Marks that Matter

by anne27

Part 1

I used to wonder how

Students never had a goal

When I used to work day and night

Mine being an animated soul

They cheated in their exam

I worked hard for mine

Their results came a little better

But I also got just fine.

_

I loathed this category of people

I felt they got undeserved

It felt unfair to get a lower score

And anyway, why were they not observed?

What they got in a second

I got in a long year

They had Google by their side

Me?- Blood, sweat and tears

_

Yet the results were on their side

I decided marks don't matter

All they ever do is cause low esteem

Your prestige they truly shatter.

~~

Part 2

_

I don't know what got into me

Maybe anger did its work

It was my final exam and I opened the web

And that was the key to my irk

I was falling away from myself, I knew

What was I supposed to do?

" A little bit of answers don't matter much

What is the good of being completely true?"

_

I know I'll regret it but I still searched three

One markers they all were- that's all

Last exam it was, all over now

No happiness- none ; just tears and a rainfall

Guilt, shame, anxiety, regret,

Failure, loss of self-control - what not?

Is it humanly possible - I askĀ 

To have all emotions that make you feel like a clot

_

Well, these ones did- I felt like a jerk

Marks hold importance - I realised

Not the evaluated answers the society sees

But the honesty that should be analysed

I scored 96 then, I swore I'd never

Go that deep again

In this assessment, I want a 100%

I'm ready to through the pain

That is demanded to be honest again

From cheating I'll abstain

I might not have marks to gain

Even so, excellence in this will keep me sane. :D

anne27 says...

Thanks a lot everybody for their support. Thank you so much @Big Brother and the whole team of YWS for this honor. I'm very grateful to everybody for this!!! Thanks for your support and kindness :D

illy7896 wrote a review...

I love this poem because it has such a metaphorical meaning, and it shows how there are so many liars and cheats in the world who jump the hard work and dedication necessary for success or whatever it is you want. Just like the reviewer before said, it represents how if you want something, you have to fight for it (unfortunately, of course, we shouldn't have to fight for what we want but that's a whole other thing.) I also loved the rhyming and in a way a kind of sweet ending, it seems like such a kind ending and you can see how the narrator grows and finally understands their mistake and is willing to try again. My favourite line was:

Marks hold importance - I realised

But the honesty that should be analysed

because it perfectly summarises the whole meaning of the poem, the point that it's not society that counts but it's the effect that it has over you and the influence of those decisions that count. In a way, this poem is also about self-image and representation- it's open to many interpretations.

with this line, I felt like the word 'clot' does not apply here and could do with either being replaced or extended upon. I love the idea of the word clot because it suggests that you are like a trapped vein or blood that can't get past what you have done, however, I think that it needs more detail and explanation to highlight this idea.

I loved this poem and your structure, and it has a really moral meaning and shows how there is always room for improvement and you can always compensate for your mistakes. Great job!

anne27 says...

Thanks a lot for the beautiful review illy. Glad you liked the poem :D
Here I meant clot in the informal sense which would mean a foolish person.

illy7896 says...

Ahh sorry, I didn't know, that actually makes a lot of sense. No problem :)

anne27 says...

NP :D

akanbright wrote a review...

Its a nice and incised poem i will say. Many don't know the real essence of a thing, not until importance and regrets of the their actions begin to dawn on them.
Once again, i recommend the poem but its a kind of whisky but nevertheless wont stop my review. It is true that real and actual mark comes In handy with excellence and competent hard work than we could imagine.
I remember them in my secondary school, when I will have to watch cheaters cheat, yet it felt hard form to cheat as a well, so I just maintained myself but that didn't last long enough. Even though I usually lead the class, yet I was afraid that my marks would drop as those loathers seemed to be heightening their scores and one day I gave in. Didn't like it I would say, but I still left the class.
In the case of this classic poem, I would say that whatever true mark one wishes to get doesn't just come like that, but we 'll have to fight for it anyways and that's what we 'll do.
Man tend to fail because they do not realize the importance of the marks scores they are to obtain anyways they just st see it as a usual thing.
Its not really bad if we out cheating to pass, but it becomes bad and then you do that for the second time and that's sheer manipulation of score.
I seem to so much like the zeal exerted in the last stanza because one must do anything possible to pass and determination is a goal.

anne27 says...

Thanks for your wonderful review Akan!! :D
Just want to make sure that the marks that I'm talking about here are the marks of honesty, like a metaphor. So if I cheated 3 out of 100, I was 97%u2105 honest - like that. Not the actual marks really :)

akanbright says...

Yh get it

"Think of all the beauty still left around you, and smile."
— Anne Frank