z

Young Writers Society


12+

Chapter 13.1 (Tails)

by TheSilverFox


Author's Notes: 2,099 words.  Ugh the italics.

The written language of Fayne, Eremia felt, was a nuisance at best. There was a symbol for each word or idea, so that it was both hard to remember and use properly. When stuck in a cramped wagon in the mid-day heat surrounded by boxes, blankets, a lamp, and assorted books, writing was the last thing on her tired mind. Naturally, Katerina was now opening a chest and peering through its contents, pulling out pieces of paper.

As she turned around and observed, Eremia could see Yorew walking behind the wagon at a steady pace. When he had been asked to leave by both girls, who found that his presence made it hard for either of them to sit or stand without touching him, he had been characteristically quiet about it. He now seemed unbothered by the heat and elements, waving aside some of the dust from his face as he focused on the wagon, though not looking directly at its passengers. It was impossible to get a read on him, which only reminded her of what Jonathan and Madeleine had told her of him beforehand.

There was no doubt in her mind that he was innocent, as she had always seen him as loyal, silent, caring, and helpful. Of course, she had felt the same way of her country, to which she now felt ambivalence and confusion. Frustrated, anxious, and pained as she was, that nagged at her the most.

Feeling something being placed on a leg, Eremia shifted her focus to it. On the piece of parchment, placed over the green dress she had been given, was scrawled one symbol. Hello.

Katerina placed a small paintbrush and bowl of ink between them. Questions swirled around Eremia’s head as she struggled to think of the symbols she wished to use. Finally, she set down the paper beside the bowl, writing down what was the front of her mind. Who are you?

More than a student, responded Katerina, after gingerly taking the quill from Eremia’s hand. I was trained to learn, watch, and spy.

Eremia glared as she read, snatching the quill from Katerina’s hand and shooting back a question.  Is that why you are with me? To watch me?

If I did, I would not tell you to be silent for an hour and avoid the eagle by writing.  Audibly sighing, Katerina handed her message to Eremia.

Is that what he is here for? Is that what he has always been here for? Eremia’s writing, in her rage, was sloppy and disorganized, causing Katerina a few moment’s confusion.

No, he has never been with us before the past few days. Madeleine has repurposed him, as he is afraid to go home, but still trusts his country and its allies. Mostly, she believes he cares for you, and there is no sense in sending him away.

Eremia felt a tinge of guilt inside her as she finished reading, her mind flashing back to when she snapped at him and when he had tried to protect Yorew. Uncomfortable, she waved for Katerina to continue writing.

You might not already know, but I am not human. I was trained to work for royalty, you see; it was my people’s agreement with Wyandanch. We were meant to be impartial guides that could bridge the gap between nations. What are the odds I should find a princess?

After hesitating, Eremia raised an eyebrow. What are you, then?

Smiling broadly, Katerina crossed her arms and shifted, sprouting red fur across her body as her face contorted and elongated to that of a fox. She sniffed with a protruding nose, her smile now eerie among her rows of teeth. This is the real me, she wrote, struggling to move the quill with clawed hands. I am now loyal to you alone. My former mistress is a nice lady, but she is not royalty.

What is she? Who are The Doves? Disturbed, Eremia struggled to read Katerina’s scratchy handwriting and found it hard to look into her face. Still, she was intrigued by Katerina and the prospect of having a loyal spy capable of answering her greatest questions. Hence, much as she wanted to leap out of the wagon, she persisted.

Katerina took away the piece of paper and pulled another one from the box, squeezing her hand in while keeping her face from bumping into the wood. The Doves are who they say they are. Seres founded them as a peacekeeping force, as you cannot stop swords with mellow words. They deal with local troubles around the Confederacy, even among the nations of the Alliance. As a small army, they cannot challenge any of the Kings, who are content to let them travel as they may. I know little of the generals, though I can say Madeleine is from the lion’s country. So is Alarick.

A name flashed into Eremia’s mind, dissipating as quickly as she tried to write it down. El… she began, before staring at the quill in intense frustration.

Katerina took the quill from Eremia’s hand and finished the word. Elchanan, yes. I am surprise you know so little of the world around you. You are aware they border Exedor, right?

Yes, responded Eremia without hesitation. Yet, I do not know much about them. My parents allowed me to visit the country’s borders with them, but I did not personally come to see negotiations. Visitors, travelers, and books have taught me about the Confederacy and some of the surrounding countries, but not much about their cultures or people. You cannot believe how much the world has grown for me.

For once, Katerina raised an eyebrow, mixing surprise with, of all things, expectance. It seems your parents have raised an insulated heir. We feared as much.

Why do you fear Exedor? wrote Eremia, hand shaking as she did so. Her breathing quavered.

We do not fear them, per se; we are wary of them. The eagle is not the first to run to us with news of being threatened. From what we have heard, Exedor keeps a constant smile on its face, though it is secretly strict and demanding. Perhaps it is nothing. One must go to extreme measures to survive in this world, so they might be a dictatorship out of necessity. Still, when you talked with the eagle – Aquila, was it not? – you were genuinely surprised to learn about your country’s actions.

Eremia scrunched her face in concentration. Yes, I was, she admitted. I am the daughter of the King and Queen, so I should know what they are doing, and I have seen them do nothing like what you say. Once more, Katerina replaced the paper.

Precisely – you should know, but you do not. I imagine your parents rarely speak to you, and your teachers never mention the country’s internal affairs. That is why we are more wary of them, as we do not know what they have planned for you. I wish they had told you.

It was hard to be any angrier and more confused than she was. Eremia felt increasingly tired as she wrote a sloppy response. Why did they not?

I imagine they thought you would react better to seeing it, not being told of it. I suppose it only made you defensive.

Can I trust you? Eremia resorted to lying down on her belly, legs barely dangling out of the wagon.

Katerina gasped and looked hurt. I gave you more of an explanation than they did. You have every reason not to trust me, but I am devoted to you. Do you have a choice?

Sighing, Eremia accepted the pen from Katerina. Fine. I do not think I can apologize to the eagle…I just realized he has the same name as the Lord of the Eagles. How should I refer to him?

Call him Aquila for now, but he probably has the formal name Aquila the Lesser. The Lord is Aquila the Greater, thanks to a large number of parents having the same idea as our friend’s.

I can do that. Still, I do not know if any of you – him included – can judge my country. How about you tell me about the generals?

Katerina tapped a claw on her chin, closing her eyes and humming. She still easily grasped the quill as Eremia handed it to her, and soon attempted to write. About as much as you know. Terasu could only be less secret if she screamed her identity to passerby. Jonathan is a royal from Eimhin, and Ceinen, I was told, was found and picked up by the doves after escaping his home in Eimhin, back when the Mad King instigated a genocide. Everything else has been kept a secret between the generals. The papers that do exist are with Alarick, but he watches them constantly. I cannot wrest them from him; I am a spy, not a fighter.

Holding her head in her hands, Eremia scowled at the paper. Would it not be simpler if everyone was honest?

Honesty is a vague concept, and those who are fully honest usually end up dead. Katerina tried to replace the paper with a new one, but Eremia held one corner of it in a quick movement and finished reading. If she was upset, Katerina did not show it, choosing instead to briefly yelp in surprise and clamping a hand over her own mouth.

So, wrote Eremia after accepting the pen from Katerina, who kept a hand over her mouth while pulling out another strip of paper. What did you mean when you said you would be loyal to me?

It took a minute for Katerina to contemplate a response. You may do with me what you would like. My roles are all under your supervision, so you can have me spy on, listen to, or investigate the camp as you see fit. My old leader now has no more control over me, so she might be understandably furious. Still, this is what I have dreamed for; it is what I have been raised for over my entire life. I am happy that I should be so fortunate to find you.

Eremia thought about this. Katerina acted legitimate and cooperative at every possible opportunity. She had warned Eremia about Aquila’s spying on them, was personable to a fault, and everything Katerina wrote made sense. By now, even as uncomfortable as the truth was, it was hard to accuse Katerina of being a liar. As far as Eremia could conclude, she now had a faithful attendant, one capable of providing her the truth about her surroundings. Still, if Katerina really did transfer her own responsibilities from Madeleine, there was the possibility Eremia would start out on a poor footing with The Doves. Besides, the thought of being able to watch people made Eremia intensely uncomfortable; as interesting as she found the concept, she enjoyed privacy and quietness, and didn’t want to wish anything less on anyone else.

My first request is that you continue to inform Madeleine, began Eremia. She looked up to see Katerina’s dejected expression and hastily continued. You are still welcome to talk to me, and I would like that you inform me about every time I am in a conversation. I just do not want to intrude on the privacy of others. All I want to do is look for my brother.

Katerina uneasily accepted the pen from Eremia, her hand more shaky than usual as she wrote. I do not like Madeleine, as she is so easily frustrated, but you are my lady. I will give you my report as quickly as I can find you, and I wish you the best of luck finding your brother, though you may not like what you will see.

I already have not. As for now, I am tired, and I would like to rest. Thank you.

No, thank you, for giving me my purpose. Is it fine if I sleep here?

Yes.

As she flopped onto a pile of blankets and sighed a breath of relief at the way the tension in her back subsided, Eremia watched as Katerina pulled a small box from the larger one and gently placed the pot of ink within it. Everything was put away in less than a minute, and Katerina curled up around another blanket on the opposite side of the wagon. Eremia relaxed as the beat of her heart and the rolling wheels beneath her synchronized, and her eyes slowly closed as she looked at the tarp above her head. In short order, both fell asleep.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:12 pm
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



Hmmm. Okay, so I'm having trouble coming up with things to say about this because a) I haven't read the rest of the story and b) it's a loooooooot of telling. Basically an infodump chapter, only...not too bad? because of the way you wrote it. You included a lot of details like Katerina's hesitation in responding to Eremia's questions, Eremia's hands shaking as she writes, and even how annoying and difficult the language is to work with.

That said...holy mother of information, Batman!

which is something I'm really bad at writing so maybe I'm not qualified to review it, but...yeah. Always a struggle when a character (and the reader) needs to know something, but also you don't want to give in to a whole conversation or chapter where all that happens is the passing out of information, but also people really need to know this.

(Although sae said it's one of her favorite chapters, so, not having read the rest, I guess I have to defer to her opinion.)

I found it a little weird that Eremia's tutors literally never taught her about the inner workings of her own country? Like, okay. For one thing, do her parents actually think what they're doing is wrong? Because I find that in real life a lot of people who do terrible things to their countries either legit don't think it's wrong OR don't care and are more concerned about doing what's best for *them* than what's best for their people. In either of these scenarios, I don't understand why they wouldn't teach Eremia their ways, especially if they want her to take over the kingdom someday. She needs to understand how it works so she can lead effectively, even if their idea of effective leadership is to do terrible things to the people.

Plus, the earlier they start teaching her these things, the more likely she is to accept them as correct. Which also makes it that much harder for her later when she realizes it's wrong - although I caught the allusions in this chapter to how she loves her country but now realizes that it's seriously messed up.

cough cough me with America cough cough




TheSilverFox says...


I'm a poor writer in general, so whether you like a chapter is entirely up to you. And yeah, it's definitely an infodump chapter. You're right in that there's a lot of things I needed to explain at that point. Also, Eremia had been this big skeptic for the past few chapters, and she needed someone to help break her out of her shell. I may have to trim this scene down a bit in editing, but I still like the role it serves. Lastly, the reason Eurynome and Trevonn have been keeping their children insulated is, uh, waaaay too spoilery, but I can say there is one, and they definitely believe they're doing the right thing. Whether they are is a matter of debate.

haha yeah I feel the same way

All in all, thanks for the review!



TheSilverFox says...


fff I hope that didn't sound mean. Sae is a fantastic writer/reviewer, and she definitely has plenty of things figured out story-wise. I guess something bugs me about deferring to sae, though not because of her judgment itself, if that make sense?



BluesClues says...


Lol yeah that's fine. I thought it sounded more mean to yourself than anything else. "I'm a poor writer in general" psh self-burn much? It was an infodump chapter, and fresh eyes can certainly provide a helpful/different viewpoint, but since I haven't kept up with the story I figure it's only fair to mention that my views on a chapter might not be the best! If I was reading this as a published book, I'd obviously be reading it from the beginning, so I might have a different opinion.



TheSilverFox says...


yeahhh I make a lot of self-burns, out of either frustration or as a bad defense mechanism. >.>

And yeah, I'll keep your review in mind, especially when I edit the heck out of this thing. The more perspectives, the better!



BluesClues says...


Lol I usually do the opposite, like when people are like "you're awesome!" I'm like "I know" or when they're like "omg I love you" I'm like "yeah I have that effect on people."



TheSilverFox says...


haha when people say that I tend to hide in a corner and go "nuh-uh you're wrong." XD



User avatar
590 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 590

Donate
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:19 pm
Mageheart wrote a review...



Hello, TheSilverFox! I hope my review can do your work justice.

Grammar and Syntax

Feeling something being placed on a leg, Eremia shifted her focus to it.


I'm assuming you're talking about Eremia's leg here, so I suggest switching out "a leg" to "her leg" to avoid confusion. The wording is a bit awkward as it is.

Characters

Honesty is a vague concept, and those who are fully honest usually end up dead.


While I love this line for the sake of how quotable it is, I also love it for showing Katerina's character. Katerina seems like an interesting addition to the cast. She's wise enough to write instead of speak to prevent Aquila from overhearing them, but there's a more pessimistic side to her view of the world. The few things mentioned about her past hints at some tragic stuff that shaped her into the person she is now, but the vagueness in how you expressed it still leaves room for elaboration further along in the story.

Plot

This chapter was a fun one because of how the conversation was conveyed. You did a great job expressing the emotions through the ways they wrote, and the little details - like Katerina struggling to use the quill when she changed forms - really added to the moment. I've never seen a chapter quite like it before in anything I read. I think it's one of my favorites so far.

I'm not sure if you've mentioned the Doves by name before and I'm completely pulling a blank, but I was thrown for a loop when Eremia initially mentioned them. The rest of the chapter helped me infer what she was talking about, but some sort of transition into the conversation would be beneficial. As of right now, the conversation seems unprovoked. Katerina just transformed, and they had previously been talking about Aquila. A little thought or comment on Eremia's part would help to prevent that.

Keep up the great work (which I doubt you'll have trouble with) and good luck on your writing endeavors!




TheSilverFox says...


Yep, lots of very good points here. I know I did a horrible job explaining that Team A is The Doves, so, for future edits, I'll definitely make references to it earlier on for the sake of clarity. Also yeah, the conversation does feel a bit unprovoked - it would be nice to have Eremia think and go "well, if Madeleine's part of this group, I might as well ask about the group" (not in those words, but you get the idea). And yeah, Katerina is actually one of the more optimistic people in Team A? She has something of a cautious optimism, where she hopes for the best, but she knows how things can go wrong. All in all, I'm happy that you enjoyed this chapter - thanks for the review!




You got rid of them. Yes, that's just like you. Getting rid of everything unpleasant instead of learning to put up with it.
— Aldous Huxley, Brave New World