z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence

Chapter 14.1 (The Other Mad King)

by TheSilverFox


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

Author's Notes: 1,638 words.  I think this is about where I settle into my current writing style?  Which is nice, yeah.

Because today had been such an uneventful day, Belisarius regarded the low sun with an air of suspicion. He eased into his chair as much as an anxious man could, watching his soldiers as he messed with the fork in his hands.

The second day of negotiations had gone poorly, as he had expected. It had merely been his peers demanding that Catharnach’s battle strategy be left unchanged, though the rival nations had proposed other arrangements and more subtle ways to strike the city. Of course, he had not been there to see it; he had been informed that this meeting was to be less formal than its predecessor, so his presence would be unnecessary. He resented that he was being so easily pushed aside, but more so of his outburst against the King of Eimhin. The man was unpredictable and ruthless, and the letter warned him that he had earned Catharnach’s full wrath.

Admittedly, given what he knew, he was going to die either way. It was just a matter of whether he wanted to be speared and painfully, slowly die in battle, or be drawn and quartered and painfully, slowly die in front of a bemused audience.

Burying his head in his hands, he screamed. Looking up, he found nobody giving him the slightest glance. As he felt, they all knew that the Mad King had requested to meet with him, and it was awkward to be around a dead man. His own subconsciousness was more in the mood to imagine his mother and father living securely in their tiny house in the city, sweeping the front door and talking with the soldiers. And, of course, the soldiers that would come to the gate with torches in hand, waving banners as they demonstrated what happened to families of traitors.

A trumpet blasted directly into his ear. He shouted and jumped up from his seat, causing it to topple over. Clutching his chest and breathing rapidly, he wheeled around and saw four well-dressed men and woman, all armed with swords and bows. At the center, standing and, for a change, scowling, was Catharnach himself.

“How deaf are you, frightened child?” said the Mad King. Those around him parted as he marched towards the general, who sat back into his seat while trembling. “And have you no respect for your King?”

“I was…surprised, my King,” said Belisarius, staring into the darkening sky. He reached down and patted the ground to search for his helmet, turning his gaze away as Cath stood in front of him.

Bending over, Catharnach grabbed the helmet from in front of Belisarius and ungracefully pushed it over his head. “You are mortified, coward. I suppose you still believe in those silly rumors. You have not possibly considered that I might concede to your demands?”

Belisarius gulped as he stood up and bowed reverentially. “No, my liege, it had not.” By now, he noticed that the surroundings encampments were eerily quiet. Beyond Catharnach and his guard, a few others had appeared on the fringes of the small clearing, including a few men in suits of armor. A brief flash of confusion appeared across Catharnach’s face, but he quickly dispelled it by donning a smile that was far too eerie to be genuine.

“Then let us speak of it in private,” said the Mad King loudly, marching over to Belisarius and grabbing him by the shoulder. Catharnach gestured for his soldiers to stand outside the entrance to the tent as he and Belisarius entered the small space. The Mad King flopped down on Belisarius’s soft, curtained bed, leading Belisarius to sit on the ground in front of Catharnach, who continued speaking. “I had hoped to use the position to motivate you, though it seems it may be better if I promote one of my more eager generals to take your place. Would a position at the rear suit you?”

Black spots danced at the edge of Belisarius’s vision, and he felt faint as he stared up at the expectant face and stuck-out chin of Catharnach. “Y-yes, my King, I would like that.” His heart skipped a beat as the Mad King nodded.

“Then it shall be done,” said Catharnach contently, sighing and pulling out a dagger from within his outfit. “You will be serving me among the dead, and your living compatriots will be worshipping me.”

Belisarius breathed a deep sigh of relief as Catharnach raised the dagger, aiming for Belisarius’s neck. Expecting some far slower, worse torture, Belisarius couldn’t help but find this relatively benign. There was then a sudden ruckus from outside, the sounds of yelling and warnings prefacing the arrival of a strong, tall man in messenger’s garb and a helmet that pushed his hair over part of his face.

The stranger looked panicked. “My King, I have something I need to say—”

By then, however, Catharnach had thrust the dagger downwards, stabbing the stranger through their outstretched hand.

The messenger dropped onto his knees, screaming as they held their bloody hand. Surprised and shocked, the Mad King quickly retracted his weapon, sending blood flying into the air and splattering on the roof of the tent. Belisarius, forgetting to breathe, watched in horror and amazement as the messenger, facing Catharnach, removed their helmet. Their screaming diminished as quickly as it’d arrived came before they said, “You’ve lost, you stupid bastard.”

The Mad King, twitching as he rose from the bed and stood over the messenger, shouted high-pitched orders that Belisarius, too relieved to be alive, could hear clearly. To his right, Belisarius could see the entourage of soldiers attempt to barge their way into the crowded tent, but pushed aside by the men in suits of armor. Catharnach, with surprising speed, shoved himself under the opposite side of the tent and vanished in seconds.

“Let’s talk,” said the messenger. “He knows what’s going to happen if he kills me, so you’re safe where you are. I have a way to make sure that you have the same immunity. If we play this just right, you can work with me, and you don’t have to die trying to take the city. Does that sound fair?” Standing up, the messenger turned around. Belisarius gasped as he recognized the face of Kasimir, King of Walenty.

Belisarius shook his head. “No, you can’t be, there’s no way that one of the most powerful men in the world would –”

Smiling, Kasimir raised a bloody finger. “Be so stupid? Unfortunately enough, that’s just who I happen to be. That I could get my hands on an ill-fitting messenger’s suit and run between thousands of soldiers to get to you should be your real question. I can’t answer it myself, honestly.”

“But…oh my,” said Belisarius after some thought. “You’re not unharmed, though.”

Kasimir shrugged. “True, but I’ve had worse. We’re also straying from the topic here – your safety, and maybe an alliance to come with it. A real one, I mean.”

“What about my soldiers?” blurted out Belisarius, rubbing his hands through his hair. “There are too many innocent men and women here, and I’d rather die before I placed my life above theirs.”

The King of Walenty rested on Belisarius’s bed, bending backwards to look up at the red-tinged ceiling. “That’s why I like you. You’re not some glory-loving halfwit ready to die for an idiot of a king. You’re the rotten apple in his eyes, since your more caring and scrupulous than any of us.” Kasimir pushed himself up to a seating position.

“I’m going to be honest with you: it might already be too late. Even without you, he still has a lot of good men, and his son is smarter than he looks. We might still be forced into battle, and we might still all die. At the least, a lot of your soldiers are in trouble. But I’m not a man who backs down easily – I wouldn’t be a king if I gave up. I have a few cards left to play, and I was wondering if you and your soldiers want to help. You don’t really think you have another choice, do you?”

Belisarius buried his head in his hands. Though tempted to scream for a third time, his mind eventually thought better of it, though not without some self-deprecation and dismay. “No, I suppose not. I can’t die and let the security of the people I care about go to some gallant cur who won’t think twice about putting them before Wyandanch’s arrows. I’m interested, but I must let you know that I still can’t entirely trust you.”

“That’s another reason I like you,” said Kasimir, grinning playfully. “No smart man has ever trusted me. Still, we have a mutual interest in not dying, and so I hope you’re willing to talk some strategy with me. With the information and people you have, we can make sure that the Mad King can’t kill you without destroying himself.”

“What information could I possibly have that-” began Belisarius angrily, seething at the absurdity that he, as neglected by his compatriots as he was, should know anything. He hesitated.

Kasimir’s smile grew wider. “That only you and your fellow generals know their soldiers are going to die pointlessly? Yes, my friends and I are already quite aware, and that’s just one idea I have in mind. Now, if you’ll excuse me” – he stood up and gestured to somebody standing away from the entrance of the tent – “I need to make sure I don’t die. I will give you my word, as a King and a somewhat good man, that I will do the best I can to keep you and your soldiers alive.”

“And I need all the help I can get,” mumbled Belisarius. “I don’t know how much worse things could possibly be.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
425 Reviews


Points: 50
Reviews: 425

Donate
Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:49 am
View Likes
Vervain wrote a review...



Hey Silv! I haven't caught up yet but I figured I'd jump in and give this piece a good boot in the butt to get it out of the GR. This is mostly going to be stylistic in nature, since that seems to be my biggest pet peeve with this. ;D But you know already, I tear it apart because I love it.

Overall: Your styyyyle, it's kiiiillinggg meeeee-- I know we've gone over this before in prior reviews on your work but I have some different issues here. I think we've touched on pacing within a scene, dialogue tages, and thesaurus syndrome, so here's a few different pieces of feedback.

Details:

First, watch your prose! While you do a good job of maintaining your voice throughout, some of the phrases you use don't match your style well. For example, in the very first paragraph:

He eased into his chair as much as an anxious man could, watching his soldiers as he messed with the fork in his hands.
This is a very modern-sounding phrase, and instead you could use "toyed with" or something similar that sounds more like what you're going for. "Mess" is a modern word in general, so unless it's being used in a context where it makes sense, it drags the reader out of the scene and makes us go "wait, what?"

He reached down and patted the ground to search for his helmet, turning his gaze away as Cath stood in front of him.
I might be missing context on this one, but why would he call Catharnach just by Cath? They don't seem to be very good friends at this moment in time, so unless they grew up together or everyone calls him Cath, there's no reason for Belisarius to think it -- unless it's just the writer trying to vary what he calls people. ;D In which case, just call him the Mad King, because that's more tone-cohesive than Cath to begin with.

Second, words have meaning, and it's not always what they sound like. "Bemused" (paragraph 3, line 3) means "confused or bewildered", not "amused". If you mean amused, say it, or say something like "entertained" or "gleeful" to give us a sense of the audience's feelings. If you mean "confused", then using "bemused" makes us think you, the writer, are confused about your word choice.

Third, attack of the dialogue tags! I think I've already covered this in an earlier review, so I won't go too in-depth on it here, but if I keep seeing it in your writing I will keep bringing it up. Even if you never edit this.

Finally, I kind of envy your style. You have this magnificent high fantasy voice that -- when it's consistent -- is like the coolest thing ever because it really makes you feel like you're in this other world. While I personally write fantasy in a more down-to-Earth style, I wish I could pull off what you're achieving here. It pulls the reader in without being goofy and over the top (most of the time).

Keep writing!




TheSilverFox says...


agh why do bemused and amused sound almost identical and then mean wildly different things? Curse the English language.

Yep, the Cath thing was supposed to add variety, but I can see the inconsistency. I'll also keep in mind a consistent voice so I avoid using phrases like "messed with." And the dialogue tags issue is something I'd like to think I've improved in later chapters (though I doubt it)? It's at least good I have a consistent style - I just want to improve it. All in all, thanks for the review!



Vervain says...


Lol. I get confused with similar words, too. My rule right now is that if something SOUNDS like it should mean something, it probably means the opposite.

I'd definitely look at other things you could call him. If he's taller than Belisarius, establish that and then call him "the taller man". Definitely add variety, but watch your tone.

I think your dialogue tags have probably gotten better, they just jump out at me because they're an established issue for me, haha.

Keep on keeping on!



TheSilverFox says...


I need a rule like that. XD

I don't have a very good grip on character heights? Catharnach might not be taller than Belisarius, but Catharnach's status as a vain king means he'd probably look like it. But yeah, variety's the spice of life, so I may as well have it here.

As for later chapters, there's a big difference between what I've published and what I've been writing (Chapter 15 vs. Chapter 26), so it might take a while for the dialogue tags to get better. >.>

Again, thanks!



User avatar
590 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 590

Donate
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:59 pm
View Likes
Mageheart wrote a review...



Hello, TheSilverFox! I hope my review can do your work justice.

Grammar and Syntax

No problems here! I'll move onto the other sections.

Characters

It appears that Belisarius is getting a larger role than I predicted - good for him! I thought he would kick the bucket by the end of the chapter. He seems like a good guy; as Kasimir said, he's better than the majority of the other people involved in this part of the novel. It'll be interesting seeing how he develops as a character.

Speaking of Kasimir, I love how he acts in this chapter! I wasn't expecting him to pop up so suddenly, and something about the way he talked made me enjoy the part where he showed up. It would be neat if he and Belisarius have more time together later in the novel. They have chemistry, though I'm not sure why I see it that way.

Plot

But, overall, it was just discussions. There wasn't any action. It does fit what you've written so far, but it would be cool to see some more fights.


Past me would be very satisfied to learn that my wish was granted about a week after I wrote that review! The suddenness of it matched Kasimir's surprise visit. It was both dramatic and entertaining, which is always a good combination. I'm curious to see what you have in store for Belisarius!

I really enjoyed reading your work. While there may have been a few rough spots, it's overall a wonderful piece of writing. If you feel like some parts of my review need further explanation or just aren't good enough, please let me know. I'd gladly clear up anything about this review.

Keep up the great work (which I doubt you'll have trouble with) and good luck on your writing endeavors!




TheSilverFox says...


I've always liked this chapter more than most others? Everything fits together more easily in ways that are, like you said, both serious and funny, and the surprise is well-executed. This is also a moment where Kasimir (who tends to be amicable enough that he has chemistry with most people) has the spotlight, and that always turns out well. XD

But yeah, Kasimir and Belisarius will have a role to play in the chapters ahead, though the narrative likely neglects them at times. Still, I'm glad to see you liked their character development and personalities, among other things - thanks for the review!




Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.
— George Burns