Chapter 12.2

by TheSilverFox

Author's Notes: 1,148 words.

“I had not thought Kasimir would be unreliable, though I should have expected as much from his late-night request in that poor handwriting of his.” Alsather, dressed in white clothing, stood outside his tent and stared at the sun. He was a man obsessed with health – it made him much harder to kill – but a second was all he needed to tell him that the sun was halfway towards its peak.

The lady with the cataract eyes looked across the vast expanse of the camp. “The Mad King’s son arrived a few hours ago,” she concluded, setting down a black mat that Alsather then stood upon.

“Smelling of shit, I hear,” said Alsather before laughing. “What a fool.” He stopped, raising a hand to his mouth. “Though that is silly of me to say; I would rather not be proven wrong.”

“It has been said,” she remarked, before walking back into the tent.

He continued to watch the unfurled banners and gatherings of soldiers from the small hill upon which his own home had been set. Catharnach’s grand tent was still poised too far in the distance for him to see much, though he could swear there was a large number of soldiers darting to and from it. Within a few minutes, the lady had returned, carrying a small lens in her hand. She watched patiently with him, staring through the lens that he had imported for her from a distant country, and eventually pointed to a spot in the distance. Alsather squinted, but soon spotted a small gathering of men and women. One in the distant group unfurled a flag with a familiar emblem, leading Alsather to nod in approval and turn around.

“Bring to me a horse,” he commanded, causing his servants to run about, most grabbing spears and armor while others went towards the makeshift stables established down the hill. “I want to leave a good impression for our visitors.”

By the time he and a few compatriots were saddled and had rode down to their destination, Kasimir had been waiting for some time, though his smile was still friendly. Kasimir stamped his foot and uncrossed his arms as Alsather, kicking up a cloud of dust, leaped off his horse and handed the reins to a befuddled guard. The lady with cataract eyes joined her leader only a few seconds later, a dour expression on her face.

“What a nice reception!” said Kasimir, clasping his hands. “I had worried I would have to deliver my news to these - fine men.”

Alsather frowned. “If I had been told it was information, rather than a meeting, then you would have. However, I do not suppose it would be dignified of me to leave.”

The blonde-haired lady poked her head out from behind Kasimir and grinned. “Wouldn’t it be apt?” she said. “Turning yourself away in pride and slithering back to your hole, like the Mad King? Still, it would be so sad if you left, because I don’t enjoy being snubbed.”

“Enough with the threats,” said Kasimir through gritted teeth. The lady’s smile widened as she disappeared behind Kasimir. “The news we bring is essential. I’m sure you’ve always wanted to know how exactly Catharnach plans to kill us. We’re still victims, but not in the way you think.”

Looking about him, Alsather’s frown deepened. He said, in a voice that sounded more like a growl, “no wonder you leave Valeri to do the talking; you haven’t any talents yourself. Do you believe the Mad King has not been spying on your little parade?” Alsather straightened his shirt and scowled, causing the lady in the cataract eyes to reach for a pocket.

Watching her pull out a glass lens and peer among the surrounding tents, Kasimir’s smile faded only slightly. “It doesn’t matter anymore, because we’re not leaving.”

Alsather opened his mouth, but hesitated. After a few more seconds, his attendant placed her lens back, gestured to a few of the assembled soldiers now massing around Alsather, and marched off towards a set of black-colored tents. Alsather breathed in and spoke. “You want to make him the target, I suspect? There is still the matter of his army. And his son.”

Kasimir waved dismissively. “I want hostages. To have him and his son killed would be wonderful; it’d fix everything. No, we need to hold a united front against Wyandanch if we hope to keep our rebellion, and the Confederacy, from collapsing. To that end, we can-”

“Enough!” shouted Alsather. The soldiers behind him all stepped back in alarm as he took a few deep breaths and composed himself. “-You have said enough of your plans in public. Let us not raise suspicion that we are doing anything more than simply resisting him.” He gestured behind him to the tent on the hill. “You may tell me in my own quarters. I suppose your strategist and his friend will not be attending?”

“They’re too busy speaking with the other generals,” said Kasimir, oddly amused, as Alsather clambered onto a horse, catching up with his slowly-moving group as soldiers began to surround the Kasimir and his men. Kasimir gestured for the blonde lady to step between him and Alsather. “Pretending that the Mad King is aiming for the city, rather than our lives.”

The blonde lady looked around her and sneered. “This had better not be a game,” she said, staring up at the horse and its rider. “It would be a shame if you weren’t fast enough to run away from me.”

As she took a step closer, a dagger flew inches from her face, startling her. Jumping back in alarm, she nearly crashed into Kasimir. She watched the projectile fly past her, striking right at the wooden post holding up a tent. The structure bent and collapsed, leading to a few frustrated soldiers pulling themselves out and observing the damage as the blonde lady turned her attention to where the blade had come from. Standing silently, arm still outstretched, was the lady with the cataract eyes. She smiled innocently.

“What need do I have to be fast enough? I must only be smart enough. You are not nearly the first person who has needed that reminder.” Each word was quiet and deep. Alsather didn’t bother turning around as he continued, though his smile widened at the thought that Kasimir might look nervous. “Fear not. I need your King, madame, as only together can we stand against Catharnach. Isn’t it a marvelous game, to be at each other’s throats with the awareness that the rest of the world is watching us? The Confederacy must live. If we cannot take power quickly and resolutely, the enemies of the Confederacy will show no mercy. Catharnach is a fool to think he can kill us and build his own empire from our bodies. For this, we will crush him.”

Vervain wrote a review...

What's up, Silv! I don't think I've reviewed anything of yours before, so fair warning, I haven't read the previous chapters and I'm here to give you a good boot in the behind out of the Green Room.

First, we'll start with what I liked about the piece -- I'm not good at this part, so I'll pick out some specifics:

1. You've got some interesting characters drawing the reader into the piece. I'm really digging it from the start of the scene, and you've got some good conflict going on in this piece.

2. While your description needs some work (see critique), I'm definitely into how you're starting this off. It's killing me that my critique applies because I'm sure once this gets polished up it'll be way cooler than it is now, and it's pretty cool now.

3. Uhhhhh good writing?? I'm really not good at praising people. I'm sorry. Just remember that I tear it apart because I love it and I want to see it get so much awesomer.

Now, the critique:

1. You use entirely too many dialogue tags. They're a good thing to use, don't get me wrong, but you have people "remarking" and "concluding" when "said" would work just fine -- and more often than not, when you use "said", it's "said through gritted teeth" or "said in a voice more like a growl", and that's entirely too many words to say "growled". There's absolutely nothing wrong with leaving dialogue tags out entirely.

Keep an eye out for weird ones, too -- you don't really need to tell us that Alsather shouted when the dialogue is "Enough!", just cut it to his reaction.

2. This whole paragraph:

As she took a step closer, a dagger flew inches from her face, startling her. Jumping back in alarm, she nearly crashed into Kasimir. She watched the projectile fly past her, striking right at the wooden post holding up a tent. The structure bent and collapsed, leading to a few frustrated soldiers pulling themselves out and observing the damage as the blonde lady turned her attention to where the blade had come from.
Can be cut and changed. The syntax is entirely awful for something that's supposed to take place over a split second. Try something like this instead:
She stepped closer. A slash of metal flew past her face and buried itself in a wooden tentpole. The woman stumbled back into Kasimir and as a few soldiers jumped to attention, she turned her eyes to the place the dagger had come from.
It's more fast-paced -- in your paragraph, your sentences are way too long and don't seem to serve any purpose other than "lookit all my fancy words and description".

3. Thesaurus Syndrome. You have it bad, terrible, awful. Don't be afraid to use the same words for things in the same paragraph. Repeating exact phrases too often, or in the same sentence, can be an issue, but there's nothing wrong with calling a dagger a dagger instead of a "projectile" or a "blade".

4. You have a habit of telling the reader something you could have shown them. You don't need to explain that Alsather is obsessed with health if you show him washing his hands when no one else does, wearing only clean clothes, bathing often, taking care of his body, etc. etc. You don't need to explain absolutely everything. Even if you don't get the chance to show these things, then show him peeking at the sun for a split second and turning away to shade his eyes from the harmful glow.

All 4 of these things lead to your descriptions falling flat. It makes your writing clunky and awkward to read, and reminds your reader that they're just reading a story instead of living it.

Overall:

Shred the thesaurus.

Watch your pacing. This piece was very same-y in that the "fast-paced" parts of the scene were the exact same as the "slow-paced" parts. Work with your syntax and descriptions to make parts move faster and slower; it generates more interesting writing.

Read it out loud. Seriously. Read each and every word out loud. You'll catch typos and grammatical errors way better than just reading it in your head, because what's in your head is not what's on the page. You'll find your sentences that sound super awkward, you'll find your fragments, and you'll find mistakes you wouldn't even think of otherwise.

You've got this. Keep writing!

TheSilverFox says...

(can I steal your rewritten paragraph please) Thanks for the review! Yeahhhh, editing this thing is going to suck. I'd like to think I've gotten better since this point, but I know I haven't. You're right to call out my telling instead of showing and clunky wording and such, since it's common to my writing style. I'll keep your suggestions in mind for future chapters/edits and see what happens. I'm happy you liked the setting and characters regardless - once again, thanks!

Vervain says...

(you can totally steal it) -- and I totally dig this actually! I'll probably go back and read from the beginning so I have context, and I'll hit you up with some reviews on later chapters when I'm caught up, but that could be in a week or in a month depending on how work goes.

Legitimately, editing this is going to be beastly, but if anyone can get it done, you can. Lol. Go for it, and I'm looking forward to draft 2!

TheSilverFox says...

(thanks!) Haha yeah the earlier chapters are a bit worse, but they'll hopefully provide some context. I'm also totally fine with if/when you want to review things, especially with work and all. As for the editing, the story's already over 110k words, so writing it is challenging enough. I'm going to college in a few months, so I dunno if I'll finish, but I'd sure like to try. XD

Mageheart wrote a review...

Hello, TheSilverFox! I hope my review can do your work justice.

Grammar and Syntax

He said, in a voice that sounded more like a growl, “no wonder you leave Valeri to do the talking; you haven’t any talents yourself. Do you believe the Mad King has not been spying on your little parade?"

The "n" of "no" should be capitalized.

Characters

I like Alsather. This chapter made him seem like a smart, intelligent character with just a little bit of sass, and I love seeing how he handled everything. At the moment, it seems like he's the one holding their group together. He knows that they have to work together if they want to defeat Catharnach, but also understands that it's the only thing unifying them. Perceptive characters like that are always enjoyable to read about.

Plot

And the plot thickens! The way you've been slowly building up to the confrontation between this group and Catharnach makes the stakes seem higher. The pace of the story fits the narrative. The confrontation is certainly getting closer, but it also feels like it's still far off.

I really enjoyed reading your work. While there may have been a few rough spots, it's overall a wonderful piece of writing. If you feel like some parts of my review need further explanation or just aren't good enough, please let me know. I'd gladly clear up anything about this review.

Keep up the great work (which I doubt you'll have trouble with) and good luck on your writing endeavors!

TheSilverFox says...

Team B is so much fun to write for. XD

Yep, you captured Alsather's personality pretty well! Honestly, it can be a challenge to demonstrate the intricacy of Team B's plots, because the big three leaders all recognize they need to work together to succeed, but are also stepping on each other's toes to come out on top. I'm glad to see I successfully established these stakes and complexities, all of which will definitely show up down the road. All in all, thanks for the review!

u can't have villains exist just 2 b villains
— ShadowVyper