi66@paperforest@alliyah@Lib@Dossereana@atlast@EverLight@AlyTheBookworm@mckaylaam@JesseWrites@lillianna@IcyFlame@writingbright@RadDog13579@Euphory@LUNARGIRL@yosh@momonster@rida • @starshipgirl • @ForeverYoung299@MailicedeNamedy@RandomTalks@QueenMadrose • @Phillauthet@MC • @Zyria • @OrabellaAvenue

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal biweekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let them know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

The best and most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
— Helen Keller