z

Young Writers Society

Squills 4/10/22 - 5/1/22

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:28 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!
What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.
And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editor-in-Chief
Brigadier

General Editors
EternalRain
Liberty

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot
PlanBot

Literary Reporter
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporter
LZPianoGirl
Liebensteiner

New BloodHound
ShadowVyper

Creativity Reporter
Squid

Poetry Enchantress
alliyah

Resources Reporter

Storybooks Status Reporter
winterwolf0100

Writer's World Columnist

Social Correspondent
EternalRain

Code Master
Spearmint

General Reporters
IcyFlame
ChesTacos

Ghost Reporters
neptune
Asith
yellow
Charm

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

You can apply to become a Squillian Journalist by submitting a sample article to SquillsBot today!

Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:29 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

CHIEF'S GIF OF THE WEEK

Written by Brigadier < PM: >

[formerly: SOME SUPER SERIOUS BUSINESS]

Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:31 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW: VENGEFULREAPER
written by Liminality< PM: >

This Featured Member is known for writing detailed reviews. They give excellent feedback on characterization and plot. On top of that, they have been working on their sci-fi action/adventure novel, ’The Lie that Saved the World’. Though they joined us quite recently in January this year, they became FM on the 9th of March. As of now, they are already on their second review star! That’s right, in this issue of Squills, we will hear from @VengefulReaper on what it was like getting FM, what they enjoy reviewing most and what tips they have to offer aspiring future FMs.

Squills: Hi there, VengefulReaper! I'm a reporter for Squills, the YWS newsletter. We have a regular column where we interview Featured Members. Would you be okay with answering a few questions? c:

VengefulReaper: Sure! I’d be happy to answer a few questions.

S: That's great to hear! Could you share what your initial reaction was when you found out you were FM?

V: I’ll be honest, I didn’t even know FM existed until I got it. Nevertheless, I was quite surprised and at same time excited. It’s always exciting to get a new award like FM.

S: I can imagine it must have been particularly surprising since that was your first introduction to FM! What do you think might have earned you the award?

V: I think it was a combination of consistently reviewing others’ works while also publishing works of my own. I think interacting with the community on my wall could have helped too.

S: Those are definitely the marks of an FM! Is there a particular kind of work you enjoy writing and posting on the site? How about reviewing?

V: I really like reviewing fantasy/sci-fi/action-adventure novels. It's my favorite genre to read. I'm not a very good critic (nor do I like to do it) when it comes to grammar and style so I really like picking up a series an author here is posting and following it. Most of my feedback is plot and character-based. I also post my own book I am working on (though very inconsistently).

S: That is a really fun genre. :D Finally, do you have any advice for YWSers who might want to become FM?

V: This is my first time getting the award of FM so all I can say to those wanting to achieve it is:

1. Try and post regularly. It doesn't have to be novel chapters. It can be reviews or forum posts too. (I realize how hypocritical I sound right now since I haven't posted a review here in ages xD)

2. When you do give reviews, give the authors a mix of your thoughts and criticism. Just thoughts don't give the author constructive criticism to improve and constant nitpicking can bog them down too. Try to find a balance of positives and negatives.

3. When you post chapters, let people know about them on your wall. Maybe even tag members who have previously reviewed your work if they said they are interested.

4. Don't make your wall a place only for marketing. If you have a funny experience writing, suffering from writers' block or you've found a cool article that can help new authors, post them there too. It's a way to keep in touch with the community (outside of forums of course)

S: That is some wonderfully organized advice! Thank you so much for doing this interview and congrats once again on FM!

Join us in congratulating VengefulReaper (if you have not already done so) on their FM thread or on their wall!

Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:33 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ROLEPLAYING: AN INTRODUCTION
written by winterwolf0100 < PM: >

Hey Squills Readers!

The world of roleplaying was the main thing that drew me into YWS as a new member nearly three years ago, and while it can be intimidating to take that leap and try it out, roleplaying is incredibly rewarding, and can help develop your relationship to writing with others and fully understanding your characters! This article is the start of a journey we'll take as we dive deep into the roleplaying side of YWS-- the people, the characters, and the possibilities! But before we can do any of that:

What is roleplaying?

Roleplaying in general is the writing between two or more authors to create a cohesive story together through characterization, plotlines, and collaboration.

But that can sound pretty intimidating, so let's take it down to simple terms: in short,

Roleplaying is writers writing together!

Now you may be thinking, "This is great and all, but when I click on the Roleplay tab, there are a lot of options! What do all those things mean?"

I'm so glad you asked!

Here on YWS, there are four categories of roleplaying:
  • Storybook Sanctuary
    Roleplays in the Storybook Sanctuary, often nicknamed Storybooks, are novel-based roleplays. These roleplays tend to have longer-length posts, more collaborative writing, and a planned-out plot. Storybooks are usually a big commitment, and can last for years! (For reference, the current longest-running storybook is Aether's Heart, approaching its third year of writing this July!)
    Storybooks are recommended for people who are up for a real challenge and not afraid to commit a large amount of time, and it's usually recommended for people who feel comfortable with the ins and outs of roleplaying and writing with others.
  • Roleplay Realm
    Roleplays in the Roleplay Realm tends to have medium-length posts. There is some collaborative writing, some planning, and a lot of improvisation. Roleplays in the Roleplay Realm are not usually as long of a commitment as storybooks, and posts are more frequent because they are often shorter in length. This does not mean that Roleplay Realm stories don't last though--the current longest-running roleplay in the Roleplay Realm is Kingdom Hearts: The Roleplay, approaching its third year of writing this November!
    Roleplay Realm roleplays are recommended for people who have enough time to sit down and write often, and it's usually recommended for people who feel comfortable with the basics of roleplaying and writing with others.
  • Roleplay Hollow
    Roleplays in the Roleplay Hollow tend to be short-length posts. Roleplays are fast-paced and improvised completely on the spot. There is little collaboration, and authors control only their own character. The Roleplay Hollow is perfect for someone who wants to experiment with a new character without setting any boundaries for themselves, or someone who wants to mess around with roleplaying and begin to learn the basics. Due to the quick and fast nature of the Roleplay Hollow, all active roleplays in the Roleplay Hollow are less than two years old.
    Roleplay Hollow roleplays are recommended for people who aren't looking for a big time commitment, or for anyone who is unfamiliar with roleplaying and wants an easy way to try it out.
  • Roleplay Duos
    Roleplay Duos roleplays are places for one-on-one roleplaying! This can be used to develop characters for bigger roleplays, or to just have fun and try an idea out! The name can, on occasion, be deceiving though-- sometimes, if a small group of writers has already agreed on a roleplay, they will put it in the Roleplay Duos to show it is full and closed.
    Roleplay Duos roleplays are for anyone looking to roleplay in a small setting. These posts can vary in length, collaboration, and improvisation, so they can be perfect for people of all roleplaying journeys and experiences.

So, what are the other forums under the Roleplay tab?

There are four forums under the Roleplay tab not exclusively used for publishing roleplay posts:
  • Information Desk
    If you're looking for a little more information on the rules and regulations of roleplaying, this is the place to go! Here, you'll find all the rules that YWS will enforce, as well as more understanding on the common rules for roleplaying in general.
  • Roleplay Lounge
    Memes, fun quotes, mischief, and more! Come here to post in the Welcome Mat and introduce yourself to other roleplayers, ask any questions you may have, and goof off with fellow roleplayers in the roleplays you share!
  • Out-of-Character Discussion
    This is the place to go for any planning you may do for your roleplay! If a roleplay is in the Storybook Sanctuary or the Roleplay Realm, you'll likely notice that the creator has included a handy link to one of these! Each OOCD (Out-of-Character Discussion) is individual to a roleplay, and it is a place for the writers to discuss character development, future posts, and the plot of the roleplay as a whole!
  • Archive
    This is where all the roleplays go when writers no longer have time or interest for them. Roleplays can be moved here temporarily if the cast of writers no longer has time but hopes to pick it up sometime in the future, or can be moved permanently if the writers move on. However, within this dark and gloomy page, there is a glimmer of hope-- because within the Archives, we also find the Completed Hall of Fame! Come here and admire these beautiful and shiny finished stories, many with years of hard work and dedication put into them-- and maybe, if you're feeling up to it, even read a few!

And thus completes our tour of the Roleplays tab! I hope you enjoyed this look-around, and realized that even though it can seem quite intimidating, there's a type of roleplaying for everyone, and everyone is welcome! Stay tuned in for the next article in our roleplaying series, and for now:

Write on!

Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:34 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

Send us yours~!

Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:35 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen@crossroads@neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau@deleted5@wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@KaiTheGreater@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Vincian • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Arcticus@Wolfi@Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505@ExOmelas@SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian@TinkerTwaggy@kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake • @yellow • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback@Que@BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity@BluesClues • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings@TheLittlePrince@TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Magebird • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim@Kazumi@inktopus@OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat • @Thundahguy • @ZeldaIsSheik • @Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor@fishsashimi@TheWeirdoFromBeyond@shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess@Starve@JosephHGeorge@Amabilia@Fantascifi66@paperforest@alliyah • @Liberty • @Vulcanite • @atlast@EverLight@AlyTheBookworm@mckaylaam@JesseWrites@lillianna@IcyFlame@writingbright@RadDog13579 • @Euphoria8 • @LUNARGIRL • @InuYosha • @MomoMajesty • @rida • @hannah314159 • @ForeverYoung299@MailicedeNamedy@RandomTalks@QueenMadrose • @Phillauthet@MC • @CyonetheStarbringer

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
— Ann Landers