z

Young Writers Society



Those Three Words

by InfiniteRectangles


Everyone knows those three words
Those three that are supposed to have meaning
Though I feel that their importance is weaning
For everyone is so quick to use them

Everyone knows those three words
So beautiful in concept, but they’ve been corrupted
Like a dormant volcano that suddenly erupted
Now they burn with lust rather than affection

Everyone knows those three words
That can never go back to the way they were
So simple and sweet, they make your heart stir
Now they might get you sex, but nothing more.

What exactly are those three words?
You should be familiar by now
But just in case I’ve confused you somehow:
The three words are “Netflix and chill?”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 60

Donate
Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:54 pm
copgraveyard wrote a review...



this is okay.

okay, i didn't really find this funny. you could see the ending a mile away. the "netflix and chill" joke is basically a dead horse, and this is just stomping on it. the buildup is mediocre, as it uses simple and elementary rhymes to create something generic. there is nothing new in this poem leading up to the punchline, which, once again, is just silly. i recommend bringing in variation instead of making something so bland and boring to garner laughs.

thanks.




User avatar
46 Reviews


Points: 5
Reviews: 46

Donate
Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:28 pm
View Likes
KingQueenKnave wrote a review...



A poem of deception, though by the end of the third stanza I began to see the trick. I did like it, though, and honestly expected "I love you" to be the three words. Although, as tends to happen on this site, the reliance on current pop culture references is a bit too strong, though not nearly as prevalent as some of ones on the Top 100 literary spotlight.

The repetition works, as does the consistent rhyming pattern, which sort of reads like a sonnet would, making the poem interesting. Consistent punctuation appears, as does the humour which you have intended. The third stanza and its closing line made me laugh too. It just appeared rather like, "whoa, I didn't expect that".

Your last stanza feels like both surprising and a letdown. I expected it not to be love, on reflection. However, your inclusion of "Netflix and chill" feels like a joke with a great set-up but with an anti-climactic punchline. I don't oppose modern references nor archaic ones, but it would have been funnier if it were something of your own creation.

Perhaps improving that last part of the poem will change the entire meaning of it, but that is down to personal taste. The rest of the poem is good.




User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:15 pm
View Likes
Lightsong wrote a review...



This review is brought by Read and Review Shop

Hey, InfiniteRectangles, I'm here for the requested review! :D Keep in mind poetry is not my forte, so it's not going to be as constructive a criticism as it is for prose.

First, I would like to say your use of punctuations is inconsistent. Stanza one is completely devoid of it, second stanza has a comma, third has a comma and a period, while the last has punctuations such as question mark and dialogue tags. Keep it consistent. For me, I prefer the modern structured poem in which each stanza is line breaks with punctuations helping them to make out a sentence(s) when put together. You can look at it more here.

Also, the first stanza is telling to much. I think the repetition of "Everyone knows those three words" don't hold a strong meaning to the poem since it's basically a statement of a known fact. Therefore, you don't need to emphasize that. Maybe you can change it around to "The three words are beautiful but now tainted" as the repetition since you're emphasizing what you're trying to convey.

Due to being a bit too much telling, I suggest you to put an imagery to the first stanza. Losing meaning can be imagined in many ways. Here's some tweaking I've made:

The three words are beautiful, but now tainted -
they hold meaning to those who utter them
but it weakens and weakens like lightbulb dimming
for it has been use too much and too easily.


Not only I put a simple imagery to this ("lightbulb dimming") but I also do not refer to myself by using "I", and it makes the stanza more as an observation rather than an opinion. A minor removal of certain word can alter the tone of the stanza.

Everyone knows those three words
So beautiful in concept, but they’ve been corrupted
Like a dormant volcano that suddenly erupted
Now they burn with lust rather than affection


The imagery for the second stanza is lovely and fitting as it shows how "they burn with lust rather than affection", but it doesn't in line with the second line ("So beautiful in concept, but they've been corrupted"). Is a dormant volcano erupting can be compared to something beautiful but corrupted? Isn't it erupting is just a natural phenomenon? Here we can see although creating imagery is sometimes easy, finding the right one is a bit difficult. How about water lily? If I recall correctly, it can grow around muds, and you can use that to represent something beautiful but corrupted.

Everyone knows those three words
That can never go back to the way they were
So simple and sweet, they make your heart stir
Now they might get you sex, but nothing more.


The third stanza has a cliche line - "So simple and sweet, they make your heart stir". I think you can do something else with the heart that makes it not obviously cliche. Maybe "They grab your heart and make it stop beating"? Anyhow, try to present something fresh for the same meaning. Also, the last line throws me off. Here we're using "your heart stir" to tell someone is "nervous or excited or something along that line", a subtle way to tell it, and here you directly tell us "Now they might get you sex, but nothing more". Is there a subtle way to tell it to keep the general subtleness of the poem? Like, "They award you the best night, and in the morning, everything is gone"? But yeah, keep the subtlety consistent.

What exactly are those three words?
You should be familiar by now
But just in case I’ve confused you somehow:
The three words are “Netflix and chill?”


This line is okay. I think an imagery isn't really needed here - it's okay to have a stanza devoid of imagery if it's short. This is where the humor you're trying to reach gain its momentum, which makes us chuckles, because the previous stanzas are all serious and pessimist, we've no idea how this poem can be humorous. But you deliver it here, so nice job (although I did have to find what "Netflix and chill" is in Google since I've never used Netflix xD). I'm just confused how Netflix and chill is something beautiful and whatnot, rather than something casual and enjoyable. But this confusion is overshadowed by the humorous revelation of the last line, so it's okay.

And that is all! You've got the hang of the writing poetry - what you need to improve is making more imagery and keep the punctuations consistent (depending on the form of poem you're using). :D




User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 885
Reviews: 31

Donate
Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:12 am
FallenAngel97 wrote a review...



Wow! This is really funny! I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention! For most of the poem I was expecting it to "I love you" or something sweet like that, but I really liked the surprise ending! Well done! Really the only thing I would suggest is to not generalize your audience. Don't use words like "everyone" "no one" and "anyone". Also make your rhymes less forced. Other than that I like this a lot! Never stop writing cause you're really great at it!! :D




User avatar
346 Reviews


Points: 37216
Reviews: 346

Donate
Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:11 am
Pretzelstick wrote a review...



I love Rydia,. Hello! So you asked me to review this for you on my thread and so here I am.

First of all, this concept, where the idea came from, I think is a creative way to put it and also I was pretty amused by it. I think that you could work a lot on your execution though, just so that this reads better, if you see what I mean.

Everyone knows those three words


I once heard someone give me the advice of "never use the words anyone or noone" the reason being that is your generalizing all of the readers that will read this, thinking that everyone knows what this is and they have heard of it. Until very recently, I didn't even know that "Netflix and chill" was a thing, the first time that I heard it was in my class about a month ago. Also, believe it or not, I don't have Netflix at all, because my parents don't want it at all. I would just cut that out and substitute it with something else.

That can never go back to the way they were
So simple and sweet, they make your heart stir.

I personally think here, that these two lines are very cliche, because they are kind of just thrown in there. Like the first one in this quote, I can't even make sense of this, because to me personally it doesn't make any sense about the meaning. If every poem there should be meaning that comes out, because that's the point of writing one, isn't it?

Like a dormant volcano that suddenly erupted

So here, this is probably your only solid imagery that you used, (which you should be using more imagery and description, btw) but it seems sorta weak because I guess that I don't understand how this volcano erupts while doing "netflix and chill."?

Now they burn with lust rather than affection


This is my favorite line, because I find it true but very disturbing that these emotions are changing.

You should be familiar by now


I don't know why you are trying to give us this "puzzle" and make us figure it out, because throughout this whole poem you are so vague and not detailed. If you want us to solve this, you need to provide subtle hints and more detail that suggests that this is the answer. Building suspense throughout the piece, or even momentum is pretty important, so if you do that consistently, then maybe the reader will guess? Because I didn't know what you were talking about until the end.

I have heard from a lot of smartest poets that rhyme shouldn't matter in your poems. It isn't a key component, and if it seems forced, like it does right here, I would suggest that you completely just drop it, and re-structure and re-write this whole poem in general, so that it flows more naturally?

That's all that i have to say. I hope that this improves your poetry, and if you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask.

~P.S.




User avatar
377 Reviews


Points: 119
Reviews: 377

Donate
Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:11 pm
View Likes
Snazzy wrote a review...



Hello! :D
Snazzy here to review your poem! I have to start out, with this is pretty stinkin' good. ;) The ending was unexpected, and well, funny! Good job with a great ending! Anyway, time for the review!

Everyone knows those three words


What exactly are those three words?


I understand you're trying to get to the part where you can finally say the 'three words', but I don't think this is the way. In each stanza you repeat the line "Everyone knows those three words" , only to say the exact opposite in the last stanza. I just think it seems a bit counterproductive, I guess. (Not the word I'm looking for... xD)

Other Suggestions:
Like Felistia already mentioned, you're rhyming seems a bit forced. Trust me, being a firm-believer in rhyming poems, I know how tough this can be. ;) If you try and even out the lines by making them about the same length, I believe this could help. Example:
You should be familiar by now
but just in case I've confused you somehow

This is really the one that caught my eye while reading. Line A has 8 syllables, and B has 10. Really, it's not too bad, but it can make it seem like "now" and "somehow" do not rhyme, even though they kind of do.

Anyway, that's all I found! Overall, it's a pretty nice poem! :) I like poems that build up in suspense to something the reader thinks they know what it is going to say in the end, only to be something completely different. xD Good job, and keep writing!

~Snazz Pizzazz
(if you have any questions, feel free to PM me! ;) )




User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 58
Reviews: 77

Donate
Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:30 pm
RadiantShadow says...



OK so this is my review :)

As a poem the structure is good, I like the fact you followed the rhyme scheme (abba cddc etc) I know its not easy :) I love the face you left the punch line till the very end I did not expect that at all.

The use of repetition of the first line throughout the poem gave the poem a sense of seriousness which was a great touch. The use of diction was impressive they helped set the tone of poem and bring out a sense of tension. This tension reached its peak in the last stanza and it was a great way to end the poem very ingenious!

Overall, I loved it, very simple yet funny. You did a great job.




User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 58
Reviews: 77

Donate
Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:29 pm
RadiantShadow wrote a review...



OK so this is my review :)

As a poem the structure is good, I like the fact you followed the rhyme scheme (abba cddc etc) I know its not easy :) I love the face you left the punch line till the very end I did not expect that at all.

The use of repetition of the first line throughout the poem gave the poem a sense of seriousness which was a great touch. The use of diction was impressive they helped set the tone of poem and bring out a sense of tension. This tension reached its peak in the last stanza and it was a great way to end the poem very ingenious!

Overall, I loved it, very simple yet funny. You did a great job.




User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 58
Reviews: 77

Donate
Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:17 pm
RadiantShadow says...



Amazing! You managed to make me laugh. keep it up :D




User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 104
Reviews: 77

Donate
Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:26 am
MemoryHunter says...



NETFLIX AND CHILL XD I didn't expect that (until the third stanza). I love this HAHAHA




User avatar
524 Reviews


Points: 7146
Reviews: 524

Donate
Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:00 am
felistia wrote a review...



Hi InfiniteRectangles, Felistia here with the review you requested. :D

Okay so I am just going to say that I am not as good at reviewing poetry compered to short stories or novels.
Now on with the review.

I like that you use the term three words and don't tell the reader what they are until the very last line. You used a lot of descriptive metaphors like dormant volcano, I really liked that since it made the poem more interesting. Now it might just be me, but I find the last line a bit of a let down. That is probably the dew to the fact that I don't get it.

One last nit-pick I don't like the last word in the line (Though I feel that their importance is weaning) I know that you have a rhyming pattern, but this rhyme feel very forced. By the way love the rhyming scheme, I know that it is hard.

That is all from me for now and I look forward to more of your work. Never stop writing and I hope you have a great day\night. :D





I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
— Walt Disney