z

Young Writers Society



Me Singing

by creativityrules


This is a new beginning.
This is a fresh start.
This is a day dawning.
Mine is a free heart.

This is me standing
on the edge of the world,
and screaming to the wind
that I'm a free girl.

And we are one person,
the strength and the dawn.
We are one, together.
The drum beat goes on.

To the ends of the earth
where the land plunges off,
I am free as the wind.
I am calmly in love.

This is a sunset spreading.
This is an ocean waving.
This is a new day dawning.
This is me singing.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:31 am
Shady wrote a review...



Heya creativityrules,

Shady here to review your poem! I know you'll likely never see this, but the Checklist Challenge asked me to come find a piece from March 2012, and you happened to post this on the day that I joined YWS!

This is a new beginning.
This is a fresh start.
This is a day dawning.
Mine is a free heart.


I like the way you use punctuation to your advantage in this first stanza! The period at the end of each line makes the lines a bit more dramatic and forceful, making readers pause at the end and reflect what was said.

This is me standing
on the edge of the world,
and screaming to the wind
that I'm a free girl.


This stanza felt a bit more forced -- like you were trying really hard to keep with the themes in the first stanza. I think it'd benefit if you ever came back to revise this, to maybe think about a freer verse style. The last line in this stanza, especially, feels like you were trying really hard to match the "free heart" from the last one, so the "free girl" just kind of reads a bit awkwardly here.

This is a sunset spreading.
This is an ocean waving.
This is a new day dawning.
This is me singing.


I really like the personification in this stanza! The "ocean waving" is a really cute way to put this, and I'm a big fan! Really creative!

~ ~ ~

Overall, I really liked this poem! I think you did a really nice job with the themes throughout the poem and also with some lines having some really nice imagery! It's a nice poem!

I think my biggest recommendation overall would be to play around with various formats for this poem, free yourself up a bit from a strict framework that you think the poem should fit into, and rather let the imagery guide you.

That's all I've got for you!

Keep writing and Happy RevMo!

~Shady 8)




User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 59
Reviews: 34

Donate
Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:23 am
RedMoon says...



Me likey. This is a great poem, and though I don't know much about poems, I do know a great writer when I see one. Great job. Keep writing.





The best books... are those that tell you what you know already.
— George Orwell, 1984