12+

Chapter 2.2

by TheSilverFox

Author's Notes: This combines two sections of Chapter 2, and is about 2,111 words.  Please tell me if that's too long, and I'll cut down on the length of future parts.  Also, he isn't what I would call charming. :P

"Why are you trying to kill me?" gasped Eremia as the metal and leather corset around her waist tightened. She wheezed, struggling for breath, hands grasping one of the benches of the castle's outfitters room. Suits of armor, as well as spaces and pegs for them, adorned the walls around her, their helmets all seemingly staring at her. Some had holes for wings on their backs, but most retained the typical qualities of a bulky, metal, polished suit of armor.

"Your parents have let you be too free-spirited," chastised the plump maid with bright red overalls, a black, wide shirt, and a gray cape, as she tugged on the ropes holding Eremia's corset together, grunting in the process. "In such events at these, you must be well-dressed and...well-mannered. None of this running about and yelling at everyone who does not please your fancy. I would have you learn swordplay as well, but I'm told you're a mage, and swords are not too your liking. Still, I have the loveliest...scabbard for you!"

"That would be...fine," retorted Eremia, blonde hair flitting over her green eyes, causing her to brush it aside, "...I'm decent with a sword, but it...does not interest me. The dress, though. It seems so...restrictive." Sweat dropped down her face as she rolled her hand over the blossoming blue fabric that seemed to envelop her. It was clearly too large for her, so her maid had had to stuff it around her arms, making her shoulders seem bloated.

The attendant, complete, breathed a sigh of relief and stepped back, clapping her hands for the girl to return around and stare at her reflection within the mirror. "Not as much as it could've been," she noted with reprisal. "Your parents had forbade me from using a hoop-stay or anything too embroidered or elegant. Ah well, it is not as though it is a ball to honor the 18th birthday and formal coronation of the King of Wyandanch. Dearie me, that would require so much more style, particularly from the daughter of his dearest allies."

Eremia nodded, trying to adjust to her restrictive outfit and tight corset. "Wo--wonderful." In all honesty, beyond her freckles and simple frame, she didn't look half bad. Of course, she despised the pain and frustration of getting such an outfit one. The prospect of wearing it for most of a day seemed dreadful.

Regardless, the maid seemed pleased, asking for Eremia to stretch out her arms to either side so that the maid could see her own handiwork. "However, with our little struggle against the soldiers of Bois, that bastard Alliance, I don't know how well attended it will be. Still though, I fear you're too underdressed. Yet, if my King commands me to make you suit from rags, I would be compelled to do so, even if it rots my soul."

"This King, Wielde," said Eremia in concern, somewhat hastily. "He's not one of those hopeless romantic types, is he? I'd rather not leave for home with a marriage proposal because he had 'love at first sight.'"

The maid huffed at Eremia's air quotes while peeking at the seams of the dress and walking around Eremia to analyze the outfit. "The King Wyandanch is a charming young man, if a bit shy and reserved. If the men are not of your style, I assure that the ladies will be simply splendid--"

"I'll come for formality, not romance," shot back Eremia with a pleading gesture and a small laugh. It was incredibly awkward talking to a woman that she hadn't known existed before today, much less her position as a stylist. At least she had a colorful outfit, complete with the lesser used of Exedor's royal colors. That wasn't common fabric to find in this area, so the girl assumed that her parents clearly thought highly of this lady's significance. And, if such was the case, she had to bear with it.

The stylist, complete with her investigation, stepped back and formed a picture frame impression with her hands. "What suits you, then. I will be in attendance, naturally, and I'll sweep the handsome fellow who has been spurned by you off of their feet. Now, your outfit is complete, I do believe, but I would like you to test it out. You should walk about the castle for a time, get used to the corset and dress. Consider it practice."

Eremia had been about to breathe a sigh of relief, but now it was stifled by horror. And the corset, of course.

******

If it was possible to move by the sheer force of one's internal range, Eremia would've traveled halfway across the country in the short amount of time she walked across the castle. She was fortunate that she was wearing her stitched-together leather shoes (which were not seamless, and a little odd in appearance), with accompanying socks, but the dress was terrible to walk in without looking awkward, arms uncomfortably stuck to her sides due to the puffy shoulders making it hard to move them easily. Then, of course, was the problem that it felt hard to breathe in the dreadful thing. The jeering comments and lewd whistles from the occasional guard that felt as though they were distant enough from her to harass her without invoking her anger did exactly that. Normally, she would be more than happy to shout at them and force them to run off, or perhaps call upon her parents to inflict punishment, but a greater source of fury had reached her ears, and it had to be dealt with.

By the time the girl reaches the corridor, she was seething. Teeth were clenched in rage, which forced to stop every few steps to take in a deep breath and persist with her persistent march. Eremia had the grace enough to walk around a maid cleaning the floor in front of her, though the malicious part inside of her had wanted to kick the pail as far as possible into the room that was her destination.

"Jonah!" shouted the girl as she stepped into her younger brother's room. He was in the midst of talking to a tall, imposing gentleman with gray, military-cut hair, sunken eyes, and a small mustache. He wore a black leather suit that complemented Jonah's, though his had a greater accompaniment of silver buttons, and had the old and wrinkled skin under which was a tapestry of muscles and a tan that had faded slightly with age, yet not enough. Here was their appointed servant, Yorew.

The young boy, previously speaking to his servant in firm and hushed tones, shifted when he saw his sister, and leered at her while he relaxed in the bed's blankets. "My favorite sister! I thought you would come." In the meantime, Yorew turned, bowed respectfully, and never took his gaze away from her. It was unnerving how a man with such sunken eyes could act like he was staring into her soul.

She despised his manipulative and evil little voice, and the way it seemed to drip off of him like honey. "Do you care for your King at all? Why do you keep up these silly antics?"

Jonah laughed. It was surprisingly bitter and conniving, which was odd - normally, it was gleeful and conniving. "You know exactly why. But, I didn't wish you to come here to chat. I have a plan, and I thought you would be perfect for it."

It was Eremia's turn to laugh. "Another one of your plans? Those childish pranks you played? Those were fun when I was five. Now, they're just a nuisance, and you're becoming one as well. I'd say that you'd best stop whatever plan you have now, as it isn't going to work, and it will only dig your hole deeper."

"Hmph, I had hoped my second-in-command would need about as much persuasion as my confidante," mused Jonah is disappointment. "No matter; I just need a conveniently timed event to stun you." He paused, as though waiting for one, and sighed when none such happening came.

The girl huffed at him and approached him, pointing an accusatory finger. "Why have I had to do this for all these years? Why have I, out of the kindness of my heart, had to take the blame for your little games? I'd hoped you'd grow up, learn, change, and become an intelligent and dignified man like our father, but I underestimated you and your stubbornness. What will it take for you to learn?"

"Nothing," snarled Jonah, pupils growing larger for a brief second while he grabbed Eremia's hand fiercely. "I don't want to be a foolish pet under your pretty little reign. I will be my own king of my own kingdom, and I'd rather it be a bloody and vicious land. I'm tired of being inhibited by sucking up to those beneath me and those above, and I say that somebody has to pay for all of these years that you've all tried to control me."

Eremia took a step back in horror, and Jonah seemed to freeze as well. He let go of her arm and looked upon his in surprise and dismay, while the girl ran into her servant, who placed his large hand over her mouth before she could say a word. There was only a dim scream as Eremia heard the sound of the wooden door being shut and the metallic sounds of the padlock being inserted and locked. Yorew let go, and she spluttered out a few breaths and angry, indecipherable words.

"Now!" said Jonah with satisfaction, although he seemed unnerved, "you're stuck. If you call for help now, they'll come to see the king's daughter having the stupidity to be locked up with her brother. How scandalous would that be?"

The girl was dismayed now. The last place she wanted to be was in this room, with these people. Throwing herself off of the balcony could hurt her, but it was easily a better choice. "Not as much as conspiring to destroy your father's kingdom out of anger and vengeance." It was then, of course, that she realized Yorew was still standing right behind her.

Jonah brandished his puny little knife and pointed it at her. "Fine then, threats of violence it is. You're simply not being reasonable today."

Eremia frowned. Yorew was too close. She could try to use her magic, but that would take too long, and he could easily tackle her before then. Or it would blast at both Jonah and Yorew enough to potentially kill them. At best, it could knock them out, but she'd rather not have her brother's brains splattered against a wall. There was no way for her to run to the balcony, or slam the door open, or do anything other than scream. She was trapped, and, as long as Jonah kept Yorew next to her, she was effectively his hostage.

Unfortunately, Jonah recognized this as well.

He smirked as Eremia sighed and bowed her head. "I guess I must follow you," she conceded. "I'd like to say that you've gone too far, but that would be underestimating it. And shame on you, Yorew, for, as always, doing everything he asks of you. You were meant to be our servant, not just his. Or, better yet, have some free will and a voice of your own. Why do you follow this idiot?"

Yorew was not a man of many words, and remained silent as Jonah retorted, "Because he knows who is in need of a willing servant." Eremia hated how the boy emphasized the word willing. "Rather than a princess's puppet. Come then - Yorew has brought with him the ample sum of money that he's paid, and we have some food in hand." He pulled out a sack from beside him in the bed, within which the contents had likely been mashed together during their brief travels. "The King and Queen will think you have skipped dinner to study, as you normally do. I have a simple escape plan in mind, and my loose-fitting prayer robes should fit you just fine. While that outfit of yours is...dashing...it would be too distracting."

Eremia was repulsed. "Turn your perverted little self away, then. Hand me those clothes, Yorew, and see if you can undo this corset. I'm glad to be rid of it, even if I despise the reason behind such. Then we'll discuss your misguided strategy and petty plans."

"Oh, have no fear," replied Jonah, staring out past the sliver of light in between the curtains. "With you here, I will succeed. Just you see."

Brigadier wrote a review...

The characters are taking some getting used to and also you're not being very clear about who they are, until we get down to the fifth paragraph involving on their actions. Like I could have possibly guessed the Eremia was the princess based off of her dialogue with the attendant but she also could have been of some other class of royalty. I don't remember her name being mentioned in the previous part so it would have been nice for it to have been somewhere in the dialogue.
I'm also assuming that she's older than Jonah.
Also I'm liking that your little society here doesn't have that many confines, where a princess is allowed and encouraged to learn how to fight, and also clearly the lady working on her dress doesn't care about sexuality. That may be a single event and a single opinion, but the way in which you present it, makes it sound like a wide spread belief.

The abduction scene has finally looped back into what I heard in the first chapter. It doesn't seem like it's put together with much care, and most of the details about it have been rushed over. Or at least that's the overall feeling I have gotten from all of the parts I have read so far, meaning well but they didn't follow through on the execution. It always comes down to that one part and that is where I've seen something like 90% of the writers on YWS fail at.

At this point though, I am still holding out hope for where the chapter might go. You asked above what the opinions were on splitting this up and I'd go for no, don't do it. If you thought it was best to combine these two in the first place, then the decision still holds through now.

I meant to say in the last review that if you wanted to talk about the crap I said, that you could find me on discord. But I also remember you leaving the server and I had no way of finding you in the logs.
I have found you now.

TheSilverFox says...

oh noes

This world is a lot more progressive than ours, so it's definitely a wide-spread belief, and will be expanded on later. Also, egh, ambiguity is (unfortunately) one of my strong suits; so is bad flow and execution (though I've gotten better at all of these with time). You're stuck watching the writing suffocate itself for who knows how long (because I really don't know when/if I've gotten better). Thanks for the review!

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:41 am
Kale wrote a review...

Oh hey! Guess who's back for another part because of a too-clear Green Room. Not that you really need to guess because it's rather obviously me. I mean, my name is plastered rather prominently at the top of this review. But I'm rambling.

In any case, we start off with a question I have asked before:

She despised his manipulative and evil little voice, and the way it seemed to drip off of him like honey.

Which "him"? ;P

I noticed a few other spots where the flow of "which him" became ambiguous or confused, but this is my last review for the night and I am sleepy, so if you want me to go through and point out all of them, you can just poke me after RevMo is over because I still have 15 reviews to go goodness gracious. So close, yet so far.

With that said, Eremia and Jonah have a rather interesting relationship, and at this point, I'm honestly wondering why Jonah even bothers with her because she's made it pretty clear she doesn't like him, much less want to follow him, and since she's in a relative position of power over him when it comes to standing within the royal family, it kind of puzzles me why Jonah considers her his second-in-command (or else his confidante; it's not quite clear who is which between Eremia and Yorew).

My point being that at this point, it's pretty clear Jonah has something in mind that will destroy Eremia's expectation to rule, and Eremia knows it, so I don't see why he's trying to be all chummy and charming with her when it should be obvious to him that it's not going to work. At all. And he seems to be aiming for the too-clever-for-his-own-good character type, but his interaction with Eremia really doesn't jive with that.

TheSilverFox says...

The rule of thumb in the first few chapters is, if "he" is doing anything evil, or acting evil in any way, it's probably Jonah. :P

But yeah, I'll keep in mind ambiguous pronouns. As for Jonah, he thinks of Eremia mainly as a pawn, mostly because she has given let him get away with some of his crap in the past (because he used to be a friendly brother, but I never explain that here, asdfgjhkl). His acting charming is more of a manifestation of his maliciousness/ego than anything else, especially because he believes he can force her to comply in other ways. He's always a prick, in other words. Nevertheless, I like your commentary; thanks for the review!

TheSilverFox says...

Also, I'm 99% sure you're on discord, so, if you ever want to talk to me there, I'm pretty sure my name is Giegue.

Kale says...

I can't find youuuuuuuuu. I'm an Addleton.

TheSilverFox says...

hmmm, as long as you didn't include the period, it should be correct. maybe you need the four-digit tag thing? Mine is 4695.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:52 am
Mageheart wrote a review...

Hello, TheSilverFox! I'm here to review your work! I'm sorry in advance if my review isn't all that helpful. I'm trying to become a better reviewer, but I'm still not used to reviewing some of the things I'm going to mention in this review.

I didn't have any problems with your grammar, as well as your setting, so I'll focus on the characters instead.

I already love Eremia. I think she might have been in one or two roleplays before, but I'm not sure. Whatever the case is, she's another interesting female character in your book that I can't wait to read more of! I love how she's a mage, though I may be a bit biased, and I also love how you included how long it took to cast a spell. As someone who has played a mage in video games, that type of thing makes sense.

Unlike with Jonah, I dislike Yorew completely. I'm waiting for a moment where he can redeem himself, but he doesn't have the same uncertainity when it comes to how his character will develop. I also didn't expect that these three would be the three to escape, which was a very good plot twist on your part.

One of the things I especially liked about this chapter was the detail you went into about the corset. I like how you showed how restrictive it was. I've read several stories before that feature a character who has to wear one, but yours is one of the few that shows how painful it is.

My one suggestion is to show Eremia attempting to find more ways to escape throughout the rest of the chapter. She seems to be smart, so I feel like she would continue to try finding them instead of admitting defeat. (Unless, of course, she's waiting for the perfect time in the next chapter to break away from her brother and Yorew.)
I hope this review helped. I really enjoyed reading your work, and I'm sorry if any part of my review seemed harsh! Also, please feel free to PM me if something I said doesn't make sense. I'd be happy to explain it to you. Keep up the great work - which I doubt you'll have trouble with - and good luck on your writing endeavors! I hope you have a wonderful day/night!

TheSilverFox says...

thanks for the review. yorew's motivations won't be revealed until later (and they're sort of messed up), but he's actually a fairly nice guy when you get to know him. i can't say what eremia will do next without spoiling anything, but i will say you made some pretty accurate statements. and i was also worried that i made the whole "three people escaping" thing too obvious, but it's nice to see i kept an element of mystery and surprise in the story. once again, thanks!

Mageheart says...

You're welcome! I'm sorry review wasn't too helpful - I wrote it after not enough sleep last night. It was only after I hit the submit button that I realized I probably should have waited an hour or two so I could actually wake up.

TheSilverFox says...

nah, it's a good review, i'm just a bit tired and apathetic at the moment so i sound uninterested, but i'm happy for any and all advice. and yeah, my sleep was also poor, and i'm still trying to wake up. XD

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:50 am
Ventomology wrote a review...

... This chapter leaves me feeling vaguely uncomfortable, and not in a what-is-Jonah-up-to way. I mean, I got that too, just... we'll discuss this later.

Technical Comments:

The thing about clothing is that describing it gets cumbersome. Yes, I love me some good princess dress descriptions, but unless said clothing is actively being put on, or someone's getting a full-blown introduction, outfit description is not worth the words you will spend. Case in point, the little bit about the maid's clothing. That particular section is so weighed down by your description of what the maid is wearing that it's easy to lose sight of what I'm supposed to get out of the sentence.

I try to be seamless about it (haha, seamless, get it?) and just slip in little details where convenient. You know Ellipse wears a janitor uniform and has nice, solid boots, because I like talking about her clomping around and fumbling through the pockets. Likewise, with the maid, maybe she keeps pins in the pocket of her overalls, and those pins end up somewhere on Eremia's person.

Or instead of mentioning individual articles of clothing, you might just try to get across the feel. For that, your best friends are going to be color schemes, textures, and both adjectives and verbs that describe the cut and drape of fabric. (You may want to look up some sewing terms for texture and draping, especially if you want accuracy in a medieval novel, but I imagine you can come up with some strong verbs for fabric movement.)

Of course, when Eremia is at a ball, or being introduced to some suitor, you have full permission to go wild with clothing descriptions, and to be as vivid and cumbersome as you like. (Splendor is a good thing in some instances. Though so is squalor, if you want to spend a good chunk of time describing someone's ratty rags.) All the stuff up there is mostly just to help with your passing descriptions.

Plot, Characterization, and Misc. Items:

You're going to get my spiel about writing ladies. I'm sorry, and I didn't want to do it, but Eremia is falling into a number of harmful tropes already, and I honestly felt uncomfortable enough reading this chapter that I think things need to be pointed out.

1. For the love of cheese, please do not mention catcalling/wolf whistling from a girl's perspective until you have put serious thought into how it might feel to be catcalled yourself. And by serious thought I mean: if men I saw on a regular basis felt comfortable enough in their "masculine power" to prey on me in a sexual manner without fear of repercussion, how would I feel? I would be terrified. Angry too, but mostly terrified and violated.

Eremia is the Crown Princess, remember? Only someone with authority equal to hers (or someone very stupid, and how many people are stupid enough to risk royal wrath over a catcall?) would dare disrespect her.

2. If Eremia is more powerful than men (magically, by birth, by authority), then keep her there. Too often in literature I see powerful women reduced by men, either because of the stereotype that women are weaker (any two people of similar build will see a difference in power if one of them is a head shorter than the other), or because their fatal flaw is tied into traditionally feminine traits.

In this chapter, I saw Eremia defer to her brother, who doesn't have her authority. He may be a brilliant jerk, but Eremia has gone through this scheme enough times that she should either have a plan to counter him, or she should keep her air of power despite going along with him. That means no bowed heads.

3. In general, because you are a guy, you will have to be careful about how you write girls. You're not a bad writer; you've just been conditioned by how male-dominated action/political drama writing is (look up stats about male and female script writers for Hollywood, if you doubt me). And if you feel like I'm spouting nonsense, try to read some examples of ladies written well by men. Most of the female characters in PMD (except Fleur... sorry Hunter) are very well done, and Piper and Samirah (Riordan: Heroes of Olympus and Magnus Chase) are some personal favorites. A lighter example might be the girls in Trenton Lee Stewart's Mysterious Benedict Society, though they're younger, so they won't have as many of the same issues that Eremia might face.

4. There's this trope out there called the Strong Female Character, which sounds good, but isn't. The Strong Female Character tends to be a) strong in masculine ways, b) weak in feminine ways, and c) maybe pretty, but it's kind of a topic of debate because the description is inconsistent. You've started down this path with Eremia by way of points 1 and 2, so be careful with how you portray Eremia's femininity. It should be a strength more than it is a weakness (and no, beauty does not count).

I gave Hunter part of this talk a while ago (and Char and Tort too), so seriously, don't feel bad about getting it. The dirty truth is that it is hard to break the conditioning that tells you how to write strong ladies, even for girls. It is hard to think about how the opposite gender might perceive things. You're not a bad writer. You just haven't been exposed to the new culture rising around women in literature.

... That's a lot. If you want to debate any of this with me, feel free. I will argue and clarify and maybe concede things, because I'm really not good at arguing. Also, if Eremia's portrayal gets stronger in the future, I will let you know and admit that maybe you didn't need the talk. I just... first impressions are important, so I pick on them a lot.

Until next week!
-Buggie

TheSilverFox says...

thank you for the review, and i'm sorry. i try to make it better later in chapter 2, because her compliance always pissed me off, but i think i failed. sorry.

TheSilverFox says...

also, it doesn't matter how many times you try to reassure me, i will have a nervous breakdown at some point, because that's just how my brain works. it's better to say what you need to and move on.

TheSilverFox says...

and you know what? i should know better. i've read enough stories/webcomics/etc. to know better. i have no reason to screw up, but i did.

TheSilverFox says...

how unsurprising.

Ventomology says...

Hey, it's totally okay! There are ultra-famous writers out there who do worse, and this is several months old.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:47 am
LukeStarkiller wrote a review...

I had a blast, as usual, reading one of your chapters, and I get a strong sense that you know exactly where the story is going at this point. There are a couple of specific things that I took issue with, but I want to make clear that this did NOT detract much from my overall feeling that this was a really good chapter.

I appreciate that you give a description of the maid, but I'm not sure it's necessary to say that she has bright red overalls, a black, wide shirt, and a gray cape. I would shorten that, but it's more a matter of personal preference.

". . . Swords are not too your liking." The 'too' should be a 'to' there. Minor, I know.

"The attendant, complete, breathed a sigh of relief and stepped back, clapping her hands for the girl to return around and stare at her reflection within the mirror." I think there are some misused words in this sentence. First of all, the attendant is not complete; her work is. I would say, "Task complete, the attendant breathed . . ." Also, the girl should 'turn' around, not 'return' around, and her reflection should be 'in' the mirror, not 'within' the mirror. For some reason, the way you used those seems a bit weird.

"She despised the pain and frustration of getting such an outfit one. The prospect of wearing it for most of a day seemed dreadful." Innocent grammar mistake, with "getting such an outfit one" instead of "on." Also, I think that in the second sentence, you don't need both "The prospect of" and "seemed." Both sort of add the same thing to the sentence. It's like saying, "She saw that the dress appeared to be blue." Not incorrect, but a little repetitive. It's an easy fix; just get rid of either "The prospect of" or "seemed."

I know this is a fantasy world, and you can sort of make up whatever you want, but it did take me out of the story when Eremia used air quotes. I'm fairly sure that concept is pretty new, so it was a little unrealistic. Unless you have a good reason, I would consider taking it out.

In the second paragraph after the break, you slip into present tense for a moment. Easy fix as well.

"Teeth were clenched in rage, which forced to stop every few steps to take in a deep breath and persist with her persistent march." I think you mean "forced her to stop," and "persistent" is repetitive, after using a form of the word just before.

". . . leered at her while he relaxed in the bed's blankets." I'm not getting a clear image from this, so I think it would be great if you specified his position. Is he lying down extravagantly on the bed? Is he just sitting? This is completely optional, but I think it would be a great place for some additional characterization.

"The girl huffed at him and approached him, . . ." This is a little awkward because of the repetition of "him," so maybe take out the "at him," since it doesn't really change the sentence.

Those were all the petty nitpicks I caught. Overall, though, great work! I love how you continually raise the stakes from chapter to chapter. It's quite an entertaining read, and I look forward to more chapters.

TheSilverFox says...

thanks for the review. yeah, my old writing is repetitive, stilted, and awkward, so i appreciate that you're pointing this stuff out for me to remove in the second draft. thanks for reading and liking this (rather poor, to be honest) story, and have a good day.

Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else's path unless you're in the woods and you're lost and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.
— Ellen DeGeneres