z

Young Writers Society



To Slaughter, Incinerate, Run Over with a Quacking Tractor, Murder, Shred, Feed to Rabid Bunnies, Blow up, and Exile a Mocking Bird

by HolographicLadybug


~Only my matter of opinion. You have been warned~

It starts like so

and ends that way.

No harm, nothing done

unless you’re me.

.

Classic Literature, you say?

Well I say a shame of a book,

an insult to writers everywhere.

I can’t see why you’re so obsessed

about that [censored]ing mockingbird.

.

Awful writing,

bad characters with no development or meaning,

no plot whatsoever.

An awful story,

the one about unvaried mockingbirds.

.

Don’t take it lightly when I say this,

‘cause I read a lot of books,

that the one about the mockingbird

is the worst I’ve ever read

.

What are you thinking?

Get a brain!

The book isn’t that special!

You only like it

'cause the norm,

everybody says so

.

A thorn in my side

as everyone obsesses

about that dang mocking bird

that is the worst I’ve ever read.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
79 Reviews


Points: 250
Reviews: 79

Donate
Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:50 pm
Sevro wrote a review...



Haha, hey Ladybug! Happy reviewing!

This was so funny! I completely agree, the book is very dry, and has an "old" feeling to it. When we had to read it for English, and the teacher asked us if we enjoyed it afterwards, everyone was looking at each other, wondering who was going to be the first one to lie and say "yeah it was okay..."! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who doesn't like the "American Classic". If that's classic now, then I can't wait to see what's classic when I get older, because it can really only get better.

Now, let's get to your poem. Your use of capitals was weird, to say the least. At some points, where it was supposed to be the beginning of a new sentence, you capitalized the first letter. Other times, you didn't. I understand that poetry doesn't always follow the same grammar rules as other literary genres, but most poets are at least consultant with their choice. It would make the poem much more readable if that choice was clearer.

You also repeat a lot. "That dang mockingbird" is used twice, and simply "the mockingbird" is used more often than that. I know that there aren't many choices on what to call a mockingbird other than "a mockingbird" but get creative! Say, "that useless fowl" or "the flying abomination of literature". Think outside the box, and your poem's diversity will continue to grow.

Maybe instead of saying "Get a brain!" you could say "Use your brain!" because people who read it probably have a literal brain, but they aren't using their own when they say they like the book. They are using a collective brain, the popular brain, if you will.

This was very well written, and I agree with you wholeheartedly! Let me know if this review helped you out!

~Caterpickle






YEEEESSSS!!!!!!!!! SOMEONE WHO AGREES WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the review. I'll look into doing some editing. :)





Oh, and yes, it did help. :)



User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 6670
Reviews: 60

Donate
Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:22 pm
Meerkat wrote a review...



Hi, HolographicLadybug!

Full disclosure, I can't fully agree with your opinion here. In fact, To Kill a Mockingbird was one of the only school-forced books I read that I semi-enjoyed. Still, I completely understand the feeling of absolutely loathing something that everyone else seems to adore (Romeo and Juliet, ninth grade English. Ugh.) Just remember that you are not alone!

Now then, on to poetry...
Stanza 1: good intro to the topic, effectively sets up your tone for the rest of the poem.
Stanza 2: I think the first letter of "literature" should be lowercase in this phrase, but I'm not one hundred percent sure.
Stanza 3: the "a" in "awful" needs capitalization, unless this is a stylistic choice. Also, the descriptor "awful" is repeated, so maybe choose a synonymous adjective.
Stanza 4: nothing much to say here. Good anticipation of possible counterarguments, too.
Stanza 5: as was mentioned by Odd, the word " 'cause " might be better off included in another line.
Stanza 6: repetition of "that dang mockingbird" made nice use of a cuss to express emotion.

Overall, a very entertaining poem. It was made especially memorable due to the title. Humorous and impassioned throughout, I found this really engaging.

Have a great day, and thank you for writing!




User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 3386
Reviews: 38

Donate
Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:43 am
Odd wrote a review...



Hello, here to review this extremely good-natured review poem that you wrote.

The first stanza is very good. It catches my attention, it flows nicely, it hooks the reader with the last verse. The second stanza is also good, and the last verse, again, gives it more flow and interest that makes me want to keep reading your poem. In the third stanza, you completely lose the flow. Now, this may have been done on purpose, and perhaps you only did it to reflect the way you evidently got very angry that they made you read such a book. However, for the reader, it is not very pleasant and it only sounds as if you cut up a sentence and divided it into different verses. Of course, this may be only my opinion.

Now, in the fifth stanza, you have a verse that is made up entirely of the word 'cause. That word is not even an entire word by itself, so I find that it is too short to make a whole verse out of it. Perhaps put it in the beginning of the next verse.

There is nothing wrong with the poem apart from that, and although I do not completely agree with your opinion, I do not completely disagree either. It may not be the funnest book to read, but the message behind it is very powerful, and remember that the book was written at a time were the equality of two races was a very present subject. Although, I respect your opinion, since I, myself was not enthralled by the book. I am just saying, it is not complete rubbish either.

Also, your title is very good. Saying it comes out of the norm would be an understatement, but already that is something that catches the reader's attention and hooks us into your poem. All in all, good job on this poem. I'd be interested to read any other of your satires. Good job and keep on writing!




User avatar
119 Reviews


Points: 4497
Reviews: 119

Donate
Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:06 pm
InfiniteRectangles wrote a review...



Haha I got a good laugh out of this! I have personally never read To Kill a Mockingbird, but this makes me wary to! Personally, the worst book I have ever read is The Scarlet Letter. Oh. my. God. It sucked. If you've never read it, don't. (Or better yet, do! So you can write another poem like this about it lol)

There really isn't much to review here. This was absolutely hilarious and well written in my opinion. The only thing I'd suggest is to be more consistent with your punctuation. While poetry doesn't have many rules, especially with punctuation, if you decide to add it, it needs to be consistent. You have your lines set up in a sentence-like structure, but then at the point where the "sentence" would end, there is no period. For example:

"It starts like so

and ends that way

No harm, nothing done

unless you’re me."

In this stanza, you have two sentences, but only one period. If you out a period after "way", then it will correct this issue.

That's really all I have for you. This is definitely one of the funniest book reviews I have ever read and I absolutely love the title! (even though it's a little long, it's eye-catching and funny.) Keep writing and have a wonderful day/ night!






Thanks for the review! I'm going to fix the punctuation thing (you've got a point) right away.
I'll make sure never to read the Scarlett Letter. But don't let anyone tell you how 'good' To Kill a Mockingbird. SAVE YOURSELF FROM THE TERROR AND ABUSE! ;)




sometimes i don't consider myself a poet but then i remember that i literally write poetry
— chikara