A Fool's Bucket - Ch. 1.1

by ExOmelas

It was just gone midday in the city marketplace, and Buck was determined to cheer up these banana vendors if it was the last thing he did. He was standing in the centre of the large field of short, well-maintained grass. As he took a deep breath balanced on one leg on his bucket - as he did whenever he offered a song to an assembled crowd - none of the vendors even had the energy to shoo him away. They were arranged roughly in a circle, with a few gaps where there hadn't been enough vendors to fill all spaces.

Every single stall was completely dead. Not a single customer could be seen for miles around. Well, except Buck. But he didn't really count because he was getting his afternoon tea later, from the palace, when he had lunch with the Duchess to go over strategy.

"Oh, there once was a boy named Nana," Buck began to sing.

"And everyone thought he was someone's grandmother but actually he really liked bananas - we know!" snapped a vendor to Buck's left.

Buck stopped singing and slowly, with his arms held out in a perfectly poised arabesque, pivoted around to face the man who'd spoken. He was one of the younger vendors in the marketplace, barely nineteen years old if Buck remembered right. He couldn't recall the man's name, but he knew that for some reason he'd been unable to take his place in Queen Merhen's army with the rest of his generation. His short, coarse brown hair and stocky frame however suggested a man just waiting to hear that decision had been overturned.

"Look, it's not my fault there aren't that many songs about bananas," Buck said. His left leg had been rigidly straight in the air behind him, but now he swung it about without touching the ground, using it to accentuate his words. "Nor is it my fault that no other vendors showed up today... nor customers."

The woman at the next stall over called out to him. She was also fairly young, but her rolled up sleeves and greasy apron spoke of someone who was exactly where she wanted to be. She shouted, "You know, instead of memorising songs about boys with some unusual nicknames, Bucket, you could have sent word to the rainforest trading point that the prince was coming to visit. We're not stupid enough to think that anyone would prioritise market day over the chance to go watch his procession." She set down a wooden box of bananas she'd been holding behind her stall and spread her hands wide. "I mean, for many folks, this is a once in a lifetime experience. How often does the prince bother coming all the way down here?"

Buck pursed his lips and swivelled carefully around to see the expressions of the rest of the banana vendors. A couple had actually packed up and left since he'd arrived to explain the reason for today's lack of business, but most seemed to be waiting just in case. Just in case of what, Buck wasn't sure, but they did have a lot of stock to shift.

The banana vendors had been the only ones deep enough in the jungle that week that it had been considered time consuming for the city council to track them all down. Now, they all had folded arms, snarling faces or wistful, glum eyes and slouched posture.

"I could sing you a song about the prince's arrival - make you think you're really there?" Buck raised his voice high, as if he were offering food to a crying child. "Or how about one concerning the wonders of the deep jungle?"

"No!" screamed at least five of them in unison.

The young woman who'd spoken second sighed and said, "Can't you just... go?"

Buck shook his head and waggled his airborne leg. "Not until I see a smile on all those sourpuss faces. Come on, how about the song of the market? Maybe if I sing loud enough the prince will be unable to resist the sound of the heart of Resador!"

The woman put her hand over her eyes. "Oh, whatever. I should know better than try to stop you singing once you're on one leg."

Buck grinned, made sure his floppy red hat was in order, and began to serenade them.

***

An hour and a half, twenty songs, and one reluctantly joined in with final chorus later, Buck finally set his left foot back down beside his right. He offered a short bow, then hopped off his overturned bucket. Without looking, he reached down behind himself and picked it up, swinging it around so that when he brought it to the front it was chest height and the right way up again.

"No. No way, Buck. We are not paying you," the grumpy young man said. Buck had discovered during some audience participation that his name was Chopi.

"Ach, we might as well," muttered the woman at the stall over, whose name Buck still hadn't caught, but whom he now thought of as the most vocally gifted banana vendor he'd met in some time. She brought forward a tall silver flask with a gold ring around the top where the lid attached.

"Many thanks," Buck said, grinning widely.

"Are you sure you won't take the flask? It feels wrong not giving you the whole product," the woman said, twisting the lid back on.

"No, no," Buck said. "I ask only for enough hydration to keep my throat alive. I need nothing more than my bucket."

Chopi trudged forward and poured some water into the bucket out of a slightly wider, shorter flask. He muttered, "You should get that tattooed on your forehead. You and your bucket..."

"Ah, but that's what's known as a catchphrase, young man-"

"Buck, you're only four years older than me," Chopi said. "Please shut up."

Buck knew he should never have let the Duchess throw him that twenty-first birthday party. His face paint was brilliant at obscuring his age, but these days everyone knew just how young a spring bean they were listening to the word of.

"Well, my thanks for the water, regardless," Buck said, smiling despite Chopi’s glare.

After the other vendors, or audience members as Buck now liked to think of them, had offered their payments, he bid the marketplace farewell for the day and headed off in the direction of the palace.

The market took place quite far out from the main city, since on a normal Saturday it was actually quite the trendy, bustling spot. There were greengrocers and tailors and armorours dotted around within the city walls but this, this was the real deal. He and the duchess had put a lot of energy into boosting and consolidating the reputation of Resador City over the years, and it was paying off no end in high status merchants.

Buck strolled along the wide dirt track that cut through the flat green plain. It disappeared over a short ridge about a quarter of a mile away, but until then at least it was completely empty. This was quite fortunate for Buck, who would launch into quick, merry skipping whenever he was seen in his face paint and costume. In the dry heat of today, he was glad of the freedom to stroll calmly along, frequently taking sips of water out of the bucket for which he was nicknamed.

High mounds of dirt and grass lined either side of the track like walls where it passed through. In the shelter of these on either side, Buck stretched his muscles and cracked his joints. The city walls were only a hundred or so yards away now, so he had some skipping to do.

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:07 am

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world)

I noticed a lot of chapters from this stuck in the green room. So I decided to select this as my next target. Expect a flood of reviews in the next four to five days.

First Impression: Not too bad for an opening chapter. Also bananas...this seems to be lodged in brain for some reason.

So this is interesting to start off with. You start to wonder who this Duchess is and what sort of strategy would involve making banana vendors happy.

So here I'm assuming they were not tracked down to warn them that business may be low.

This is some fairly realistic banter there.

So all of this makes for a pretty interesting character in Buck to get the readers immediately interested in reading further.

There were greengrocers and tailors and armorours dotted around within the city walls but this, this was the real deal.

I think that should be armorers although I use American English so maybe not.

That's a nice bit of description to end the chapter there.

And that's it for this one.

Overall: This works pretty well as a first chapter. Buck seems likable and he seems to be off to some scheming soon which all work to get the reader interested. So good start.

So I noticed there were like 7 reviews already for this piece so I didn't read through the lot. If I repeated anything anyone else said, sorry. And of course remember to take what you think is helpful and forget the rest.

TheBlueCat wrote a review...

Howdy!

My, my, what a story we have here! It doesn't feel right to say anything about it yet since all we seem to know is banana vendors and this strange, eccentric bucket man! He really is quite a character and I look forward to learning more about him! I'm very curious as to what his actual job is since there was something about tea with a Duchess?? Oh boy.
He seem very disliked since he's low-key kinda annoying xD (not to me, just the vendors) This is going to be interesting.
Also I really want to learn more about this city since all I picked up is that there's a rainforest and a Duchess. I'm also ready for the fantasy so bring it haha

Overall, I'm intrigued but wish there was a little more to draw me in to the story.

See ya in the next chapter! =^-^=
~TheBlueCat

ExOmelas says...

Hiya, thanks for the review! Just out of interest, what kind of thing would have drawn you in more? The hook here is meant to be the meeting with the Duchess but fair enough if I haven't given enough reason to be invested in that. Hopefully I get there by the end of this full chapter, but if there's anything I could have done in this first half let me know. No pressure though :)

Bisc

ExOmelas says...

Actually I reread that and I guess I just mean the hook is the fact he has some unspecified business at the palace xD

TheBlueCat says...

Um, I'm not sure, but I guess I'm just used to jumping into the action. It's been a while since I've read a calm one, so it's probably just fine. Tbh action at the beginning can be tiring occasionally.

ExOmelas says...

ah, that's fair. sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot :P

TheBlueCat says...

haha it's cool. I get that you need to know why as a writer.

ExOmelas says...

yee, me and Jabber have been having long detailed discussions in the comments but it's not like we did that from the first chapter xD

Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:30 am
redvictory wrote a review...

I love this! I don't think I have time tonight, but I can't wait to read more of this. Honestly I just have one piece of constructive criticism: "memorising" is actually spelled "memorizing." I don't even know if that counts as criticism! This was just a legitimately enjoyable read. I legitimately smiled when you mentioned the floppy red hat, that was just such an endearing little touch. All in all, awesome work! Keep writing, and I can't wait to keep reading!

ExOmelas says...

Hi, thanks for this! I'm from the UK so "memorising" actually is how it's spelled for me xD but thanks for the kind words :)

redvictory says...

Oh wow, I didn%u2019t know that! I%u2019m so sorry!

ExOmelas says...

no worries at all ^.^

Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:53 pm
Lionhero333 says...

Hey, I just wanna say that i enjoyed this very much. Buvk seems like a really cool guy. You did a very very good showing his personalty. I could kndve hear him singing in my head. I will definitely keep on reading and keep an eye out for more material you add on. Great job.

mthanmark263 wrote a review...

Hi it is mathanmark253 here and I really love your story here specially Buck's character which is sweet. kind and I find him a bit funny. It was a really interesting story to read. I was not paying attention to the mistakes but I loved the way this story sparked my imagination. Keep on writing you really talented. I can see that this was chapter 1 I can not wait for chapter two because I am anxious to know what is going to happen next.
Love your work you really talented

I'm scouring the new LMSV entries, so I'm excited to have come by one of your novels finally! And might I add, I was not disappointed.

The main thing to achieve in first chapters is provide intrigue, keep the reader interested in the story as soon as possible. It looks like this isn't even the full chapter but merely the first half of it, and I think you achieved just that.

Buck is such a unique and colorful character. You do such a great job introducing him as an eccentric individual who already has a reputation in that part of town. I had a lot of fun watching him interact with everyone and picturing his little roadshow. He sounds like a guy that could easily scare away potential customers, let alone continually sing the same songs over and over. I can see why the vendors might not like him all that much. XD

It's interesting that for someone with a reputation with these vendors, he doesn't know any of their names [yet]. He does eventually learn Chopi, but it felt like he had been here before and the vendors knew him already, but maybe the vendors only heard of him or seen him elsewhere, and never at their own stalls? I find it peculiar!

I'm also intrigued about what the palace might want of him! He's going to meet up with the Duchess to talk ~*strategy*~ and it's so interesting to think someone so eccentric and... well, crazy would even be asked to come to the palace.

Hopefully I stop by for the next part 'cause I definitely look forward to finding out what's going on. A fun start to your LMS, and good luck on your adventure!

Jabber, the One and Only!

ExOmelas says...

Thanks so much for the review! I think the dynamic that leads to them knowing his name but him not knowing theirs is basically celebrity? Like, local celebrity. Maybe like the class clown on a city-wide level. Basically everyone's seen him perform at one time or another but there's a lot more people than he could build relationships with. I'd say they're his fans, but that would imply a good deal more appreciation of his performances :P (tbf most of the time people voluntarily come to see his shows but on this occasion it's a hot day and the banana vendors are losing business so they're very grumpy xD)

Thanks again! :D

Lionhero333 says...

If you are looking for new work to review can you please check out my I just uploaded my prologue today and I may upload the very first chapter

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:43 am
keystrings wrote a review...

Hey there Bisc! I was quite curious to check out some of these LMS novels, so I've finally arrived at this one. I do hope to go and review the other chapters for Janny, but that might come after I've done my own LMS writing, hehe. ^^

Here, this is quite an introduction to the character of Buck and this different fantasy land - Resador City. I like the slight world-building here, with describing how the city normally functions as well as there being markets and royalty, as this helps the reader evaluate what time of "fantasy" period this could be set in, compared to more medieval times or modern ones.

I think Buck has an interesting role here, especially since he's a little different than typical main characters. He's sort of an unlikable fellow, at least in the eyes of those that have to deal with him constantly being up and about and singing and being loud in general. Getting the story in his view though is quite nice since we get to see how true future events would be or if he's going to clearly be an unreliable narrator as akin to stories that the narrator might not be the good guy.

This story definitely starts with a good beginning since I would argue that an important part of a fantasy novel is to greet the reader with what this is going to be - from the summary you put in your Writer's Corner thread, I can only imagine that this go-lucky-happy time that Buck is currently in might not last until the end of the novel. Interesting.

A couple of things to go over here would be to give a little description on Buck - I definitely like getting that neat detail of how he stands on one foot when he sings, but something more would help in really creating a good idea for his character. Not to mention that this does feel a little slow, but I don't think that's too big of a deal as long as the next chapter adds a little more to the plot.

I think this was really interesting! And I'd certainly like to get tagged for this novel as well XD

(now don't mind me as I try to review Janny)

ExOmelas says...

Thanks fraey! Yeah in terms of describing him my plan is for him to head to his treehouse (which is a sort of dressing room type thing, will explain in the chapter) and he'll see himself in a mirror. I think him wiping off his facepaint will be a good chance to introduce a general description of him.

Which does bring me to the pacing. Is it too slow? Or is this still okay? I made a conscious effort of having it be slower than the start of Janny's story, because Janny's was my summer novella challenge so the whole story had to be over in 25k. I'm not actually sure how long chapter 1 will last... kinda pantsing this one xD

Thanks again! :D

keystrings says...

Hm. So I think it is a little slow? But most fantasy novels have to start slow to let the reader know about what kind of world this place is, and how people interact. I think it works!

ExOmelas says...

Okay, cool :D

Lionhero333 says...

Can you check out mine and tell me what you think??? I would love your honest feedback

Dossereana wrote a review...

Hello @DougalOfBiscuits I am going to try to do a very quick review. I don't even no what to say to this one, I thought that the beginning part was really funny. Great job on this chapter it mad me laugh bisc. and I no I read to many of your chapters. but you such a good writer. I look forward to reading the next chapter it seams like it mite be fun to read all of the story's you post. The first part of this chapter was the most funny I think.

It was just gone midday in the city marketplace, and Buck was determined to cheer up these banana vendors if it was the last thing he did.

Banana vendors lol, I just hate to laugh at this line. I really thought that it was funny.

So that is all that I can say, so keep up the good work. I would love to here the next chapter. also when ever you post a work can you pleas tag me, because I really like reading your stuff.

@Dossereana Out In The Sky Of Reviews

Gnomish wrote a review...

Hello! I'm here to review this prologue!

I really like how it's written, and the humour in the plot. I'm not sure who Buck is yet, so I suppose I'd better continue reading the next chapters!

I'm a bit confused on how well Buck knew the banana vendors. Sometimes it seems like he regularly sings for them, and other times it seems like he just met them (like not knowing their names). Also, what exactly is a banana vendor? Is it just someone who sells bananas? One last thing, this may make sense in the setting of this story, but when the narrator says that not a single costumer could be seen for miles around, is he exaggerating? Or are they in a wide open field and can literally see for miles around?

Anyways, just a few things I noticed. Can't wait for the first chapter!
-Gnomish

The most important thing is to preserve the world we live in. Unless people understand and learn about our world, habitats, and animals, they won't understand that if we don't protect those habitats, we'll eventually destroy ourselves.
— Jack Hanna