Early Morning Escape

by InfiniteRectangles

There is not much that's better
Than a good book and a cuppa joe
In the morning I fix myself a cup
And find a good spot to curl up and read
I cherish these mornings of peace
Because I know that the rest of my day
Will be filled with chaos and stress
It's during these early mornings that
I can put my mind at ease
I can escape my busy life for awhile
And do something just for me
It's during these early mornings that
I can let myself be free

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:29 am
Tylexie wrote a review...

I think this poem is very relatable. Many people find peace in the morning with a good book, and the way the message is conveyed is great. My favorite lines are:

I cherish these mornings of peace
Because I know that the rest of my day
Will be filled with chaos and stress

I think it flows really well. Also, the "I cherish these mornings of peace," seems like a clever play off of "I cherish these moments of peace." I almost found myself saying that, but I caught myself, and I think that's how it should be. You've portrayed 2 meanings by only saying the one word.

Also, I love that you're kind of rhyming, but not really. It's almost like when I read it, my brain thinks it rhymes, but then when I scrutinize it I realize it actually doesn't. I appreciate that.

Overall, it's a really nice poem.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:44 am
Virgil wrote a review...

Hi there infiniterectangles! This is Nikayla here dropping here in for a review.

Minimalism! That's what I see in this short poem of yours. I'm unsure if I've reviewed poetry of yours before, but no matter because we're jumping right in nonetheless. That being said, I found this poem to be a little informal? The way of using 'cuppa joe' instead of just saying 'coffee' adds flavour to the poem. I wanted more of that. I wanted more flavour added into the poem via the word choice being a bit more unique and the language to be spicy.

I don't normally want to see this happen in poetry unless it's already introduced or teased though I think it could add more to this poem seeing as this is a little...standard? I don't want to say boring because this isn't boring, the subject matter of early mornings while reading books in peace with coffee is just already done before in a way. That doesn't mean that I dislike this poem either because the execution is what matters here and I especially enjoyed the usage of repetition here.

Actually, that's also something I wanted to mention--breaking off into a new stanza might be a nice idea. There are pros and cons to doing this as the poem flows quite well into the second usage of repetition. This depends on what you're wanting to do with this and if you're wanting to expand on the details or not. I can see both being strong. As this is, this is pretty simplistic though at the same time put together well. Nice job on that! Hopefully it's what you were aiming for with this poem.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:22 pm
EmPanda15 wrote a review...

I love how you both do and don't rhyme, because it gives the poem a nice rhythm to it. I enjoyed reading this poem because it was relatable and overall fun to read.
It is not bad to use comas or periods, especially when you are finished with a statement in the poem.
Pausing the poem gives it a nice effect, and coma/periods essentially pause the poem. You can use a little bit more detail describing the morning, but overall, I really liked this poem and enjoyed reading it.
I really do recommend comas and periods for a better effect.
Good job on this cool and relatable poem.

"It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be."
— Albus Dumbledore