A Fool's Bucket - Ch. 16.3

by ExOmelas

Pires nodded vigorously and beckoned for Alkset to follow her into the palace. Buck and Erson fell in behind them, awkwardly looking at each other and then looking away. Pires lead them all to the small meeting room, where the cook was going to be bringing their lunch. They’d thought about taking Alkset to the banquet hall, but that seemed like too much of a song and dance for a plan that was to include no singing or dancing on Buck’s part.

As soon as they sat down at the wide stone table – Erson and Pires on one side, Buck and Alkset on the other – Erson leaned across and said, “Alkset, could I have a quick word in private?”

Buck stared at him, and at Pires who was resolutely facing forward. Alkset paused with her mouth open, looking from one to the other. Eventually she shook her head and said, “Yes, of course, your Highness.”

Buck chuckled slightly. Obviously, she was going to go along with the suggestion of royalty, especially if that was who she was here to see. But if she’d forgotten momentarily that she was in the presence of royalty, and not three awkward, bickering teenagers, he could sympathise with that.

Once the two of them had left, Pires said to Buck, “Well, this has been a mediocre start. What do you think they’re talking about?”

“You don’t think maybe…?” Buck put his fingertips to the surface and had his hand scurry around the table.

“He wouldn’t…” Pires frowned. “It seems like the two of you had just made peace.”

“He’s stopped farting every time I speak,” Buck said, “I think peace is a bit of a stretch. Didn’t you hear about our, uh, argument?”

“No?”

Buck described the confrontation between himself and Erson and Myal at his treehouse. “I figured at least one of them would have told you, asking you to get me to leave again. Maybe they’re giving up on that…”

They were both silent for a moment, but before either could offer any further theories, Erson and Alkset came back into the room and retook their seats. Alkset gave Buck a small smile as she sat down beside him. Buck tried to smile back, but all he could think about was Simone. He pictured his father passing her across… It was such a dark room. He barely remembered anything other than the low light, his dad’s long flowing hair and that first little squeak from Simone as she scuttled into his palms.

“Buttane!”

Buck snapped out of his memories and looked over at Pires, who was clicking her fingers to get his attention. He wondered how many times she had called his name.

“Sorry, yes, shall we get on with things?” he asked.

Pires looked from Erson to Alkset and back again. “We all good?”

Erson nodded, and Alkset said, “Yes, good to go. Where shall we begin?”

Pires cleared her throat. “Well, what we’re hoping to get out of this on the Resadorian end is a working trading relationship between our two nations. We understand why this would not have been appropriate in the past, and we hope to change the Boriasen understanding of our people. All our people, that is, not just Resador.”

“Indeed,” Erson said. “I am here to represent the interests of the kingdom as a whole. On a personal level, I would love to establish some sort of ambassadorial role as the opposite counterpart to yours.”

“Sounds reasonable so far,” Alkset said. “What we would like is to bring the monarch of this kingdom onto our council of assembled royalty.”

“Wait, how much royalty do you have assembled?” Buck asked.

“Four heads of state so far,” Alkset said. “It is currently supplemented by some nobles as well, so until it expands significantly we probably could take you both on.”

“Take us where?” Pires asked. “I have a duchy to run… Don’t your monarchs have kingdoms to rule?”

Alkset waved a hand. “Most of the members have children they leave the business of ruling to. In this case I feel it may be more suitable to leave your parents ensconced here, your Highness, and take over instead perhaps you and your sister. The details can be arranged later, of course. We just need to make sure that such a move would be conducive to both our council and your kingdom.”

“I would honestly love nothing more than to join your council,” Erson said. He smiled widely, properly happy, like Buck hadn’t seen in weeks.

“Excellent,” Alkset said. “That’s exactly what I wanted to hear. I think it would be worth discussing matters in more detail for a few days, but this is a brilliant start. Thank you, Pires, for making this happen.”

Pires smiled too, and said, “You’re very welcome. I’m glad that we’ve managed to move past my father.”

“In our conversation today or in diplomatic relations?” Alkset asked, raising one eyebrow.

“Both!” Pires exclaimed, bursting into laughter. Buck grinned and joined her, and a moment later so did Alkset and even Erson.

As they all pulled themselves together, Alkset turned to Buck and said, still chuckling slightly. “By the way, you not wondering why I speak your language so well?”

Buck’s eyebrows shot up. “Uh… well, I guess my father might have taught some people?”

“Yes, he did. In fact, these days he’s my best friend, and I thought you might like to talk about a reunion with him,” Alkset said. She glanced at Erson briefly, who nodded ever so slightly, but didn’t look at Buck.

“I – uh,” Buck mumbled, trying to get his mind of the increasingly inscrutable Erson. He shut his eyes and squeezed them tight, then as he reopened them he faced straight at Alkset. “Yes! I would like that very much.”

“Well, the thing is, he’s quite integral to some of our society’s industry… Okay that’s a lie. Personally, I would be fine with it. But not everybody is enthusiastic about the idea of him coming back here.” Alkset chewed on her lip.

“Don’t worry,” Buck said, “I understand.” If she was his father’s friend then there was every chance she already knew about the hastily smuggled Simone – in fact, maybe everyone did and that was why his father wasn’t to be allowed back any time soon. Still, on the off chance she didn’t, he wasn’t going to get his father in any more trouble than was necessary.

“Right, well,” Pires said, clapping her hands together. “This all sounds wonderful, but I think for the next hour or so we have some more pressing business to attend to. Come in, Claunene!”

The double doors to the room were opened by a pair of young palace guards, followed by the beaming figure of the head cook, Claunene. He was a tall, lanky olive-skinned man with multicoloured stains all over his uniform. He dragged along a small cart with one shelf at waist height and another down at ankle height. On it was a huge platter of curry, the smell of which whooshed towards them as the guards closed the doors again. Buck grinned even as he pictured Simone darting in and diving for the food.

Claunene passed out some plates that were stored on the bottom shelf, bowing as he did so. “I hope you all enjoy a classic Rehon curry, the perfect distilment of our culture.”

“Ah yes,” Alkset said, “Doisene showed us how to make this.”

Buck smirked at Pires, raising one eyebrow. He wondered if maybe next meal Claunene might be allowed to venture for something more complex than a basic curry. Maybe, if he played his cards right, he’d even get to sing at some point.

I found it hilarious that as soon as they all sat down, Erson was like "hey let's step our for a minute". And I feel like that was intentional judging by how Alkset reacted to it and how the other two reacted and like. Maybe it was only the first step in Erson disrupting Alkset's visit. XD

So Alkset is actually very cooperative! There wasn't much negotiation at all here, which is amazing because there almost always is some amount of bickering during political negotiations. But Alkset seems pretty lenient, though there still seems to be little wiggle room in regards to Buck's father. When it comes to the trade arrangement, though, I feel like... well, she could still have something up her sleeve for when they discuss later. This is clearly just a lunch and not meant to discuss heavy matters yet, so I may be jumping the gun here. The juicy part of negotiations could still be coming.

Especially considering we don't know what Erson said to her outside the meeting room. That could easily turn things around on Buck and Pires if they're not careful.

I'm very curious about this council, and I'm very wary about Erson jumping the gun already and saying he'd join, but I think he's seeing it as his opportunity to make the difference he's hoping to make. But being the cautious person that I am, I am suspicious as to what this council is planning to do and why Alkset might want them to join. Perhaps she simply values their opinions and wants them to be a part of a peaceful organization as an ambassador role or even a global organization of some sort. It's all really unclear and I feel like the discussions later will shed more light on what exactly Erson would be getting himself into.

I was totally with Pires' skepticism here, and also in her defense, she has a duchy to run. Which is a great point because it seemed a bit presumptuous of Alkset to assume Pires would be able to join them as well since she clearly doesn't have her own children or anyone to take over for her. Which only further concerned me as to what exactly is up Alkset's sleeves or what this council is going to do. Considering it's her only real request here in this negotiation process, it must hold a lot of value for her and her home country to have at least Erson join them.

Anyway, it's all speculation at this point because not many details were given here at all, but they're clearly coming and my brain is SO curious as to what is going on.

I was majorly happy to hear that Alkset was so willing to have Buck see his father again. The fact that she offered it herself is actually huge, like his father isn't really that far out of reach if Buck is allowed to see him again. But it does sound like Alkset doesn't have a ton of leeway here either because they value Buck's father too much to allow much more freedom in this area. Still, while his father may still be held "prisoner" over there, he's allowed visitors, and that alone is a huge opportunity for Buck.

Also, I'm not gonna lie, I totally wondered if Simone was going to be on one of those dishes at the end. Like a scene in Disney's The Little Mermaid, where Sebastian ended up being on one of the platters and Ariel's like quietly shuffling him onto her own plate. XD BUT Simone was purposely handed off to someone else, so whew. XD

ExOmelas says...

Hmmm... I never really intended for Alkset to feel like she had an ulterior motive. She's supposed to be sort of like the Federation from Star Trek - reaching out a hand to a new civilisation to join the group. Sort of like if a new country wanted to join the European Union *cough* when Scotland goes indepenedent *cough*. The EU would welcome that because the more co-operation the better. I think this is part of my anticlimactic problem, like I've clearly built them up to be more intimidating than they are. Will have a think about this.

Thanks for the review! :D

And I'm back for the next part.

First Impression: Well...that was less exciting than I expected although the fact that it wasn't exciting was probably a good thing for Buck in general which is great. Pretty surprising stuff there with Buck's father.

Well that was a smart move on their part.

I wouldn't blame her definitely. Erson rarely behaves like an actual prince. But...well...interesting number of private conversations that Erson is having these days.

Breathes big sigh of relief.

Mild politics sneaking in here.

Okay...we're mentioning some of the other lands in this world. Wonder if that's going anywhere.

Well...that's nice to see although I'm still mad at him for making me wear those gas masks so many times. Those are expensive.

Very interesting developments indeed. That would probably explain more about how she recognized Buck so easily.

Things moving in interesting directions. Let's see where this takes us.

the double doors to the room were opened by a pair of young palace guards, followed by the beaming figure of the head cook, Claunene. He was a tall, lanky olive-skinned man with multicoloured stains all over his uniform. He dragged along a small cart with one shelf at waist height and another down at ankle height. On it was a huge platter of curry, the smell of which whooshed towards them as the guards closed the doors again. Buck grinned even as he pictured Simone darting in and diving for the food.

This curry is making me nervous.

A happy thought to end on....but will it indeed continue to be that way...

Aaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Another great part. Quite a bit of interesting things in this way. Quite heavy on possible hints for where this story may end up going. And Alkset is continuing to get more interesting. Her character is getting some good development so far.

ExOmelas says...

ah, you know what i think i've figured out why this is seeming anticlimactic for @IcyFlame. when you say it's "less exciting" i realise that makes sense because there's less "excitement" for poor Buck to have to contend with. I was at one point considering this being where Erson properly messes things up for Buck and Pires, so there was a big climax to here, but I have since had other ideas... that I hope will be more interesting in the long run... Hold tight I guess! :P

Thanks for the review ^.^

KateHardy says...

Your Welcome!!
Ah yup pretty much...this sounded like it was heading for a larger explosion. But if you promise excitement I shall wait. Definitely going to hold tight. :D

IcyFlame says...

Yeah, I think the anticlimactic bit for me was just that Buck has been worrying/thinking about this for ages so when it actually goes well it surprises me!

ExOmelas says...

Entirely fair from both of you xD

KateHardy says...

:D

Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:40 am

I'm back!

I totally intended to do this yesterday but got distracted, I'm sorry.

Pires lead them all to the small meeting room, where the cook was going to be bringing their lunch.

Uh-oh, let's hope Simone is plenty far away!

He couldn't have done that before they sat down? Maybe he could pause at the door so they don't have to walk all the way in then all the way out?

But if she’d forgotten momentarily that she was in the presence of royalty, and not three awkward, bickering teenagers, he could sympathise with that.

Haha!

“He’s stopped farting every time I speak,” Buck said,

The sign of true forgiveness.

Pires smiled too, and said, “You’re very welcome. I’m glad that we’ve managed to move past my father.

So they'd have to move? I'm a little lost here.

“Yes, he did. In fact, these days he’s my best friend, and I thought you might like to talk about a reunion with him,” Alkset said

And she didn't bring him with her to say hello to his son?

Hmm, I feel this little section was a bit rushed. Alkset would let him come back, permanently or just for a visit? Does she not have power to overrule people who say no? Or to invite Buck to come and visit them?

So there were a couple of parts of this that confused me, but I think I've highlighted them above! Again, I feel like there are some parts that are a bit anticlimactic - we've waited ages to hear news of Buck's father so I feel like maybe that was answered a bit too quickly? But that might also just be because of reading this all broken up! It will be much easier to tell pacing when it's all together.

Hope this was somewhat helpful. I know you're not doing LMS anymore, but please let me know when you're planning to post the next part :)

Icy

I just write poetry to throw my mean callous heartless exterior into sharp relief. I’m going to throw you off the ship anyway.
— Vogon Captain (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)