If Every Creature Ceased to Know Their Worth

by InfiniteRectangles

Oh, how sweet is the song of a songbird,
How elegantly they soar.
How swift is the speed of a cheetah,
How mightily they roar.

The fox's wit is quick,
The owl's wisdom is vast.
The porcupine's needles stick,
The tree's shadow is cast.

Everything in nature has its place,
And you, my dear, do too.
Don't ever think that you are worthless,
For that simply isn't true.

If the birds thought they couldn't sing,
Their songs we'd never hear.
If the crickets believed their chirps were annoying,
They would cease to fill our ears.

Could you imagine a world where every creature
Ceased to know their worth?
Could you imagine a world with silent nature
With no music to bring forth?

Even the insects burrowed deep in the ground
Know their importance is true.
If the songbird can sense the beauty in its sound,
Then why, my dear, can't you?

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:33 am
DefianceDagger says...

Whoa, this almost made me cry! This has to be the best poem I've read on here so far! I loved your two opening lines,

"Oh, how sweet is the song of a songbird,
How elegantly they soar."

It instantly drew me in. I loved your rhyming scheme--I can't rhyme my poems to save my life--but anyway, I would recommend using the word "Can you," instead of the word, "Could you." I think it would just make it flow better but that's just my opinion so you don't have to take it.

"Even the insects burrowed deep in the ground
Know their importance is true."

I found those lines a tad confusing. Maybe say, "Know their importance here/in this word/have their place.

Anyway, hope this helped!

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:33 am
DefianceDagger says...

How elegantly they soar."

Know their importance is true."

Anyway, hope this helped!

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:59 pm
DefianceDagger says...

How elegantly they soar."

Know their importance is true."

Anyway, hope this helped!

Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:31 pm
DefianceDagger wrote a review...

How elegantly they soar."

Know their importance is true."

Anyway, hope this helped!

Eternity wrote a review...

I'm just going to start off and say wow. This poem is beautiful. I can feel the physical emotion in this piece. It's stunning.
I do like the structure of this poem with the ABAB rhyme scheme. A tiny thing though, it's the first four lines that is an ABCB rhyme scheme. I'm not sure if that's how you wanted it but it's just something I noticed. Other than that, you wrote a beautiful piece and I do think the topic is lovely. You really brought light onto self-worth. (Sorry if this review doesn't make much sense.)

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:38 am
armisael wrote a review...

This is exceptional!! The traditional rhyme scheme and positive attitude are simply fantastic. It's really quite nice to read something so innocently uplifiting like this. The pacing was a little off at some points, as in the varying line length threw me off at a few points, but that hardly detracts from the poem at all. In short, this is a very nice change of tone from similar poems that could have a different attitude in how they deliver their message. They're all still good and have important messages! This is just very refreshing and well-written. Great work!

RubyRed wrote a review...

Hello, InfiniteRectangles! Thanks for requesting a review. I hope you find this helpful. I really, really loved this! I do have some nitpicks for you though. I know, one can never be satisfied.

How elegantly they soar.
How swift is the speed of a cheetah,
How mightily they roar.

So, for the rest of the poem you have the ABAB rhyme and at the beginning it's ABCB. That isn't a very big problem but I think it world be better if it was ABAB throughout the whole thing. I can't see how you'd make that work but it doesn't matter that much.

Know their importance is true.
Then why, my dear, can't you?

Somebody's in love. Admit it! Hahaha, anyway this was my favorite part of the poem. I don't have anything else to say because you didn't put many mistakes into your poem. Stay blessed. Keep writing so I can keep reviewing!

~Keepwriting

P.s. It was so pretty. <3

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:34 am
mihaivisan wrote a review...

Hi! Just some quick ideas I had while reading:

I liked the rhythm of the stanzas; however, here and there, I felt like there were some lines that didn't really fit in. For example, I would say "The shadow of the tree is cast" (instead of "The tree's shadow is cast"). Or, the line "If the crickets believed their chirps are annoying" was long and - for me - it broke the flow of the stanza; maybe transform it into "If the crickets thought they were annoying". The last line that stood out to me was "Even the insects burrowed deep in the ground" - the word "burrowed" seemed too much, I would get rid of it and simply make it "Even the insects deep in the ground".

I know it's not easy to hear somebody criticising your work, but remember: it's only my opinion.

On the positive side: I loved the message. It's very positive, something that I never write about - ha ha - and it is refreshing to read something like this. I liked how you showed that every single piece of this world that we live in has a place and a purpose and - I don't know if this is what you meant, it's only my interpretation - since we are part of this world too, we should not forget about ours.

Keep writing; have a great day!

AMDDOG says...

I just wanted to say I absolutely adore this poem.

Thank you! :)

fandomsNmusic wrote a review...

Hello! Fandomsnmusic here for a short little review. ;)

This is another thing today that just.... Struck me. I can't even write a proper review, this is so beautiful. I've said that a lot of times today but this takes the prize. I love this poem because it's so true! The message you put into this poem is a strong one and an important one.

Your flow is amazing; not one thing is out of place. There isn't anything here that disrupts the flow, nothing is misspelled, all of these words are used right. You're an amazing poet. I can't stop repeating myself: This is amazing!

This is my favorite poem of all the poems I've seen all week! Keep it up, Infinite Rectangles!

Never stop writing, ever.
fandomsnmusic

Thank you so much for your kind words! :D

Absolutely :)

“It doesn’t matter what you are, it only matters what you do. It’s your choice.”
— Sam Winchester