My Dear Buddy

by anne27

I used to spend so much time with you

You behaved like a devil with me,

You sucked all energy out of my life

I kept waiting for an apology.

_

It never came, I felt suppressed

The knowledge that you controlled me bothered

The people around me looked so happy

But I was with the charger- tethered.

_

It didn't seem fair, you made me sad

I used to love your company once

Now it was the only company I had

Away from my books, I felt like a dunce.

_

Those could've been one of my worst months

The worst pain brought by a friend

I was teary and swollen-eyed for days

Wishing your ways you'd soon amend

_

It happened one day- quite surprisingly

After I had left you for a while

It felt like you had missed my attentions

You truly valued me now- that made me smile.

_

I'm so joyous our friendship returned

Where I and you have equal controls

You trouble me so less these days

Not even asking for a couple more scrolls.

_

I feel your presence so helpful now

There when I need you, silent otherwise

You stop doing anything as soon as I ask you

I don't even have to check twice

_

And as I write this poem for you

I know you're there, but you don't disturb

I went from heteronomous to autonomous

Thanks to you, I feel superb!!

Spearmint wrote a review...

Ahh this is an excellent poem!! As illy said, it's awesome how this poem shows both the good and bad sides of technology. And I also appreciate that you ended it on a positive note, with the narrator realizing that moderation is best (at least how I interpreted it)! Okay, on to some specifics...

You sucked all energy out of my life

Ooh I though this was a powerful line, it really emphasizes how draining the relationship was! ^-^ (It definitely can't feel good to have your energy sucked out of you... :p)

The people around me looked so happy

This line is super relatable too; so often we look at others and think that they're better or happier than us, when in fact that's usually not the case. So I love that you addressed that here!

Okay, this might just be me, but I thought the "books" part was a little random? It didn't seem quite related to the technology/friendship theme. I wasn't entirely sure what your purpose for including this part was, although of course I might just be missing something here! ^-^

Where I and you have equal controls

Ah yes! It's definitely important to have a good balance within a friendship. I'm so happy the narrator was able to realize that and change their relationship for the better c:

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this poem and I hope you keep writing! :D

anne27 says...

Thanks a ton for the beautiful review Spearmint!! :)
Well, yes, it does look like random but I had meant it in a way that the phone was taking so much time that I didn't wish to do anything else- not even reading books which was my favorite earlier. So I felt really stupid and away from myself.
Any better substitutes?

Spearmint says...

You're welcome for the review!!
And ohh I get it now, thanks for clarifying! Totally optional, but if you wanted to change it, you could maybe try "Unlike my old self, I felt like a dunce" or maybe "Away from you, I felt like a dunce" (if you wanted to highlight the fact that the phone was an obsession). But it makes sense to me now, thanks!
And also thank you for this wonderful read! ^-^

illy7896 wrote a review...

I love this poem because it represents how technology and the internet can be used as a friend and a helper but also as a weapon. It also shows how you must limit the relationship between the media and yourself to stay healthy. I just adored the way that you have dedcribed your phone and you as a friendship that has to be respected and perhaps changed. The triumph at the end and how the narrator feels 'superb' also gives a hopeful and positive side to technology and that there is a way to stay happy without ignoring the internet completely.

I really enjoyed reading this poem.

anne27 says...

Thanks for that superb review illy !! :D Glad you liked it.

illy7896 says...

No problem

Despite everything, it's still you.
— TobyFox